Thread: MOTU upscaled digital files on Blu-Ray(!)

MOTU upscaled digital files on Blu-Ray(!)

We know the original film elements were destroyed by Hallmark in 1994 or so when the company acquired the rights to the Filmation library. They remastered/cleaned up the film elements on digital support, and this is what you get on the BCI/Classic Media DVDs.

But the DVD support creates a lot of issues with compression. What if they release BD editions of MOTU and the Filmation cartoons featuring the "usual" digital files without the compression? That would be an improvement, despite the image is and will always be standard definition.

Is that even possible?
    Have you ever tried to "upscale" the image of the MOTU DVDs on your plasma screen anyway?
    Last edited by Vanquest; July 30, 2010 at 08:58am.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

I have tried yes and it DOES look better.. or maybe it's the placebo effect...

Anyway.. I hope MOTU gets a Blu-ray release.. Voltron is getting one, why shouldn't we?

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    As has been explained before, the Filmation library cannot be done in high-def. To do so would require the original master prints, and since Hallmark disposed of them after transferring the library to digital media, it isn't possible.

I believe it was BCI Guy who said that for that reason, what we've seen on BCI's sets (and by extension any from anyone else who releases them in the future) are as good as we're going to get. All thanks to Hallmark....
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by transfan80 View Post
    As has been explained before, the Filmation library cannot be done in high-def. To do so would require the original master prints, and since Hallmark disposed of them after transferring the library to digital media, it isn't possible.

I believe it was BCI Guy who said that for that reason, what we've seen on BCI's sets (and by extension any from anyone else who releases them in the future) are as good as we're going to get. All thanks to Hallmark....
    Yeah, I know that, but I was referring to another issue: DVD compression. Compression is generated by the DVD support, it's not related to the "digital files" themselves.
    If you upload the digital files on BD format, you should eliminate the DVD compression phenomenon by default. That's it.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I'm sorry, for I don't know anything about upscaling possibilies on ones TV?

But as far as I understood it from BCI Guy's post, the matter of the fact is, that when Hallmark made the digitized versions from original prints, they didn't digitize them in high enough resolution so they could be Blu-Ray quality definition.

The material on the DVDs is what we have. You would need to have more resolution lines added to the material to make it "blu-ray quality" in case I understand the issue correctly. And you can't add more resolution lines, unless you have original source material (the film print).

Someone feel free to correct me if I have gotten something wrong about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Yeah, I know that, but I was referring to another issue: DVD compression. Compression is generated by the DVD support, it's not related to the "digital files" themselves.
    If you upload the digital files on BD format, you should eliminate the DVD compression phenomenon by default. That's it.
    Any improvement would be virtually unnoticeable. If we would've compressed the heck out of the episodes to fit more episodes on a disc, then maybe, but we put only 6 and 7 on each. That's a maximum of 154 minutes on a DVD 9. That's only 2.5 hours of content.

I've watched some of the raw digital files, they look just like the DVDs.

Again, with all the original materials destroyed, we're left with what Hallmark did. First their remastering process was a heavy "scrubbing". It got rid of dust and scratches, but it also eroded the line art. That's why some of the finer detail lines are really thin or even gone. Those aren't ever coming back. Then it was scanned and digitized at SD resolution. There just isn't a way to make them look better.

Upscaling them and putting them on a Blu-ray isn't going to make them look any better than playing them on an upscaling machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I'm sorry, for I don't know anything about upscaling possibilies on ones TV?

But as far as I understood it from BCI Guy's post, the matter of the fact is, that when Hallmark made the digitized versions from original prints, they didn't digitize them in high enough resolution so they could be Blu-Ray quality definition.

The material on the DVDs is what we have. You would need to have more resolution lines added to the material to make it "blu-ray quality" in case I understand the issue correctly. And you can't add more resolution lines, unless you have original source material (the film print).

Someone feel free to correct me if I have gotten something wrong about this.
    I think Vanquest was refering to pixelization which occurs during transformation scene on some volumes.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Again, with all the original materials destroyed, we're left with what Hallmark did. First their remastering process was a heavy "scrubbing". It got rid of dust and scratches, but it also eroded the line art. That's why some of the finer detail lines are really thin or even gone.
    It seems to me they weren't so much "smoothed" as you say, IMHO. Ghostbusters series (live action series and cartoon) both looks excellent and plenty of detail. It was done one hell of remastering.