Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eternians - Racist?

Heroic Warrior

Eternians - Racist?

So here's something I don't know if it's been discussed before or not or whether or not it's been shown in the cartoon: Prior to being banished from the palace, was Keldor evil?

His bio says he was banished from the palace because of distrust of the Gar race, which to me is blantantly racist. So if he hadn't been banished due to those in charge at the time's racism (for lack of a better term) and forced to wander, would he still have encountered Hordak and become evil?
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

That depends whether or not the Gars were an evil race. In fantasy worlds, goblins, orcs, and trolls are generally evil by nature. Perhaps the Gar race is the same? ...and if so, why did King Miro shag one?!?

(Fixed... I didn't realize I had typed Randor in there until it was pointed out, sorry! lol)
    Last edited by raptor8x; December 1, 2010 at 12:24pm.

King Miro did the shagging.

Unless your "fantasy world" is going to be a feckless, white-washed D&D land where there are no moral shades of grey & everyone wears their "alignment" on their sleeve, you will need to include a little dirt.

Wars & fighting involve all kinds of nasty things. King Randor, etc. shouldn't be paradigms of absolute wisdom & virtue. They should make mistakes, harbour prejudices - act like flawed human beings.

Otherwise you might as well just pretend its Angels vs. Demons and forget anything interesting but the colours & kinetics.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    IDK, I've always been disgusted by the Gar's.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Unless your "fantasy world" is going to be a feckless, white-washed D&D land where there are no moral shades of grey & everyone wears their "alignment" on their sleeve, you will need to include a little dirt.

Wars & fighting involve all kinds of nasty things. King Randor, etc. shouldn't be paradigms of absolute wisdom & virtue. They should make mistakes, harbour prejudices - act like flawed human beings.

Otherwise you might as well just pretend its Angels vs. Demons and forget anything interesting but the colours & kinetics.

I agree, very well put.

Yeah like raptor8x said, it depends on the Gar race. The bio writers and easily just say that the Gar race is evil, no questions about it. It would add more flavor though to say that there is some form a racism involved. They don't even have to use the word, just keep the "distruct for the Gar race" in there and everyone would know what it means if it's danced around without saying.

Beyond that, it would have to be something in the form of the Gar race is known to be evil by nature. If they don't have a racist view toward the Gar, then Keldor would ahve to be half Gar so that it can be said that he had "hope". If the Gar race isn't trust due to being known as evil, there is no other way that Keldor could have been any part of the kingdom previously unless they had a reason to think he was or could be different. So "half Gar" would be all I can see fitting here in the idea I was saying.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I think the thing is the bio just states they were distrusted without saying why. If it's because they're known to be evil, that would go a ways towards explaining it. However, if they distrusted them merely because of the different skin color and the fact there weren't many of them around, then it's somewhat ironic that the rulers at the time helped to unknowingly create one of the biggest threats to Eternia through their actions.
    Good Traders:

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    I think the thing is the bio just states they were distrusted without saying why. If it's because they're known to be evil, that would go a ways towards explaining it. However, if they distrusted them merely because of the different skin color and the fact there weren't many of them around, then it's somewhat ironic that the rulers at the time helped to unknowingly create one of the biggest threats to Eternia through their actions.
    This would be an unusually subtle move on the part of the bio writer/s!

We might also ask if Eternians aren't just racists, but classist (witness the gap between rich & poor) & sexist (some of the women might have power, but the men are ultimately on top)?

This would be fine by me though, as it gives the characters more psychological texture.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    That would be an interesting twist, and give some good story fodder.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    What would be interesting is if the Gar were seen ad mostly inherently bad people as a race is if Keldor exhibited any of these traits prior to being banished. It's possible, though anecdotal, that he may have been bucking the trend and actually been good but was still sullied with the stigma his people held. If that's the case, I can't say I really blame him for being a wee bit torqued off at the royal family.
    Good Traders:

This is the one thing I never liked about the concept of the SNAKE MEN. You never see a good snakeman in the series. Kobra Khan seemed pretty evolved, despite being evil. I find it hard to believe there were not other members of his race who were good.

Heroic Warrior
    One of the things I've always been curious about is if there was ever a war between the Eternians and the Gar people? That would breed a distrust for sure...especially if it was a recent war.

I tend to not subscribe to the idea that the Gar are an inherently evil race...same for the snake men. They're not "evil" by birth, but by culture. If a race (snake men) believe in eating the people they conquer, they're going to be seen as evil. What if snake men for some reason biologically desire to eat people the same way a lot of humans think cooking meat smells good? Humans smell tasty so they want to eat them!

I'm not overly fond of Eternians being racist. I totally agree that it adds an extra layer of interest to the story, but with almost every politician/person in authority in the world being involved in things which could be considered 'a bit dodgy' I like it that at least in MOTU there are clear-cut good and evil sides. It takes me back to simpler, more innocent times when you knew who you could trust and who you couldn't.

All-

Let's keep this thread on the topic of Eternians/Gars and avoid discussion of our own sociopolitical landscape, please.
    That sort of discussion always leads to arguments and hurt feelings and belongs in the Tar Swamp.

Thanks!
    -Bill
    Bill :: guitargod694

And this is the time where we chant JERRY JERRY JERRY!

And Man at arms throws a chair at Geraldo!
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Yes, there's a definate split between people who like the cut & dried Good Vs Evil and those who want more realism & moral ambiguity.

Ultimately, as we all know, not all of us will be happy with new story-lines, media, etc.

Heroic Warrior
    All Gars unite! Stand against racism.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm just surprised this hadn't been covered anywhere before. It seems like they would have at least given SOME reason somewhere as to why they distrusted the Gar people and why they banished Keldor other than a simple dislike. He was half-royalty, after all.
    Good Traders:

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    Possible the Gar are like the Sith... There can be only two... Keldor and Sy-Klone.

Maybe the skin colour is from some initiation. Sy-Klone is a bit nieve and could easliy have been lead on by Keldor early before leaving him in Anwat-Gar.

They say "Gar race" so why do only know of two definates and possibly 1 more. Keldor and his mum, and possibly Sy-Klone.

Feel free to shoot this down as I'm just letting this idea float from the back of my head. I have no facts to back this up... None at all really, I got nothing.
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

Heroic Warrior
    It does go towards making the Masters of the Universe...universe...a bit more three dimensional. But I want to know why Evil Lyn was Yellow? Are all Zalesians that colour?

I am keenly interested in finding out more about Prince Keldor's banishment. It would be easier to grasp if he had simply left, but to have bee banished? I lean to thinking that this happened after Miro's disappearance, that the king loved his son and that once Marzo got him out of the picture, the powers that be took the chance to "clean house" of the "icky" Gar prince. That would send me off to conspire with interdimensional warlords, you bet!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Please, guys, as guitargod694 said, we need to keep this going in the right direction so it doesn't get shut down. You can talk about racism in our society only in the Tar Swamp section of the forums along with politics and the like. There's no place for that when talking about Eternia.

If you don't know what the Tar Swamp is, please PM me or look in the Other Discussion forum for details.

I can't offer an opinion until Mattel reveals more about this race as w eonly have 1 known example on hand.

Though we've seen Skeletor go from

* one of many bone-faced beings from another dimension
    * total fool of a bad guy
    * intergalactic bad guy
    * Keldor with magic
    * Keldor as half-Gar bonded with Demo-Man

** and a guy who wanted to marry a massage chair, if Mo-Larr's inclusion is now halfway canon
    Last edited by diosoth; December 1, 2010 at 08:00am.
    It seems this forum is now filled with people who are more offended by the Star Wars movies than they are of the fact our president is a proven traitor or that the Supreme Court now has a certified rapist sitting on it.

He-Man & She-Ra would be ashamed of the alt-right influx into their fanbase.

Heroic Collector of MOTUC the.overlord's Avatar
    DESPONDOS (watching the game - having a Bud...with HORDAK)
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    king miro did the shagging.
    quote of the year!!!
    Classics Collector!!

Successful transactions/trades with: MossMan710179, cobaltkatdrone, reefkeeper, Zildjian, keithfuchs, Raypor, Zovex, JOXE, Son of Keldor, Hogan, BadSchoolGirl69, Degra, Uki, Blue Monkey, dedset13, Vaal (THX EVERYONE!!)

My trader review:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169339