Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supernatural renewed for 6th season

Supernatural renewed for 6th season

http://tv.ign.com/articles/106/1069417p1.html

Not happy about Kripke stepping down, but the remainder of the staff has been there from day one, so there is hope.

While this season has been entertaining, it seems like the overall focus has been on more standalone episodes instead of dealing with the overall "Apocalypse" story arc. Which to me, has been a little disappointing. (Though I'm sure they'll ramp it up over the last 6-8 episodes for the season....)

If they wrap up the 5-year story that has been planned from day 1, where can they go for season 6?
    This space for rent, apparently.....

I dont know I think this season has been one of the best ones yet. I like that its not a overall story arc because its the end of the world and its going to come slowly with other threats besides solely heaven and hell to deal with. They have faced two of the four horseman and each one shows them a weakness they have.

I think a 6th season should be easy enough, say that Sam and Dean do "win" and keep Lucifer and Michael from fighting and the world does not end and goes back to normal, there will still be monsters to slay and the hunter life goes on. Maybe it will fast forward 5 or so years and they can achieve some sense of normalcy.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, I'm honestly surprise - I enjoy the show a lot (only got into it last summer and did a lot of catching up), but I know Kripke and the two stars had been pretty up front about wanting the show to end after Season 5.

I wonder what the heck the plot will be for a Season 6? Although I have to confess I really like the standalone episodes - the different ghost stories and urban legends and whatnot, so I won't mind more of those. But if the angst goes with the resolution of the 'main' plot, I wonder how they'll replace that plotline?
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Wow, I'm honestly surprise - I enjoy the show a lot (only got into it last summer and did a lot of catching up), but I know Kripke and the two stars had been pretty up front about wanting the show to end after Season 5.
    Well the 2 main stars signed contracts for 6 years when the show started, it was only the creator who said he had the story set for 5 years. Jared and Jensen have always voiced (especially in the last few years) that they would like to continue as long as the show is running.

I wonder what the heck the plot will be for a Season 6? Although I have to confess I really like the standalone episodes - the different ghost stories and urban legends and whatnot, so I won't mind more of those. But if the angst goes with the resolution of the 'main' plot, I wonder how they'll replace that plotline?
    I trust they will find a way, the 6th season talk has been around for at least 2 years so I imagine they have already set up some possibilities for when it was confirmed to happen.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Well that's interesting. At least Sera is taking over for Kripke; she writes some of the best episodes, so the show's in good hands.
    Where's the rest of the Vintage New Adventures?
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Hoove, Chef Allen, Catra variants, Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon, Skystalker, Shecky

And another good note is that Kripke's not leaving the show completely. He's moving on to try working on a new show for the network, but said he's still going to be involved with Supernatural on a creative capacity, so he's still going to be overseeing it.

That's great news for us. I'd imagine that season 6 will deal with the brothers really getting back to where they were in season 1 again, only having worked out most of the problems they had simmering below the surface then. Like soldiers coming back from war adjusting to life again, they're going to be healing that brotherly bond that was so strained these last few years.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Heroic Warrior
    On a related note, I hope Castiel sticks around for the sixth season - he's my favorite element of the show.

On a related note, I hope Castiel sticks around for the sixth season - he's my favorite element of the show.
    from what my sister told me he has signed on for a 6th season too.

Agreed, he's become a real fantastic addition to the show. I love all the scenes he's in.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    So far this 6th season has not lived up to the epicness that was seasons 1-5.

SPOILERS

The Sam missing his soul should have been found out in the 3rd episode and he should have had it back by the 6th. This season is dragging soooo bad.

Thoughts?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    So far this 6th season has not lived up to the epicness that was seasons 1-5.

SPOILERS

The Sam missing his soul should have been found out in the 3rd episode and he should have had it back by the 6th. This season is dragging soooo bad.

Thoughts?
    I wouldn't say this season has been *bad*, but there is definitely a "been there, done that" feeling I'm getting.

Joining up w/Samuel/other hunters? Think Jo & Ellen from Season 2.

Dark Sam? Been seeing that since Season 3 when Ruby showed up. (Moreso in Season 4)

Again, not that this show is bad, but it feels like for the most part, there's not much they're doing this season that we haven't already seen in some way before...
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Heroic Warrior
    I've been underwhelmed this season. I had been hoping that the show would gear more towards a Season 1 approach (individual monster-hunting, less 'biblical' overarching plot), but the whole Sam-with-no-soul thing not only dragged on, but I felt it ruined the chemistry of the show.

I know that was part of the point, but only in the past three or four weeks (since it came back from winter hiatus) has the show really felt like 'Supernatural' again, with Sam & Dean behaving like themselves. Some of the humor has come back, as well.

But at this point, I don't see the point to the show. They've already faced the devil and the apocalypse, so now we're looking to the 'mother of all monsters'. OK, could be interesting, but in a lot of ways this feels like a retread.

They killed off a lot of the interesting recurring characters, and I feel they're somewhat underusing Bobby and definitely underusing Castiel. It just feels like the show isn't really going anywhere.

As much as I've enjoyed it, I think based on Season 6, if they renew it for a Season 7, it might be a mistake.

Evil Master of Warcraft

As much as I've enjoyed it, I think based on Season 6, if they renew it for a Season 7, it might be a mistake.
    I have a friend who is big into the supernatural and he sort of prides himself on figuring out what they are fighting before they figure it out on the show. I remember early this season I asked him what is going on with Sam and the storyline? His response (without reading anything on the net) is that Sam had no soul, and the monsters were raging war against the humans.

He called it. I think the key is the monsters raging war against the humans. The soul thing dragged out too long. The earth mother was released halfway through the season. I THINK they have time to salvage this season and if they do it right, have a good season 7.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I can tell you right now there is no IF, it will be renewed and the guys are work on their new contracts.

The show will be on the air for as long as its two stars want to be in it.

I expect it to go to at least an 8th Season if not 10 like Smallville.

It is CW's 2nd biggest show behind the Vampire Diaries and with Smallville ending (its 3rd highest ratings show) they are going to keep it going.

This season was bound to be a big of a mess and anyone who did not see that on the wall was not paying attention behind the scenes. The show was never supposed to go on this long and the showrunner who created it left this season (he still supervises but its under the watch of a new person). It is bound to have stumbling blocks while they find out a way to create a new set of stories to continue the show.

With that said the episodes this season with Crowley and "Appointment in Samarra" were some of the best ones the show has done in its 6 years.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I can tell you right now there is no IF, it will be renewed and the guys are work on their new contracts.

The show will be on the air for as long as its two stars want to be in it.

I expect it to go to at least an 8th Season if not 10 like Smallville.
    Are you speculating, or do you know something?

I have no problem if they can turn the corner - and as I said, I've enjoyed the past few weeks more than I enjoyed the entire first half of the season, so if that's the look of the future, I'm OK with that. But by the time they got to the Samarra episode, I was really not enjoying the show, and I gather a lot of folks weren't as much as previously.

Of course, this raises the question - how much higher can the stakes go?

But if they can keep it going, and keep it good, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    Well that's interesting. At least Sera is taking over for Kripke; she writes some of the best episodes, so the show's in good hands.
    I almost want to take this statement back.. I haven't been impressed with anything this season, except maybe a joke or reference here and there. Soulless Sam was much better than 'Souled' Sam, I wished they had kept him that way. The best episode imo so far was "Weekend at Bobby's", so I'm trying to justify continuing to watch it nowadays.
    Where's the rest of the Vintage New Adventures?
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Hoove, Chef Allen, Catra variants, Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon, Skystalker, Shecky

master of hiphop
    such a great show

been watching since day 1 and i personally think Season 5 was the best. But that being said i think this season is a close 2nd basically starting from scratch, new angles new plots and new faces, but the last ep left me wanting more.. Sam burning from his memories. I think now the show is gonna step up one more notch..

side note.. sorry BRING BACK SG1 and ATLANTIS SGU SUCKS
    sorry...

would love to see a season 10 of Supernat

GIAH!
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I'm not giving up on it. I understand they have to take the show now to a different path. There has been a few good episodes this year but as a whole I think it has dragged out too long.

But at this point, I don't see the point to the show. They've already faced the devil and the apocalypse, so now we're looking to the 'mother of all monsters'. OK, could be interesting, but in a lot of ways this feels like a retread.
    That's how I feel about it. Personally last season's climax was incredibly disappointing. If that was the apocalypse, it really didn't live up the hype.

I'm actually sick of Sam's endless internal conflicts. Ironically he feels guilty over what he did when he had no soul and was not in the driver-seat. (This makes no sense to me.) But he's apparently ok with the nurse he killed to drink her blood to take down Lilith and the other people he drained to face Lucifer.

The demons were my favorite part of the series, but they de-fanged them too much by making them far too easy to kill. First Sam can control them far too easily, and then the bone burning thing was like kicking a good group of baddies while they were down.

The monsters are an interesting approach, but I don't find most of them very interesting. Was I the only person who thought the Supernatural version of dragons was lame???

Sometimes the brothers get on my nerves because they have been very disrespectful to Castiel at times, and I think his character is hard on the writers because he's too powerful and could end conflicts too easily.

They never ask Castiel how they can help him, but instead, demand his help whenever they're in trouble and are quick to give him a tongue lashing for not complying with their every demand.

Additionally, some of the monsters have appeared far too weak to feel like a real threat. I would have rather seen the pagan gods attempt to take over. Veritas was my favorite villain so far this season, and Kali vanished from the series after her fire-blast failed to harm Lucifer.

It would be nice if the brothers faced a real challenge.

Sometimes I think the show fails to recognize bad guys that are cool and give them their proper due. For example, the actor who played the alpha vampire was AWESOME, and they reduced his role to a bit part.

I also loved the demon last season who had pretended to be Sam's friend in his earlier years but had actually manipulated him during that period. This demon kicked the crap out of Dean, but by the end of the episode, Sam manhandled him. I was pretty mad about that. It was another case of the writers ruining a potentially awesome villain.
    Last edited by Blue; February 24, 2011 at 12:12am.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Was I the only person who thought the Supernatural version of dragons was lame???
    I thought it was a neat take on it, but at the same time I thought "Amazing how every mythical creature looks like a human."

I thought it was a neat take on it, but at the same time I thought "Amazing how every mythical creature looks like a human."
    You guys realize its a small budget show on probably the smallest major network on television right

Its kind of like when people complain about Smallville, I mean yes Supernatural has a large legion of fans but it gets at best ~2million viewers. That does not let you do jack **** for a budget, we are lucky they even attempt the crappy CGI for things

With that said I loved the latest episode, just like the Supernatural Convention and the TV Land episodes I thought this was really well done.

I also liked last weeks Arachni episode, could do without some of the drama with Dean since there is not much he can do about the situation he is in

You guys realize its a small budget show on probably the smallest major network on television right

Its kind of like when people complain about Smallville, I mean yes Supernatural has a large legion of fans but it gets at best ~2million viewers. That does not let you do jack **** for a budget, we are lucky they even attempt the crappy CGI for things
    I've heard this defense before, and it's very odd. Apparently any critique of the show can be deflected with "Oh, they have too small a budget." You write around that constraint, and keep it in mind when you're coming up with plots.

Don't have things you can't make look cool. Don't have things you can't afford, and don't treat the show like a state budget.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I'm sure a lot of people heard this little tidbit of Supernatural trivia, but Kripke said after they filmed the Wendigo episode that it was a rule on the show from that point forward that all creatures have to have a way to look 100% human since it was so difficult to make anything look so different.

At least with the dragons they showed a glimpse of the dragon wing flying in the storm to show that they are still dragons, they can just shapeshift into people (as many myths have them doing).
    and keep moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I've heard this defense before, and it's very odd. Apparently any critique of the show can be deflected with "Oh, they have too small a budget." You write around that constraint, and keep it in mind when you're coming up with plots.

Don't have things you can't make look cool. Don't have things you can't afford, and don't treat the show like a state budget.
    That much is true but seriously if you are not considering the budget with any show on the CW you are fooling yourself as to what to expect. I think they do things that might sound good on paper but then come out looking either really bad or not living up to how they envisioned it.

Its not odd at all, CW barely stays on the air and its not to deflect critiques its the truth. They are not at liberty to reshoot or rewrite, for many CW shows its about a one shot deal.

I was still amazed they decided to try to do the end of the world plot but yet did not have the budget or capability to show us the end of the world happening around them. In Supernatural world I guess the end of the world is a really bad thunderstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people heard this little tidbit of Supernatural trivia, but Kripke said after they filmed the Wendigo episode that it was a rule on the show from that point forward that all creatures have to have a way to look 100% human since it was so difficult to make anything look so different.

At least with the dragons they showed a glimpse of the dragon wing flying in the storm to show that they are still dragons, they can just shapeshift into people (as many myths have them doing).
    I think part of that line of thinking also has to do with the success the last few years of the Batman films which were forced to be rooted in realism by Chris Nolan.
    Last edited by markatisu; February 27, 2011 at 05:35pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think part of that line of thinking also has to do with the success the last few years of the Batman films which were forced to be rooted in realism by Chris Nolan.
    Maybe, but I think that was episode two or three of the show. Was Begins out at that point?

I just remember in the interview him saying that the Wendigo turned out looking so awful and silly that it took an editing miracle just to make the creature work for the episode. I saw images of the costume between filming scenes and I didn't think it looked that bad, but according to Kripke, they just felt they didn't want to be in that position again.

Which is too bad, since I think maybe they've gone too far making every last thing look like a normal person. I kind of wished the ghouls had been more deathly and eerie looking as the episode went on to really make them creepier.
    and keep moving forward.