Thread: How much change would be acceptable?

How much change would be acceptable?

I have seen a number of threads on the forum about whether Battle Cat should talk, about whether He-Man should be Prince Adam or a barbarian, should He-man and Teela have a love interest and who knows what else. There is, not surprisingly, a great deal of loyalty to the Filmation presentation of these characters.

What I'd like to know is, how much of a change from Filmation can you tolerate? Would the movie have to be a carbon-copy of Filmation in a live-action format? Would the MYP version be about as much change as you could tolerate? Would you want it to be totally different? Nosy preachers want to know (not for any particular reason, but because we are nosy preachers.)
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Caarbon copy of filmation would be horrible. I can handle a lot of change so long as they maintain iconic elements and design styles. he-man shouldn't be wearing armour, or be skinny, skeletor has a skull face, it takes place one ternia which is a magical world in it's daily operation and design. these things should not be changed. take the elements that filmation introduced make the villains and heroes more kick ass, andwe're good i think
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

In short, I would be more than happy if the new film adhered to the spirit of the original He-Man cartoons and comics, yet isn’t afraid to go off in its own direction.

Cosmetic changes aren’t really that important, IMO, unless they’re unnecessarily extreme (“Hey, let’s scrap Battle-Cat and call him Battle-Rhino instead.”). Yeah, things like that are a big no-no. But I don’t mind characters looking a bit different here and there. For example, is it really essential that Trap-Jaw has a blue body and a green face? Sure, as a die-hard fan, it may be pleasing to the eye, but does it really have any bearing as to what a MOTU film should be? I think there are much worst changes they could make. I would be just as happy if Trap-Jaw had normal flesh-coloured skin and a grey helmet. As long as the spirit of the original character is intact, as well as a few nods and winks here and there, I’m easy on the looks of characters and locales. A few differences in the design of certain things may not actually be a bad thing, anyway.

The biggest changes will no doubt come in the form of the story itself. This is the thing that will no doubt divide the fanbase. Posting here for a while now, I’ve come to realise that there’s no consensus. No fan wants the same thing. We’ve all got different things that we want included in the film and things that we don’t want. But I think we all agree that there are a few things that the film must have, things that are just as fundamental to MOTU as Cybertron and Energon is to Transformers: Castle Grayskull and the power it houses, the sword of power, Snake Mountain, Eternia, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Beastman, Skeletor, Battle-Cat and so forth. As long as all these things are intact, as well as the characters, and they serve the same purpose to the story as they have always served (for example, not changing Grayskull into the base for the bad guys because it looks more “evil”), I’ll be happy.

Whether or not it will actually be a good film remains to be seen. And that's the thing. I have a hard time accepting when fans declare their intentions not to watch it because this or that isn’t the same as it was in the original cartoon or comics. Like that interview with the writer. You would have thought he said that they’re changing Skeletor into a woman for the sake of it. Changes have nothing in common with whether or not it will be a good or bad film. I think there are some who need to realise that. Some changes, for example, may actually make perfect sense in the context of the film as a whole. Myself, I will judge it as a sc-fi/fantasy film first and foremost, then as a MOTU film. I don’t think its fair for people to do it the other way round, but each to his or her own.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 19, 2010 at 06:54pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Judging by the responses among Transformers and GI Joe fans, pretty much ANY change, regardless the reason, will be decried and "ruin the franchise".
    I think any discussion on "how much" is moot as things will be changed and most fans will hate them anyway.

At the most basic level, both the GI Joe and Transformers films were adaptions of the original 80s vision with aesthetic changes to make them more palpatable to a modern audience. Considering both made money (yes, GI Joe did indeed make money), they were successful.

But many longtime fans still hate the live action interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Steve View Post
    At the most basic level, both the GI Joe and Transformers films were adaptions of the original 80s vision with aesthetic changes to make them more palpatable to a modern audience.
    This is true, and actually helps to make a very good point, a point that I and a select few others have been trying to hit home for a couple of years now. Like it or not, this is the way it will be. Iím actually of the opinion that the first Transformers film is a pretty good adaptation of the brand as a whole. It served as a good introduction to the characters and their world to people who didnít even know who Optimus Prime was.

The harsh reality is that these films arenít really aimed at the fans, because the makers of them know full well that the fans will have problems with the film no matter what happens. Plus, fans make up about 2% of the audience. The filmís success will rely upon people who donít know who Skeletor is. Still, it doesnít mean the fans canít find something in the film that speaks to them and makes them smile. Unless, of course, itís just a plain bad film.

