Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: Justin Marks script...

  1. #26
    Masta of da Fryin' Pan PanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,120
    I read through the whole thing and it is terrible!!

    Why is Evil Lyn guiding Skeletor??

    Why is Skeletor so weak and dumb?

    Dekkar is an Elder (or an Elder-recruit)??

    Was this written by a teenager? I haven't read a script before, but he has things like "bad-ass magical fight" and "Adam could get used to this" (ie. power).

    This whole thing just seems like a bad fan-fic idea pitched as a movie. The worst thing about it besides the story elements is that it just doesn't feel like Eternia. He got the whole world and mythos completely wrong!
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

  2. #27
    Court Magician frankenstin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    40
    Just read it.I loved the first 4 pages--after that it goes down hill and smashes into a fruit stand.What marks forgot was that motu is a combination of sword and sorcery and sci-fi not just sci-fi.I swear the way he describes the city(after the darkness took over)




    it made me think of the old live action super mario bros movie city scenes look and feel.i dont know it was a weird take for sure.ohh and one more thing waiting till the end to reveal he-man, not such a good idea,lol,thats almost as bad as setting most of the film on earth and look where that got us--robby's ribs.

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,874
    I still think one of the worst ideas in this script was that Skeletor was supposed to be wearing a frigging metal skull mask throughout the entire film. What makes Skelly scary is that he is a skull for a head so he doesn't need a metal skull mask.

    Thank the Elders they are no longer going with this script as it is a complete pile of male bovine manure and drivel

  4. #29
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,154
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I'm not sure what draft it is. We did know that Marks had been working on the project in 2007. So this could've been a first draft or a later one. This is dated like 2008 so it might not be a first draft.
    IMO, the dialogue reads worse than a first draft, almost like placeholder dialogue as the writer was fleshing out the beats, and then never went back to replace it.

    I can just imagine an actor's embarrassment having to rattle off such wooden, cliched stuff, and in a silly costume, no less.

    Unless they have just a monstrous budget, if Mattel wants to attract any actual talent they need to make sure the script contains fleshed-out characters with interesting, or at least fun, dialogue.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior King Miro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    211
    I've read it and didn't like it at all. Too much of a departure from both the original cartoon and the 200x. Plus the tone is completely different as well. They've gone from the fun, light-hearted tone in the toons to dark and depressing in the script. Add that to all of the radical character changes and it's just not He-Man. It's Lord of the Rings with a few He-Man character names sprinkled here and there.

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior Stuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bouncing around between NC, SC and CA...
    Posts
    101
    I definitely didn't like the Marks' script. But I don't see that as an issue anymore. Even so, I don't know that Sony will actually do anything with this while they try so hard to keep the Spider-Man license. I see this going to yet another studio eventually, maybe even back to Warners with a new producing effort...

    I've hated on the Marks' script as many of you have, but who knows if its entirely really his fault. I'm sure the producers had many opinions on the way they wanted this movie to be done and Marks was just hired to write them out. Same thing for Street Fighter. It's a crazy business.
    Last edited by Stuart; March 29, 2010 at 03:05am.

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Even so, I don't know that Sony will actually do anything with this while they try so hard to keep the Spider-Man license. I see this going to yet another studio eventually.
    I fear that to be the case, too. It seems that Sony is putting all their eggs in the basket of an ill-conceived Spider-Man “reboot”.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    This isn't the movie we are getting anymore. This isn't a new script. It's like 2 years old. As for Mattel wanting it or not, eh I dunno. There's nothing that says they DIDN'T like the script or hated it. But the property is now set up at another studio for now so this script is no longer in the cards.

    I'm not sure what draft it is. We did know that Marks had been working on the project in 2007. So this could've been a first draft or a later one. This is dated like 2008 so it might not be a first draft.

    This script is just week. Things happen too quickly in the beginning and you never really care about or like any of the main characters. The big climax and including the wizards is lame. Its like Marks takes the time to give this big heroic moment for a wizard yet I could've given two craps about that wizard or what he was doing pages before.
    I agree. I just opened it up I've only read the first 23 pages so far, but although it's not terrible, everything feels rushed. In the first 20 minutes of the movie, we see the swords of light and darkness being made, see Keldor turned into Skeletor, Randor killed and Skeletor taking over, the introduction of Zodac, the origin of Trap-Jaw, Adam training with Zodac to nearly complete his journey into becoming He-Man, and the Skeletor transforming Eternia into a dystopia.

    To me, it feels more like the script for a 30 minute cartoon pilot than a movie.
    Formerly Mark_Palenik

  9. #34
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,338
    This script does feel like the first draft. One thing you guys have to remember about script writing is that sometimes story is secondary to what the producers and directors want to see on film.

    The producers and directors have a meeting with the writer and they go over scenes and interactions they want to visualize and the script writer includes them. A rough script will get turned in as to get things moving on story boards and budget talks. Then the script starts going over drafts and rewrites over and over again. Some scenes have to get changed and others get cut or added.

    As things get closer to actual filming, we get what's called a "shooting" script. They use this script to film and it has more director guidelines and actor cues. As filming gets going, other script writers or the main script writer is on set in case a director wants an alternate scene or a scene isn't working out as well on film. The director is closely working with the write and he has final approval of what get redone usually.

    After the film get edited and put together under the "Director's cut." The studio then creates the "final draft" script. This is the official script and it only has scenes that are in the film. This script is submitted to film raters and award officials for consideration.
    This is also the usual script people can purchase.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,970
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    This is also the usual script people can purchase.
    I heard that all those scripts you find in the shops, like in “Making Of” books and things like that, aren’t even real. They’re just written by someone else entirely, employed by the publishers. Any truth to that?

  11. #36
    comic artist
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    77
    i dont know guys.... i jsut read it and i liked it. its far from perfect. i would have done a few things differently but there is a LOT that i liked. i dont think its the worst thing ever. but i certainly enjoyed sitting back and reading this "could have been" he-man story. kinda played it out in my head as a movie and i had a good time. to each his own i guess...

    rob

  12. #37
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,154
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    This script does feel like the first draft. One thing you guys have to remember about script writing is that sometimes story is secondary to what the producers and directors want to see on film.

    The producers and directors have a meeting with the writer and they go over scenes and interactions they want to visualize and the script writer includes them. A rough script will get turned in as to get things moving on story boards and budget talks. Then the script starts going over drafts and rewrites over and over again. Some scenes have to get changed and others get cut or added.

    As things get closer to actual filming, we get what's called a "shooting" script. They use this script to film and it has more director guidelines and actor cues. As filming gets going, other script writers or the main script writer is on set in case a director wants an alternate scene or a scene isn't working out as well on film. The director is closely working with the write and he has final approval of what get redone usually.

    After the film get edited and put together under the "Director's cut." The studio then creates the "final draft" script. This is the official script and it only has scenes that are in the film. This script is submitted to film raters and award officials for consideration.
    This is also the usual script people can purchase.
    Thanks for the added info!

    I'm just baffled that such a remedial-quality script would've even been passed around!

    I'd even be embarrassed to print it off my computer screen.

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior Flor2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    MINNEAPOLIS
    Posts
    3,514
    I just read the whole thing, and I think it could have been a LOT worse. The dialog was still better than any of the Star Wars movies.

  14. #39
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I heard that all those scripts you find in the shops, like in “Making Of” books and things like that, aren’t even real. They’re just written by someone else entirely, employed by the publishers. Any truth to that?
    The scripts that get published and sold are usually edited and cut and pasted from the actual script. A real film script has tons of filming notes and director guidelines which are cut out. There's pages and pages of those in complicated scenes with special effects.

    So to a certain extent that is true, they sell polished versions of the script and somebody else usually goes in and cleans it up and rewrites parts so a non-filmmaker would get it.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

  15. #40
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I just read the whole thing, and I think it could have been a LOT worse. The dialog was still better than any of the Star Wars movies.

    I think porno movie's dialogue is better than a Star Wars movie
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  16. #41
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I just read the whole thing, and I think it could have been a LOT worse. The dialog was still better than any of the Star Wars movies.
    Ep 1-3 and I'll definitely agree with you.

    But I hope that's not the standard Mattel has set:

    "Just make sure the dialogue isn't Lucas-bad . . ."

  17. #42
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1
    Just wanted to post a link to the script on my website in case anyone was having a hard time finding it:

    http://torquemod.com/grayskull-the-m...stin-marks.pdf

    I found it on scribd and signed up for the free subscription just to get it. Seems wrong that they were trying to profit from a script they don't own the rights to.

  18. #43
    Widget Orko the Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Conyers, Georgia
    Posts
    25
    Ironically, Justin Marks wrote the scripts for all of those movies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •