Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man's Costume in a Live Action Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    The designs above are excellent designs just not for He-Man. I mean they are no doubt talented artist, but the fact that none of the designs really read as He-Man shows a lack of imagination. So the filmakers and/or mattel want a thin more covered up He-Man? I think it's still possible to make it look like He-Man even with those restrictions.

Here's a sketch I whipped up in about 15 minutes. I know it's not perfect it's just some random ideation, but I think it fullfills those two points and manages to at least resemble He-Man.

So why are these artists so far off the mark? It's as if they have no clue what the property is.
    that is a great sketch, you've read my mind, I had a similar idea but I do not draw well, thanks for doing it for me hahaha.
    in my opinion he-man should look something like this in a live-action movie.
    thanks for your sketch.

I would like to see more sketches by fans with ideas for a live-action movie

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    The designs above are excellent designs just not for He-Man. I mean they are no doubt talented artist, but the fact that none of the designs really read as He-Man shows a lack of imagination. So the filmakers and/or mattel want a thin more covered up He-Man? I think it's still possible to make it look like He-Man even with those restrictions.

Here's a sketch I whipped up in about 15 minutes. I know it's not perfect it's just some random ideation, but I think it fullfills those two points and manages to at least resemble He-Man.

So why are these artists so far off the mark? It's as if they have no clue what the property is.
    I'm not down with a skinny He-Man, but if that is the road they want to take, your design manages to fill that requirement, put your own stamp on it, and scream He-Man at the same time, way more then any of the art book designs! Is it so hard to stay true to the spirit??? If a fan on a forum can come up with something 1000 percent better, why is it so hard for any of the professionals??

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I refined my sketch a bit. I worked in the classic harness and a cape. I also homogenized the design a bit more. I personally don't think I'd mind if He-Man looked like this in a live action movie.

Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    As for He-Man, I seem to recall kids hating He-Man's nakedness during the 200x era, which led to him getting the Snake Armor.

I actually like this from the artbook. I guess it is one of the first sketches

I dont think I want this for the (first) movie though...
    I just rewatched the old movie last week and... what was wrong with that outfit? The only thing I would do to change it is to ad a red iron cross on his chest.

There are also artists who hate just adapting someone elses design and want to make their own design. I recall one artist wanted to give Spider-Man a helmet in the first movie, because he didn't want to just copy the original design.

As for He-Man, I seem to recall kids hating He-Man's nakedness during the 200x era, which led to him getting the Snake Armor.
    well that's what mattel told us, even though they told us before season 2 that kid only like he-man and skeletor, the same he-man that wore less clothes. so believe what you will, I think they were just grasping at straws because clearly mattel doesn't know how to sell toys to kids anymore.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    The conceptual drawing of He-Man with a shaved head and a kilt from The Art of Masters of the Universe, Volume 1 would work well in live action.

these designs are from the book of sdcc, I like a bit more than previous designs from the same book, the characters look a little dark or different but I recognized the characters in the first view (except he-man?) and I like that.

This is He-Man! Not that other garbage! This is exactly how he should look in the film, and if not then I don't care to see it.
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Last Wielder of the Sword of Power

Faithful Member of Club Eternia

http://photobucket.com/LastEternian

Quote Originally Posted by LastEternian View Post
    This is He-Man! Not that other garbage! This is exactly how he should look in the film, and if not then I don't care to see it.
    there is absolutely NO chance he'll look exactly like that, if they DO base his costume on that look count on a longer loin cloth darker browns and a more weathered chest harness for starters.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

[IMG] This is He-Man! Not that other garbage! This is exactly how he should look in the film, and if not then I don't care to see it.
    I like this design for a cartoon or comic, but I fear for a live-action movie that design may look like a cosplay

Heroic Warrior
    Fantastic! That would be hilarious! It's Mortal Kombat syndrome!

Heroic Warrior
    I want the original!

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    these designs are from the book of sdcc, I like a bit more than previous designs from the same book, the characters look a little dark or different but I recognized the characters in the first view (except he-man?) and I like that.
    Sorceress Ram Man and Man at Arms are near perfect, Teela is ok, but a bit generic imo he0man is the weakest link, how come the first three I mentioned can look so recognizable and the fumble on teela and completely botch it on he-man?>

Fear is faith in failure

This is to everyone!

We all have very strong opinions on how things should be. And that is fine.

However, do not be snippy or rude towards your fellow board members.

Thank you
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    there is absolutely NO chance he'll look exactly like that, if they DO base his costume on that look count on a longer loin cloth darker browns and a more weathered chest harness for starters.
    Which is totally fine; just as long as they remain as faithful as possible to the design of He-Man. There really is no need to change anything if you ask me. The Sword generates the armor so I don't think it really needs to be weathered, and as far as the loin cloth it's nothing new in cinema. In fact 300 stayed very faithful to the Spartan look from the 300 graphic novel, and some of them wore considerably less than He-Man. This is my opinion, but I want to see what I grew up with. I wanta see He-Man and not some power ranger, emo, space knight!
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Sorceress Ram Man and Man at Arms are near perfect, Teela is ok, but a bit generic imo he0man is the weakest link, how come the first three I mentioned can look so recognizable and the fumble on teela and completely botch it on he-man?>
    That Sorceress design would be perfect!