But yes, I agree. To say "How much change is acceptable" is pretty ambiguous, because every fan has their own threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Steve View Post
    But many longtime fans still hate the live action interpretations.
    The term fan also when stepping back has too broad of a definition. I rarely consider myself someone I could use the term fan for as I see the word being a shortened version of fanatic. In that sense most fans don't take well to change. In the broader variations of like and love you will find 'fans' generally liked the movies. The problem of course is there is no defined word to accomodate those of us more in this category.

At the same time there is often the 'true fans' problem of they are more a fan of a particular incarnation of a brand. Facing facts both Transformers and GI Joe have had many incarnations over the years.

As far as how much change I accept, it boils down to this. Could you take several hundred people and put them in a room and compare the mini comics, the flimation series, the 200x series and comics, and even the first live action movie and find a general mythos to build off of? That is mostly what I look for, yes there were things I could do without from each (I like Adam but in a 2 hour movie he causes story problems).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

So long as it doesn't suck...

I know that's just a given. No one wants it to suck. But, everyone has a different idea of what they want in it and what should be left out, obviously. Okay, we definitely need Adam to change into He-Man. I feel we need Cringer and Battle-Cat, talking or not. The MYP version was great to me. I would be fine with a similar interpretation of that. It should have a realistic type of feel to it, but definitely keep the beasts and magic, etc. Ya know, sort of like Lord of the Rings, I guess. Have it dark, but don't completely omit the humor factor. This thing could be great, if they get someone with a passion for the franchise to direct. Maybe have a good 5-6 main guys for each side, similar to the cartoons, kind of like the X-Men movies. Then, have little cameos and whatnot for others. Hell, make this thing a trilogy, and focus on some new guys for each film, also similar to X-Men. I've been dying for the "right" movie my entire life. Quit toyin' with my emotions here!

It has been already stated by everyone who has posted before me,(with far more eloquence than what I will be able to manage) but here is what I think has to be in a Masters of the Universe movie.

• He-Man must be an actual character not just a name. (I think using two different actors for Prince Adam and He-Man is probably the best way to go to achieve this).

• He-Man must be a buff actor (We don't need someone pumped up on steroids, but he hast to at least have a muscular build).

• He-Man must also wield a sword (As others have mentioned it is just to iconic to leave out).

• Battle Cat must be in the move ( Visual effects have come to far to not be able to realize him on film. I'd love to see Cringer too but I can live without him if I have to. I'll be fine with him talking or not talking).

• Skeletor can not just be wearing a mask and I mean that in the context of the movie. (I don't want a Scooby-Doo moment where He-Man rips off Skeletor's skull mask to discover that it was Keldor all along).

• Panthor must also be in the movie (Come on Battle Cat needs an awesome fight scene too).

• I also don't like the idea of technology being good and magic being bad (On a world where both magic and technology exist simultaneously, no force good or evil should exclusivity control one or the other. To say nothing of how important magic is to the films hero).

• Obviously Characters like Man-At-Arms, Teela, Sorceress, King Randor and Queen Marlena. Need to be in the film (Other Heroic would be welcome of course. I'd personally love to see Fisto and Clamp Champ).

• As far as the villains go I think Evil-Lyn, Beast Man Trap-Jaw, and Tri-Klops are must haves (More Evil Warriors wold also be great, like Jitsu, Ninjor, Mer-Man and I'd even be willing to see Blade).

• The movie must also take place only on Eternia.

As for A He-Man/Teela romance, well I guess that depends on how the Prince Adam/Teela relationship is played. I'd be O.K. with it but only as a sup-plot.
    Also even though hearing the interview with the writer has be somewhat scared, I will go see this movie when it comes out and not be determined to hate it when I do. I will give the movie a fair chance.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

As much change as it takes to make the characters and the plot to NOT SUCK, while still retaining recognizable characters with charm.

The best example I can make is Mer-Man. I would love to see him in the new movie. He wouldn't even need to have a line. No bad aquatic jokes, funny gurgling noises, or lines about being related to some fish in a jar. He can emerge from a swamp, attack a bunch of good guys, kick some ass, cause some deaths and appear later in the movie to be trounced by He-Man. Clawful would be the same. No blank faced, head scratching, daa-dee-duummm umm-dee-daa Three Stooges BS.

Make them beastial, cold, slippery, powerful, awesome enforcers of Skeletors will. When children, teens and adults alike leave this movie they should be thinking "Wow, I want to be an 8 foot crabman with a giant claw to crush armor! How did He-Man beat him!? That was awesome!!!" not "Silly red man dumb. Funny. He make sound go poop! All wet! Ice cream now mommy!!! Poop funny!"
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 27, 2010 at 12:56am.

Story-wise, I like the canon of the new Classics line, I think they've explained and re-introduced things in an updated, satisfying manner.

As far as how everything looks, I think a pretty solid art deparment will be needed to portray a realistic version of Eternia and the ways the characters look and dress.

I can't help but think it would just be really cool to see He-Man on the big screen the way that we recognize him most. I believe they can pull it off, but I think it should be a serious world the characters live in.

Blue skin has been made realistic in other films.

But they want a much larger audience. If they think they'll make more money with everyone looking like something out of Hellraiser, they'll do it.

I love hearing everyone's ideas on what would be cool in this movie, but it will be made to sell toys. If they want a new generation of He-Man fans, that's fine, absolutely, but whatever they design will ultimately STILL be sold as a toy. So that may be a good sign for fans of a classic He-Man look.

I'm Right, You're Wrong Sword of Grayskull's Avatar
    I can handle some level of change, but I don't want things to be unrecognizable.

I would be perfectly OK with Adam's transition into He-Man being a permanent, irreversible change. The minute he raises the sword and says "By the Power of Grayskull," there's no turning back. He's He-Man for the rest of his life and everyone knows it. In fact, I think it would kick the doors open for a lot of great story possibilities of how Adam struggles to adjust to the powerhouse he's become and how people view him more and more as He-Man, the hero of prophecy and myth, rather than as Prince Adam. You could get a lot of story mileage out of Adam being afraid that he's being lost in the shadow of the legend he's become. (And with this, you could cast a tall, fit, good-looking actor in the part and simply have the power of Grayskull manifest itself in his costume and superpowers, as Filmation did.)

Losing Orko entirely, or revamping him into a Merlin/Dumbledore type, would be ideal for me.

Randor could be killed off as he was in the Marks script or left alive. Either way, it doesn't matter to me.

They could amend Adora's name to Isadora and I'd be fine with it. (It'd probably flow better with Randor, Marlena, and Adam's names that way.)

I'd be fine and dandy with Adam's He-Man costume being the Battle Armor suit instead of the old baldric. But no more than that. An armored tunic is plenty for him.

The design of He-Man's sword? Honestly, we've seen so many different takes on it that my only caveats are (a) it look good and (b) it be feasible as a functional weapon. Real, historical broadswords weighed about 3-6 pounds at most (anyone involved in swordsmithing and medieval reenactment will confirm that), so anything a live-action He-Man uses should be in that range. Design-wise, I'm open to most anything.

I'm OK with character redesigns across the board so long as they still look like their familiar selves. The NA and 1987 movie versions went way too far from the originals, and I'd rather not go back there again.

I can take or leave talking animals. It's not a dealbreaker for me.

The heroes -- He-Man in particular -- should show mercy to the enemy when appropriate, and use lethal force when appropriate. They only kill when they absolutely have to, and always in self-defense. The villains? Unrepentant mass murderers all the way, and a clear and present danger to the heroes from the start.

As far as how powerful He-Man is...he shouldn't be invincible. At all. And he should not be more powerful than Skeletor. You can be the "most powerful man in the universe" and still be in horrible danger when fighting demons, cyborgs, beasts, and things far from human. And Skeletor being more demon than man should prove a major risk to He-Man. If there's no danger that He-Man could die at Skeletor's hands, there wouldn't be a story, much less a movie.

So yeah, I can accept a fair amount of change, so long as it doesn't throw away the basics.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of fanboys in any size group.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword of Grayskull View Post
    I can handle some level of change, but I don't want things to be unrecognizable.

I would be perfectly OK with Adam's transition into He-Man being a permanent, irreversible change. The minute he raises the sword and says "By the Power of Grayskull," there's no turning back. He's He-Man for the rest of his life and everyone knows it. In fact, I think it would kick the doors open for a lot of great story possibilities of how Adam struggles to adjust to the powerhouse he's become and how people view him more and more as He-Man, the hero of prophecy and myth, rather than as Prince Adam. You could get a lot of story mileage out of Adam being afraid that he's being lost in the shadow of the legend he's become. (And with this, you could cast a tall, fit, good-looking actor in the part and simply have the power of Grayskull manifest itself in his costume and superpowers, as Filmation did.)

Losing Orko entirely, or revamping him into a Merlin/Dumbledore type, would be ideal for me.

Randor could be killed off as he was in the Marks script or left alive. Either way, it doesn't matter to me.

They could amend Adora's name to Isadora and I'd be fine with it. (It'd probably flow better with Randor, Marlena, and Adam's names that way.)

I'd be fine and dandy with Adam's He-Man costume being the Battle Armor suit instead of the old baldric. But no more than that. An armored tunic is plenty for him.

The design of He-Man's sword? Honestly, we've seen so many different takes on it that my only caveats are (a) it look good and (b) it be feasible as a functional weapon. Real, historical broadswords weighed about 3-6 pounds at most (anyone involved in swordsmithing and medieval reenactment will confirm that), so anything a live-action He-Man uses should be in that range. Design-wise, I'm open to most anything.

I'm OK with character redesigns across the board so long as they still look like their familiar selves. The NA and 1987 movie versions went way too far from the originals, and I'd rather not go back there again.

I can take or leave talking animals. It's not a dealbreaker for me.

The heroes -- He-Man in particular -- should show mercy to the enemy when appropriate, and use lethal force when appropriate. They only kill when they absolutely have to, and always in self-defense. The villains? Unrepentant mass murderers all the way, and a clear and present danger to the heroes from the start.

As far as how powerful He-Man is...he shouldn't be invincible. At all. And he should not be more powerful than Skeletor. You can be the "most powerful man in the universe" and still be in horrible danger when fighting demons, cyborgs, beasts, and things far from human. And Skeletor being more demon than man should prove a major risk to He-Man. If there's no danger that He-Man could die at Skeletor's hands, there wouldn't be a story, much less a movie.

So yeah, I can accept a fair amount of change, so long as it doesn't throw away the basics.
    I could deal with most of that as well. I really like your ideas. Though I feel that with all the changes we as fans are willing to accept. I think the power sword should be recognizable. I would prefer to see the sword design from the MOTU classics line.

Widget
    First off let me say that I love MOTU and would pay to go see and support the movie no matter what.

However, I did read the script that was leaked online, and I was extremely disappointed in the drastic changes that were made, along with the overall tone of the story.

One character personality I feel very strongly about is Prince Adam's. He is a reluctant hero, but NOT a brooding hero. This is not Batman, and it is certainly not Twilight. I find it an insult to the character to mold his personality into what today's teenyboppers think is "cool".

I am ok with certain changes that could be made to the supporting cast. Fisto and Zodak both got treated to a change in the 2000-era renovation that I felt was actually an improvement of their previous characters. Changes to the major players I would have a more difficult time accepting.

The script I read was too dark and humorless for MOTU. Don't make this movie into "300". The website that reviewed the script praised it for being at the level of an "R-rated" movie. That is an absolute joke. With an R-rating you wipe out a portion of your potential audience. MOTU is not now, nor should it ever be "R-rated material". I'd be less disgusted if they turned it into a G-rated camp-fest. Aim for PG or PG-13.

Quote Originally Posted by HordePrime#1 View Post
    First off let me say that I love MOTU and would pay to go see and support the movie no matter what.

However, I did read the script that was leaked online, and I was extremely disappointed in the drastic changes that were made, along with the overall tone of the story.

One character personality I feel very strongly about is Prince Adam's. He is a reluctant hero, but NOT a brooding hero. This is not Batman, and it is certainly not Twilight. I find it an insult to the character to mold his personality into what today's teenyboppers think is "cool".

I am ok with certain changes that could be made to the supporting cast. Fisto and Zodak both got treated to a change in the 2000-era renovation that I felt was actually an improvement of their previous characters. Changes to the major players I would have a more difficult time accepting.

The script I read was too dark and humorless for MOTU. Don't make this movie into "300". The website that reviewed the script praised it for being at the level of an "R-rated" movie. That is an absolute joke. With an R-rating you wipe out a portion of your potential audience. MOTU is not now, nor should it ever be "R-rated material". I'd be less disgusted if they turned it into a G-rated camp-fest. Aim for PG or PG-13.
    The script you are referring to was written by Justin Marks whilst Warner Bros held the rights. This is no longer the case. Sony now has the rights and the script is being written from scratch. Itís being written by the same duo who wrote Predators. So that script which you read (Iíve also read it) is no longer being used. As for the new script, no one actually knows anything about it yet. Hope this helps.

I'm fine with change because things will change. No escaping that.

But I do want characters that resemble the characters we know. And I dont want a sucky movie like teh disaster of the 80s
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The script you are referring to was written by Justin Marks whilst Warner Bros held the rights. This is no longer the case. Sony now has the rights and the script is being written from scratch. Itís being written by the same duo who wrote Predators. So that script which you read (Iíve also read it) is no longer being used. As for the new script, no one actually knows anything about it yet. Hope this helps.
    I'm glad to hear that the script that was leaked is no longer being used. While on one hand I do appreciate any effort to bring MOTU to the big screen, I do hope the characters we know and love get treated with the respect they deserve.

Thanks for the info!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    What I'd like to know is, how much of a change from Filmation can you tolerate?
    A whole lot actually! Really the only thing I'd absolutely want them to take from the Filmation version is the design of the Sorceress, because I just think she's the best Sorceress ever. Otherwise Filmation is more of a nostalgia thing to me, and I'm open to change.

I think that in terms of movie potential the early minicomics would be a better source of inspiration. I could even see the film working without the transformation and secret identity if they handled it well enough. However, if they do make the transformation sequence, they could do worse than copy the Filmation version. In terms of Adam on the other hand, I'd prefer them to go with something closer to the MYP one.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Heroic Warrior
    Adam equals Bruce Wayne......theyre both viewed as lazy playboys
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

I'd want a Live Action version of the 80's cartoon, but only in character look and description.

I would want them to have the personalities of the MYP cartoon.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the amount of change used in the original movie is a good start.

What I liked about it was that, back then being a kid, I was a real Filmation purist. I used to get out my brothers model paints and repaint all my figures, sand bits down (like the little squares on He-man's armour, for example), and made a real hash of most of it. Ruined most of them truth be told. But they looked more like the cartoon, and so loved them a lot more than the original figures.

The only thing I loved more than the Filmation cartoon was the movie when it came out, and the reason it superseded the cartoon where no other rendition of He-man had come close is because the characters were both instantly recognisable in their environment, and they looked real.

If they can find that mix again, chuck in some modern SFX to bring us the favourites like Orko and Battlecat that they (quite rightly) left out of the original movie, I think they'll be onto a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    As much change as it takes to make the characters and the plot to NOT SUCK, while still retaining recognizable characters with charm.

The best example I can make is Mer-Man. I would love to see him in the new movie. He wouldn't even need to have a line. No bad aquatic jokes, funny gurgling noises, or lines about being related to some fish in a jar. He can emerge from a swamp, attack a bunch of good guys, kick some ass, cause some deaths and appear later in the movie to be trounced by He-Man. Clawful would be the same. No blank faced, head scratching, daa-dee-duummm umm-dee-daa Three Stooges BS.

Make them beastial, cold, slippery, powerful, awesome enforcers of Skeletors will. When children, teens and adults alike leave this movie they should be thinking "Wow, I want to be an 8 foot crabman with a giant claw to crush armor! How did He-Man beat him!? That was awesome!!!" not "Silly red man dumb. Funny. He make sound go poop! All wet! Ice cream now mommy!!! Poop funny!"
    He make sound go poop?! All wet?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

That would be sweet. I'm down with that.
    Last edited by Chaosblue; January 21, 2011 at 10:48am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I have seen a number of threads on the forum about whether Battle Cat should talk, about whether He-Man should be Prince Adam or a barbarian, should He-man and Teela have a love interest and who knows what else. There is, not surprisingly, a great deal of loyalty to the Filmation presentation of these characters.

What I'd like to know is, how much of a change from Filmation can you tolerate? Would the movie have to be a carbon-copy of Filmation in a live-action format? Would the MYP version be about as much change as you could tolerate? Would you want it to be totally different? Nosy preachers want to know (not for any particular reason, but because we are nosy preachers.)
    Well, I can't speak for all fans, or even all Filmation fans, but this is how I feel about it, and I *think* that this (or something roughly similar to this) is how most of the pro-Filmation fans feel about it....

I would like Filmation to the main influence in terms of the main characters that are featured, the relationship between the characters, etc.

For instance, I very much want there to be Prince Adam transforming into He-Man. I want Man-At-Arms to kind of be this father-figure to Adam/He-Man who he can confide in regarding his secret. I want the basic elements of the primary characters to be rooted in their Filmation incarnations, which is the most well recognized and remembered version of them.

That being said, when I say that I want this to be based more on Filmation, there are still aspects that I don't want included. I.e. I want Skeletor to actually be a cunning villain. Yes, I would like him (physically) to look like the character that we know, and I would like him to roughly sound like he did in the Filmation cartoon (or even the MYP cartoon, which was a close approximation). But I do want him to be more cunning... more of a threat. I do want him and He-Man to have actual battles and fights. I don't want 99% of the "action" to involve non-fighting, and for any punches that are thrown to be implied (i.e. He-man punching towards the screen and then suddenly in the next shot, someone goes flying, but we never see the actual connection between the two). I do want the events that occur to have an actual effect on the characters and the plot (and any possible sequels, if any were to happen). I don't just want things to go back to "status quo" at the end of the movie like they typically did at the end of each Filmation episode.

I don't want the full-fledged "campiness" to carry over to a movie. I wouldn't mind some comic relief, but within reason. I would like to see Orko in the movie, and have him be somewhat funny, but I'd also like him to be more compitent than he is often shown on the shows.

Whenever people who fall more on that anti-Filmation side of things (or at least prefer some other canon/incarnation) hear someone else say that they want the movie based more around the Filmation cartoon, I think they automatically lock into the worst aspects of the show (the campiness, lack of actualy battles/violence), and assume that this is what people are asking for. And I don't think that's the case at all.

It's just that as a Filmation fan, I really don't want to see the Green Goddess instead of the Sorceress.... I want Adam to transform into He-Man (so in other words I don't want He-Man to just be He-Man all of the time.. I want the secret identity intact.... and I don't want him to just be Adam wearing a "techno vest" or some B.S. like that).

Now, this doesn't mean that elements from other incarnations can't be included. In fact, I would almost actually prefer if there was more of a difference between Adam and He-Man (ala MYP) than there was in Filmation (in which they looked the same and he just had a tan and different clothes as He-Man).

I wouldn't mind the element of Orko's wand being carried over from MYP. I like the idea that when he has his wand, he is a great wizard/magician, but that his powers are very limited without it. Frankly this would be a great way to start him out as comic relief, but then let him reaquire his wand and then have him actually be a force to be reconned with.

I would prefer Battle Cat to talk (if done well), but that's not a deal breaker for me one way or the other.

In fact, MYP/200X in many ways carried over a lot of the basic elements from Filmation. There's still a few things that (IMO) they didn't quite get right, and I think some of the "heart" of the Filmation show was lost in the translation (and I would like that "heart" to carry over to a movie), but in many ways I just want those basic elements in a movie.

The thing that Filmation had going for it that other incarnations (notably MYP/200X) was this sense of mystery about not only Castle Grayskull, but Eternia as a whole. There was something familiar, yet 'alien' about it. They would show forests and trees, etc, in Filmation for example, and there were familiar in the sense that they were trees and we recognized them as such, yet they were drawn in kind of this creepy, mysterious way that looked unlike anything we typically have here on Earth. There was just this sense of being in a different, unfamiliar, mysterious place that wasn't entirely different from our own, but still different enough. MYP often just seemed like it was taking place on a slightly different version of earth. Everything (as far as terrain, etc) seemed very 'generic' and like a carbon copy of our own planet.

I guess it's like this. I am roughly on the younger end of the MOTU fan spectrum. I was born in early 1980, so I was 3 when the cartoon started up, and 5 when SOTS and She-Ra came out. While the Filmation cartoon is very campy and silly through the eyes of an adult, at that age, it was very "bad-ass" from my perspective and the perspective of many other kids who liked the cartoon. And even though is was silly and any violence was minimal, avoided, or otherwise barely implied, we kind of 'filled in the blanks' in our mind. To us, He-Man and Skeletor were fighting (and when playing with our toys, and roughly recreating the show in our play, we would have He-Man and Skeletor fight, and in our minds, this was fairly accurate).

I realize that some things will change, and that is fine within reason. But I do think that FAR too often, Hollywood in general tends to take the assumption that comics and cartoons will not translate well into a live action movie without a bunch of change, and tends to go way too far with it. They basically reinvent the wheel where a few tweaks would have been more than sufficient.

I'd be happy with a movie that was based on Filmation, MYP or even the Minicomics but after seeing the original from 1987 and the G.I.Joe and Transformers movies I can confidently say that it probably won't happen without a few tweaks.

I think the best we can hope for is something like Conan the Barbarian, Beastmaster and some aspects of the great Ray Harryhausen movies like Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans.

They seem to only use only 4 to 6 main characters on both sides so unfortunately someone is going to get left out. I'm looking in the direction of Mekanek, Man-E-Faces and Mer-Man off the top of my head.

At this point it really doesn't matter. My idea of MOTU won't be changed by a movie no matter how close it is to my interpretation.