Thread: Mini-Comic Variation Guide...

Mini-Comic Variation Guide...

Hey all!

After completing my MOTU mini-comic set, I decided to start collecting all the small variations as well- ad changes, item codes, countries where the books were printed, etc. I've searched online for a good listing of each variation, but I've never found a definitive list. So I decided today to start my own page for it!

http://www.motuminicomics.com/

I have started by listing all the variations that I own at this time. As I acquire other variations, I'll update each book with that new information. Right now, I am just going with the comics available in the U.S.... but that may change eventually.

Please take a sec to check it out if you are a mini-comic enthusiast! And if you have some of the variations I am missing, contact me!

Thanks!

Sallah

Widget
    I also have a extensive mini comic collection and just received a lot more that i need to sort through and add

What i allready sorted can be seen in the pics of my private collection (page 3)

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/a...otucollection/

Nothing is for trade or sale

Wow! I have been doing the same thing. A lot of them have G1,G2,or G3 after the code. Others are printed in different countries, but have the same code. I have some that have G1 after the code, but were printed in different countries. I have accumulated 115 and I am still missing 4 of the 49 comics. All I can say is, good luck!

I have a variant for "The Temple of Darkness" minicomic (the Masters of the Universe logo has an odd PINK border); I'll try and get the details to you shortly...

And don't forget at some point to make a note of the unpublished "Return from Terror Island" - Once I make it public I'll be sure to send the details your way!

Europe has a bewildering array of minicomic variants. Some of them were published individually in separate languages, some were published in dual-language editions (usually as a flipbook with the different versions on opposite sides), some were published in four-language editions (like a multiplied flipbook)... The languages combined also seem to have varied.

Also, in my native Sweden the local distributor printed mini-comics in Swedish which were given out as free merchandise at toystores with a consecutive numbering system. I only have a few of these.

I wish you the best of luck exploring this murky area!

Heroic Warrior
    This is great...I've hoped someone would put this together for awhile! The G1, G2 etc...usually indicate a change in the actual text/story. This is particularly true with She-Ra books. It might be only one or two words. It's been awhile since I visited which books have differences, but I can probably help you out. The biggest variations that I know of are the Cosmic Key having two different back covers, and two of the original four minis having a version that condenses the story into about half the number of pages with huge changes in text...that one always baffled me. I never found the other two minis in this form so I don't know if they actually exist.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Thanks everybody for the kind words! And again, if you have a US release variation not seen on there, please contact me!

Sallah

Great idea Sallah, Thanks!!

Awesome site!

Heroic Warrior
    Sallah, you know that picture that you have with the Master's logo that is different...you mention it as a possible early version? It only appeared in the picture on the He-Man and the Power Sword book. I have that book. Inside, the coupons and stuff all have void over them...and there are many other differences. It's an actual genuine book. I've only seen it once and bought it.
    www.toyjesus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post
    Sallah, you know that picture that you have with the Master's logo that is different...you mention it as a possible early version? It only appeared in the picture on the He-Man and the Power Sword book. I have that book. Inside, the coupons and stuff all have void over them...and there are many other differences. It's an actual genuine book. I've only seen it once and bought it.
    Man, I would LOVE to see that! Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] when you get a chance!

Sallah

Great idea Sallah! Well done!

Heroic Warrior
    Emailed you and sent you a link to the complete book. Enjoy and tell me what you think.

I have gotten a lot of questions about this book. I truly don't know it's origin. I purchased it a few years ago on ebay for a great deal. The person said he had two or three and this was his last one. I don't recall who the seller was and he listed it as a prototype minicomic...but who knows. It is odd that it has the logo that is on some foreign covers...but the SAMPLE that is stamped on the coupon page is definitely unique. I've never seen another, but I haven't been as active in looking for this stuff in the last few years. By far more rare than any Ultimate Battleground.

I edited the above link with pics of the cover front and back and the coupons inside so you could see the difference. There are text differences in the story as well. This book was printed in the USA.
    Last edited by dorrmann; October 31, 2010 at 05:15pm. Reason: Back to back
    www.toyjesus.com

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post

Holy smokes that logo is official in some capacity? Coolness!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    What a great site, Sallah!

I have a complete set of mini-comics; Although lack of space led me to decide not to collect every version that was "identical" other than country of printing (if you get what I mean), I still have a couple of nice variations. I'll try to dig them out sometime and pass on the details.

It's interesting to see that the "prototype" MOTU logo on 'He-Man and the Power Sword' did make it to print, I always wondered about that.

Also, regarding the later, much abridged re-print of '...Power Sword', I heard rumour on these boards a few years back, of a similar abridged version of 'Battle in the Clouds'. Anyone know if this was true or not?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post

Also, regarding the later, much abridged re-print of '...Power Sword', I heard rumour on these boards a few years back, of a similar abridged version of 'Battle in the Clouds'. Anyone know if this was true or not?
    I have 3 different covers/versions of the original 4 minis:
    -With "FREE"
    -Without "FREE"
    -No Red Starburst at all (abridged versions in German)
    I also have different versions of the He-Man and the Power Sword W/FREE:
    -Blue Printing on the title (figures on back cover)
    -Yellow Printing on the title (Hot Wheels Ad on back)
    I have never seen an abridged version in English though.

----------------------------------------------
    MY Collection: (some of it)
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/album.php?u=14643

Heroic Warrior
    Yep...abridged versions exist...with both back covers! And yes, there is an abridged Battle in the Clouds. I've never discovered an abridged version of the other two, though.
    www.toyjesus.com

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I gotta toot my horn. Managed to get my hands on this. A Leo mini comic version of Danger at Castle Grayskull.
    1.jpg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg
    Don't hesitate in dealing with Cilman Thread