Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Writer Talks About Masters Of The Universe

Heroic Warrior
    Yet another incompetent Hollywood hack and hired gun that doesn't truly understand the property or fanbase and what makes it popular and appealing in the first place.

I will be addressing this to Mattel at San Diego.

This sounds like the moronic Justin Marks script all over again.

It's not about ****ing magic vs. technology or vice ****ing versa. What is appealing about MOTU is that it's a world that combines both science fiction and fantasy or science fiction and magic.

Skeletor is a sorcerer but he still has an engineer and scientist on his team, TRI-KLOPS! Why is this so ****ing hard to understand?

Stop trying to reinvent the damn wheel.

The Justin Marks script basically dropped He-Man as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Regarding the transformation. Whatever form it takes (although I’m pretty sure they seem to be going for a more internal one), you can almost guarantee that the “By the Power of Grayskul” line will be uttered somewhere. Even Justin Marks saw to that.

And I’m glad that we’re not getting any steroid abusers. I’ve always been of the opinion that the characters should be lean and athletic rather than hulking mountains of muscle.
    No he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trodorne View Post
    Its hard for me to try to say anything good about this director. but im happy that he is keeping some things from the original concept of He-man. well no he-man, he-man itself is only an ideal of a person who rises to the occasion. a muscle man in a loin cloth wielding a sword is a ridiculous concept. like i said i don't have anything positive to say.

If it's so ridiculous how the hell did this become a franchise and make millions of dollars? Why are adult men and women today still buying toys and action figures and wake up at the crack of dawn to make online orders for action figures of a muscle man in a loin cloth wielding a sword? Its a ridiculous concept so what do you have anything to do with a ridiculous concept?

You know what else is ridiculous? A man with comparative strength and agility of a spider that wears tights and calls himself SPIDER-MAN with a hyphen. So ridiculous it became a billion dollar movie franchise.
    Last edited by TheVileOne; July 18, 2010 at 06:08am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    .I do not want everything to be different, I just mentioned about the transformation.i love the comics, i love the cartoons but I think that some things must change to live-action movies.
    for example
    logan has no yellow spandex suit in the x-men movie,this must be for some reason, not by a whim of a costume designer
    Granted, yellow spandex would look silly on film, the costume designers of
    the X-Men franchise didn't bother tapping into many different eras of the
    property to come up with more creative costumes? Clearly they lacked
    creativity if all they could come up with was black leather and street clothes, but I digress.

A He-Man transformation scene could actually work, it would just have to
    be properly executed. Adam doesn't necessarily have to sprout muscles, but
    they can highlight the armor aspect of his transformation, whether it be his
    regular harness or perhaps one of the other types of armors he dons.

but why CAN'T he sprout muscles? why is that silly? The Hulk does it, Shazam does it, Bane does it. this kind of thing isn't unheard of in fantasy, they aren't making an earth based non fictional story, this is high fantasy ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. LOTR had walking TALKING TREES, why can't a prince get imbued with magical powers with the possesion of a sword, destiny and an incantation??

I meana grown man can dress up as a bat and scare the hell out of criminals and we BUY that on modern day earth but we can't buy He-Man ona distant planet??
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    but why CAN'T he sprout muscles? why is that silly? The Hulk does it, Shazam does it, Bane does it. this kind of thing isn't unheard of in fantasy, they aren't making an earth based non fictional story, this is high fantasy ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. LOTR had walking TALKING TREES, why can't a prince get imbued with magical powers with the possesion of a sword, destiny and an incantation??

I meana grown man can dress up as a bat and scare the hell out of criminals and we BUY that on modern day earth but we can't buy He-Man ona distant planet??
    While he's not technically growing muscles, "nerdy" Clark Kent walking into a phone booth & flying out as Superman is an iconic transformation and featured in 2 beloved movies(Superman 1 & 2 although I personally like Part 3 as well). If it works for him, why not He-Man?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

about skeletor , obviously has to have a skull, but I'd like to be a skull with some tissues, so skeletor can do some expressions, when he laughs or gets angry, this would be good for the acting.
    I think Harvy dent two faces is the way though with much less tissue and more skull for skeletor.

Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 19, 2010 at 12:08am.

Not saying that a transformation can't alter his muscular structure, but I
    don't think it would be a necessity unless we were talking about a teenage
    rendition of Adam. With characters like Hulk and Bane, those are sorta their
    gimmicks. Since Shazam or Captain Marvel's alter ego is a child, then it
    makes perfect sense, if that were the case with teenage Adam.

I do agree that the mythical and iconic elements shouldn't be watered
    down or removed simply because people lack imagination and can't
    suspend their belief. Considering the fact that we have other pieces
    of cinema like LOTR and SW, I don't think there should be a double
    standard regarding MOTU especially considering the fact that this isn't
    a story set on Earth, therefore anything can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Not saying that a transformation can't alter his muscular structure, but I
    don't think it would be a necessity unless we were talking about a teenage
    rendition of Adam. With characters like Hulk and Bane, those are sorta their
    gimmicks. Since Shazam or Captain Marvel's alter ego is a child, then it
    makes perfect sense, if that were the case with teenage Adam.

I do agree that the mythical and iconic elements shouldn't be watered
    down or removed simply because people lack imagination and can't
    suspend their belief. Considering the fact that we have other pieces
    of cinema like LOTR and SW, I don't think there should be a double
    standard regarding MOTU especially considering the fact that this isn't
    a story set on Earth, therefore anything can go.
    I get what you mean you're right too, thing is it feels as though these people are forgetting that this is high fantasy. as you said Star Wars and LOTR exist and have done well, so why does MOTU have to tone down the fantasy aspects that have kept many of us fans for nearly 30 years. It seems they are so afraid of the camp of Filmation that they also run away from the fantasy elements, it's so simple just up the threat and threat responses in the movie filmation's camp value was more than anything Lou's way of making sure the show was safe for kids to watch, with this new movie that isn't as much of a fear. not saying to make it R rated butn todays toons are far more violent than those of yesteryear. so drop the fear and write a damn good HE-MAN MOVIE.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If it works for him, why not He-Man?
    Exactly, for some odd reason studios and writers always have double
    standards when it comes to particular things. A transformation isn't
    hard to pull off with the technology made available today. Removing
    it is like removing Superman's ability to fly, you can't simply divorce
    this element from what made He-Man so iconic

If they think a man sprouting muscles while holding up a sword is silly, then
    perhaps they can compromise and focus more on armor forming as
    he cites "by the power of greyskull". It can work, I don't know
    why they're pretending its implausible or silly.

so drop the fear and write a damn good HE-MAN MOVIE.
    I'm with you on that one brother.

Like I said, double standards. No one seems to have a problem with a talking
    lion in the Chronicles of Narnia yet they have issues with a Green Tiger
    clad in armor?
    Last edited by Azrael; July 18, 2010 at 05:09pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Because they are afraid they have no business adapting or working on this brand in the first place.

-CM Punk

I must admit, I donít like the idea of a world fractured by civil war. It seems that Mattel maybe liked Justin Marks take after all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Because they are afraid they have no business adapting or working on this brand in the first place.
    EXACTLY.
    I must admit, I don’t like the idea of a world fractured by civil war. It seems that Mattel maybe liked Justin Marks take after all.
    I think they like the planet torn apart as it gives gravity to the story which to them amps up the level of seriousness. I don't mind it but why bother withmagic vs tech when all you have to do is have those who were trapped in the dark hemisphere waging war with those in the light?
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Exactly, for some odd reason studios and writers always have double
    standards when it comes to particular things. A transformation isn't
    hard to pull off with the technology made available today. Removing
    it is like removing Superman's ability to fly, you can't simply divorce
    this element from what made He-Man so iconic

If they think a man sprouting muscles while holding up a sword is silly, then
    perhaps they can compromise and focus more on armor forming as
    he cites "by the power of greyskull". It can work, I don't know
    why they're pretending its implausible or silly.

I'm with you on that one brother.

Like I said, double standards. No one seems to have a problem with a talking
    lion in the Chronicles of Narnia yet they have issues with a Green Tiger
    clad in armor?
    exactly, why does MOTU have to turn into Saving Private Ryan to be legitimate? I'm not saying that Bays transformers were good movies, but the concept of transformers is so childish and ridiculous but no one bats an eye at them keeping it. Giant alien robot races at war with each other turn into earth vehicles and fight on our planet. how realistic is ANY of that? but it's beloved, what if they made the transformers into humans and they were just good at wearing disguises?

**no offense to transformers fans almst all these toy concepts are rooted in the ridiculous, if we keep in mind our day to day sensibilities, but int he universe that they exist in, it makes complete sense. once you try to legitimize the concept for O"UR reality, you fall flat and it becomes cheesy.
    Last edited by krosfyah; July 18, 2010 at 06:52pm.

Fear is faith in failure

Widget
    I must admit, I donít like the idea of a world fractured by civil war. It seems that Mattel maybe liked Justin Marks take after all.
    Mattel didn't dislike Justin Mark's script, they disliked the script Warner Bros. was going with instead of the Justin Mark's script. I think the Warner Bros. script had Prince Adam as an astronaut from Earth who crash-landed on Eternia.

I hope in the new script, they do not make a reference to Queen Marlena as an Earthling astronaut either, like it was done in the Filmation mythos.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellow Eternian View Post
    Mattel didn't dislike Justin Mark's script, they disliked the script Warner Bros. was going with instead of the Justin Mark's script. I think the Warner Bros. script had Prince Adam as an astronaut from Earth who crash-landed on Eternia.
    What's your source on that info? It sounds like you are recycling more fake rumors.

I hope in the new script, they do not make a reference to Queen Marlena as an Earthling astronaut either, like it was done in the Filmation mythos.
    Queen Marlena wasn't even in the Marks script for instance.

-CM Punk

Seeing how Transformers came to the big screen, and how GI Joe was handled I have absolutely no hope for the MOTU movie.

Even if it does get made before 2015, it is certain that a handful of talentless hackeneyed money grubbing airheads will ruin these characters for me.

While it could be as great as X-Men, Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars, heck, even Underworld franchaises. I expect nothing. I just can't set myself up for this kind of disappointment.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; July 19, 2010 at 02:01am.

I just listened to the interview and I must say I am quite disappointed. Why must they continue to ruin my childhood favorites...sighs.
    "I was born in the 70s, and I'm a child of the 80s."

Widget
    What's your source on that info? It sounds like you are recycling more fake rumors.

Queen Marlena wasn't even in the Marks script for instance.
    Let me rephrase - I believe that Mattel never got the Justin Mark's script from Warner Bros. because I read somewhere that Warner Bros. wanted Adam to be a marooned astronaut from Earth...

I didn't mean Queen Marlena was in the Justin Mark's script, I just meant that I hope they do not make that reference in the movie - whichever script they use...

Heroic Warrior
    Let me rephrase - I believe that Mattel never got the Justin Mark's script from Warner Bros. because I read somewhere that Warner Bros. wanted Adam to be a marooned astronaut from Earth...
    Sounds like another fake rumor with no basis in anything.

I didn't mean Queen Marlena was in the Justin Mark's script, I just meant that I hope they do not make that reference in the movie - whichever script they use...
    It has not been in any script I read . . . yet.

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Seeing how Transformers came to the big screen, and how GI Joe was handled I have absolutely no hope for the MOTU movie.

Even if it does get made before 2015, it is certain that a handful of talentless hackeneyed money grubbing airheads will ruin these characters for me.

While it could be as great as X-Men, Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars, heck, even Underworld franchaises. I expect nothing. I just can't set myself up for this kind of disappointment.
    TF movies pretty much show that nothing is too silly/ridiculous for Hollywood. Just look at this:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...ilming-170218/

I think the Warner Bros. script had Prince Adam as an astronaut from Earth who crash-landed on Eternia.
    Didn't someone from Mattel said that such script doesn't exist?
    Last edited by Grimbot; July 19, 2010 at 05:04pm.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Didn't someone from Mattel said that such script doesn't exist?
    I don't know about that one but they said the script where Adam is a US soldier(in Irag I believe) doesn't exist.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I would not mind if he-man looks physically like the new conan, but I would not want him to be thinner than that.

That's a good size for He-Man imho

the size is good as you can tell he's strong and he still looks like he's agile and fast.

Fear is faith in failure

Size doesn't matter for me. What I mean to say is that I want a fit He-Man. Any of the men with their cut chests would work for me. However, the issue of acting keeps coming up and I totally agree. He has to be able to act.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Size doesn't matter for me. What I mean to say is that I want a fit He-Man. Any of the men with their cut chests would work for me. However, the issue of acting keeps coming up and I totally agree. He has to be able to act.
    yes he chould be able to act. but you wouldn't mind a Jason Statham build for he-man?

Fear is faith in failure

Jason Statham maybe a little too thin for it in my opinion BUT I'd love for him to be in it maybe TRI KLOPS so he can kung fu and sword fight

He man HAS TO BE AN ACTOR! (whos hunky and bulked up) period...
    lets face it fantasy or not it 's going to take some skill to make "HE-MAN" the most powerful man in the universe believable and not laughable

P.S. the more I think about statham as Trike the more I cant let it go...

P.P.S I'll still play a killer RAM-MAN for free :rmblush:
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

If it's so ridiculous how the hell did this become a franchise and make millions of dollars? Why are adult men and women today still buying toys and action figures and wake up at the crack of dawn to make online orders for action figures of a muscle man in a loin cloth wielding a sword? Its a ridiculous concept so what do you have anything to do with a ridiculous concept?

You know what else is ridiculous? A man with comparative strength and agility of a spider that wears tights and calls himself SPIDER-MAN with a hyphen. So ridiculous it became a billion dollar movie franchise.
    sorry i should have put a sarcasm note cause im not happy with this man. at all.
    Men who crave power, look back on all their mistakes, pile them all together and call it destiny.- Sorceress

Good Journey- Eternian saying
    Review of 2002 Image comics Masters of the universe Vol 1 #1 of 4: Here
    Trodorne's Masters Of The Universe Heroclix board. Here.
    Masters Of the Universe Heroclix Custom Dials. Here