Basically, I would like a mixture between an armoured He-Man, with a bit of flesh showing. Nonetheless, I do believe a somewhat armoured He-Man will work better in live-action. IMO, He-Man's not a barbarian. So, again IMO, he shouldn’t really look like one.

well that's what mattel told us, even though they told us before season 2 that kid only like he-man and skeletor, the same he-man that wore less clothes. so believe what you will, I think they were just grasping at straws because clearly mattel doesn't know how to sell toys to kids anymore.
    You're right of course. Mattel could have been grasping at straws.
    On the other hand Barbarian and Sword and Sorcery genres aren't as popular now as they were in the 80's. So who knows how a Conan-esque character (in looks) might come across to the mainstream audience.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

You're right of course. Mattel could have been grasping at straws.
    On the other hand Barbarian and Sword and Sorcery genres aren't as popular now as they were in the 80's. So who knows how a Conan-esque character (in looks) might come across to the mainstream audience.
    With the success of 300 (though it's been a while now) the success of UFC, and the decline of the metrosexual phase in society, I think the market is ready for a return to hyper-masculinity that is the sword and sorcery genre.
    I think the masses are ready for a great fantasy tale with lots of visceral thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Basically, I would like a mixture between an armoured He-Man, with a bit of flesh showing. Nonetheless, I do believe a somewhat armoured He-Man will work better in live-action. IMO, He-Man's not a barbarian. So, again IMO, he shouldn’t really look like one.
    But what is a barbarians look? the Spartans weren't barbarians, they were highly civilized but they wore less than he-man. Eternia is generally a pretty tropical planet he-man's outfit makes sense, esp since he's out doing physical stuff all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    That Sorceress design would be perfect!
    it would wouldn't it?
    Which is totally fine; just as long as they remain as faithful as possible to the design of He-Man. There really is no need to change anything if you ask me. The Sword generates the armor so I don't think it really needs to be weathered, and as far as the loin cloth it's nothing new in cinema. In fact 300 stayed very faithful to the Spartan look from the 300 graphic novel, and some of them wore considerably less than He-Man. This is my opinion, but I want to see what I grew up with. I wanta see He-Man and not some power ranger, emo, space knight!
    I agree a bit but I think the outfit should be more like the horsemen's original design, but weathering the harness will give it a better look on screen, texture and such to make it more legitimate as a piece. looking too clean it wouldn't sell as well imo.
    Last edited by krosfyah; July 18, 2010 at 02:03am.

Fear is faith in failure

With the success of 300 (though it's been a while now) the success of UFC, and the decline of the metrosexual phase in society, I think the market is ready for a return to hyper-masculinity that is the sword and sorcery genre.
    I think the masses are ready for a great fantasy tale with lots of visceral thrill.

But what is a barbarians look? the Spartans weren't barbarians, they were highly civilized but they wore less than he-man. Eternia is generally a pretty tropical planet he-man's outfit makes sense, esp since he's out doing physical stuff all day.

it would wouldn't it?

I agree a bit but I think the outfit should be more like the horsemen's original design, but weathering the harness will give it a better look on screen, texture and such to make it more legitimate as a piece. looking too clean it wouldn't sell as well imo.
    I could live with that. Just not the drastic changes from above. I'd also love to see the classic power sword on screen; maybe scaled up a bit. But the horsemen design would be cool with me.

Heroic Warrior
    If they have their way there won't even be any He-Man in the movie.
    Last edited by TheVileOne; July 18, 2010 at 08:17pm.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    If they have there way there won't even be any He-Man in the movie.
    yeah. thats what scares me, but I comfort myself by saying that that is the reason Mattel is holding out against the studios as they aren't happy with that take. I may be wrong but again it comforts me

Fear is faith in failure

Well, there's a Conan film coming out next year. He pretty much looks like how the majority of people imagine a barbarian to look. As Conan will no doubt be thrust back into the mainstream with the film's release, I don't want comparisons to be made when the MOTU film comes out.

As I said, I would prefer something in the middle. I love the pencil art work that was posted above. Something like that, but maybe not so robotic-looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Well, there's a Conan film coming out next year. He pretty much looks like how the majority of people imagine a barbarian to look. As Conan will no doubt be thrust back into the mainstream with the film's release, I don't want comparisons to be made when the MOTU film comes out.

As I said, I would prefer something in the middle. I love the pencil art work that was posted above. Something like that, but maybe not so robotic-looking.
    I understand, personally I want the standard he-man look but adapted for the screen, essentially the horsemens original redesign maybe witha little more accoutrements.

Fear is faith in failure

others posibles desings for a costume of he-man

This is a version of Lion-o but I think he-man would look good with something like .