Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Writer Talks About Masters Of The Universe

At this point, even though I've been promised a MOTUC Castle Grayskull during a movie year by Mattel (LOL), I really do hope this movie never gets made.
    New animated series? Yes.
    A live-action movie that's going to get it all wrong like the 1987 movie did? I'd rather not, thanks.

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds promising. Thanks for posting this.

Sorry but MOTU is a big guy with a sword and a lion cloth. Skeletor is a guy with a skull for a head. You don't mess with the iconography.
    Don't bother calling them He-man and Skeltor if that is the case.

He says the world has moved on but tell that to Zack Snyder of 300 and the execs who made lots of money.
    And it's a bit rich saying that given how Predators is very like Predator which is an 80's movie.

Quite franky I don't think this guy is right for this at all. I liked Predators. But it was by no means brilliant nor is the writing that good and he didn't do it on his own.

I don't like his dismissal of the 87 movie either. Yes it is not good but there was a lot of things they got right.

Not impressed with this guy at all.

Don't bother calling it Masters of the Universe if you don't want to use what made the brand in the first place. Muscles and skulls.

That's not to say we need a roided up squat looking dude nor a floating skull. But they need to look like the characters. Their names are He-man and Skeletor after all.

Call the movie something else if that is the case.

Agreed with Eamon.

The new writer can't change the whole concept, essence and direction about MotU just because they want to attract the movie goers. They really need to read about the franchise fundamental element before this movie going forward to production. The movie goers are expect to see the classic element of the movie.

All the production need is they need to put a little modern update about warrior with chest vest and loincloth that didn't lose the original vibe and the whole concept. I am hoping that they would not go asthray from the original concept and vibe of the franchise.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Get with the times. Swords, muscles, loin clothes...all irrelevant. 3-D is all we need.

Sounds like we could be in for the ride of a lifetime with our 3-D glasses on.

3D is the mark of quality!!

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder why they'd make a big deal of it. Isn't pretty much every movie shot in 3D these days? Certainly every action/adventure movie? Just seems strange to be something for them to be focusing on.

Money, money, money!!

3D is merely an attempt to curb piracy! Hollywood looses millions a year due to piracy. Making movies in 3D weather it's a good idea or not, is what Hollywood feels will stop piracy.

Heroic Warrior
    But why pitch it as a selling point for this movie if these days, it's pretty par for the course?

It's not really part of the course as Transformers 3 will not be in 3D.
    I think this writer feels that saying it will be in 3D will add to the buzz.
    It won't.

Heroic Warrior
    I agree. I don't think it adds anything at all to the anticipation.

That's interesting about Transformers 3.

This seems to be the trend with Hollywood these days that is not based in fact at all. Most franchises are forced to be "realistic" & "edgy" with little fun. How the transformation scene for He-Man is considered too retro or stuck in the 1980's but a boy with a lightning bolt on his forehead who rides a broomstick is still hugely popular with children & adults beats me.
    Very well said. So far i completely agree with Eamon's opinion. If it's true and this is a huge gig for Sony, then the studio should collaborate in the right way with Mattel please, by getting the right people together, otherways part ways please instead of delivering crap!
    Visit my gallery on DA: http://artofdon.deviantart.com/

Heroic Warrior
    This guy sounds like he learned about MOTU just yesterday. When he said that theres no he-man or battlecat transformation i stopped playback and deleted the mp3. I dont need to listen to anything else....

Heroic Warrior
    Hmm it seems they dropped Justin Marks and hired...another Justin Marks.

Great job Hollywood

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    gee this sounds like it's going on the right track

what little hope i had is now gone
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I get what this guy is saying and I agree with most of it. I mean to a certain level these characters are not defined by being muscle bound barbarians. It isn't essential to their character and I agree 100% that their power should come from within. However from an aesthetic standpoint I think the movie needs some muscle and definitely needs a few loincloths to be recognizable as MOTU. Visually that's what the property is all about and hopefully Mattel will realize and enforce that.

However I get the feeling that this is what Mattel wants. After all it was their concept art that consistently had He-Man thin and dressed like a knight. It was also in their art to cover Skeletor's skull and tech out all of the heroes. I really feel that this is the new direction Mattel wants to take the property, and that the studios, writers, and so on are just following their lead.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    as much as i love it for it's cheese factor, i never thought you could make a worse motu than the 80's one, so far with the news it turns out you can
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

While the designs were definitely different and some of the characters & canon were left out, I don't think the 1987 MOTU movie contradicted anything that came before it.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    It's not really part of the course as Transformers 3 will not be in 3D.
    I think this writer feels that saying it will be in 3D will add to the buzz.
    It won't.
    On the contrary. Transformers 3 will not only be released in 3D, but is also being shot with 3D cameras:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/07/...ce-3d-cameras/

Back to the MOTU script. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions and are just winding themselves up. Let's wait and see if this thing gets off first-base first. There is no reason yet why people should start declaring this new writer the devil and wishing that the film doesn't get made.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 12, 2010 at 07:13pm.

I give up.
    I no longer have any hopes for this movie as it'll be yet another In The Name Only crap.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

[QUOTE=Krueger;2475940]On the contrary. Transformers 3 will not only be released in 3D, but is also being shot with 3D cameras:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/07/...ce-3d-cameras//QUOTE]

Oh! That must be new then as I read in Empire that bay was not doing 3D. I guess he wasn't able to hold his ground either.

Sorry but MOTU is a big guy with a sword and a lion cloth. Skeletor is a guy with a skull for a head. You don't mess with the iconography.

He says the world has moved on but tell that to Zack Snyder of 300 and the execs who made lots of money.
    And it's a bit rich saying that given how Predators is very like Predator which is an 80's movie.

Quite franky I don't think this guy is right for this at all. I liked Predators. But it was by no means brilliant nor is the writing that good and he didn't do it on his own.

I don't like his dismissal of the 87 movie either. Yes it is not good but there was a lot of things they got right.

Don't bother calling it Masters of the Universe if you don't want to use what made the brand in the first place. Muscles and skulls.

That's not to say we need a roided up squat looking dude nor a floating skull. But they need to look like the characters. Their names are He-man and Skeletor after all.

Indeed.
    *beep* sake! The concept isn't that complicated:
    Villain wants to gain ultimate power that would make him into a master of universe, but the hero stands in his way.

And yet they screw it up...

And why such negativity about name "He-man"?!
    It just means "strong man".
    It's not any more sillier than Batman, Green Lantern, Magneto... yet no one has problems with those.

Money, money, money!!

3D is merely an attempt to curb piracy! Hollywood looses millions a year due to piracy. Making movies in 3D weather it's a good idea or not, is what Hollywood feels will stop piracy.
    Nope. It's because tickets for 3D projections cost more.
    The piracy thing is just to excuse their own actual thefts:
    http://scifiwire.com/2010/07/11-bigg...fi-blockbu.php

And check this out:
    http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-governme...piracy-100413/

(note that I'm not trying to justify piracy. It is still illegal reproduction and distribution)
    Last edited by Grimbot; July 13, 2010 at 10:25am.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Heroic Warrior
    This seems like a good topic for the next roast gooble dinner!

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar

Co-signed on all of the above.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vazqjose View Post
    This seems like a good topic for the next roast gooble dinner!
    I think this topic is Gobbles destiny.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.