Thread: Is He-man too "cheesy"?

Heroic Warrior

Is He-man too "cheesy"?

I think I may have done a thread similar too this I cannot remember called. Is he-man a cool 80s icon? I have forgotten. But when I look how other 80's cartoon franchises like Voltron, Ninja Turtles and GI Joe they seem in the mainstream media at least as I perceive it looked at retrospectively as cool and affection.

He-man seems to stuck with an image I hate as campy or "gay" plus in public minds a relic from the 80's which hasn't relevant in almost 30 years. Does anyone think MOTU can ever regain mainstream notability again. Does anyone think Mattel rely on toys too much to sustain the property. Look at Transformers since 2002 when He-man returned like TF. Its had 2 movies, several TV shows and an ongoing comic book series.

I would thought Mattel would using He-man for comics, video games at least but nothing but the toys.

Itd just how mattel operates sadly. all the other franchises you mentioned have parent companies that aren't afraid to stumble with the lines. Transformers has had severalless than stellar lines and shows but hasbros keeps pushing. cheesy is a matter of writing. Transformers Armada was cheesy as was the original turtles toon, he-man can be the coolest of them all in the right hands, or it can be terrible in the wrong hands. like any other property out there.

My favourite example is Batman. Long seen in the public eye as "gay" and cheesy due to the Adam West show, he has long since cast off that stigma (barring a few jokes now and again but that can be done with anything.) and he's the most badass superhero out there. so all it takes is the right vision past history doen'ts have to be a hindrence.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

No, He-Man is awesome. Please sleep comfortably and never ask this question again.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    My favourite example is Batman. Long seen in the public eye as "gay" and cheesy due to the Adam West show, he has long since cast off that stigma (barring a few jokes now and again but that can be done with anything.) and he's the most badass superhero out there. so all it takes is the right vision past history doen'ts have to be a hindrence.
    This is the best analogy I've read on the subject. It's entirely down to how it's realised.

No, I love the show and it teaches lessons that is missing from cartoons today cause kids need shows like this but Politics seem to always get in the way.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I don't think it's cheesy at all. He-Man could be the most awesome fantasy epic of all time if done correctly.

It has an incredible assortment of fantastic characters, a truly terrifying villain, and at it's heart is about the hero inside all of us.

I eagerly await the day when Prince Adam first raises the Sword of Power on the big screen and accepts his destiny as the most powerful man in the universe.

That will be a great day indeed!
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I don't think it's cheesy at all. He-Man could be the most awesome fantasy epic of all time if done correctly.

It has an incredible assortment of fantastic characters, a truly terrifying villain, and at it's heart is about the hero inside all of us.

I eagerly await the day when Prince Adam first raises the Sword of Power on the big screen and accepts his destiny as the most powerful man in the universe.

That will be a great day indeed!
    I agree with this post 100%. He-Man is no more cheesy than any of the other big 80s properties. Although, it may not be exactly the way you surmised.

He-Man will definitely need a LOT of work to be taken seriously again.
    I can actually see parallels between He-Man and Batman prior to the '89 movie.

The '66 Batman show was very popular and left a lasting impression on the general audience. Tim Burton discarded mostly everything about the old show to create the '89 movie. Despite this departure from the '66 show, the '89 movie became very popular in it's own right, redefining Batman's image in the minds of the general audience.

He-Man need the same thing now. The Filmation cartoon is the '66 show. But the time has come for He-Man to get his own equivalent '89 movie. A movie that will redefine He-Man's image in the minds of the general audience.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Echoing others, I think it is all about how he is handled.

I think the Filmation series and much of the later merchandise didn't do the franchise as a whole any favours (and I have much affection for Filmation); too over childish, too goody goody, and a little too squeaky clean.
    While I support their notion that they wanted to make a "non-violent" universe, they went a little overboard, making the franchise seem - dare I say it - almost babyish at times. It's sad to think they ended up at this compared to the dark, post-apocalyptic mythos that the line started with.

MOTU can be such an edgy, dark comic book world, but they really need to select how to go about it. That means, daring to go for some more edgy stories, selecting which characters to use (there are some characters, which I won't mention for fear of verging into a different debate) that should quietly be rested (note, they are not a-listers), and "the powers that be" should dare to concentrate on the more epic elements.

I mean, c'mon - a savage barbarian battling a living skull. In the right hands, it can be so cool!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I love the Batman comparison.
    But to bde honest; between Adam West and the '89 Keaton movie there was a comic line going on that was pretty grimm/ mature compared to the rest of DC, right?

I think that is what He-man needs. A graphic novel a la Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. That came out in 1986; 3 years before the movie.
    Or some other kind of media, dunno..

Just to set the tone a bit and let people forget the Filmation cheesyness.

The “cheese” factor is probably another reason why He-Man isn’t going to be running around three quarters naked throughout the entirety of the film. I think it’s an inevitability that when (yes, when ) the film gets made He-Man/Adam will be armoured somewhat. Maybe not all the way, but I bet there will be more armour on show than flesh. This will probably be the case with all the other characters, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    But to bde honest; between Adam West and the '89 Keaton movie there was a comic line going on that was pretty grimm/ mature compared to the rest of DC, right?

I think that is what He-man needs. A graphic novel a la Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. That came out in 1986; 3 years before the movie.

Oh yeah the 80's Batman comics rocked, loved them. Totally forgotten about them... gonna find me some on ebay
    And indeed, that would be awesome for He-Man...

I totally love it, but yes... I feel that HE-MAN is a bit cheezy. But in a way, that's the appeal of it.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    General Zod sez.......Why do you say that , when you know I shall kill you for it
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

I didn't count the Batman comics of the 70's and 80's, because they had little impact on the public perception of Batman, I think.
    And I just need to say it, I hate DKR. Miller ruined Batman, making him a psycho jerk. The only Miller Batman comic I like is Year One.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

every one has a point....i feel filmation was good on story telling, something until now mattel wasn't very good @....the stories filmation told where geared towards kids.Na he-man had a great concept but was not true to who the characters where. to much bad comedy you couldn't take it seriously once again great concept no pop and sizzle, just fizzle... mike young pro. delivered greatly because the stayed true to the characters... it was a reboot and a good story ...it also established the characters with dignity they made you care.. there was respect to the product.....wish it could have lasted longer ....like it has been said time and again... i feel there should be a new edgier he-man ...not to be totally savage ...but to expose why he is suppose to be great.... make me respect this character..... same as with skeletor ....why should i feel he is a giant threat to the universe..... and why is castle grayskull a store house of un imaginable power , energy ,great treasures, & the secrets of the universe.. why should these things be protected... it is all about great story telling and action a great amount of action.... that should be your basis of what the entire MOTU universe should be about and build from there ! Show me why He-Man is the most powerful super hero in the universe.... show me why skeletor is the most menacing overlord of evil .... w/ great power!! these are the basics.....

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    I didn't count the Batman comics of the 70's and 80's, because they had little impact on the public perception of Batman, I think.
    Exactly, sure the hardcore fans knew about the change in tone of Batman, but the general public onlt remembered the 60s tv show and the superfriends version of Batman.

We dont' have to go as far as Dark Knight Returns, (though I disagree that Miller made Bats a psycho in that, he seemed pretty on Character just a little more weathered and extreme in his mindset but it's a pov really) But it would be great to have a strong MOTU theme and tone laid out for mattel and licensors to follow that kind of reset the MOTU to go on.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Okay, LOL. No miller.

Was the Keaton movie PG13? I was 12 when it came out.
    So I guess it is also about who the movie is made for.
    Not for us, but 12 to 15 year old boys, right?
    Do you guys think they will have seen filmation or the movie?
    Maybe the 200X cartoon and that wasn't cheesy like filmation.

Heroic Warrior
    Okay, LOL. No miller.

Was the Keaton movie PG13? I was 12 when it came out.
    So I guess it is also about who the movie is made for.
    Not for us, but 12 to 15 year old boys, right?
    Do you guys think they will have seen filmation or the movie?
    Maybe the 200X cartoon and that wasn't cheesy like filmation.
    In this country, the Keaton Batman is what brought in the 12 certificate. Before that, we had PG, and 15, with nothing in between.

The story goes that because it was Batman, so was obviously aimed at kids, the BBFC brought in the new certificate as a middle ground. It was a big story at the time too. I remember it being in all the papers.

Great publicity of course too, because now all the under 12s wanted to watch it more to find out why. Genius really.

Same thing happened with Spiderman (I think it was) bringing in the 12A certificate only a few years ago, which means it's deemed to be suitable for 12 year olds, but children younger can watch when accompanied by an adult. So again, a compromise for the kids. this one's a more vague recollection from one news story, so might be a bit wide of the mark.

I've no doubt they were probably on the table to be brought in anyway and the "pressure from parents" from these films are really just the "official" reasons.

He-Man is not cheesy, if movie producers tone down some of the cartoonish effects aimed at younger audiences. This means making Orko not like Jar Jar Binks, not having talking animals, and having characters that are not too fantastical. Movies should always be more realistic than the cartoons they are from, unless the attempt is to be childlike or comic book-like.

The problem is movies with superhero types or fantastical types like He-Man are never made as the adult films they should be, save the Dark Knight (recent Batman films). Movie producers know toy/video game sales can generate more capital than a film, so they want the films for adults and children, rather than making a good action/fantasy/sci-fi. In doing so, they cannot make a series film for toning down some the scenes some children can see the film to generate toy and video game sales.

On the other hand, moviedom forgets numerous parents take their children to see films despite the MPAA rating, and, children will one be 17. At that point, re-release the film or make a sequel. Sometimes, children can really ruin adulthood.

Don't treat He-Man the same way Michael Bay treated Transformers, that's one way to avoid the stereotype of being "cheesy" and by extension, stupid.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    He-Man is not cheesy, if movie producers tone down some of the cartoonish effects aimed at younger audiences. This means making Orko not like Jar Jar Binks, not having talking animals, and having characters that are not too fantastical. Movies should always be more realistic than the cartoons they are from, unless the attempt is to be childlike or comic book-like.
    Don't forget if it's to be aimed at an adult audience we'll need to change all the names of the characters too. Any suggestions for the changes?