Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: New Writer Talks About Masters Of The Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Steve View Post
    The problem there is that despite all the promotion behind them, I really don't see any real "change" in the status of the DCU property thanks to the animated features. What I'm suspecting is you want something like those, which are made by fans for fans. Well, that is all fine and dandy, but that isn't what Mattel wants.
    Mattel wants a big production to get kids back into the aisles buying toys. An animated DVD feature will NOT get the same kind of attention as a big budget theatre feature.

Anything done with MOTU is going to be done to make money by selling toys. Thus far, the best way to do that has been with a Hollywood feature film. And most fans will probably hate it with all their souls, going by the response to the Transformers and GI Joe films.

But which cannon? The same issue cropped up with Transformers and GI Joe: as properties they are NUMEROUS and VARYING interpretations of those properties, of which the most recognizable was the 80s cartoon. I think any fans hoping the mini-comics be the "core cannon" will be horrendously disappointed.
    The powers that be will base it on the most recognizable rendition of the property, which will be the Filmation (and probably MYP given how Mattel has adapted that as their "core cannon" at the moment).
    I would like to see combination of the filmation and the 200x series.

Movie mayhem!
    I agree that its really important that kids get back into MOTU and so I hope the movie isn't TOO adult oriented. I think what we've seen with Transformers and GI Joe is a good idea of what to expect. Something that everyone can enjoy. Hopefully MOTU will learn for the things that aren't ideal in those movies though. I do think though that they really don't have to go TOO far geared towards kids. I assume when the movie comes out they will also do a new cartoon. Since we'll have the movie I think its a really good opportunity to do something really different with the cartoon, really gear it to todays child audience even if its at the expense of old fans liking it.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Since we'll have the movie I think its a really good opportunity to do something really different with the cartoon, really gear it to todays child audience even if its at the expense of old fans liking it.
    See, I really think it will be the other way round. With the film, we're probably going to get something that, as you rightfully stated, will be geared more towards the general audience, just like the Transformers and GI Joe films. Whereas the inevitable cartoon will probably take a lot of cues from He-Man of old.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    I hope Mattel sees soon how terrible such a film would be if made in today's Hollywood and just do animated direct to DVD films instead.
    I completely agree, it will be hard for Mattel to give up the rights to the movie. but there has to be people on both sides ready to talk about the idea of an animated feature. it is alot better off than spending millions on special effects and camera's. this staple is cartoon and should forever be a cartoon.
    Men who crave power, look back on all their mistakes, pile them all together and call it destiny.- Sorceress

Good Journey- Eternian saying
    Review of 2002 Image comics Masters of the universe Vol 1 #1 of 4: Here
    Trodorne's Masters Of The Universe Heroclix board. Here.
    Masters Of the Universe Heroclix Custom Dials. Here

Trevor Donovan was asked about He-Man. When was he ever rumored to be playing He-Man?

Yeah that's the first he's heard about that.

He's pretty good looking! Though I still prefer my man Jessie Pavelka!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Trevor Donovan was asked about He-Man. When was he ever rumored to be playing He-Man?
    I don't remember any rumors, but I must shamefully admit that I love the new 90210 and Trevor, especially with what's happening with his character right now! And he definitely has the body and the looks, and I'd even say the acting chops to play He-Man, so I wouldn't be opposed.
    – No comment.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Well, I decided to bite the bullet and listen to the interview. And wow, what a deja vu! It's like every unproduced superhero movie pitch from a flavor of the day director/writer ever. Seems like these people just want to take advantage of the brand recognizability but not have anything to do with the original ideas. "Those fools that made this franchise a success don't know what they want, but sure I do!"

The history of failed adaptations is filled with examples like this. Most never make it to the shooting stage (thankfully), but while we didn't get a black-suited cyborg zombie Superman who can't fly, sometimes stuff like Catwoman gets its chance to bomb at the box office. But do they learn? No.

But of course everyone in Hollywood knows you can't possibly build a succesful product around a near-naked musclebound man in a loincloth these days, right? Right?! And you know what else is certain? The age of the pirate movies is long past, and people will never, ever want to see them again!

It's so good we have such professionals to save us from our silly dreams...
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

He looks like he'd be a good Prince Adam. Not He-Man.

I listened to the interview and some things I heard proved interesting to me:

1. He says that the hero of today doesn't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger: they look like Adrien Brody.

2. He states that as a kid he was kinda' obsessed with He-Man (I guess he means the figures), but he'd never seen the cartoons since he grew up in Russia.

With everything I've read in this thread, I agree that we must have patience to see how this will play out. And we would be wise to not have any expectations because it's all really beyond our control. It'd be wonderful if many of the people on this message board could be in on the meetings and process that goes into making this film. But we have to be realistic - that's just never going to happen. Which is dumb, because there's so much great talent and creative people here.
    Last edited by Ge-Man; November 9, 2010 at 12:36pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    LOL @ the hero of today looking like Adrien Brody. Look I like Adrien Brody. He's a fellow tribesman and a great actor but he does not beat Arnold in his prime in terms of being an action hero of course. No one would ever have bought Brody as the Terminator and he paled in comparison to Arnold's Dutch in the original Predator.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by Ge-Man View Post
    1. He says that the hero of today doesn't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger: they look like Adrien Brody.
    Yeah. That's what you say when you can't GET Schwarzenegger.

Adrien Brody stands a better chance against a Predator than he does against Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Besides, I'm pretty sure no one could deliver the line, "What's got Billy so spooked?" better than Schwarzenegger. Or, "Let off some steam, Bennet," or "I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle."

Whoever "has the power," better look like it.

But maybe better not sound Austrian? I think I lost my train of thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

Never really heard of this guy, but just from watching this interview i think he might be able to pull it off. I think he does look a lot like heman from the 200x series. Do you know how old this clip is? I do like that people are talking about it on the street.

Trevor Donovan could pull it off to play Prince Adam.
    I would be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    It's like every unproduced superhero movie pitch from a flavor of the day director/writer ever. Seems like these people just want to take advantage of the brand recognizability but not have anything to do with the original ideas. "Those fools that made this franchise a success don't know what they want, but sure I do!"

The history of failed adaptations is filled with examples like this.
    My thoughts exactly!

Hollywood needs to learn this very valuable lesson: Don't try to fix what isn't broken!!!
    MOTU WANTS: Songster "Kevin Corrigan", Kittrina, Illumina, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Drissi, Caz Spritina, Sprag, Sprocker, Hunga the Harpy, Green Reptile Mask of Power Demon, Purple Wolf Mask of Power Demon, Lizorr, Hoove, Butthead, Staghorn, Colonel Blast, Monster Riders of Morc
    FILMATION: Battle Cat, Ram Man, Stratos Whiplash
    =>MOTU-Classics-Checklist