Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Is anyone else throwing up their hands at this point, and just hoping for a...

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Morningway View Post
    I would certainly prefer CGI, or even animation, to a live action movie. Thus far I've heard such horrible things from a possible live action script, things like there not being a transformation sequence, He-Man not needing to be muscular, Skeletor being all about technology without the magic, Skeletor not needing to have a skeletal face, etc. Hearing these things made my jaw drop a little more each time; I've smacked myself in the head so often that I'm starting to develop a natural indentation of my hand on my forhead. The news just gets worse and worse with every new writer, and every new script. The idiots that they keep handing this very valuable property to seem to be absolutely clueless about just how great MOTU is, and even worse, they don't seem to care enough to find out.

    Make a CGI, or animation movie, and give the writing chores to someone who knows, and loves the property. There are still people who wrote for the original filmation show around, as well as Mike Young producitons from the
    200X series, let one, or a number of them come up with a kick-ass script, and the movie will be legendary!

    I understand that some of us would prefer a CGI or animated movie. Me, myself, I want live action. My question is. If they announce that the movie will be CGI, what makes you think that they wonít try to make the same changes to the story or characters, that so many currently fear?

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    Even if the film was all CGI, it doesn’t mean there wouldn’t be design and story changes. There would be, regardless. It seems that because He-Man is mainly remembered for being animated, that some fans expect a feature film to be animated as well. I don’t agree with this. IMO, it seems small-minded and unimaginative to think it should be animated. It would be an incredible cop-out if, after all these years stuck in development hell, they gave us a CGI animated film like TMNT that ran for a scant eighty minutes. If the reason why a lot of people feel that animation would ensure that story and design alterations would be kept to a minimum, I’m afraid I think those people would come away very disappointed. As I said, change is inevitable, whatever form the film takes.

    There is simply no reason why Eternia and all the wonderful characters and creatures that inhabit it can’t be done in live-action. If we were having this discussion ten years ago and beyond, then I may agree with animation, but we've seen what's capable today. Just look at the Green Lantern trailer.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 17, 2010 at 09:46pm.

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Valley of Gnarl
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    ...what makes you think that they wonít try to make the same changes to the story or characters, that so many currently fear?
    You do have a point, it is unlikely that we would get away without something being changed. But with animation/CGI the reasons for changing it are less. Very often, it seems that the suggested changes sneak in there simply because it is believed that some things are too difficult to translate from cartoon to live action; making it animation/CGI takes away a number of excuses for making a change, like the transformation sequence, or a muscular actor for He-Man, etc.
    I just hope that Mattel holds true to their property, and doesn't let some shmo talk them into making silly changes.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Morningway View Post
    You do have a point, it is unlikely that we would get away without something being changed. But with animation/CGI the reasons for changing it are less. Very often, it seems that the suggested changes sneak in there simply because it is believed that some things are too difficult to translate from cartoon to live action; making it animation/CGI takes away a number of excuses for making a change, like the transformation sequence, or a muscular actor for He-Man, etc.
    I just hope that Mattel holds true to their property, and doesn't let some shmo talk them into making silly changes.
    But, are a few design changes here or there really that bad? For example, is it essential that Trap-Jaw has blue skin or that Man-at-Arms’ armour is orange and green? I actually think Man-at-Arms’ armour in the 87 film was pretty spot on for a real world setting, and the animated colour scheme was no where to be seen.

    I’ll say it again, I just feel that an animated film would be such a cop-out, considering the boundless world of live-action films today, and also taking into account how long it would have taken for this film to actually get made by the time it comes out. An animated film would feel like a cheap compromise, IMO.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 18, 2010 at 09:28pm.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Valley of Gnarl
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    But, are a few design changes here or there really that bad? For example, is it essential that Trap-Jaw has blue skin or that Man-at-Armsí armour is orange and green? I actually think Man-at-Armsí armour in the 87 film was pretty spot on for a real world setting, and the animated colour scheme was no where to be seen.
    Sorry, but I disagree. Yes, a few design changes here or there really are that bad, because once you open that door then they never stop. Yes, it is essential that Trap Jaw have blue skin, and yes it is essential that Man-at-arms have at least a semblance of the same armor and color that he currently has. And what you said there, about "real world setting" is also a misnomer, because this movie should not have a "real world setting", it should have a Masters of the Universe setting. Once you start going down the "real world setting" route, then its only a matter of time (usually seconds) before you start saying, well that wouldn't work in the real world, and suddenly He-Man becomes some skinny kid with an automatic rifle, because that's how it would be in the "real world".

    I noticed in another thread that the Germans have come up with a technology that allows them to add/decrease the size, weight, and muscle-mass of a person digitally, after the filming has been done. Now, this gives me hope for a live action MOTU movie. If they could use this to pump up He-Man, and many of the others, to their proper proportions, then this movie could indeed be made like it should be, rather than the farce that it is beginning to become.
    Last edited by Fighting Foe Man; November 19, 2010 at 09:56am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Morningway View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. Yes, a few design changes here or there really are that bad, because once you open that door then they never stop. Yes, it is essential that Trap Jaw have blue skin, and yes it is essential that Man-at-arms have at least a semblance of the same armor and color that he currently has. And what you said there, about "real world setting" is also a misnomer, because this movie should not have a "real world setting", it should have a Masters of the Universe setting. Once you start going down the "real world setting" route, then its only a matter of time (usually seconds) before you start saying, well that wouldn't work in the real world, and suddenly He-Man becomes some skinny kid with an automatic rifle, because that's how it would be in the "real world".

    I noticed in another thread that the Germans have come up with a technology that allows them to add/decrease the size, weight, and muscle-mass of a person digitally, after the filming has been done. Now, this gives me hope for a live action MOTU movie. If they could use this to pump up He-Man, and many of the others, to their proper proportions, then this movie could indeed be made like it should be, rather than the farce that it is beginning to become.

    I think when we talk about a real world setting, were not talking about a earthly setting. For example: Man-at-Arms wearing orange could make him an easy target on a battle field. When bringing to life a cartoon series, you can't have the props looking the same as they do in the cartoon. If the do look the same it makes the finished product look generic (i.e. speed racer).

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Valley of Gnarl
    Posts
    221
    Well, I can't speak for Speed Racer, as I haven't seen it. But for a character such as Man-at-arms, he isn't supposed to be a stealthy kind of guy. He's kind of like Iron Man, more of a beacon against those that would oppose the side of good. If need be they could dull the green and gold/orange a little bit, but I really do think they should keep everything the way that it is.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Morningway View Post
    Well, I can't speak for Speed Racer, as I haven't seen it. But for a character such as Man-at-arms, he isn't supposed to be a stealthy kind of guy. He's kind of like Iron Man, more of a beacon against those that would oppose the side of good. If need be they could dull the green and gold/orange a little bit, but I really do think they should keep everything the way that it is.
    Yeah. I am good with the green, but the orange should be like a classic bronze. I have never inserted a picture before, so I hope this works.

    Last edited by Mick.Jeep; November 19, 2010 at 06:43pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Morningway View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. Yes, a few design changes here or there really are that bad, because once you open that door then they never stop. Yes, it is essential that Trap Jaw have blue skin, and yes it is essential that Man-at-arms have at least a semblance of the same armor and color that he currently has. And what you said there, about "real world setting" is also a misnomer, because this movie should not have a "real world setting", it should have a Masters of the Universe setting. Once you start going down the "real world setting" route, then its only a matter of time (usually seconds) before you start saying, well that wouldn't work in the real world, and suddenly He-Man becomes some skinny kid with an automatic rifle, because that's how it would be in the "real world".

    I noticed in another thread that the Germans have come up with a technology that allows them to add/decrease the size, weight, and muscle-mass of a person digitally, after the filming has been done. Now, this gives me hope for a live action MOTU movie. If they could use this to pump up He-Man, and many of the others, to their proper proportions, then this movie could indeed be made like it should be, rather than the farce that it is beginning to become.
    When I say “a real world setting”, I mean a real Eternia as though it was a real planet, with a real culture and wildlife and so forth. Think Pandora and Middle-Earth. I think your comments are slightly biased, though, and leave little to no room for compromise, which is a fairly big problem with a lot of fans. Must the people who make and design the film, whether it be animated or live-action, be slaves to the original designs and concepts? Yes, even I believe that they must adhere to the original incarnation, thus respecting it, but I also believe that some new and fresh ideas may actually go a long way. I think Trap-Jaw having normal flesh-coloured skin is a pretty minuscule change in comparison to what they could do. So, no, I don’t think it essential that Trap-Jaw has blue skin or that Man-at-Arms has orange and green armour.

    I think some people really need to understand that a film will have an aesthetic quality all of its own in order to A, work as a film, and B, to attract an audience. And that’s way before we even get into the story.

    If a major studio's MOTU adaptation is nothing but a slavish homage to the original cartoon, then it will fail, because it would have alienated 99% of its audience who don't even know who Skeletor is. Case in point: Speed Racer. As a MOTU fan who wants the brand to grow and flourish, I don’t want to see that happen.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 19, 2010 at 09:07pm.

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior Sky Breaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,101
    It is frustrating to see all these 80s properties (Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, and soon Thundercats) are getting successful reboots and big screen productions. Hasbro has shown a willingness to make things happen with their properties. Mattel has not.

    TMNT no doubt recieved its new CGI treatment because of its successful run as a cartoon since 2003. If the 200X series did anywhere near what Mattel was expecting, maybe we wouldn't be having these discussions. We'd have our MOTU movie.

    I would gladly take a new CGI MOTU movie if it means generating the interest to warrent a live action, but I'm not holding my breath. DC/Warner Bros seem to be pumping out these DC movies non stop. I just finished watching Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam and it was fun. Though very flat as far as story telling goes, and they did nothing to really make the characters do anything more than you'd expect, visually, it was fantastic.

    Maybe Mattel's willingness to do DC VS MOTU two packs could be indicative of their willingness to work with DC/Warner later with some MOTU projects. Ya think?
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 20, 2010 at 03:01am.

  11. #36
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    Not sure I want to see a DC/MOTU project. I hate crossovers.

    But I agree that it is frustrating.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  12. #37
    Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perdition, Finland
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    For example, is it essential that Trap-Jaw has blue skin or that Man-at-Armsí armour is orange and green?
    Did you know that humans can actually have blue skin? There's a condition called argyria, caused by excessive exposure to silver that can turn you blue. Google it up. They could use that exact shade on Trap-Jaw. (I actually used it in my Trap-Jaw reimagining bio: one of his bionics broke and leaked silver into his system while he was in prison, unable to fix it.) As for the green face, I'm not so sure. Two strange skin colours on the same character could be too much of a challenge to pull off believably, though if it can be done, they definitely should go for it.

    As for Man-at-Arms, I always assumed as a child that the orange was supposed to represent bronze both in the toy and in the cartoon (and minicomics). Actually I was really disappointed when they went with just orange plastic in the 200X toyline. They should keep the suit underneath green though. It just works. I always assumed it was dyed leather or some thick fabric, not actual armor (except for the 200X version of course).

    Anyway, I wouldn't mess with the iconic color schemes too much, not when you can think of ways to make them work. Changing details and tweaking the shades is okay but you shouldn't change their looks so much they could just be different characters.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

    Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

    Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Valley of Gnarl
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    When I say ďa real world settingĒ, I mean a real Eternia as though it was a real planet, with a real culture and wildlife and so forth. Think Pandora and Middle-Earth. I think your comments are slightly biased, though, and leave little to no room for compromise, which is a fairly big problem with a lot of fans. Must the people who make and design the film, whether it be animated or live-action, be slaves to the original designs and concepts? Yes, even I believe that they must adhere to the original incarnation, thus respecting it, but I also believe that some new and fresh ideas may actually go a long way. I think Trap-Jaw having normal flesh-coloured skin is a pretty minuscule change in comparison to what they could do. So, no, I donít think it essential that Trap-Jaw has blue skin or that Man-at-Arms has orange and green armour.
    I think what must be asked is whether or not there needs to be a change. I can agree that having Man-at-Arms wearing something akin to a copper, or a brass color instead of bright orange or yellow is not a problem; the toning down of the colors is all that is needed. But when you start to change a characters skin color, for no real reason, that is when you start to get into problems. Trap Jaw needs to be blue-skinned, otherwise he is no longer the same character. By the by, blue skin is "real world" as far as an Eternian setting goes, so no reason to change that at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    If a major studio's MOTU adaptation is nothing but a slavish homage to the original cartoon, then it will fail, because it would have alienated 99% of its audience who don't even know who Skeletor is. Case in point: Speed Racer. As a MOTU fan who wants the brand to grow and flourish, I donít want to see that happen.
    If 99% of the audience doesn't know who Skeletor is then the movie is either being shown on another planet, in a jungle to some indiginous tribe, or to a group of Omish. Skeletor has a ton of pop culture references, so much so that even if you are not a MOTU fan, you will know who Skeletor is; now, should they make many of the ridiculous changes to Skeletor (such as no skully face) that may well change. And I highly doubt that if they adhere to the established continuity that it will fail, because that is what has made it popular to begin with. You are making the same mistakes that the Hollywood people make, and that is thinking you can better recreate what has already been successfully created. Continue the story, don't try to change what has already been established, and very well loved.

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Morningway View Post
    If 99% of the audience doesn't know who Skeletor is then the movie is either being shown on another planet, in a jungle to some indiginous tribe, or to a group of Omish. Skeletor has a ton of pop culture references, so much so that even if you are not a MOTU fan, you will know who Skeletor is; now, should they make many of the ridiculous changes to Skeletor (such as no skully face) that may well change. And I highly doubt that if they adhere to the established continuity that it will fail, because that is what has made it popular to begin with. You are making the same mistakes that the Hollywood people make, and that is thinking you can better recreate what has already been successfully created. Continue the story, don't try to change what has already been established, and very well loved.
    Okay, Skeletor was a bad example. So I’ll give you that. I think it’s safe to say that Skeletor is probably more famous and popular than He-Man himself. What I was alluding to, though, was that the vast majority of the audience won’t be die-hard fans like ourselves. Sure, there will be a few, but a large percentage won’t even know much, if anything, about MOTU at all. I think some fans have to accept this as fact. Arguably, it’s these kinds of people who will determine whether or not the film will be a success or a failure. In a mellow-dramatic sort of way, it’s them who will determine the future of the brand. They won’t really care if Trap-Jaw has blue skin. They just want a good night out at the cinema. Sony and Mattel are more than likely aware of this, especially Sony.

    I would actually love it if Trap-Jaw turned up with blue skin, a green face and a red helmet. He’s always been my favourite character. But I also wouldn’t be refusing to watch the film if he didn’t. And that sentiment goes for everything else. That’s not to say I would feel okay if Trap-Jaw were to turn up with four arms, six legs and two heads. There are limits when it comes to redesigning thirty-year-old designs. Being respectful and adhering to the original design is a must, but the designers shouldn’t feel obliged to remain exactly the same. I know that I would feel this way if I was on the design team.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 20, 2010 at 03:22pm.

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Valley of Gnarl
    Posts
    221
    I can get on board with that. As long as there are no massive changes, that's the key. For example, the MYP series was not exactly the same as the Filmation, which was not exactly the same as the mini-comics that preceded it, but the changes that were made still fit with the overall scheme of things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    Yeah. I am good with the green, but the orange should be like a classic bronze. I have never inserted a picture before, so I hope this works. http://www.lowes.com/pd_173886-76018...8_4294937087_?

    http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...93073853lg.jpg
    I would be ok with that.
    Last edited by Fighting Foe Man; November 20, 2010 at 10:12pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior kelddorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Really, I think CGI ala Avatar is the only way to go. Even the alien jungle in Avatar was amazing, and kinda reminded me of Eternia.

    The MOTU movie I envision is the classic box art come to life. Sure, some characters can be done with suits/prosthetics, but you still need a HUGE bodybuilder type guy to play He-Man who can ACT.
    yeah but only if cameron or bay got ahold of it, camerons avatar was awsome, and so is most of his other movies. and i for one thought both transformer flicks were awsome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Okay, Skeletor was a bad example. So Iíll give you that. I think itís safe to say that Skeletor is probably more famous and popular than He-Man himself. What I was alluding to, though, was that the vast majority of the audience wonít be die-hard fans like ourselves. Sure, there will be a few, but a large percentage wonít even know much, if anything, about MOTU at all. I think some fans have to accept this as fact. Arguably, itís these kinds of people who will determine whether or not the film will be a success or a failure. In a mellow-dramatic sort of way, itís them who will determine the future of the brand. They wonít really care if Trap-Jaw has blue skin. They just want a good night out at the cinema. Sony and Mattel are more than likely aware of this, especially Sony.

    I would actually love it if Trap-Jaw turned up with blue skin, a green face and a red helmet. Heís always been my favourite character. But I also wouldnít be refusing to watch the film if he didnít. And that sentiment goes for everything else. Thatís not to say I would feel okay if Trap-Jaw were to turn up with four arms, six legs and two heads. There are limits when it comes to redesigning thirty-year-old designs. Being respectful and adhering to the original design is a must, but the designers shouldnít feel obliged to remain exactly the same. I know that I would feel this way if I was on the design team.
    at this point we'd be lucky to even see trapjaw or any character as they should be. i liked the original motu movie, but they changed a few things the were key to all other versions of motu.really, we got beastman, well sort of, we evillynn and skeletor,as they should be, no orko manny and teela were somewhat the same, he-man was, aside from no adam changing(no complaints here made sense, randor wasnt king skeletor had taken over no need to hide he-mans identity, so i hope we get at least closer than that movie did!
    Last edited by kelddorr; November 21, 2010 at 11:35am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  17. #42
    CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    belfast northern ireland
    Posts
    5,512
    no thanks on bay and cameron can get lost otherwise we'll get a motu thats so up it'self it'll vanish and lets not forget the usual message of how all people on earth are basiclly evil
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •