View Poll Results: How do you pronounce "Zoar"?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zo-Arr like Filmation

125 52.97%
  • Soar with a "Z" like Pixel Dan

107 45.34%
  • Something else (explain below)

3 1.27%
  • Who's Zoar?

1 0.42%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Zoar" - How do you pronounce it?

Zo-Arr for me.
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Attak Trak, Masks of Power Demons, Alcala-Style Figures

Powerful Amongst Women¡¡¡ she-manmasters's Avatar
    Oakland Park, Florida-USA Dual English-Spanish Latin América Tribal Division(Missing Located Pittsburgh, Pa/Los Angeles, California)
    I know from the cartoon it sounds like ZoAr
    Aquarius Birthday Numerology 2 HIGH PRIESTESS/PRIESTESS 3 EMPRESS/QUEEN SHE-MAN Powerful Amongst Women Air/Universe SHE-BABY LATINA AMERICANA INDIA Queen Of Power Symbols Wise Shield Of Protection Power Rod Of Protection
    He-Man Masters of the Universe Classics Princess of Power She-Ra Bow
    http://mastersoftheuniverseclassicsh...assics-images/

It's funny my mom came over to visit last week and she asked to see what I was working on, and I showed he my customs website. She saw the word Zoar are just happened to read it aloud, and she pronounced it as "Zo-Arr". I was surprised and thought of this thread immediately. So I asked her, why "Zoe-Arr", and not "Zore, like Soar with a Z". She is an English major, she gave me some long explanation, that made me wish that I didn't ask. But I still call the bird Zore, I don't care I've called it that for 30 plus years.

It's sort'a like the debate on how to pronounce "gif as in animated gifs. Believe it or not it's pronounced like Jif peanut butter, but I still call it Gif as in gift (or as in the word Graphics Interchange Format)

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    So I asked her, why "Zoe-Arr", and not "Zore, like Soar with a Z". She is an English major, she gave me some long explanation, that made me wish that I didn't ask.
    It would be very interesting if you shared with us her technical explanation for the pronunciation choice. I know "Zoar" is supposed to be a wordplay on "soar"; but there's something that I can't precisely pinpoint down that makes the "zore" pronunciation seem unlikely while the "zoe-arr" one seems more natural/likely, and I'm pretty sure her explanation would help clarify the reason behind this "can't-tell-why-but" intuition.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Always pronounced it as like soar.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Zo-Arr, I always figured Filmation was an official cartoon so they would know how the name is supposed to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeofEternia View Post
    Zo-Arr, I always figured Filmation was an official cartoon so they would know how the name is supposed to be said.
    The same cartoon has some of the characters pronouncing the word robot as "ro-but". I always thought that was funny.

Jetlag's New Adventures cartoon made a similar questionable choice with the hero Sagitar. I always thought that since he was a centaur his name was short for Sagittarius. It was odd to hear them say his name with a hard G sound instead of a J.

Even official sources can make mistakes.

Heroic Warrior
    Zo-ar ........

Zoar are in Soar.

Pretty sure the Filmation version was a flub. For instance, "Zoar" ala "Soar" is heard twice in this commercial:

Heroic Warrior
    Reading it you'd say Zoar like soar . But the cartoon they say zo-are. So not really sure how to say it. I think we should just stick to the cartoon..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The same cartoon has some of the characters pronouncing the word robot as "ro-but". I always thought that was funny.

Jetlag's New Adventures cartoon made a similar questionable choice with the hero Sagitar. I always thought that since he was a centaur his name was short for Sagittarius. It was odd to hear them say his name with a hard G sound instead of a J.

Even official sources can make mistakes.
    They called him sag guitar? That's ridiculous. It's evident his name derives Strictly from how you explained it. And when I read it I say sagitar like Sagittarius. Like the best zodiac sign of the 12 signs. The legend.. the best.. OK I'll stop.. but you know, number 1.. anyway..

Heroic Warrior
    It's SPELLED Z-O-A-R but it's actually pronounced "ThroatWarbler Mangrove".

Snake Men Enthusiast QueenQuetzale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    They called him sag guitar? That's ridiculous. It's evident his name derives Strictly from how you explained it. And when I read it I say sagitar like Sagittarius.
    I'm constantly scratching my head at that pronunciation as well.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    MYP Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: MYP Skeletor, MYP Kobra Khan, Enchantress

Quote Originally Posted by woozlindemon View Post
    It's SPELLED Z-O-A-R but it's actually pronounced "ThroatWarbler Mangrove".
    This is the best!!!!!

When I listen to the Filmation characters say it, it still sounds like a one syllable word to me, just with more emphasis on the R sound. There is no clear break bewtween the long O and the A sounds, which would be suggested by the hyphen in ZO-ARR. Can anyone give episodes and time stamps for more examples of characters saying Zoar?

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Pixel Dan was the first person I've ever heard pronounce it as Zore. From childhood, I've always called him Zo-ar. And for me that didn't come from Filmation, I didn't even have much exposure to the cartoon til I was older. I just always read it as Zo-ar in the comics, and other media. It never really occurred to me that it COULD be pronounced a different way.
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

I cannot fathom (other than the Filmation flub) why this would be pronounced differently than soar/boar/oar, and I was an English major (who
    now teaches English!). Interestingly, my team attended a training on dyslexia yesterday, and this vowel pairing (oa) was discussed (among others).
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy