Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A new MOTU videogame is possible?

If they are doing a MOTU game it would proably be best if it's like God of War or Darksiders, the hack and slash style game play.

I can't see it working to well with the open world sand box stye of game play. It could I suppose.

A side note: This thread got me thinking Anyone else want to see Kratos vs Skeletor?

I like to think of a potential character creation screen. You get to choose between 1 if 5 different legs, arms, chest piece, and a separate customizable head based on race. (They can save money just like Mattel!) You can also choose class based on one of the types of powers or weapons as seen in MoTu. Enter MMO. I could only imagine how amazing it would feel to go visit the Sorceress after I complete the quest chain that allows me to locate and therefore enter Castle Greyskull.

But dreams are for rookies. lol.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTripper View Post
    Personally, I'm still waiting for Mattel to license MOTU to Lego, and then for LEGO/Traveler's Tales to do a MOTU game like the Lego Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter franchises.
    DreamTripper wins the thread.
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulletrider View Post
    Just a sidenote - the mage-type devil in Castelvania Curse of Darkness even looks quite a bit like one we all know
    http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7342/scissorrod.jpg
    This is so Orko. The game designer did that on purpose.

ToyFare went straight to THQ for a quote about the recent video game news,
    and here's what they found out!

TOYFARE EXCLUSIVE: When we saw that THQ were signing a deal to make video games based on Mattel properties, and the deal included our favorite toy line — “Masters of the Universe” — we immediately needed to know more. So we reached out to Julie MacMedan, VP of corporate communications for THQ, to get the scoop.

TOYFARE: When can we expect to start seeing games from the THQ/Mattel deal?

MACMEDAN: We are already in the development stage on multiple games, the first of which are scheduled for release holiday 2011. Details of these titles will be formally announced in the coming months.

Of prime interest to us, of course, is Masters of the Universe. How high does this rank on the list or priorities for the Mattel properties for THQ to produce games of?

Mattel has some of the biggest brands in the toy industry. Barbie is on a roll right now and we think the newer Monster High brand will be a great fit for videogames. We are still in the early stages of working with Mattel on the release schedule and design concepts so stay tuned. But clearly Masters of the Universe is a fantastic brand that has a huge fan base and following. It’s one of the Mattel brands we’re very excited about.

Mattel’s stable of properties obviously has tremendous kid appeal. Is there any chance some of the games could target core gamers/adult fans of the properties as well?

Our goal is to deliver new ways to play Mattel’s classic and newer brands. We view these brands as appealing mainly to family and casual gaming audiences. However, we believe there are quite a few core gamers interested in Mattel’s classic brands such as Masters of the Universe, and we plan to explore ways that we can deliver fun, high quality gaming experiences based on this brand.

What made the Mattel brands such an appealing license for THQ to go after?

Mattel’s brands have huge global appeal and with play patterns changing, we feel we can deliver great results in the interactive space based on Mattel’s properties. We’ve been very pleased with the response to Pictionary on our uDraw GameTablet this holiday. We expect our relationship to Mattel to be very collaborative – and very creative.

Be sure to check out Wizard and ToyFare for more toy and comic news!

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

TOYFARE EXCLUSIVE: When we saw that THQ were signing a deal to make video games based on Mattel properties, and the deal included our favorite toy line — “Masters of the Universe” — we immediately needed to know more. So we reached out to Julie MacMedan, VP of corporate communications for THQ, to get the scoop.

TOYFARE: When can we expect to start seeing games from the THQ/Mattel deal?

MACMEDAN: We are already in the development stage on multiple games, the first of which are scheduled for release holiday 2011. Details of these titles will be formally announced in the coming months.

Of prime interest to us, of course, is Masters of the Universe. How high does this rank on the list or priorities for the Mattel properties for THQ to produce games of?

Mattel has some of the biggest brands in the toy industry. Barbie is on a roll right now and we think the newer Monster High brand will be a great fit for videogames. We are still in the early stages of working with Mattel on the release schedule and design concepts so stay tuned. But clearly Masters of the Universe is a fantastic brand that has a huge fan base and following. It’s one of the Mattel brands we’re very excited about.

Mattel’s stable of properties obviously has tremendous kid appeal. Is there any chance some of the games could target core gamers/adult fans of the properties as well?

Our goal is to deliver new ways to play Mattel’s classic and newer brands. We view these brands as appealing mainly to family and casual gaming audiences. However, we believe there are quite a few core gamers interested in Mattel’s classic brands such as Masters of the Universe, and we plan to explore ways that we can deliver fun, high quality gaming experiences based on this brand.

What made the Mattel brands such an appealing license for THQ to go after?

Mattel’s brands have huge global appeal and with play patterns changing, we feel we can deliver great results in the interactive space based on Mattel’s properties. We’ve been very pleased with the response to Pictionary on our uDraw GameTablet this holiday. We expect our relationship to Mattel to be very collaborative – and very creative.

Be sure to check out Wizard and ToyFare for more toy and comic news!
    Is ToyGuru working for THQ now?

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

But clearly Masters of the Universe is a fantastic brand that has a huge fan base and following. It’s one of the Mattel brands we’re very excited about.

However, we believe there are quite a few core gamers interested in Mattel’s classic brands such as Masters of the Universe, and we plan to explore ways that we can deliver fun, high quality gaming experiences based on this brand.
    How exciting!

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I hope that we get a decent MOTU game... Are there any good THQ games (aside from the Smackdown! Games)
    I think a Smackdown styled MOTU game would be great.

THQ also does the game Saints Row, which is a GTA style game. They also make the War Hammer 4000 games.
    Last edited by Lewd_Squirrel; January 6, 2011 at 04:30pm.
    Does Galactus fart?

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Sounds good. I can't wait for the day I can sign on to Xbox Live and have my entire, full friendlist see me playing a MOTU video game. Regardless of how mediocre it may be, it will instantly become one of my favorite games as it is MOTU and we are long overdue for a MOTU video game.

BTW, this isnt the first time Mattel teamed up with THQ.

It seems like this stuff is popping up on all kinds of video game sites. I've been reading them all, but there is a very recent one that I don't like the sound of...

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-i...r-of-grayskull
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    I just saw an "ad" on facebook even. Saying along the lines of the possiblity of a MOTU game. It seems there is a high chance of thier being one already in the works--or that it definatly is wanted.---That would be awesome.
    Last edited by Raining Light; January 6, 2011 at 05:47pm.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Well, Toyguru did say that Mattel have “big plans” for 2012. Is it too greedy to ask for a new game, cartoon series and comic series, followed by a film?

Seriously, though, I hope this heralds a new beginning for MOTU.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Sounds good. I can't wait for the day I can sign on to Xbox Live and have my entire, full friendlist see me playing a MOTU video game. Regardless of how mediocre it may be, it will instantly become one of my favorite games as it is MOTU and we are long overdue for a MOTU video game.

[/url]
    same here

Wow, this sounds a bit more promising that we'll actually see a "good" MotU vg one day!

Since Mattel doesn't yet have the Filmation rights, I was thinking, how could they still make a cool looking game?

Well, they do have the rights to all the classic mini-comics, packaging and box art, and of course the MYP series, so...

One way they could go is: base the characters of the actual MOTUC figures + the various mini-comic characters; the environments off the box art/packaging art and the mini-comics, and possibly some from MYP; and maybe title and base each "level" on some type of reincarnation of the mini-comic stories! Maybe not all of them, but then some could simply be loosely based on them, and simply expand them and maybe connect them all with some type of continuity, somehow?
    – No comment.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    How about using the motuc-continuity, eh?

Oh yeah. I guess that would work too.
    – No comment.

On the Filmation rights issue...too bad they can't have episodes or even just clips unlockable on a MOTU game. That would be sweet and has been done before on similar properties if I remember correctly. If they can put random VHS tapes with single episodes on figures at walmart in 2002, they could license a couple for a MOTU-video game if they really wanted to.

I just hope if they make a MOTU video game that they do a little research on the subject first and not just make a boring/mindless game with no MOTU history involved. Look at the most recent Transformers game for example. There was tons of GEEWUN backstory woven into that game and I really enjoyed it! If they can do that with Transformers, they can make a siiiick game for MOTU! That is...if they wanted to!
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I am a bit concerned with where they are going to take the MOTU games. We have remember that this is a family game and MOTU is not going to be blood and guts.

That being said, there is nothing to say that He-man is not going to be action packed and have a great story. I would be ok if they went with a God of War style game or even a type of RPG. If they get a great story going, I think they have a potential franchise.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

Rider of the Night MyBroGotAllMyFigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Look at the most recent Transformers game for example. There was tons of GEEWUN backstory woven into that game and I really enjoyed it! If they can do that with Transformers, they can make a siiiick game for MOTU! That is...if they wanted to!
    What if they decided to use the MOTUC's new all-encompassing-but-sort-of-rebooting canon instead?

Quote Originally Posted by MyBroGotAllMyFigs View Post
    What if they decided to use the MOTUC's new all-encompassing-but-sort-of-rebooting canon instead?
    That's perfectly acceptable, as long as they do their research on it and it isn't just a meaningless, generic game. All I'm saying is there needs to be SOME MOTU history linked in the game be it from mini comics, either cartoons, or whatever era.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I would LOVE a MOTU game. Unfortunately, any game made any time soon would not have much time or development allocated to it and as a result it would be crap.

MOTU's profile is too small. Games like Zelda have massive teams and are in development for 3 years. A fighter like StreetFighter vs X-Men would work best for MOTU, because it would really showcase the characters, but even then it would need a decent effort to be put into it. Remember the dismal TMNT Smash Bros rip off

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    While I personally have never really liked fighters, I agree that a fighter is probably the best way to go for the first game. Even the weakest fighting games tend to sell very well, and they tend to be the most popular types of games among teens. A good fighter that sells well would be the best way to introduce "non-fans" to MOTU, and get them interested in more games. It might even be better to have certain characters be exclusives in different consoles for existing fighter sequels, the way Soul Calibur (sp?) II had Link on Nintendo, and I believe Yoda and Spawn in other platforms.

But, as I said before, I still believe the best possible MOTU game would be a Lego/Traveler's Tales game based on a MOTU/Lego license.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

I am so expecting an updated version of this game.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps2/heman/review.html

My hopes are not high. Then again, prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when you're wrong is a decent credo.

Heroic Warrior
    Most licensed games don't do well. Hopefully THQ will put some thought and creativity in a MOTU or POP videogame. Maybe with some inspiration from games like The Legend of Zelda or God Of War. Also with motion control gaming on all three consoles, how awesome would it be to wield your controller like He-Man's Power Sword or Skeletor's Havoc Staff? Whatever the controls may be I am looking forward to MOTU/POP videogames. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    I would LOVE a MOTU game. Unfortunately, any game made any time soon would not have much time or development allocated to it and as a result it would be crap.

MOTU's profile is too small. Games like Zelda have massive teams and are in development for 3 years. A fighter like StreetFighter vs X-Men would work best for MOTU, because it would really showcase the characters, but even then it would need a decent effort to be put into it. Remember the dismal TMNT Smash Bros rip off
    I remember Smash-Up... They had part of Team Ninja AND part of the Smash Brothers team... How could they mess up like they did?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Well, the more stuff to get MotU more ingrained in the public consciousness, the better.

Aside from that, I've been out of the video game loop for so long that I'm really not knowledgeable enough to comment.

But from what I remember THQ never had the greatest track record.