Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 128

Thread: He-Man's Costume in a Live Action Movie

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior dagodfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    515

    He-Man's Costume in a Live Action Movie

    So after viewing the MOTU Artbook, there are a few concept sketches of live action He-Man. The underlying idea was, He-Man in full armor. He basically looked like a knight but without a helmet. The only thing recognizable as He-Man was the cross symbol on his chest. I'm wondering if this is the direction Mattel wants to go with the movie. I personally hope not. What are folks thoughts on this? I can post scans if someone wants and its allowed.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior King Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,252
    My hope is that is the route Justin Marks and whoever the director in that aborted version were going, meaning those designs are essentially clean slated now.

  3. #3
    Mix 'n' Match Monger wallbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    My hope is that is the route Justin Marks and whoever the director in that aborted version were going, meaning those designs are essentially clean slated now.
    Hopefully they've also abandoned the high tech katana Power Sword idea as well.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by dagodfather View Post
    So after viewing the MOTU Artbook, there are a few concept sketches of live action He-Man. The underlying idea was, He-Man in full armor. He basically looked like a knight but without a helmet. The only thing recognizable as He-Man was the cross symbol on his chest. I'm wondering if this is the direction Mattel wants to go with the movie. I personally hope not. What are folks thoughts on this? I can post scans if someone wants and its allowed.
    yes please post the concept pic. hopefully they use the same costume used in the 200x series, but with the original cross symbol. THE ORIGINAL POWER SWORD PLEASE!!!!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior King Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,252
    Not sure, but i think mattel asked that pictures from that book specifically not be posted.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    Not sure, but i think mattel asked that pictures from that book specifically not be posted.
    How about the link to the book?

  7. #7
    Loves/Hates ♠ DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,478
    Hopefully they 'll stay close to the standard He-Man look.
    200X Harness with Classic Cross, the Sword holder from 200X Battle Sound He-Man and maybe some leather pants (I'd rather have him without pants; but watchdog groups would want to protect our children from manly legs. I'm willing to let the pants slide slide as long as everything else looks like pure unadulterated He-Man.) The only time I want to see He-Man in armor is when he gets the BA Upgrade.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Hopefully they 'll stay close to the standard He-Man look.
    200X Harness with Classic Cross, the Sword holder from 200X Battle Sound He-Man and maybe some leather pants (I'd rather have him without pants; but watchdog groups would want to protect our children from manly legs. I'm willing to let the pants slide slide as long as everything else looks like pure unadulterated He-Man.) The only time I want to see He-Man in armor is when he gets the BA Upgrade.
    You may find they go the other way around. It's difficult to make a harness like He-man's look anything other than pantomime on a real person, but with the history of Roman style armour, particularly in movies (most recently Clash of the Titans, for example) if they do decide to show some skin, they may design the costume to have an armoured torso and bare appendages similar to Battle Armour He-Man.

    Although it would be almost impossible to give the movie a serious tone, it would be one way to find the happy medium, at least costume wise.

  9. #9
    Loves/Hates ♠ DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,478
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    You may find they go the other way around. It's difficult to make a harness like He-man's look anything other than pantomime on a real person, but with the history of Roman style armour, particularly in movies (most recently Clash of the Titans, for example) if they do decide to show some skin, they may design the costume to have an armoured torso and bare appendages similar to Battle Armour He-Man.

    Although it would be almost impossible to give the movie a serious tone, it would be one way to find the happy medium, at least costume wise.
    the age of the shirtless barbarian in movies is long gone. I COULD live with the armored torso if He-Man still has the harness over the armor. Brownish armor and grey harness would be better. I don't want to lose the harness because it's his trademark look. (He-Man can't look like a generic Perseus wannabe.) The only problem that I have with the armored Torso is that it'll diminish the Battle Armor's importance. (my 2nd favoprite He-Variant) One thing is certain I don't want any capes on He-Man.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    the age of the shirtless barbarian in movies is long gone.
    I agree, and I think this will be the biggest stumbling block for them. Mobeus and Stout (combined) did a fantastic job of bringing legitimacy to He-Man's get-up in the 80s, but the key word there is "80s". It's going to be very difficult to not only redesign the attire to look genuine, but to look that way for the "now" as opposed to the "then".

  11. #11
    Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    You may find they go the other way around. It's difficult to make a harness like He-man's look anything other than pantomime on a real person,

    Why is that?? The harness in the Dolph Lundgren film was passable and probably the closest it could come to the He-Man harness at that time.

    Nowadays with the kinds of costume designers out there, I'd bet a live action version could look good if constructed of the right materials. You're probably thinking of how funny looking He-cosplayers look with their harnesses made from felt and cloth and how those kinds don't fit just right to the wearer.

    If the people making a new MOTU film are taking the entire project seriously, they COULD make a believable harness. It would most likely be tailored to fit the actor that would be playing He-Man. But, if the new costume looks NOTHING like any of the He-Man uniforms over the years I'd rather there not be a movie since it wouldn't be He-Man. The same with messing with the sword. I like katanas just fine but He-Man's Sword of Power ISN'T a katana. In all of it's incarnations it has been a broad sword and should stay a broad sword. What was Marks smoking when he came up with such a radical redesign??

    Why must things keep being changed for the sake of a new audience?? What new audience actually?? If anyone is going to go see an MOTU film it will be MOTU fans first and foremost.
    (Hordak Alpha))

    BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Why is that?? The harness in the Dolph Lundgren film was passable and probably the closest it could come to the He-Man harness at that time.
    I agree, as detailed in my above post.

    On a side note, I've not actually seen any cos-players (I assume "Cos-play" is something to do with adults dressing up?) dressed as He-Man, unless the vid of the gay dancer counts, but I think that was for an aerobics competition so probably doesn't.

    Sounds hilarious though, do you have any pics?
    Last edited by fantombe; May 26, 2010 at 11:34am.

  13. #13
    Outlaw Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    6,247
    Actually, it is somewhat difficult to find someone who looks good in He-Man's costume. It is even more difficult to find someone who looks good in it, is a decent actor, and most importanly actually wants to wear it.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

    "All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    4,102
    I think they will and should give He-Man armour in the film. As was said above, the body-building craze was big in the 80s. Itís gone now. I remember back in the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s you used to see a lot of body builders and wrestlers in films. Not so much now. I think studios now want people to take their films more seriously. At least mainstream films.

    Iíve seen some of the art book, like on Pixel Danís review. I think some of the armour designs for He-Man were quite good. I especially liked that bluish one with the red cross in the centre of the chest. There were also some other designs that invoked feelings of Snake Armour He-Man from the MYP series.

    So yeah, Iím all for a suited out He-Man in the new film. As well as all the other characters.

  15. #15
    Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post

    Sounds hilarious though, do you have any pics?















    They are ALL over Google. Honestly, none of the He-Man cosplays look any good, but plenty female fans have managed to look great in She-Ra, Teela costumes as well as costumes of the other ladies. I've also seen plenty of cosplays right on this site of Webstor and other baddies that look pretty cool.

    Like, for instance, this really cool Trapjaw cosplay:

    (Hordak Alpha))

    BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Sky Breaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,101
    Personally I'm hoping for something similar to the 1980s movie costume, but with some updates.

    There is no way the Filmation look will transfer well to the big screen. The MYP look, while vastly superior in style, is still the same basic barbarian concept. Would Wolverine have been the same in yellow (even though for many fans it was his most recognizable and preferred comic costume) spandex? I think not. I've always felt that the mid 90s Cyclops was one of the sexiest superhero costumes ever. On screen, he would have looked like a big blue turd.

    Its funny how Spider-Man and Superman's costumes had subtle changes (most just color muting and fabric), and we accepted them for what they are, and they worked well, and yet, other characters have to receive drastic overhauls to be taken even remotely seriously. I truly believe that for this movie to work, we'll have to see a little more in the way of skin coverage and science, and a little less Conan, animal furs and wrapped boots... but no glowing katana sword. That is horribly wrong.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; May 28, 2010 at 04:05am.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    They are ALL over Google. Honestly, none of the He-Man cosplays look any good, but plenty female fans have managed to look great in She-Ra, Teela costumes as well as costumes of the other ladies. I've also seen plenty of cosplays right on this site of Webstor and other baddies that look pretty cool.

    Like, for instance, this really cool Trapjaw cosplay:
    That's absolutely brilliant, they are hilarious! I particularly love fat-Trap-Jaw. It's even funnier when they take it so seriously, but underneath it all, it's a fat bloke covered in rubber.

    You've just made my day.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior torbjorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    238
    I really love this painting as a concept for a motu movie.

    With some development this could work as costumes. And the charaters look awesome in my opinion.
    Love the hair on skeletor...gives him that indication that he once was Keldor.
    http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content...universe-3.jpg
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Personally I'm hoping for something similar to the 1980s movie costume, but with some updates.
    I agree, Overall I did like that look, minus the cape, although the cape
    did give it much of a regal look.

    There is no way the Filmation look will transfer well to the big screen. The MYP look, while vastly superior in style, is still the same basic barbarian concept. Would Wolverine have been the same in yellow (even though for many fans it was his most recognizable and preferred comic costume) spandex? I think not. I've always felt that the mid 90s Cyclops was one of the sexiest superhero costumes ever. On screen, he would have looked like a big blue turd.

    Its funny how Spider-Man and Superman's costumes had subtle changes (most just color muting and fabric), and we accepted them for what they are, and they worked well, and yet, other characters have to receive drastic overhauls to be taken even remotely seriously.
    My sentiments exactly, imo I believe that the X-Men series
    to date, has the least creativity when it comes to translating comic
    costumes which when you look at how many costume changes the
    X-Men characters have gone through over the past few decades, it
    makes the film series inexcusable and by far lazy. I mean no one
    is expecting yellow spandex, but one can be alittle more creative
    than black leather and street clothes.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior King Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by torbjorge View Post
    I really love this painting as a concept for a motu movie.

    With some development this could work as costumes. And the charaters look awesome in my opinion.
    Love the hair on skeletor...gives him that indication that he once was Keldor.
    http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content...universe-3.jpg
    I don't really like the Evil Warriors in it, but i think He-Man, Teela, and Grayskull look great for a live action film (i particularly dislike Skeletor's look, but i particularly like the chrome added in on He-man)

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior torbjorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    I don't really like the Evil Warriors in it, but i think He-Man, Teela, and Grayskull look great for a live action film (i particularly dislike Skeletor's look, but i particularly like the chrome added in on He-man)
    Skeletor is the one I like the best in the painting!.
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

  22. #22
    Heroic Opera Diva sweetbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Personally I'm hoping for something similar to the 1980s movie costume, but with some updates.


    Its funny how Spider-Man and Superman's costumes had subtle changes (most just color muting and fabric), and we accepted them for what they are, and they worked well, and yet, other characters have to receive drastic overhauls to be taken even remotely seriously. I truly believe that for this movie to work, we'll have to see a little more in the way of skin coverage and science, and a little less Conan, animal furs and wrapped boots... but no glowing katana sword. That is horribly wrong.
    I agree about Sup and Spidey... why should He-Man be different? Maybe it's because of movies like Conan in the 80's that ruined this look for live-action. We'll forever associate it with this early genre, so it's hard to come up with a look that is faithful to the original and yet doesn't call up Arnie in a loin cloth I think that the villains can more easily get away with looking realistic in muted filmation colors (what is it about muting colors that we accept??), but He-Man is a byproduct of the era of Conan. It will take one hell of an actor and clever costuming to not make him look cheesy.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior King Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,252
    Sorry, Supes costume workedd better WITHOUT the muted colors.

  24. #24
    Heroic Opera Diva sweetbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    Sorry, Supes costume workedd better WITHOUT the muted colors.
    Well, with Superman, I like him either way. I have a bit of a crush

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    553
    You've also got to choose your superheroes. It worked well for Spidey and Superman because that was the point of them, i.e. they're supposed to be theatrical, but do the same for the Fantastic 4 and they looked absolutely hilarious!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •