Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean figures?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Some of my vintage figs are sticky as well, but only on the unpainted area's. I haven't noticed any residue on them however.
    I tried cleaning them in water with a little bit of soap and rinsing thoroughly, but they remain sticky. I think that the plastic is slowly decomposing or something
    I have the same problem with a rhinoceros and an elephant coming from a dollar store line. Not only they stick, but they also smell bad. Any tips for cleaning FOR GOOD rubber that sticks and stinks?

Quote Originally Posted by Crippler View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I just recently came across a couple vintage figure still sealed, but the packaging was very beat up so I opened them to add to my loose collection. A few of the figures have a sticky residue on the legs and arms...does anyone know how to clean this without ruining the figure/paint?

Thanks
    Some of my vintage figs are sticky as well, but only on the unpainted area's. I haven't noticed any residue on them however.
    I tried cleaning them in water with a little bit of soap and rinsing thoroughly, but they remain sticky. I think that the plastic is slowly decomposing or something
    You could possibly try a citrus-based cleaner. Not sure if you guys have them where you are but i've used that before and it worked for me when helping a friend clean his figures. They're normally available in supermarkets.

I've also used a specialized plastic cleaner called Plexus. This one might be a bit harder to obtain. I've used this on figures esp. on older ones e.g. MotU, Star Wars etc... and the results were really good

Thanks, man !!! I'm going to check it out if I can find some over here.

I did try already with cleaning tissue that had a faint smell of citrus in it (it's meant for cleaning glasses or PC screens and such) and the figures are definitely cleaned up, but unfortunately they remain sticky.

Heroic Warrior
    **Direct links to online merchants like Amazon should go in the Marketplace. Thanks! **

Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)

Silicon spray will remove the leaking softener. Trust me your figures will be like new!
    It also prevents the legrubbers getting porous!
    Just donīt use it on the Sorceress Body, i donīt know why but the overprint on her and the faces on the Malaysia hard head figures are the only thing you can erase with the spray. Every other figure will be like new. Even the worst dirt will be removed without affecting the paint.
    Iīve tried every figure except the laser lights.
    Especially recommendable for Robotos andd Two Bads legs! The silver will be like new and all the red softener will be removed ;-)

Thanks !!! Could you PM me the link you posted, because it seems to have been erased by the moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    **Direct links to online merchants like Amazon should go in the Marketplace. Thanks! **

Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)

Silicon spray will remove the leaking softener. Trust me your figures will be like new!
    It also prevents the legrubbers getting porous!
    Just donīt use it on the Sorceress Body, i donīt know why but the overprint on her and the faces on the Malaysia hard head figures are the only thing you can erase with the spray. Every other figure will be like new. Even the worst dirt will be removed without affecting the paint.
    Iīve tried every figure except the laser lights.
    Especially recommendable for Robotos andd Two Bads legs! The silver will be like new and all the red softener will be removed ;-)
    Are you talking about just regular silicone spray? the lubricant used in things like hedgeclippers and such?

Heroic Warrior
    Yep, thats correct

What's the best way to clean vintage Masters toys?

Most of my old MOTU toys are in great shape and were treated with love and respect.

However, Snake Mountain and some vehicles were stored in a barn for 20 some years.

What's the best way to clean these without hurting the stickers? Water and a little bit of dish soap?

Is there a company that makes replacement stickers like they do for old transformers?

I have the same problem. I've tried both Dawn dish soap and a residue removal shampoo (I think it was Pantene?) but neither of them worked. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them

Heroic Warrior skeletorinzecloset's Avatar
    My question is not about cleaning but almost. My battle rams colour has faded away because of the sun i presume and i wondered if i could get the color back with the products used to erase small scratches on cars or the other one used for the bodies of electrical guitars. Since these products "melt" the colors first then with a dry clothe you wipe the remaining traces would it work on plastic?
    Thanx
    Last edited by skeletorinzecloset; June 21, 2011 at 11:49am. Reason: Syntax errors
    "I'm not insane i'm not insane i'm just smarter than you" The Dev

Cleaning Adam's Vest

I recently got a vintage vest for Adam but it has a cigarette smell.
    Does anybody know the best way to clean this?
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Febreeze maybe? My Grandmother used to smoke in her car and she'd febreeze it afterwards. I inherited it after she passed away and it smells fine now. I know the bottle says to do a spot test, but I've never had a problem. I use it on my couch, shoes and carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    Febreeze maybe? My Grandmother used to smoke in her car and she'd febreeze it afterwards. I inherited it after she passed away and it smells fine now. I know the bottle says to do a spot test, but I've never had a problem. I use it on my couch, shoes and carpet.
    Interesting. I might try this since I alread have some in the house. Thanks for the tip!
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Lord of the Reptilians tampico32's Avatar

Need advices to clean my vintage figures

Somebody knows how:

1. The points of paint of others toys hard to remove.
    2. Clean dirty of the rubber heads.
    3. Clean the pink color boots of roboto and two bad foot to recover the silver color.
    4. Clean dirty from the panthor fur.

Thank you masters!

Sergio
    Thank you so much to my partners of He-Man.org for helping me to get MOTUC figures:

My Sell/Buy/Trade Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tampico32 View Post
    Somebody knows how:

1. The points of paint of others toys hard to remove.
    2. Clean dirty of the rubber heads.
    3. Clean the pink color boots of roboto and two bad foot to recover the silver color.
    4. Clean dirty from the panthor fur.

Thank you masters!

Sergio
    I recommend mr. Clean magic erasers. Cheap and work wonders!
    Is not not licking toads

Wd40. Works great. Many years of use on varied toys especially Motu. The two figures i avoid are Roboto and two bad because of the bad paintjob on the legs. Cleaning these damage the paint. But for the others, so far, no problem.never tried on panthor.

Lord of the Reptilians tampico32's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    Thank you mate, i will try!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skeletorinzecloset View Post
    Wd40. Works great. Many years of use on varied toys especially Motu. The two figures i avoid are Roboto and two bad because of the bad paintjob on the legs. Cleaning these damage the paint. But for the others, so far, no problem.never tried on panthor.
    I can not belive it!
    Thank you so much to my partners of He-Man.org for helping me to get MOTUC figures:

My Sell/Buy/Trade Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tampico32 View Post
    Thank you mate, i will try!

- - - Updated - - -

I can not belive it!
    A miracle?

I second that! Always works for me. Even removed sharpie from a MOTU book cover my girl got at a garage sale for $.25

I've got a rare Leech variant and he could use a cleaning, with the magic eraser, did you find that it rubs paint off the plastic or does it just do a really good job of getting dirt off the figure? Thought I would ask before I start scrubbing.
    Knowledge is power, arm yourself

My feedback ,cool people I've dealt with

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ak+good+trader

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Saw Hordak View Post
    I've got a rare Leech variant and he could use a cleaning, with the magic eraser, did you find that it rubs paint off the plastic or does it just do a really good job of getting dirt off the figure? Thought I would ask before I start scrubbing.
    I have never rubbed off paint with it, but if he is a rare Leech I would stick to the plastic parts where no paint is to be safe.
    Is not not licking toads

I have never rubbed off paint with it, but if he is a rare Leech I would stick to the plastic parts where no paint is to be safe.
    Thanks, dude!
    Knowledge is power, arm yourself

My feedback ,cool people I've dealt with

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ak+good+trader

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletorinzecloset View Post
    Wd40. Works great. Many years of use on varied toys especially Motu. The two figures i avoid are Roboto and two bad because of the bad paintjob on the legs. Cleaning these damage the paint.
    Interesting you mention this. I have a MOC Two Bad and two MOC Robotos. The Two Bad and one of the Robotos has what looks like a messy paint job on the legs - it looks like the red and purple paint turned powdery and is all over the legs and boots.

I have three loose Two Bads, and on all of them the "powdery paint" is also over most of the purple half of Two-Bad (the entire torso is clean, but the plastic is harder compared to the softer arms and legs, and the blue half on all of them is completely clean), but it seems like it wipes off pretty easily (except for when you have to get into cracks and crevices) and won't actually remove the color from the figure's limbs. I didn't experiment too much with it, though, just ran my finger over some parts.

Now, the second Roboto MOC I have has a nice clean, solid paint job - no powdery look at all. Orange is orange, silver is silver. But I also have a couple loose Robotos that all have that powderyness all over the legs so much so that the boots, which should be a solid silver, are a silvery magenta. What causes this? A different kind of paint? The difference between my two MOC Robotos is night and day.

I second this. Magic Erasers very quickly remove the gunk that accumulates on old Roboto and Two Bad figures, making them look like new. Also good for getting stray marks and dirt off of figures, without damaging them at all.

Best way to clean toys ?

Hi Everybody,
    Is there a good and effective way to clean toys, without breaking them ? Toys mainly collect dust, hence my question.

Will an air duster help ? Or will that more harm than good ?

Any tips ?

Thanks

PS. This probably has been answered before, so apologies, but the search function is bust.