Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Main page poll results about Battle Cat/Cringer speaking in a new MOTU movie!

  1. #1
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,790

    Main page poll results about Battle Cat/Cringer speaking in a new MOTU movie!

    And wow, talk about fans being split on the issue!

    809 fans voted.

    354 fans, or 43.76%, felt neither Cringer or Battle Cat should talk in a new MOTU movie.
    346 fans, or 42.77%, felt they should both talk.
    54 fans, or 6.67%, felt only Battle Cat should talk.
    31 fans, or 3.83%, felt only Cringer should talk.
    And 24 fans, or 2.97% didn't care either way.

    What this means is 43.76% don't want any talking,
    while 53.27% want some form of talking.
    You could then swing the extra 2.97% of indecisive fans in either direction.

    But no matter how you weigh it, the results are not a clear voice in either direction from hardcore fans who care about the issue.

    While this poll dealt specifically with Battle Cat/Cringer speaking out loud with a humanoid voice, some fans have suggested possible middle ground ideas like telepathy between He-Man/Adam and Battle Cat/Cringer.
    Or Battle Cat/Cringer speaking in intelligent growls and noises that He-Man/Adam can understand.

    What do you think of the results, and where do you stand on the subject?

  2. #2
    Council Elder Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,702
    Wow! Very interesting!

  3. #3
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    4,366
    Wow, fans are definitely divided on this one. It's close to being almost down the middle! The edge goes to some form of talking, but I still maintain they should both speak (IMO).

    ~Penny~
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; December 22, 2010 at 02:39pm.

  4. #4
    Heroic HamStar Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    969
    Really cool to see how many people are split on this. It'll be difficult to please everyone when/if the movie happens. Another good poll.

    Personally I am firmly in the middle still. I love them talking in filmation, but the 200X versions not talking is cool too. It depends on how they implement it either way. If it serves a purpose and is delivered well then talking is fine, if is just for the crack and isn;t done well then i'm happy to leave it out.

    Whether Cringer and BC talk is far from make or break for me. Personally there's plenty of other battles i'd prefer to get on my high horse about.

  5. #5
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    no talking.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior H.A.L.9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ba'hee Priss Dimmie Forever!!
    Posts
    1,911
    i agree with the no talking... i feel it would make the movie silly and too childish... i hope the motu movie would be kinda gritty along the lines of LOTR and not Narnia...
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Horde Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    635
    I say end the polls and let's see some pre-production and moviemaking starting to happen! Too much talking about it! Haven't seen any doing!
    Horde Lord

  8. #8
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Yes, the results are interesting, to see that fans seem to be pretty evenly split on the topic.

    And I still stand by my reasons why and how Battle Cat/Cringer should talk in the next film, if anyone, for some reason hadn't already read them previously.
    – No comment.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    498
    Cringer or Battle Cat talking would make him too much a main character in a movie thats sure to be swarming with iconic figures. He did a great job of communicating his thoughts nonverbally in the MYP cartoon. I wonder if the people who wanted cringer to talk are expecting He-man to be just Adam with a tan in the movie.

  10. #10
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,790
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    I wonder if the people who wanted cringer to talk are expecting He-man to be just Adam with a tan in the movie.
    No, we don't.
    Now, shall I toss a MYP related insult your way to even things out?
    IOW, let's please not go down that road. We should all respect each others preferences... or at least tolerate them.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,967
    This proves my point on fan-bases. There is no general consensus for a MOTU film. Everyone wants different things.

  12. #12
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,790
    I don't follow what ya mean, though.
    There's always going to be fans in any fanbase who like things that other fans don't.
    Sometimes the majority agrees with one thing, sometimes it's closer to a split down the middle (like with this pole).

  13. #13
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    10,024
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    Cringer or Battle Cat talking would make him too much a main character in a movie thats sure to be swarming with iconic figures.
    Cringer & Battle Cat(or at least Battle Cat if you prefer the pre-Filmation MOTU era) are major characters imho. I'm not saying everyone loves, or even likes, them equally, but they've been around since MOTU's early days and are as important & iconic as He-Man's Power Sword.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior wilee4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,267
    I didn't vote (because I didn't catch the poll) but would go for a no talking but He-Man can understand him the way Han Solo understands Chewbacca. So it's clear they can communicate without it getting silly, and really in the Filmation cartoon did Battle Cat speak to anyone other than He-Man? I recall an occasional line to Orko or maybe Sorceress, but they weren't really anything I'd think HAD to be included in a film. And it could be implied pretty easily that some characters can understand him and some can't (like Lando understands Chewie).

    .
    .
    HEROVERSE IS COMING...
    .
    .


    Lionheart avatar by Baena

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior He-Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    2,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Yes, the results are interesting, to see that fans seem to be pretty evenly split on the topic.

    And I still stand by my reasons why and how Battle Cat/Cringer should talk in the next film, if anyone, for some reason hadn't already read them previously.
    I really like your ideas. I had always assumed that time stopped with He-Man changing (which is OT, but was in your other thread), and the Cringer/Battle Cat talking idea is interesting. I would prefer that Battle Cat just speak in a language that everyone understands, but your idea is a good alternative.

    I voted for only Battle Cat speaking, becuase I think it could look really cool (and not cheesy) if done well. But if it is a yes or note vote, then I vote that they both speak.

    Quote Originally Posted by Horde Lord View Post
    I say end the polls and let's see some pre-production and moviemaking starting to happen! Too much talking about it! Haven't seen any doing!
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Cringer & Battle Cat [have] been around since MOTU's early days and are as important & iconic as He-Man's Power Sword.
    And everytime something is removed from the main formula, it doesn't work.

  16. #16
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    I really like your ideas. I had always assumed that time stopped with He-Man changing (which is OT, but was in your other thread), and the Cringer/Battle Cat talking idea is interesting. I would prefer that Battle Cat just speak in a language that everyone understands, but your idea is a good alternative.
    Thanks He-Boy!

    And yes, I think we all would agree: just make the movie already!
    – No comment.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,967
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I don't follow what ya mean, though.
    There's always going to be fans in any fanbase who like things that other fans don't.
    Sometimes the majority agrees with one thing, sometimes it's closer to a split down the middle (like with this pole).
    No doubt there are many things that would be unanimous amongst the fans (being set on Eternia, Snake Mountain, Castle Grayskull, "I have the Power" etc), but the reality is that everyone still has his or her own ideas about how a MOTU film should be handled.

  18. #18
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    No doubt there are many things that would be unanimous amongst the fans (being set on Eternia, Snake Mountain, Castle Grayskull, "I have the Power" etc), but the reality is that everyone still has his or her own ideas about how a MOTU film should be handled.
    That's a given for anything made into a movie

    And like you said, we all have our own views, but there are also many things fans do come together on for what they'd like to see in a film.

  19. #19
    Council Elder Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,493
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    But no matter how you weigh it, the results are not a clear voice in either direction from hardcore fans who care about the issue.
    voice. Because it's about whether the cats should talk or...not...*ahem*



    Anyway, I would be down for talking or telepathy. I feel just making him a regular cat, like MYP did, makes him more of an accessory or vehicle than an actual character. As wilee4 said above, at the bare minimum they have to make him like Chewie!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior SimbasGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pride Lands
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Personally I am firmly in the middle still. I love them talking in filmation, but the 200X versions not talking is cool too. It depends on how they implement it either way. If it serves a purpose and is delivered well then talking is fine, if is just for the crack and isn;t done well then i'm happy to leave it out.
    This is exactly how I feel, thanks for saving me a lot of typing Minion
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,967
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's a given for anything made into a movie

    And like you said, we all have our own views, but there are also many things fans do come together on for what they'd like to see in a film.
    Yep, I agree. That’s why us fans will never agree, which is a bit of a contradiction to what I just said.

    One things for sure, though, you can bet your bottom dollar that when the film does get rolling it will probably take on a form which none of us would have guessed at.

  22. #22
    Argenternian heavy-eternium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    BUENOS AIRES,ARGENTINA,SOUTH OF HEAVEN
    Posts
    2,076
    i have no doubt when Sony confirm the film and we'll have news all the time, this movie forum will become "the debate's show " and I love that.

  23. #23
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,843
    Very interesting results indeed! Guess this is one issue fans are pretty divided about. I think I could be happy with either choice for a film, though I think some sort of telepathic talking between BC and HM would be a pretty cool middle ground.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

  24. #24
    Widget moss_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Burntisland
    Posts
    6
    I agree that done in the right way both Cringer and Battle Cat talking in the new movie could be good, but there needs to be a clear understanding or distinction between the eternian voice and them. Also not to just add there voice in as a second thought.
    This would give a clear difference between earthling animals and eternian creatures. But not to go over the top, the idea of certain characters only understanding BC and Cringer is good aswell.

  25. #25
    No Red Beast, We Riot! Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,061
    I didn't vote or even realize there was a poll. My stance is that Battle Cat shouldn't talk. I also don't think Cringer should even exist, lol. But if he must exist, then MYP handled it best by not having him speak.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •