Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Realistic way to keep He-Man's "Transformation" & have Battle Cat "Talk"

  1. #1
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629

    Realistic way to keep He-Man's "Transformation" & have Battle Cat "Talk"

    I was just thinking about this last night, for some reason, and it just came to me...

    I was thinking... How could you translate Adam's iconic cartoon transformation into He-Man, into a believable, "realistic," live-action sequence in the next film, without it coming off as "cheesy" and unnecessary?

    I thought for a bit, and then it just cam to me... "stop time!"

    Every time Adam would need to transform into He-Man "on the fly" and "discretely" as well, he could; all he would have to do is simply make sure he was in a secluded area, or simply in a "facing-away" or rather "unseen" position in the same room as others who don't know of his secret, and simply raise his sword (or maybe he only needs to grip it) and call out (or whisper even; or maybe he needs only concentrate hard enough) the legendary incantation, and as soon as that first breath (or thought) is made, "time" begins to slow, coming to a complete stop as soon as the incantation is completed and the transformation has begun, and then "resumes" post transformation with only a fraction of a second having passed in "real time."

    So then I was thinking about Battle Cat and Cringer... How do we keep them "talking" in a new film, without them, him, coming off as "cheesy" or "childish" as some have argued?

    Well, again I thought for a moment, and again, it just came to me!

    Eternia is a place of "technology" and maybe more importantly, "magic" right? I think we can all agree on that. So then why not simply make Cringer and Battle Cat be "given" the ability to "speak" only after being gifted with the Powers of Grayskull? And to make it even more realistic, perhaps, when Battle Cat or Cringer "speaks" only He-Man and those "in the know" are able to actually "hear" his words in their own native tongue, whereas others not "in the know" whom are in "hearing distance" would simply hear the normal speak, or growls, of a giant, green and yellow-stripped tiger.

    What do you think?
    I think if done right, both classic elements could be kept intact and still be made believable! And hey, this is science fiction anyway, right?
    – No comment.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    871
    I think you are essentially saying that the transformation happens in some sort of isolated and invisible vacuum. To me it's not a big deal. Its simply narrative economy and it doesn't need to be an issue unless its made one.

    Here's the point, movies and TV narrative fiction always have all sorts of confusing crap or garbage that can't be explained, resolved, or justified. Things that logically and feasibly make no sense in how they could work.

    Let's just take this for instance. In the Spider-man movies, Sam Raimi says there is no way that Peter Parker could come up with a device like the web shooters in real life. Web shooters were left out and were a huge debated point with fans. That said, the fallacy here is that even though Peter Parker can't make webshooters himself apparently he can make all his costumes himself. According to Peter in the movies he makes his costumes. So he can put together some sleek fancy amazingly tailored costumes that in real life cost thousands of dollars and are meticulously crafted but he can't make webshooters? To me its a little silly argument, but ultimately I let it go.

    You can always find logical fallacies that make no sense in comic book movies so sometimes explanations for changing this or that make no sense to me.

    I think the idea of being married to Cringer talking is foolish. Cringer talking is a rather useless detail that the material never needed. You can get that Cringer is sort of a fraidy cat without hearing him talk. Just give him some character to speak of.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  3. #3
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,112
    I have an issue witht he "realistic" part. worrying too much about making things realistic will ruin this movie. so long as it's realistic on eternia it's fine. the writers directors and actors have to believe in what theya re doing without having to over explain everything. too much explanation is like knowing how a magician does all his tricks, it makes you cynical and you lose the sense of wonder at the spectacle.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  4. #4
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,484
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I have an issue witht he "realistic" part. worrying too much about making things realistic will ruin this movie. so long as it's realistic on eternia it's fine. the writers directors and actors have to believe in what theya re doing without having to over explain everything. too much explanation is like knowing how a magician does all his tricks, it makes you cynical and you lose the sense of wonder at the spectacle.
    QFT!!

    This is why a lot of Hollywood fantasy movies bomb! It doesn't need to conform to "Earth" reality. Star Wars is a perfect example. It is its own world with its own rules and so should Hollyternia be...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  5. #5
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    10,024
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I have an issue witht he "realistic" part. worrying too much about making things realistic will ruin this movie. so long as it's realistic on eternia it's fine. the writers directors and actors have to believe in what theya re doing without having to over explain everything. too much explanation is like knowing how a magician does all his tricks, it makes you cynical and you lose the sense of wonder at the spectacle.
    Agreed. No one seemed to have a problem with the talking creatures of the Narnia or Lord Of The Rings movies and MOTU is similar in that it takes place in a fantasy world as well. As soon as I hear the word "realistic" when it comes to a fantasy or superhero movie, I automatically get ready for the usual Hollywood "bull". If they can't handle a franchise because it isn't "edgy" or "realistic" enough, then leave it alone until someone that has more respect for the franchise & faith in its success comes along.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  6. #6
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,339
    I'm not a fan of having Battlecat talk. I think there is a certain level of discrimination and degredation in having animals talk. It is like saying Battlecat is not as valuable a hero because he can't talk.

    I think there is a certain sense in nobility and fierceness knowing Battlecat is a beast who is just as heroic and loyal to He-man. I think forcing Battlecat to talk would just reduce him to a cartoon character.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

  7. #7
    Skeletors Plastic Surgeon Pyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    889
    "Realistic" means that the laws of physics and nature need to apply to what we know to be factors in our world. If Eternia is not earth, then the world of He-Man can have its own rules to how things work. The hope is that the new laws of this world will be consistant so that it feels like a true new environment.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior H.A.L.9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ba'hee Priss Dimmie Forever!!
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I'm not a fan of having Battlecat talk. I think there is a certain level of discrimination and degredation in having animals talk. It is like saying Battlecat is not as valuable a hero because he can't talk.

    I think there is a certain sense in nobility and fierceness knowing Battlecat is a beast who is just as heroic and loyal to He-man. I think forcing Battlecat to talk would just reduce him to a cartoon character.
    this.............^
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

  9. #9
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne
    You can always find logical fallacies that make no sense in comic book movies so sometimes explanations for changing this or that make no sense to me.
    I absolutely agree. I'm just trying to come to some sort of compromise, if you will, that would say, appeal to the largest movie-going audience, while staying faithful to the source material.

    I think the idea of being married to Cringer talking is foolish. Cringer talking is a rather useless detail that the material never needed. You can get that Cringer is sort of a fraidy cat without hearing him talk. Just give him some character to speak of.
    I, personally, am not "married" to Cringer talking, but Battle Cat, yes, I suppose I am. So maybe Cringer in fact doesn't speak, simply because he needs to be "actively" endowed with the Power of Grayskull, so then of course Battle Cat would be able to "speak." I'd definitely be ok with that. I just know that Battle Cat "speaking" is a big issue for a lot of fans, and they would like it included in the next film.

    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah
    I have an issue witht he "realistic" part. worrying too much about making things realistic will ruin this movie. so long as it's realistic on eternia it's fine. the writers directors and actors have to believe in what theya re doing without having to over explain everything. too much explanation is like knowing how a magician does all his tricks, it makes you cynical and you lose the sense of wonder at the spectacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo
    QFT!!

    This is why a lot of Hollywood fantasy movies bomb! It doesn't need to conform to "Earth" reality. Star Wars is a perfect example. It is its own world with its own rules and so should Hollyternia be...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti
    Agreed. No one seemed to have a problem with the talking creatures of the Narnia or Lord Of The Rings movies and MOTU is similar in that it takes place in a fantasy world as well. As soon as I hear the word "realistic" when it comes to a fantasy or superhero movie, I automatically get ready for the usual Hollywood "bull". If they can't handle a franchise because it isn't "edgy" or "realistic" enough, then leave it alone until someone that has more respect for the franchise & faith in its success comes along.
    I 've gotta agree with all of you really. When I said "realistic," I maybe should have put in "quotes," and clarified that I meant it in "relative" terms. And yes, I absolutely agree, not everything should be explained and should be left to mystery. And maybe the transformation and BC speaking are two of those things...or maybe not.

    So yes, what I meant was "realistic" in terms of Eternia, not Earth… But then again, there is of course many, many other similarities between Eternia and Earth (just as Star Wars and other sci-fi share many Earth-similarities) that are already in place as established by all previous motu canons, so really, it's where you draw the line (or rather, where the director of the next film will draw the line) which in terms of fantasy/sci-fi, becomes pretty much arbitrary. Like I said, I was just trying to come to a sort of "realistic" "compromise" between us, the die-hard fans, and them, the maybe not-so-forgiving, nor belief-suspending, general movie-going public whom collectively will have the most cash to burn.

    Last edited by Neutro; August 25, 2010 at 05:56pm.
    – No comment.

  10. #10
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    10,024
    I would say that Battle Cat talking isn't necessary, but I remember the MYP show where he was basically a furry vehicle. I want him to be a little more important than that.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Stuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bouncing around between NC, SC and CA...
    Posts
    101
    Neat ideas. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure when it comes to those issues they'll either leave them out of the movie entirely or pull it off believably. However, the idea of a kind of Dr. Dolittle He-Man is, itself, intriguing...

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    I absolutely agree. I'm just trying to come to some sort of compromise, if you will, that would say, appeal to the largest movie-going audience, while staying faithful to the source material.
    I think that's OK in some instances. However, Hollywood never truly knows what the moviegoing public wants. Look at Iron Man, the first movie adapted the character pretty perfectly except for some slight tweaks. Pretty much everything that happened in it had some sort of basis in the 616 comics.

    I, personally, am not "married" to Cringer talking, but Battle Cat, yes, I suppose I am. So maybe Cringer in fact doesn't speak, simply because he needs to be "actively" endowed with the Power of Grayskull, so then of course Battle Cat would be able to "speak." I'd definitely be ok with that. I just know that Battle Cat "speaking" is a big issue for a lot of fans, and they would like it included in the next film.
    You see why should Battle Cat though? Battle Cat has NEVER talked. Cringer talked and it was generally bad comic relief. With the new series they ditched Cringer talking but Cringer and Battle Cat were still EXACTLY the same in every respect besides the talking detail.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  13. #13
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne
    You see why should Battle Cat though? Battle Cat has NEVER talked. Cringer talked and it was generally bad comic relief. With the new series they ditched Cringer talking but Cringer and Battle Cat were still EXACTLY the same in every respect besides the talking detail.
    I do agree that in Filmation, Cringer talking was definitely something geared towards children, as well as being comic relief for that same younger audience. Which is why Cringer speaking is something I could willing let go for a new, mainly-adult aimed, film, because like you said, just like what MYP did, his true essence of character could still be kept intact without having him actually speak.

    Battle Cat on the other hand, brings up a broader issue for me – magic. Going with the idea that Eternia is the "magical," otherworldly place that it is, it could be argued that animals not speaking, while the norm on Earth, would seem odd on Eternia. Because speaking animals, in my eyes, is something that would be truly, "magical," and would therefore heighten the overall "fantastic" experience I'd have of the next "live-action" interpretation of Eternia. Yet that of course wasn't what I was suggesting, rather I was saying, ok let's adhere to that Earth-rule of non-speaking animals, on Eternia, but then of course, once we introduce "magic" into the picture (in this particular case, the Power of Grayskull) then anything may become possible, like Battle Cat speaking. And the "realism" in relative terms, would be that yes, just like on Earth, where the animals simply, physically, do not have the correct glands and vocal cords to reproduce "human" speech, the same would be true on Eternia, but it is this "magic" that would allow He-Man and "some" others, to hear and understand Battle Cat in their own native, Eternian tongue.

    Oh, and Battle Cat actually always spoke in the Fimation series (just not nearly as much as Cringer did!)
    – No comment.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,094
    I'm not too bothered about how they would do a possible Adam to He-man translation (providing when the movie is actually made it has Adam - if we're lucky). I'm sure the'd do some sort of light show and there you have it.

    Though I absolutely don't want Cringer talking. Not even as Battle Cat. It's childish and I don't think it would come off well in a hopefully more mature MOTU film. I don't mind him having a personality that you could tell through his actions, but talking would be cheesy. This is my opinion, but for me it's an absolute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  15. #15
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I would say that Battle Cat talking isn't necessary, but I remember the MYP show where he was basically a furry vehicle. I want him to be a little more important than that.
    I have to disagree with you on that one. Cringer and Battlecat had a lot of moments where they stood out and you see their personalities. I remember some moments where Cringer pulled Adam out of danger and risked his own life for him. I also remember a time Battlecat had a flashback to a location and saved Queen Marlena. The specific episodes escape me but I'll look them up later.

    I lament the fact that they never really made a Battlecat centered episode, but I'm sure they would have if the show continued.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

  16. #16
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    10,024
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I have to disagree with you on that one. Cringer and Battlecat had a lot of moments where they stood out and you see their personalities. I remember some moments where Cringer pulled Adam out of danger and risked his own life for him. I also remember a time Battlecat had a flashback to a location and saved Queen Marlena. The specific episodes escape me but I'll look them up later.

    I lament the fact that they never really made a Battlecat centered episode, but I'm sure they would have if the show continued.
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. Maybe Cringer stood out more(but why did he sound like a kitten?), but Battle Cat had little personality imo. Although I felt the same way about He-Man. That's one of the main reasons I don't like the MYP show. He-Man & Battle Cat were bland secondary characters in their own show. Again, imo
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,554
    I think it's a little silly IMO to be talking "childish" about aspects of a show that had a talking skeleton as the main villain and a guy whose main ability was hitting things with his head. It's like someone complaining that liking Spider-Man is geeky but Transformers is cool. It all looks geeky and or childish to the outside world. How it translates into a movie is all up to how well the crew does its job. If they can find a way to make the Widgets work, I say go for it.

    Thinking about it, depending on how the CGI looks, having Battle Cat talk would look no weirder than , say, having a giant crab man, skunk , or snake talk. I think there's plenty of people who'd like, for example, Stinkor in the movie. To the average movie-goer, having a talking skunk would be no more or less weird than having a talking cat.
    Last edited by Super He-Man; August 29, 2010 at 06:20pm.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

    DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

    My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Neal1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I'm not a fan of having Battlecat talk. I think there is a certain level of discrimination and degredation in having animals talk. It is like saying Battlecat is not as valuable a hero because he can't talk.
    I agree with you. I want Battle Cat to be fierce and intimidating, not silly. It's fine in a cartoon, but for me it's translation in a live action feature would not come off well.

  19. #19
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I'm not a fan of having Battlecat talk. I think there is a certain level of discrimination and degredation in having animals talk. It is like saying Battlecat is not as valuable a hero because he can't talk.

    I think there is a certain sense in nobility and fierceness knowing Battlecat is a beast who is just as heroic and loyal to He-man. I think forcing Battlecat to talk would just reduce him to a cartoon character.
    Ok, I disagree. I think you're just reading a little too much into this. He should talk, imo, because that is simply part of is character, from his most popular/known interpretation – the Filmation series. And I don't think him talking is "degrading," rather, I see it as something "magical" and fantastic, and of course, in character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    I think it's a little silly IMO to be talking "childish" about aspects of a show that had a talking skeleton as the main vision and a guy whose main ability was hitting things with his head. It's like someone complaining that liking Spider-Man is geeky but Transformers is cool. It all looks geeky and or childish to the outside world. How it translates into a movie is all up to how well the crew does its job. If they can find a way to make the Widgets work, I say go for it.

    Thinking about it, depending on how the CGI looks, having Battle Cat talk would look no weirder than , say, having a giant crab man, skunk , or snake talk. I think there's plenty of people who'd like, for example, Stinkor in the movie. To the average movie-goer, having a talking skunk would be no more or less weird than having a talking cat.
    ...thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal1972 View Post
    I agree with you. I want Battle Cat to be fierce and intimidating, not silly. It's fine in a cartoon, but for me it's translation in a live action feature would not come off well.
    I sincerely believe, with the right direction, he can be both... and in "live-action."

    – No comment.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Ok, I disagree. I think you're just reading a little too much into this. He should talk, imo, because that is simply part of is character, from his most popular/known interpretation – the Filmation series. And I don't think him talking is "degrading," rather, I see it as something "magical" and fantastic, and of course, in character.
    But is it truly a necessity that he be permitted to speak? Battle Cat/Cringer
    can convey just as much personality in his disposition and how he reacts to
    particular situations. I believe the only magical requirement should be how
    a timid tiger becomes an armor clad battle prowess beast, that alone would
    suffice. Filmation's interpretation may be the most known, however I
    believe a new film would benefit from being patterned off of MYP series.

    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    How it translates into a movie is all up to how well the crew does its job. If they can find a way to make the Widgets work, I say go for it.

    Thinking about it, depending on how the CGI looks, having Battle Cat talk would look no weirder than , say, having a giant crab man, skunk , or snake talk. I think there's plenty of people who'd like, for example, Stinkor in the movie. To the average movie-goer, having a talking skunk would be no more or less weird than having a talking cat.
    I agree, how its translated would be a key thing to consider. I'm actually
    neutral concerning this topic as Narnia depicted a talking Lion and so there's
    no real reason why MOTU can't have a talking Tiger, however its not really
    necessary for the character to be heard audibly.

    It may not be any weirder, but you also have to consider that characters like
    Clawful, Stinkor and the Snakemen are all humanoid hybrid-esque characters, unlike Battle Cat.
    Last edited by Azrael; August 29, 2010 at 06:17pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  21. #21
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Neat ideas. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure when it comes to those issues they'll either leave them out of the movie entirely or pull it off believably. However, the idea of a kind of Dr. Dolittle He-Man is, itself, intriguing...
    Thanks! And I do try not to worry too much, but these two aspects are very important to me, so much so, that I feel leaving out He-Man's transformation would be akin to leaving out Skeletor, and taking away Battle Cat's ability to speak (however as I explained above, I'd forgive taking it away from Cringer,) would be an unnecessary change to his character.

    And in regards to C/BC talking, if you remember, in the Filmation series, there was also a very fan beloved talking dragon by the name of Granamyr. And he, like C/BC, seemed to be the only of his species with that ability.

    Panthor for instance, didn't talk, and I honestly do not remember any other large beasts that could talk either. And because of this, it really came across to me that there was some sort of "magic" involved that allowed Granamyr and C/BC that special ability. Further, Adam and Cringer's encounter with the "Laughing Swan Inn's" bartender on Etheria seemed to substantiate this when he expressed his "surprise" that Cringer could "speak." Yet at the same time, it seemed, to the bartender, that it wasn't like Cringer speaking was an impossibility, rather it seemed more like he simply regarded the talking tiger as something rare, that was probably made possible by some sort of "magic." Now this is just one instance that I can recall, and yes, it was on Etheria, but I'd gather that the general public on both Eternia and Etheria, would've reacted and reasoned similarly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    But is it truly a necessity that he be permitted to speak? Battle Cat/Cringer
    can convey just as much personality in his disposition and how he reacts to
    particular situations. I believe the only magical requirement should be how
    a timid tiger becomes an armor clad battle prowess beast, that alone would
    suffice.
    Although I don't believe C/BC "speaking" is necessarily a "necessity" in order to convey the essence of his character (as I agreed that MYP did a fair job retaining that essence of character through facial and physical expressions,) I do personally believe that it would be an "unnecessary" change to his character, for the reasons I tried to convey above.

    Filmation's interpretation may be the most known, however I
    believe a new film would benefit from being patterned off of MYP series.
    Now while I think there are a lot of good things that could be pulled from both the Filmation and MYP series, I would think it unwise to only base a new movie off the MYP series, especially when you consider that (regardless of the exact reasons) the MYP series was prematurely canceled due to poor ratings. But like I said, both series had their high and low points, so I think the best solution would be to draw from both of them.

    I agree, how its translated would be a key thing to consider. I'm actually
    neutral concerning this topic as Narnia depicted a talking Lion and so there's
    no real reason why MOTU can't have a talking Tiger, however its not really
    necessary for the character to be heard audibly.
    And the talking bear from The Golden Compass was also done very well (unfortunately for the film as a whole, it was also it's only redeeming value, imo.)

    It may not be any weirder, but you also have to consider that characters like
    Clawful, Stinkor and the Snakemen are all humanoid hybrid-esque characters, unlike Battle Cat.
    One word... "Granamyr." He should be considered as well.

    -----

    And on a side note, in regards to this thread, my original intentions were more to discuss the "how" of the "transformation" and the "talking beasts" could be translated in a (relatively) "realistic" fashion to "live-action" in the next film, rather than simply "whether or not" either aspect should be included, so if anyone else has some other ideas apart from my own on "how" to translate the two, please feel free to express them here as well.

    And that is not to say that I haven't enjoyed or appreciated, or welcome more, comments like all the ones previous so far, because I truly have, as I otherwise wouldn't have been responding to them.

    I just wanted to make it clear that I also welcome any other or additional ideas you all may have of "how" to translate these two aspects.
    Last edited by Neutro; August 30, 2010 at 05:54am.
    – No comment.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Now while I think there are a lot of good things that could be pulled from both the Filmation and MYP series, I would think it unwise to only base a new movie off the MYP series, especially when you consider that (regardless of the exact reasons) the MYP series was prematurely canceled due to poor ratings. But like I said, both series had their high and low points, so I think the best solution would be to draw from both of them.
    Perhaps I should have clarified myself a bit more. I don't believe that a film should
    take elements solely from the MYP series, but maybe a great portion of
    it. I'll gladly welcome other elements from all facets of MOTU, however I
    also believe that if they drew from the MYP they would also inherently
    draw elements from the Filmation series as well since the MYP contained
    many elements of the original animated series.

    One word... "Granamyr." He should be considered as well.
    True, however I believe Granamyr would be more of an exception.
    Afterall, as was pointed out, Panthor doesn't speak, so it may be
    more consistent to not allow Battle Cat to speak either.

    And on a side note, in regards to this thread, my original intentions were more to discuss the "how" of the "transformation" and the "talking beasts" could be translated in a (relatively) "realistic" fashion to "live-action" in the next film,

    I just wanted to make it clear that I also welcome any other or additional ideas you all may have of "how" to translate these two aspects.
    As for the transformation. I would approach it like this, have it be a one
    time event, that happens in the final act of the film. Adam's natural
    muscular physique doesn't need to be alter, simply highlight the armor
    that magically appears on him as he transforms. There would also be no
    real secret identity so to speak, merely two different modes.

    So when Adam holds up the sword and harnesses the power of Grayskull
    he simply becomes more faster, agile, stronger, wiser and armor clad.
    When the power is not being utilize, Adam retains the natural abilities
    of any normal man. The only thing I would keep secret is how he taps
    into that power, only a few selected characters would know that secret.

    I would definitely invest in Adam's character and how he copes with
    the responsibilities of having such powers and how he struggles and
    balances his role as Prince and having the title of He-Man.

    I believe that one transformation sequence per film would keep things
    simple, as well as make it a momentous and highly anticipated event.

  23. #23
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,339
    I have to say this: Filmation is not the end all be all of the MOTU universe. The MYP series did exceed the FIlmation cartoon in a lot of ways and I think they nailed the characters more than Filmation ever did.

    Now, some elements from Filmation would work, but I think a huge talking cat would just look bad on the big screen. What's his intelligence level? Is he technially allowed to give orders? Is Battlecat ranked higher than Man-At-Arms? Can BC read or write? If Battlecat can talk, why doesn't Panthor? How come the animals they eat don't talk either? How doesn't the falcons talk either?

    These questions would just get tossed around at the movie screenings and it would just put people out and reduce the movie to a kiddie flick.

    Going to the transformation, I know this isn't a popular idea, but the movie has to be motion capture for it to work. It's a given that MOTU has to be heavy CGI and I think motion capture has to be in for a lot of characters and for He-man. The real actor would be Prince Adam and He-man himself would need some motion capture to fully show the transformation and make him believable.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

  24. #24
    Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Posts
    684
    Talking animals don't work. NEVER
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

  25. #25
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    As for the transformation. I would approach it like this, have it be a one
    time event, that happens in the final act of the film. Adam's natural
    muscular physique doesn't need to be alter, simply highlight the armor
    that magically appears on him as he transforms. There would also be no
    real secret identity so to speak, merely two different modes.

    So when Adam holds up the sword and harnesses the power of Grayskull
    he simply becomes more faster, agile, stronger, wiser and armor clad.
    When the power is not being utilize, Adam retains the natural abilities
    of any normal man. The only thing I would keep secret is how he taps
    into that power, only a few selected characters would know that secret.

    I would definitely invest in Adam's character and how he copes with
    the responsibilities of having such powers and how he struggles and
    balances his role as Prince and having the title of He-Man.

    I believe that one transformation sequence per film would keep things
    simple, as well as make it a momentous and highly anticipated event.
    Hey, I'd definitely be down for that too. And it could still work the way I explained, whether they actually explain it (show it) or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I have to say this: Filmation is not the end all be all of the MOTU universe. The MYP series did exceed the FIlmation cartoon in a lot of ways and I think they nailed the characters more than Filmation ever did.

    Now, some elements from Filmation would work, but I think a huge talking cat would just look bad on the big screen. What's his intelligence level? Is he technially allowed to give orders? Is Battlecat ranked higher than Man-At-Arms? Can BC read or write? If Battlecat can talk, why doesn't Panthor? How come the animals they eat don't talk either? How doesn't the falcons talk either?

    These questions would just get tossed around at the movie screenings and it would just put people out and reduce the movie to a kiddie flick.
    I don't think so. Again I think you're maybe just overthinking this a bit. There should already be a level of belief-suspending that movie-goers should have going into a "MOTU" film which should also include "magically" talking animals.

    Going to the transformation, I know this isn't a popular idea, but the movie has to be motion capture for it to work. It's a given that MOTU has to be heavy CGI and I think motion capture has to be in for a lot of characters and for He-man. The real actor would be Prince Adam and He-man himself would need some motion capture to fully show the transformation and make him believable.
    I do think this is one possible direction to go, like what was done with the "Hulk" films, but I also wouldn't rule out separate actors. I'm still undecided here.
    – No comment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •