Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A new MOTU videogame is possible?

Rider of the Night MyBroGotAllMyFigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    ...there needs to be SOME MOTU history linked in the game be it from mini comics...
    If it was an action adventure game were you started out as the savage He-Man from the barbarian tribe and had the vibe and background story of the first mini-comic, I'd pre-order the thing.

Also, and I'm just throwing this out there, but seeing as tons of games have special editions that come with additional toys, figures, etc. - wouldn't it be cool if they had a special edition of the game that came packed with an exclusive figure made just for the game, in a MOTUC card and bubble and all?

Also, if it was a fighting game, I'd prefer to leave that to the Japanese, and preferably, to CAPCOM or SNK. But this is THQ, so an action/adventure title is what seems most likely at this point.

Great news.

If THQ are to be publishing it, then I'd also like it to be a game similar to Darksiders (which ironically I'm playing now.)
    It makes the most sense. They already have the engine and game mechanics worked out; with some tinkering they could easily make a MOTU game based on the Darksiders formula.

As a fighting game I think Motu has potential, but it would have to be darn good to compete with heavyweights like Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat etc.
    Fighting games are also a bit of a niche market these days, whereas the God of War/ Darksiders / Castlevania type of game is a more popular genre.

Yep. I played Darksiders this past summer and had a blast. A MOTU game with the same engine gives me goosebumps.

Okay, so I looked up Darksiders because I've never seen it. It looks good, but it does remind me a lot of the MOTU PS2 game that was released in the U.K. (just with better graphics and more action).

Anyway, a MOTU game like this would be cool, but I would still like to see it have the capability to have a party of 4-5 where you control one person, the rest are A.I. and you can switch to whichever character during gameplay, and it be multiplayer (when a player joins, they become one of the characters), like in X-Men Legends.

That way the a MOTU game could truly be about He-Man and the Masters of the Universe instead of He-Man fights Skeletor.

Here's a review of Darksiders from IGN for those that want to take a look. Other review videos I saw ranked it 3/5 stars, 7.8/10 (IGN) and 9/10.

MOTU PS2 - clips start at :35 (sorry for forgetting to mention that. )

Video Review of Defender of Grayskull starts at 2:23

Last edited by Darkspecter; January 9, 2011 at 04:38pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Apologist of Mattel« Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Yep. I played Darksiders this past summer and had a blast. A MOTU game with the same engine gives me goosebumps.
    Yeah, I played (and beat I think) Darksiders as well. Definitely wasn't a bad game at all, but it would be an amazing game if it was MOTU-inspired!
    -=ĄEvilC°untMarz°Ą=-
    BL┼ăK FLěW╦RŐ!!!!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Sweet, thanks for posting that clip, Darkspecter!

I could definitely imagine a solid MotU game in that style, levels where you can ride Battle Cat plowing down Bone Warriors, etc.

I also think it would be great to, as you say, incorporate other playable characters besides He-Man himself.

I'd love to play as Moss Man or Man-At-Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Sweet, thanks for posting that clip, Darkspecter!
    No problem. That game does look pretty cool. My dream is to have a MOTU game that REALLY blows me away. One with great storylines, quests, lots of characters and exploring the vast world of Eternia. That would be sweetness.

Also, I edited my other post. I forgot to mention that the clips of the first Defender of Grayskull YouTube video begin at :35 in. The first :35 is just the menu screen.

There are a few more Darksiders reviews. The one I wanted to post the most has a bad swear in it, so I had to post IGN's instead.

But yeah, the programming for Darksiders could work. They have the main character riding an animal that could be changed into Battlecat, he fights giant bad guys which could be changed into Megator, Azdar, Chazdar and the B guy (I always forget his name. ). Main guy has a giant sword... It could work. I would just like the tweaks to the gameplay and multiplayer like I mentioned. It woudl still be a lot less work than starting from scratch.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 9, 2011 at 04:45pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    No problem. That game does look pretty cool. My dream is to have a MOTU game that REALLY blows me away. One with great storylines, quests, lots of characters and exploring the vast world of Eternia. That would be sweetness.

Also, I edited my other post. I forgot to mention that the clips of the first Defender of Grayskull YouTube video begin at :35 in. The first :35 is just the menu screen.

There are a few more Darksiders reviews. The one I wanted to post the most has a bad swear in it, so I had to post IGN's instead.

But yeah, the programming for Darksiders could work. They have the main character riding an animal that could be changed into Battlecat, he fights giant bad guys which could be changed into Megator, Azdar, Chazdar and the B guy (I always forget his name. ). Main guy has a giant sword... It could work. I would just like the tweaks to the gameplay and multiplayer like I mentioned. It woudl still be a lot less work than starting from scratch.

They'll probably just use one of their own game engines. They developed brand new ones for Darksiders and Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - they might just use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Anyway, a MOTU game like this would be cool, but I would still like to see it have the capability to have a party of 4-5 where you control one person, the rest are A.I. and you can switch to whichever character during gameplay, and it be multiplayer (when a player joins, they become one of the characters), like in X-Men Legends.
    With the emphasis on multiplayer these days, I'm fairly certain THQ would make a game with multiplayer in mind, and I think the idea of a party of adventurers would definitely be cool.

Dragon Age Origins (which by the way, is an amazing game) had this concept where you could adventure solo, or form a party from a list of characters, with the added bonus of being able to play as any of the characters at any point. You just switched between them on the fly in battle, if you so wanted, or you could simply play permanently with the same character.
    It was a neat idea that worked really well.

A Motu game with a similar concept would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal1972 View Post
    With the emphasis on multiplayer these days, I'm fairly certain THQ would make a game with multiplayer in mind, and I think the idea of a party of adventurers would definitely be cool.

Dragon Age Origins (which by the way, is an amazing game) had this concept where you could adventure solo, or form a party from a list of characters, with the added bonus of being able to play as any of the characters at any point. You just switched between them on the fly in battle, if you so wanted, or you could simply play permanently with the same character.

What you are talking about is a very common mechanic in western RPGs, actually. Dates all the way back to the 80s with Ultima and the likes. Not disagreeing with you, just adding my two cents. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    1. I want a MOTUC fighter in the style of Mortal Kombat complete with a customizable character feature.

2. I want a MOTUC action/adventure in the style of Marvel Ultimate Alliance with all sorts of locations, buildings, characters & team action.

3. I want a MOTUC 3rd person view, free play game in the style of the Assassin's Creed series. Play as He-Man with customizable gear, ability to ride Battle Cat, interact with & fight along side the heroic warriors, face off against Skeletor & his evil warriors, lots of swords, axes, shields, magic & just the right amount of sci-fi. I can picture it & it would be so fun.

All games should have really cool unlockable costumes, armor, characters & locations.

I second the Marvel Ultimate Alliance style gameplay. I like the team idea.

If they are smart with the "MUA style" game they'd make it against the Snaekmen or the horde. That way they can get more replay value using a "Side B" story (Skeletor's crew POV)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    If they are smart with the "MUA style" game they'd make it against the Snaekmen or the horde. That way they can get more replay value using a "Side B" story (Skeletor's crew POV)
    Or maybe make it like X-Men Legends 2, where the Horde have become such a threat to Eternia, the Heroic and Evil Warriors have formed a temporary truce to take them out
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

that could work as the final act for both sides of the story... He-Man and Skeletor teaming up to get rid of the Horde...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal1972 View Post

Good call on Dragon Age Origins. That would be a good multi-player concept.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeleChris View Post
    I second the Marvel Ultimate Alliance style gameplay. I like the team idea.
    I can't believe I forgot about MUA2. It's very similar to X-Men Legends, but it has some new additions and it's awesome that you can choose who to go with 1/2 way through the game. It would be sweet if you could choose to be Skeletor and his crew trying to destroy Eternia and take over Grayskull!

I think I like the way Dragon Age Origins is with regard to the party system best. Applied to a MOTU game you could be He-Man by himself or in a party with, say, Teela, MAA, Orko and Stratos and just play He-Man while they are A.I. and you can switch between them in real-time or PAUSE and switch to who you want in the middle of the battle and even switch camera angles to an above shot to see long range attacks (which would be cool if there were MASSIVE attacks like we saw in MYP).

Here's some Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2:

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Recent News-Kotaku Posted this today:

http://kotaku.com/5732040/you-still-...-got-any-ideas

Says the following:

Just one week ago we were pretty sure that a He-Man video game was in the works. It turns out that it's more of just a hope and a dream right now. So now's your chance to be influential.

Danny Bilson, avowed Kotaku reader and head of "core" games at game publisher THQ told us today that he wants to make a Masters of the Universe game. (Masters of the Universe is the name for the 80s toy and cartoon franchise featuring He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, an annoying floating red-cloaked elf thing and a bunch of other characters some of you might be too young and deprived to know.) Bilson's problem is that he didn't know until a week ago that THQ was going to be able to make a He-Man game.

There was some question about whether THQ was going to get the rights to making a He-Man game even as they were getting the rights to make Barbie games and other stuff based on Mattel toys. But last week Bilson got the word that Masters of the Universe: The Game is something his teams could make.

"I'm sure we'll be doing something," he said. "I can't say what, but something."

Kotaku readers, tell THQ what that "something" should be, will you?

He-Man first person shooter?

He-Man kart racing game?

He-Man MMO?
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

This idea has a lot of potential, but I'm really concerned. I'm a gamer first, He-Man second, but I make a point of knowing a decent amount about anything I am a fan of. Unfortunately, I don't think most people realize how rich the Masters of the Universe property is. I'd be afraid that most developers would hook onto something they remember from their childhood or Comedy Central parodies, and just make something passable.

I've posted elsewhere here about an MMO before, but I don't trust the MMO industry right now. No one, players or developers, know what they're doing anymore. They're chasing what they perceive as success rather than fun, which has seen them spiral down a repetitive and painful path for many years now.

I think an Adventure Game could do some interesting things with the IP as well, but I don't trust that idea much like MMOs. A game where you spend most of your time as Adam and have to think through your problems, only becoming He-Man when you really need it and can find a private place to activate the Power Sword, might represent the spirit of the IP better, but Adventure Games aren't in a good place. They're trying to make a comeback right now, but even the good developers still rely on lampshading the problems that killed the genre, rather than fixing them.

To me, the ultimate He-Man game would either be some kind of linear, arcade action game, or an action RPG. Between the shows, comics, toy bios, and other sources, Eternia has gained a huge history that includes a wide variety of areas. It would be really awesome to be able to explore those at (mostly) your own pace, and help out all the various villages and people across Eternia and beyond.

Something like a cross between a Bioware RPG and an Elder Scrolls game with fluid combat would be pretty neat and do justice to the IP in my opinion. You play He-Man and can switch out his various allies at will as you travel around Eternia and help out, while a major plot line runs through the middle of the game.
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; January 12, 2011 at 07:21pm.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    He-man action-RPG, a lot like Mass Effect 2 actually. In fact, just look at that game, and try and apply the concept to MotU and all should be gravy.

I'm thrilled they sound really eager to do something with MOTU.

Here are my 10 things a He-Man game cannot be made without:

1. Include LOTS of references to the Masters of the Universe storylines.

Everything from lines ripped right out of the cartoons or live action movie, to subtle obscure references to things contained in the mini comics. It worked in Transformers: War for Cybertron, which was also worth emulating because it told a story and used voices that sounded spot on to the original Transformers cartoon cast. Don't forget appearances by random characters, objects or places that only appear in a single episode of the cartoons or the mini comic. Harp player at the bar that gets bullied in a few episodes of POP? Get that guy in there! Medalion of Serpentos? Anything from the MOTU VHS stories or audio cassettes? Bring it on! Fans will recognize the effort and appreciate you all the more for it.

2. Tell a story. Then another, and another and another.

You don't need to necassarily expand upon the Masters of the Universe continuum, more than you need to include as much of what's already there as you can. Places, people, there is already a polethra of detail crammed into this franchise and THQ can spend a lot more time than they have to produce the game just digging through all of it and trying to get it all in. If I were THQ officials trying to figure out what to focus on, I'd say it would be to study the licensing guides and the DVD special features, and to sit down and watch all of the shows and read all of the mini comics, and capture in their game's storyline the essence contained in every other MOTU story line. Identify the differences between POP storylines and MOTU storylines and find a middleground. The DVD special features contain a wonderful analysis of the shows' creators about the themes of the show, the feel of the storylines. The game would also be a good opportunity to expand on the character development of Gygor, Tytus and others who we only know bits and pieces about from their bios. How about devoting the theme of the game to fleshing out the MOTUC storyline as Mattel is envisioning it? Fighting Foe Men? Who are they? Let's play the game and find out!
    While you're giving us this grand overarching story, how about you let us step out of it and go on side adventures. Maybe comparing the live action movie to an episode of the 200x cartoon. You could even duplicate some of the storylines from every form of media, mixing the vintage and the new, giving players a sampling of MOTU history.

3. Princess of Power

What made the POP cartoon series great for me, the biggest thing, was the effort they put in integrading the POP characters and settings into the MOTU universe. They're all one big happy family, both as cartoons and now as MOTUC toys.

4. Include the fans

And in every stage of the development? But don't just look for a survey, bring in real fans to test the game, not simple Joe Blow testers. Bring the game to conventions and test it out there, but make sure the people whose feedback is weighed heaviest are the real MOTU fans. Us!

5. Let fans play as the major characters

An MMO may sound like a great idea right off the bat, but are they honestly going to let thousands of players go running around as Skeletor? No. Likely we'd all end up as Palace Guards or Shadow Beasts. People want to be Masters of the Universe, and let the grunt characters be the ones who get picked off so you can unlock more game content whether it's the next level, a dungeon, or that really cool shiny thing you've been coveting since the game told you to three levels ago.

6. Accessorize

Toys! Collectively the franshise has come up with all kinds of new gadgets, magic, clothing, and other accessories and thing for the characters to play with. Look at all of the variants of He-Man and Skeletor alone. The 200x cartoon is loaded with this stuff. Let's not forget the vintage stuff, and I don't just mean the cartoon. Remember the Cliff Climber, Jet Sled, Megalaser? Plenty of vehicles too! And yes, I want my character to be able to get into any and all of the vehicles the franchise has to offer, including Filmation style Attack Trak!

7. Let the game get more epic as it goes along.

Remember in the 200x cartoon, they kept introducing new characters and it seemed the battles got more intense until by the end you had giant battles by pretty much everyone Skeletor and the Masters could throw at each other? I say the game needs to be party based, and as you go you can meet new characters and customize your party as you see fit. You should eventually get to expand the size of your party, or have other parties join in the fun that you can perhaps customize and have those parties be controlled either by other players in multiplayer coop campaign fun or by the AI. Raise the stakes as you go, until by the end you have saved the entire planet from destruction at the hands of _____.

8. Immersion, immersion, immersion!

I want to feel like I'm in the MOTU universe, like I am the character I'm playing as, and that I am playing out a grand adventure just like in the cartooon or mini comics. I can't get that from a Mario Cart type of game. I need action, I need adventure, I need RPG. Real time battle, not turn-based. Give us people we care about, make us cry and laugh and get angry, characters we'll fall in love with and curse at.

9. Spare no expense.

There has never been a good MOTU game, ever, and those that have been made (two total?) were only there to leech off of the franchise's interest so the video game developers can fill their quotas for the year. How about some inspiring graphic talent? Breathtaking music and scenery that sucks you into a world you'd want to live in and be a part of the rest of your life.

10. Don't make MOTU your own.

This is not the time to come out with a hyper anime styled game with completely new spins on the character designs. Don't reinvent the wheel. It is already invented and it's something we love and cherish, so don't mess it up. You can be creative with what you already have. Again, there is so much left to explore in the MOTU universe, so many characters to continue in their development just by giving us more of their same charming selves. Your video game can be cheered or spat on, it's up to you. We know what we want, whether you know it or not.

WEP/Classic Media copies with Volron.

http://www.classicmedia.tv/Voltron_T...ment_Final.pdf

Heroic Nocturnal Warrior Sleeper's Avatar
    I just zoned out for about 20 minutes imagining an open world sandbox type MOTU game. Whatever they release, as long as there's a 360 version (that's all I have), I will buy it.

Imagine the collector's edition possibilities!
    *~*~PITTSBURGH STEELERS~*~*
    *6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS*
    1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008

Well, a new edition of E3 is about to start...

I wonder if THQ will release news about their Masters of the Universe video game...
    It's a bit early of course...
    Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!