Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin Marks script...

Justin Marks script...

Hey, does anyone have or know where I could obtain a copy of the leaked Justin Marks script? After hearing the new Masterscast, I'd really like to take a look at it.

Heroic Warrior Master_Of_Metropolis's Avatar
    PM me, as I'm not sure we are supposed to post it.

Heroic Warrior
    From what I heard I am on Masters Cast seems to deviate too much from any established continuity. I hope the guys at Sony do better.

Hi all--many of you have PM'ed me for a copy of the script and I am happy to share. But here is where I got it from:
    http://www.mypdfscripts.com/unproduc...f-the-universe

I was able to download it for free, it seems legit, etc. I would rather link straight to the source than answer e-mail after e-mail about it. However, if there is a problem with me doing this, (i.e. the mods don't like this) please take down the post and please let me know!

Thanks all!

--John

Heroic Warrior
    Well the Marks script is all but dead at this point as is whatever WB was planning with MOTU. And since it's out there, yeah that is in fact the real Marks script.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

I couldn't get past more than 20 pages of that garbage. Really? Mattel, this is what you wanted for a script? I mean, this is "GI Joe: Rise of Cobra" bad. "Dragonball: Evolution" bad. "Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li" bad.

I could sneeze a better script.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Hmm, do we know how many drafts of this script were done?

Only starting it, but the dialogue is really, really bad.

I didn't read it yet, but the review in the latest episode of MastersCast is pretty detailed and it doesn't seem that bad. I have a problem with almost all of the Evil Warriors dying, and some other things, but on the whole this movie could have been decent.

I hope the new production team takes what is good from this script and corrects the stuff that everyone agrees are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by hawggie View Post

I couldn't get past more than 20 pages of that garbage. Really? Mattel, this is what you wanted for a script? I mean, this is "GI Joe: Rise of Cobra" bad. "Dragonball: Evolution" bad. "Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li" bad.

Wasn't Justin Marks the Genius writer behind Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li? Cause that would explain it.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Wasn't Justin Marks the Genius writer behind Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li? Cause that would explain it.
    From the thread "Grayskull" (He-Man Movie) Lands New Writer:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I just finished viewing Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li (also by Justin Marks) and I am distressed—not because the film is dreadful (it is), but because Grayskull: Masters of the Universe is nearly identical from the characterization and plot, to the actual dialogue; without hyperbole, it is as if Justin Marks simply substituted the names with those of Masters of the Universe characters:

• An adolescent Chun-Li witnesses Bison (presumably) murder her father; An adolescent Adam witness Keldor murder his father.

• Gen of the Order of the Web trains Chun-Li, promising her vengence if she can "let go of her anger"; Zodak of the Elders trains Adam, promising him vengence if he can "let go of his anger."

• Gen (presumably) sacrifices himself to save Chun-Li from assassins; Zodak sacrifices himself to save Adam from assassins.

• The citizens of Bangkok hide Chun-Li from the authorities; the citizens of Capital City hide Adam from the authorities.

I could go on and on. The most egregious example:

After Cantana, the female companion of Bison, betrays him, he kills her, saying, "You broke my heart"; After Evil-Lyn, the female companion of Skeletor, betrays him, he kills her, saying, "You broke my heart." The scene is identical.

Chun-Li = Adam; Bison = Skeletor; Gen = Zodak; Cantana = Evil-Lyn; Vega = Tri-Klops; Balrog = Trap Jaw—ridiculous.

Downloaded it ages ago, but haven’t read it fully yet. I’ve only read a few random scenes. My main problem is not with the actual story itself, but the dialogue. For the most part, it seems too modern. To "Earthly", if you know what I’m getting at. A bit of fantasy-esque dialogue here and there wouldn't go amiss.

Evil Janitor of Skeletor dr phiz's Avatar
    I didn't think it was horrible... read straight through pretty quick. Don't like how people just got killed, who were a main part of MOTU (Zodak, Randor)
    Also, didn't like the whole part were everyone knows Adam was He-Man.

While we can post it now please be advised that if someone begins with a M tells us to take it down we must. No hard feelings please
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Read it... I don't know but it feels generic. Hated the "Simba Begins" feel that it has. It had some good scenes, but 90% of it didn't feel like MOTU...
    APoE: Wow... It's so similar to SF:TLoChL that its scary...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    While we can post it now please be advised that if someone begins with a M tells us to take it down we must. No hard feelings please
    No worries. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't think it's an awful script. Is it what we all probably want to see? For me, anyway--not really. But I can imagine what they probably were going for. I can also bet cash money that this is not what would have been the final version (better or worse) once producers, directors, actors, etc have their say. Plus, things always change once filming starts. Not that any of that is relevant now!

So the new MOTU movie script, penned by Justin Marks (creator of box office blunders) is shares striking similarities to a Streetfighter script?

This IS the movie we will get. Just accept it. I'm going to go watch the 87 movie again.

Quote Originally Posted by hawggie View Post

It isn't what Mattel wanted. That's why they parted ways with WB. (at least I hope so!)

Heroic Warrior
    Have just read it. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The section where Adam was in the City was a bit too modern. I can understand why King Randor and Zodak were killed because it was to give Adam a focus - but it's been done a lot of times before. I don't think I would've come out of the cinema feeling amazed, more like seen it all before. There weren't many old characters in it and seemed to be a lot of new ones. I was a bit iffy with the Earthy names. And it was nearly the end when Adam becomes He-Man which I thought was a bit pointless. I enjoyed the banter between Adam and Teela which stayed true to the filmaiton and MYP toons. Some of the dialogue was a bit ropey and I wasn't sure what was going on once or twice but it wasn't the worst script I've read. It did feel a little bit too much like the 1987 film.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I read most of it last night - not too bad - but could be much better. There are a few good ideas in there, but some really "typical" stuff too - mostly in the Zodak/Adam scenarios.

Skeletor doesn't seem like Skeletor though!

After reading this, I realised how much I love the 1987 movie! The new script seemed a bit depressing - no light relief - I wanted some Gwildor dialogue to crop up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    This IS the movie we will get.
    No, it’s really not.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I wanted some Gwildor dialogue to crop up!
    Moo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I'm going to go watch the 87 movie again.
    That works for me! I love the 87 movie... Any movie we get nowadays will probably be in the same vein as Transformers 2 or G.I.Joe. Yuck.

Sallah

Heroic Warrior
    This isn't the movie we are getting anymore. This isn't a new script. It's like 2 years old. As for Mattel wanting it or not, eh I dunno. There's nothing that says they DIDN'T like the script or hated it. But the property is now set up at another studio for now so this script is no longer in the cards.

I'm not sure what draft it is. We did know that Marks had been working on the project in 2007. So this could've been a first draft or a later one. This is dated like 2008 so it might not be a first draft.

This script is just week. Things happen too quickly in the beginning and you never really care about or like any of the main characters. The big climax and including the wizards is lame. Its like Marks takes the time to give this big heroic moment for a wizard yet I could've given two craps about that wizard or what he was doing pages before.

Teela is a total pill and the way she's introduced is awkward.

But more than anything Skeletor is pathetic. THAT SUCKS.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Any movie we get nowadays will probably be in the same vein as Transformers 2 or G.I.Joe.
    Great, I honestly loved Transformers 2 and G.I.Joe so I would be happy with that

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    The big climax and including the wizards is lame. Its like Marks takes the time to give this big heroic moment for a wizard
    I read that as "lizards" first time. Bet that would have been a more interesting climax.

Surreal, but more interesting.