Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you think thor movie can help motu movie?

do you think thor movie can help motu movie?

i think thor movie is so difficult to adapt for a film like motu, a mighty warrior with a "magic hammer" living in a fantastic world, where there are fantasy characters , warriors, trolls and also is not a character so popular.
    I think thor has several points in common with motu and I think this movie can motivate sony to put this movie on green light.

what do you think ?

I dunno, i think Conan may have more in common with MOTU. Thor has much more of an Earth connection then MOTU. The whole coming to Earth thing they had in the MOTU movie felt much more in line with Thor or The New Gods, or some Kirby thing then with MOTU.

sadly MOTU isnt backed by a ginormous studio like marvel (last i heard WB owned the movie rights and were just sitting on it? not sure of the facts here). And i dont think it is popular enough among "common" people for other studios to invest (enough) in.

With Harry Potter getting over next year, WB is now making DC its main franchise, and i dont think they would consider a MOTU movie before making something like 5 green lantern reboots. So unless its sold to some other studio, its probably not gonna happen in the near future.

I'm wondering if anything can help MOTU at this moment. Seems like we keep going in circles here.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

i understang thor is behind the giant marvel but motu is behind the giant mattel.
    I do not know but it seems that Mattel has no power.

Im sure if they forged the actual sword of power then they would have the power.
    Men who crave power, look back on all their mistakes, pile them all together and call it destiny.- Sorceress

Good Journey- Eternian saying
    Review of 2002 Image comics Masters of the universe Vol 1 #1 of 4: Here
    Trodorne's Masters Of The Universe Heroclix board. Here.
    Masters Of the Universe Heroclix Custom Dials. Here

I see what you mean, in the sense that Thor is also pretty much a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, but I don’t think so. Thor is its own beast. Based on a marvel comic character. Marvel is big, bigger than MOTU. Some of the visuals might get future makers of a MOTU film excited, but I think that’s as far as any influence would go.

Still, as you said, it might excite and motivate Sony.

Heroic Warrior Muscle of Grayskul's Avatar
    I think it can't hurt by any means, it definitely has the fantasy and mystery with a blend of muscle added and I think that is definitely important and hopefully it will be successful. Hopefully that success will turn heads and pound into the script-writers and producers heads that a He-Man with muscle needs to be present in the film. I'm not saying we need a Mr. olympia turned actor like Arnold to play the role but to not have a He-Man character who is physically superior than the supporting cast is wrong and missing something that makes He-man great. I think if Thor and Conan both do well I think that success definitely helps the Master of The Universe movie. I think both franchises share different elements in common with MOTU, so both movies being successful I think can only help

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I'm wondering if anything can help MOTU at this moment. Seems like we keep going in circles here.
    Indeed, I very much enjoy reading many of the same topics pop up, responding to them over and over again and reading the same counter-responses. I'm almost convinced I'm more entertained by how much we want an awesome movie than what Hollywood could provide us.

As far as what can help this movie? Thor, sure, why not? I know that most people in this forum want to help MOTU...

Let us help you, MOTU...

Budgets for the respective movies will be the deciding factor. Thor has a huge budget; as far as I know, the largest Marvel has ever had for a comic character.
    I can't really see the Motu movie having the same resources to work with. But, sometimes less is more...it forces more improvisation.

It sure as hell can't hurt.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal1972 View Post
    Budgets for the respective movies will be the deciding factor. Thor has a huge budget; as far as I know, the largest Marvel has ever had for a comic character.
    I can't really see the Motu movie having the same resources to work with. But, sometimes less is more...it forces more improvisation.
    True! Cyborg had nothing in the way of the budget of the first MOTU movie and yet it is still a better film.

Too bad () the licensing fell out or we could of had an even closer depiction of eternia, the original dialog and character names. It probably wouldn’t have saved the franchise but at least it would have been an attempt at something original.

Here's hoping that the new film remembers that it's core market is AO and not PG13.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Honestly, I don't think the MOTU movie is going to happen. Thor movie is a guaranteed hit because Marvel is backing up the movie and it's tied to Iron Man, Captain America, and the upcoming Avengers movie. The character is recognizable and established.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

If Thor is a success, could He-Man be far behind?

Thor Trailer:
    http://www.kino-govno.com/players/jw...ied&type=video

So this looks like it will be done very well, and the costumes will have much of the comic book flare while not looking silly.

SO... if Thor ends up being a success, which from the Trailer it looks like it very well could...

Do you think it will effect the possibility of a He-Man movie being far behind?

I think one of the hesitations for a He-Man movie would be how it would translate to film without changing it a lot like they did with the 80's film. (characters, costumes, background, location etc)
    The new Thor movie seems to be sticking well to its intended look. Horns on Loki, Asgard, capes, etc. Which today is a bit unusual for comic book/cartoon based movies to do. They tend to try to "dumb down" the colors and flare of the originals. ie. Darker "bright colors", like in X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man. etc. No giant Galactus in purple armor in Fantastic Four. That kind of thing.
    And let's face it, He-Man is full of "bright and colorful" characters with out of this world looks and such.

Maybe audiences are finally ready for less "realistic" images on the screens?

I hope Thor succeeds, and it shows them that a He-Man movie would also do well.
    Last edited by Patreek; October 8, 2010 at 03:23am. Reason: Merged thread
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

I had hoped that once they found someone buff enough to play Thor, they could give him a haircut (and apparently also a shave) and he would be ready to play He-Man. That is most likely a pipe dream but I think someone of a similar build to Thor (I can't remember the actors name at the moment) could pull off playing He-Man. Now with the Disney promotion machine behind it and the success of the other movies in the Avengers franchise I'd dare say Thor will be a guaranteed Box office smash.

Now if you consider the similarities between Thor and He-Man: Magic, mid-evil weapons, locations that are not Earth, and also a muscular blond haired warrior. I'd say Thor's success could put He-Man on the fast track to production (and perhaps make the writers rethink some script ideas).
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    If THOR succeeds, (ie makes $$$ and doesn't get ultra hated-on)
    I'll be shocked.

The trailer is good, but I just have a hard time envisioning a good Thor movie.

I'm actually hoping THE HOBBIT will open the door for MOTU, as a slightly younger focused fantasy realm story. Narnia kinda BRICKED this...

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I think that He-man is going to be made into a movie, but because everything else is!!!!!

This looks like it will be very good. BUt will have to wait and see. Can't wait lol.

Maybe.

Someone made a thread on this before and I remember saying that it probably wouldn’t because Thor is its own thing. But yeah, I suppose from a visual perspective, it may inspire Sony to get a move on with a MOTU movie. I also think another film that may have an affect on a MOTU film is the new Conan, which is scheduled to come out next year. So, folks, even if you don’t like the look of it, go and watch the new Conan film in the cinema! I was planning to, anyway.

I think Thor doing well will have less to do with the fact that he's a similar blonde barbarian type to He-Man and more to with the general attempt Hollywood's had to release and reboot both comic book and 80's franchise films. Spider-Man and Transformers are some of the best examples. 20-30 somethings have been waiting for over twenty years to see the underwear they wore in the 80's to come to life. They wore Superman thermals to bed and a plastic He-Man one piece for Halloween. Those markets are considerably related based on the consumers. Namely, many of US.

Thor doing well should have a positive effect because Hollywood is losing faith in these old franchises, especially after the failure of this past summer. Anything that gives them the impression these properties are bankable, then yes. It should have an affect, but the same affect a third successful Transformers film, the new Zach Snyder Superman (if that happens) or the Spider-Man reboot and Batman sequel.

It's just the stuff we group up with. The longer we pay good money to watch them revived the longer they'll keep making them.

Heroic Warrior
    Watching the trailer and seeing the screenshot, the styling looks uncannily like the '87 MOTU movie. I don't know if Stout had anything to do with it, but I think someone on the design team has secretly been watching our favourite B-movie!

It has to be a good sign if this style of fantasy is back 'in'.

after watching thor I definitely think this movie can help motu movie , maybe thor movie push to sony agents to say "green light".

I saw it yesterday. I thought it was a pretty good film. It was actually much more fantasy-centric than I thought it was going to be. There was a lot more time spent on Asgard than I thought there would be. Regarding Asgard, there were certain shots here and there that really did remind me of the MYP He-Man cartoons, particularly the royal palace. Funny. Good film, though.

I don’t know if it can help a MOTU film, but it being a success certainly won’t hinder it, as it’s more of a sci-fi/fantasy film than just straight up superhero film. Who knows, if it makes a lot of money, it might inspire Sony, as visually speaking it looks very much like how you would imagine a MOTU film to look. It seems to be doing very good business at the moment.

The film has already accumulated about 100 million in 4 days and it has not been released yet in usa .

Court Magician
    If Conan is a hit as well as Thor, a MOTU movie getting the green light could be imminent.