Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Writer Talks About Masters Of The Universe

New Writer Talks About Masters Of The Universe

Found this completely by accident. It was found on the AVP Galaxy forums. It’s from a German site, but only the intro is in German, rest is in English. Obviously it’s mostly about Predators (a brilliant film, BTW), but Alex Litvak mentions Masters of the Universe at about the 37 minute mark (basically, after he talks about The Three Musketeers). This is the first time anyone actually involved in the film has mentioned it. This interview was posted on the forum yesterday, so I suppose that means the film hasn’t been shelved.

He actually says quite a lot about it, very open. Some good, some a bit controversial. Still, pretty interesting. Also, he seems pretty sure that it will happen:

http://mediap1.roadkast.com/moviefea...lex-Litvak.mp3

hmmmm. So no muscles
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Very interesting. I'm troubled that he says no big guy with muscles, no transformation, no cringer or he-man, only Adam and Battlecat, and he IMPLIES Skeletor will not have a skull head. Things i like, he name drops MAA, Teela, and Tri Klops. He says no Earth. He says the movie will be fun. He says his concept is a war between tech and magic. It does sound suspiciously like Justin Marks idea. He likens Skeletor to Joker with magic. Oh, he also says the movie is just called Masters of the Universe, not Grayskull.
    Last edited by King Tycho; July 11, 2010 at 06:59pm.

Thanks for the heads-up about this.

Downloading right now.

I just finish listening. Get ready for "THE GREAT DEBATE".
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

It's interesting to me how many folks on the forum want Adam dropped and He-Man kept, but it seems every writer who gets a crack at the script wants to get rid of He-Man and keep Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    He IMPLIES Skeletor will not have a skull head.
    I missed that bit. What did he say?

Also, it sounds like the good guys will be users of science and Skeletor will be the practitioner of magic. I think his exact words were “part Joker, part Warlock”, which is a description that makes me smile.

It's interesting to me how many folks on the forum want Adam dropped and He-Man kept, but it seems every writer who gets a crack at the script wants to get rid of He-Man and keep Adam.
    I guess they see Adam as the easier of the two to connect with audiences. Adam can have a greater character arc than He-Man, that's for sure. If it was just He-Man, that's it. There's very little you can do. He’s pretty rigid. With Adam, you can make him question himself, change and so forth. He can start out as one thing and end up something completely different.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 11, 2010 at 07:25pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm troubled that he says no big guy with muscles, no transformation, no cringer or he-man, only Adam and Battlecat, and he IMPLIES Skeletor will not have a skull head.
    Eek, I don't like the sound of that.

He doesn't specifically say Skeletor won't have a skull, he says the Skeletor isn't about some guy who has a skull head or somethig like that. He downplays the importance of the skull aspect, though he doesn't say it won't be there.

He did talk about a civil war, so it does make me wonder if it will be Skeletor/Magic VS He-Man and technology.

Not sure I dig that much. I do like that he spoke about Trike, Teela and mAA. I noticed there wa sno mention of the Sorceress, which for me is troublesome.

Smile like you mean it.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned how it's probably gonna be in 3-D. What do you guys think about that?

It was nice to hear that Masters of the Universe is a top priority for Sony. Not too sure about some of the decisions, but I guess we'll see how it all comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned how it's probably gonna be in 3-D. What do you guys think about that?

It was nice to hear that Masters of the Universe is a top priority for Sony. Not too sure about some of the decisions, but I guess we'll see how it all comes together.
    I think it would suck ass.

top priority? hmmm. Dunno if I believe that.

Smile like you mean it.

3d is not something i like in films, but it's not make or break in anyway. Just get the script right! I'm hoping Conan will be successful, then maybe the will rethink the no muscles nonsense.
    Last edited by King Tycho; July 11, 2010 at 08:18pm.

Movie mayhem!
    This is a great find! you should stick it on the main .org page.

Also, I get what he's saying about the modern day action hero but at the same time... ... it is He-man... its sorta the point. I liked hearing him call it a "big priority for Sony"

I'm pretty disappointed that there isn't going to be any kind of transformation.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

If it’s actually filmed with 3D cameras, then I’m all for it. They could really do some great stuff with Eternia and the different creatures and so forth. I thought the 3D in Avatar was phenomenal. If it’s post-converted rubbish, though, then I don’t want to know.

And Divia, he didn’t mention a lot of stuff. To be fair, he can’t. Doesn’t mean they’re not in the film. The Sorceress is a pretty big part of MOTU mythology. Knowing how protective Mattel seems to be over this, I don’t think they would allow her not to feature.

I like they way this guy is talking about this film and it sounds like a lot of the mark's idea's are still there. but don't be threatened by the muscles embrace them, He-man's size and stature is very important, it's essential IMO. But A transformation sequence is very necessary IMO. He-man needs his I have the power moment,getting rid of it is like throwing the baby out with the bath water! I think Marks script handled this aspect well, it happened once and was impactful because of it! I hope this can be changed as there needs to be the moment when He-Man calls upon the power of grayskull, but personally I wouldn't need to hear it more than once, the same for She-Ra

3D is great news and the films importance to Sony is great to hear!

Oh and keep the powersword FREE of TECH! It's magical!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 11, 2010 at 10:26pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

As long as it is shot that way from the very beginning, I don't really care. I wouldn't want them to go back and do it later like some movies (Clash of the Titans) have done. To be honest, 3-D doesn't really impress me that much, even Avatar. It is just a way for the movie studios to make a few extras bucks off of each person.

If this movie is getting fast tracked, we should definitely here something at SDCC about it.
    Last edited by Firefly; July 11, 2010 at 08:27pm.

While i understand his statement that times have changed, i still would really really want to see a transformation scene, can't really understand what's wrong about it, besides, it's one of the most memorable things of the franchise.
    Visit my gallery on DA: http://artofdon.deviantart.com/

Thanks for sharing this with us Krueger!

Maybe this movie will be like G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, another movie that made a lot of changes to established canon that I was expecting to hate but ended up really enjoying, but right now I'm kinda hoping this movie never gets made(or at least receives a new screenwriter).

If they want to get rid of the transformation, fine. Why keep Prince Adam though? I'd much prefer they keep He-Man if they have to make that change.

I've seen most of the 3D movies that have been released over the last few years and, except for Journey To The Center Of The Earth and My Bloody Valentine, I forgot I was watching it in 3D until it came time for me to take my glasses off(that goes for Avatar IMAX in 3D as well). All 3D seems to do is add a little depth to the scenery but not enough to warrant the surcharge movie theaters stick you with.

Quote Originally Posted by eternios View Post
    While i understand his statement that times have changed, i still would really really want to see a transformation scene, can't really understand what's wrong about it, besides, it's one of the most memorable things of the franchise.
    This seems to be the trend with Hollywood these days that is not based in fact at all. Most franchises are forced to be "realistic" & "edgy" with little fun. How the transformation scene for He-Man is considered too retro or stuck in the 1980's but a boy with a lightning bolt on his forehead who rides a broomstick is still hugely popular with children & adults beats me.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 11, 2010 at 10:39pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Thanks for sharing this with us Krueger!

Maybe this movie will be like G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, another movie that made a lot of changes to established canon that I was expecting to hate but ended up really enjoying, but right now I'm kinda hoping this movie never gets made(or at least receives a new screenwriter).

If they want to get rid of the transformation, fine. Why keep Prince Adam though? I'd much prefer they keep He-Man if they have to make that change.

I've seen most of the 3D movies that have been released over the last few years and, except for Journey To The Center Of The Earth, I forgot I was watching it in 3D until it came time for me to take my glasses off(that goes for Avatar IMAX in 3D as well). All 3D seems to do is add a little depth to the scenery but not enough to warrant the surcharge movie theaters stick you with.

This seems to be the trend with Hollywood these days that is not based in fact at all. Most franchises are forced to be "realistic" & "edgy" with little fun. How the transformation scene for He-Man is considered too retro or stuck in the 1980's but a boy with a lightning bolt on his forehead who rides a broomstick is still hugely popular with children & adults beats me.
    I'm sure Mattel will beat the studio down on this issue, the transformation and mantra as to iconic to be left behind!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I'm sure Mattel will beat the studio down on this issue, the transformation and mantra as to iconic to be left behind!
    I hope you're right. Maybe I'm just being foolishly optimistic but I keep thinking that the reason we don't have a new MOTU movie already is not because Mattel is lazy in getting anything made but because they're trying to make sure the script is perfect. Not only does this franchise have the possiblity of being the next Star Wars, it also has a built in spinoff with She-Ra and an automatic prequel with the Preternia stuff.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'd like to see both Adam and He-Man along with the transformation in the movie, but if they had to get rid of one of them, I'd want it to be Adam. Adam & Battle Cat together? It doesn't seem right.

If Transformers and GI Joe has taught us anything it is any movie made on any property will be changed. Mattel will not stand by their creation just to keep everyone happy. Hasbro certainly didn't with Transformers and GI Joe.

A blockbuster movie is basically a 2 hour merchandising event. What originally started in the 80's with the cartoons being an 30 minute toy advertisment has now transferred over to movies. Mattel will change what ever the studio wants to get this property out there. If you think Mattel will not budge on any changes then I have a huge suprise for you

I still feel Mattel is more protective of their franchises than Hasbro is. I'm not saying there might not be some changes, but I'm not worried that MOTU will be reduced to potty humor & "American Pie" hijinx similar to what befell Transformers. Not only did Mattel not let Disney use their Barbie character in the first Toy Story movie, while Hasbro let them use Mr. Potato Head, since they were unsure that the property would be treated with respect, Hasbro has also let Michael Bay make a third Transformers movie even though the last time he did, it was widely panned & accused of racism.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    If Transformers and GI Joe has taught us anything it is any movie made on any property will be changed. Mattel will not stand by their creation just to keep everyone happy. Hasbro certainly didn't with Transformers and GI Joe.

A blockbuster movie is basically a 2 hour merchandising event. What originally started in the 80's with the cartoons being an 30 minute toy advertisment has now transferred over to movies. Mattel will change what ever the studio wants to get this property out there. If you think Mattel will not budge on any changes then I have a huge suprise for you
    Except for one little thing. He-man is the star player in the MOTU line. If the movie is a two hour advertisement, you feature the star player, you don't pretend he doesn't exist. For whatever problems there was with the Transformers films, they still had Optimus front and center!