Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new RUDY OBRERO artworks! please show your support!

Need new RUDY OBRERO artworks! please show your support!

Hi all,

So, some of us know that the ETERNIAN MAP coming with Wun-Dar this month was drawn by RUDY OBRERO himself recently.
    The fact is: Mattel is working with him again! The perfect news for all nostalgic fans of the old artworks on the toy boxes of the vintage line!

But we need more than a map from Rudy, we need real NEW ARTWORKS for the classics line! on the future packagings, why not on exclusive posters, on a trading card game etc etc....the possibilities are large and we have to push Mattel to take in mind the real value of Rudy for the Classics line!

I just need to have the max of votes please! I need that Mattel opens its eyes and us can do something, "all together"!
    Imagine a short time than Mattel is doing a new Castle Grayskull Classics in the next years....sincerelly, you can imagine a box with/out a new Rudy's artwork???! me NO! I need the real come back of THE guy!

I also did a banner, help me to support the thread for Rudy, put it on the other toys forums where you are registered with a direct link of the Rudy's Matty thread.

I have a thread here and on the Matty's forum.
    A great part of the large Motu community is here, and all of us are dreaming around a perfect future of the Classics toyline, it is why I need all the votes possibles from the orgers too, because it is "ur" toyline!
    Thank you so much by advance.

Well, sorry too if my english is'nt allways perfect, I hope than most of you are understanding me easily in spite of that
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; April 23, 2010 at 12:56am.

He-Man historian
    We definitely need more Rudy Obrero's Maps, Posters or Cards.

Since Wun-Dar's bio-art was a new artwork, was it Rudy who made it?
    Last edited by Jukka; April 23, 2010 at 01:18am.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post

I will have probably the answer soonest
    I'll let you know.

I'm all for it, I've been hoping since the line's announcement that we would get some more work like this.

yes, i realy want art for all figures and vehicles. actualy i ask time ago in the Q&A if the 4hm design in paper before sculp the figures and gurutoy said that they just sculp without a design in mind.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    How do we know Rudy Obrero did the art? Regardless, I vote an emphatic HELLZ YEAH to new art from the original MOTU packaging artist.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Just the idea of new art from Rudy Obrero should come up gives me such a rush I can't barely stand!!! Teah! Give us new Rudy art!
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr pur campare...

WOW!!! For me the artwork by Rudy Obrero is essential part of the vintage line. I did not know who the artist is until I read this thread. I often visit Grayskullmuseum.com to enjoy his work. It creates a lot of the 'classic MOTU feeling'. So yes, I vote for this!!!!!

Also it is interesting that when you look at Rudy's artwork it seems like he has his own MOTU story (just like all of us have their own). I would like to know what his story is ... is there any possibility that Vinto-Man (MOTU Chronicles) does an interview with him?

Wow! I didn't realize who he was, but did he do all the box art?

Still from what I've seen that he has done, he just may be my favorite MOTU artist!

So yeah, definitely would LOVE to get more package art out of him for the fitting "classics" line.
    No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    How do we know Rudy Obrero did the art? Regardless, I vote an emphatic HELLZ YEAH to new art from the original MOTU packaging artist.
    Simple, check attentively the Eternia's Map on the right downwards
    + I have a solid secret source behind, Jukka knows about what I means by that

Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    ... is there any possibility that Vinto-Man (MOTU Chronicles) does an interview with him?
    I already did by the past, I'll post it here if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Wow! I didn't realize who he was, but did he do all the box art?
    Nope all, just the first ones of the first waves.
    The others ones was painted by William George and an other guy, but I do not know unfortunately its name. (the guy which did, by exemple, the MONSTROID Artwork)
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; April 23, 2010 at 05:07am.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I already did by the past, I'll post it here if you want.
    Yes please, post the interview - that would be awesome to read!!!! Thanks a lot.

don't have the map but the MOTU box art was one of the major draws to the line for me, it really activated my imagination. if I could afford it I would pay REALLY good money for the Castle Grayskull box art painting.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    We need more real artwork, not those lame white boxes!
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Yes, more art please!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

The answer is Yes

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Trading cards and/or posters would be friggin amazzzzzing! I would love to have any kind of MOTU merch sporting classic-style artwork. Definitely would eat that up.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

The answer is Yes
    Are you serious?
    No offense to Rudy but it looks terrible...
    looks like Michael Jackson IMO...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Yes!!! Yessss!!!!
    We definitely NEED (Rudy Obrero's) artwork to bring back the 'classic' feel!!!!

The answer is Yes
    This is better news that announcing a new MOTUC figure. Rudy has the Power!
    What are the chances we will see the whole Wun-Dar artwork?

It would be interesting to know how much was Mattel telling Rudy how the artwork should look like back in the beginning of the 80's vintage line and how much are they influencing the artwork now. Not that Mattel's influence is bad - just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Are you serious?
    No offense to Rudy but it looks terrible...
    looks like Michael Jackson IMO...
    Affirmative lol.

This is better news that announcing a new MOTUC figure. Rudy has the Power!
    What are the chances we will see the whole Wun-Dar artwork?
    Sincerely I don't know at all about the whole Wun-Dar's artwork revealed a day, only Mattel can take the decision to show us.
    Nobody already asked at Mattel if we can see it complete?
    I am imagining that the original artwork is naturally on the Mattel's hands.

I am going to ask on the Matty's forum right now.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; April 23, 2010 at 03:46pm.

Who's BAD???
    Wun-DAR!!!

Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Yes please, post the interview - that would be awesome to read!!!! Thanks a lot.
    Here is my Interview whith Rudy Obrero (dated March 2009)

1-Do you think than one day we will be lucky to have a book published with all the Artworks about He-Man from you and the other artists who worked for Mattel by the past?
    RUDY: Sorry, I am not aware of any plans that Mattel might have in regards to a compilation of any or all of the past
    Masters of the Universe artwork. It would be interesting though.

2-Why on the He-Man/Battle cat Giftset artwork, Skeletor and Beast Man have a Battle cat too? (I ask because in the he-Man story, we know only the battle cat of He-Man, no more)
    RUDY: At the time I did the He-Man-Battlecat illustration I was not aware of any story line. I'm not sure there was a story at that time as it was still very early in the production stage and the the He-Man toys weren't even released yet. I was told to include Skeletor and Beastman in the art and I assumed that some of the kids would place and play with Skeletor and Beast man as well as the other characters on the Battlecat. So I saw no problem with putting everyone on Battlecats. Also it looked cool.

3-When Mattel required you somes illustrations, which visual models did you have? action figures? prototypes? pictures of toys? other?
    RUDY: I was provided with some prototypes and some of the actual figures and rough sketches of the toy in development. To do the packaging I was provided with a dummy mock-up that showed the positioning of everything on the box and where the illusttrations were going to be placed.

4-How did mattel contact you to work with them? and when exactly? (1981 or before?)
    RUDY: I got a phone call from Mark Taylor (probably in 1981) to discuss providing the artwork for the He-Man product line. Mark wanted to incorporate a "Frazetta" like feel to the imagery and I guess he felt that I was versatile enough to do the job.

5-Which are the artists who influenced you by the past in your works?
    RUDY: My Illustrator heroes were and still are Howard Pyle, N.C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish, J.C. Leyendecker. Bob Peak, Frank Frazetta, Bernie Fuchs and the guy who did all the "Doc Savage" paperback book covers whoever he was that rocked me when I was a kid.

6-At the begining of the Motu line concept, do you remember if the toyline was a CONAN the barbarian inspiration or other?
    RUDY: Yes, in my mind it was a Conan, the Barbarian, inspired character. Although I don't remember anybody directly saying that it was. Also, it was probably influenced in a big way by the popularity of Frank Frazetta's Barbarian art. So my hat goes off to Mr. Frazetta for the being the artistic magician that inspired me to really get into the spirit of the Eternia.

7-Mattel had required to you to be inspired by a specific universe already existing? (like CONAN again for exemple?)
    RUDY: There was no existing universe for these toys when I started the work. I just created what I thought the He-Man Universe could be relative to the toys and what could actually fit on the packaging. I wanted the kids to have a strong visual start to inspire their imaginations for a fun fantasy play environment.

8-Each of your illustrations tell a little history, like "the castle grayskull assault, Winder raider air battles...Evil warriors against Good warriors etc etc...
    Were you free for the situations of each scenes? or Mattel gave you specific directives to be respected?

RUDY: The goal was not to just render a realistic plastic toy but to make it feel like the characters were alive and that they were actually riding the piece of equipment such as the windraider. So a bit of artistic license was taken to the perspective and size relationships to accommodate the packaging dimensions. I had to consider the position of the toy and the character and the various positions on the package so I had to make them fit and still have a feeling that it all was a part of a larger world.

9-Which technical did you use for your paintings? oil painting? other?
    RUDY: All my He-Man art was done in oil on canvas board. Back then I tried to do all my assignments in oil because the colors stayed truer when they dried. But soon after I learned the hard way that clients in general did not store the art pieces very well. The paintings usually got stacked in the corner and when oil paintings are stacked before they have a chance to completely dry they tend to sick to anything placed against them. So I had to spend a lot of extra time and effort repairing some art damaged in storage.

10-which sizes was your He-Man's paintings approximately?
    RUDY: They were all done at 200% of the print size.

11-About the Battle Cat illustrations, why have you choose a "green apple" color for its fur, it is a personal color choice from you? Mattel? cause the Battle cat toy had one color slighty different.
    RUDY: As to the green for the Battlecat. Whew, I personally did not like the color but that's the color of the prototype that I had to work from. ( The blame or credit goes to someone at Mattel who thought it was a good idea at the time.

12-Which instructions mattel gave you to work? the original drawings was already created? and If you remember by which artist? (Roger Sweet? Mark taylor? other?)
    RUDY: I always got a dummy mock up of the package to work from. Mark Taylor was the person I interacted first and the most with on He-man. I had the best and positive working relationship with him. When he left Mattel I was very sad because I thought he was the biggest part for the success of the Masters of the Universe. There were several other Art directors that but I can't remember their names because, it seemed to me, they were being replaced every week.

13-How considered you the He-Man toyline in your mind by the past, when you was working on the line?
    RUDY: I'm not sure I understand your question, but I just painted the battles that I wanted to see in Eternia. I just wondered why there were no dragons in Eternia? They would have been fun to draw and render.

14-You had somes contacts with other artists when you worked on the toyline? like Alfredo Alcala for exemple which was the artist working on the comic Book at the same time.
    RUDY: Nope, I have had no contact with any of the He-Man artist after me. I assume that they, like me, were not allowed to sign their names on the art. Sometimes I hid my signature in the back ground. Look just below the WindRaider's wing for example. As for the comic book artist, I had no idea who was doing them!

15-Why have you stopped to work with Mattel? and when exactly?
    RUDY: I stopped working right after the He-Man Attack Trac project. After Mark Taylor left, I worked with several different art directors which got to be progressively more and more confusing and disjointed.

16-How did you consider your direct successors? William George for exemple.
    RUDY: I consider them adequate competent artists.

17-If Mattel ask you today to work again for them on He-Man, would you accept? would you be happy or not really interested?
    RUDY: If Mattel called today, I would be happy to be working on He-Man again. I think I have a lot more skills and there is a lot of nostalgia in it for me.

18-Have you did only paintings for Mattel or more? for exemple, maybe some character designs?
    RUDY: I have worked on a ton of different things. I have done work for Power Rangers, "The Land Before Time", Curious George, E.T., "Surf's Up", "Open Season", "Peter Pan", and various posters, etc.

19-If He-Man comes to seek you tomorrow to go on Eternia, would you follow it?
    RUDY: Hell, yeah!

20-Have you a particular memory to tell today concerning your work with Mattel? (a funny storie for exemple)
    RUDY: Well, I remember taking my 2 little daughters to Toys "R" Us Store where there were two whole aisles of Masters of the Universe products on the shelves. We stood in the middle of all that stuff, and my wife said to them "Look all around you, this is Daddy's One Man Show"

21-Have you something to say to your fans today please? (the He-Man fans particularly of course)
    RUDY: I am truly flattered by all who appreciate my work. I didn't realize that there was such a following for the Masters of Universe adventure toyline. I really had a lot of fun drawing and painting them. I am still a big fan of fantasy art. And it seems surreal to me that 20 plus years later He-Man is still being enjoyed by fans such as you. I give my whole hearted appreciation to everyone of you for the recognition you have shown me.

TOKYONEVER - thanks a lot for the interview!! You came up with great questions. Exactly what a fan wants to know about Rudy I like the fact that Rudy did the artwork at early stage of the toyline which allowed him to put his own vision of Eternia into the art. Now let's hope we will see more of him in MOTUC!!! Also the good thing is that Rudy is a fan of MOTU. It is nice to know that MOTU fans work with this new MOTUC toyline: Toyguru, 4 Horsemen, Rudy ... nice.

Can't wait for Rudy's Vikor and Demo-Man artwork!!!!! Arrgghh!!!
    Last edited by Sabretooth; April 26, 2010 at 12:22am.

Yes thank you TOKYONEVER! Thanks for the info and great interview!
    No comment.

My pleasure guys

I was helped by some french friends collectors to do it, it was fun and exciting to get answers from Rudy.
    When I was a little child, I had never imagined that I could have spoken with him one day, a great honor for me and a dream realized.

Rudy is a great guy and super cool, trust me and I cross really my fingers to have one day new He-Man's artworks packagings from him for the Classics line.

If He-Man.org's team needs to take this interview for the Website, please do it, I will be happy to contribute and I am thinking Rudy too.