Thread: Snake Mountain repairs..

Snake Mountain repairs..

both shackles are snapped off at the base.. I still have the original pegs.. superglue doesn't seem to work very well.. any ideas?

a peg on the female bridge piece snapped off and I can't find it.. any suggestions other than the obvious of buying a whole new piece?

thanks
    Last edited by Obbie; February 1, 2011 at 11:49am. Reason: provided photos

I think photos would help to determine the damage and possible fixes. That should help.

what I did and like a lot better vs the original way, is to stick the chain piece in the hole all the way from the front of Snake Mountain and on the inside of Snake Mountain at the end piece of the chain, either wrap some tape around or some green stuff/sculpy etc. that's thick enough so the chain cannot be fully pulled out again from the front. Remember to only put the tape or sculpy at the end tip of the chain.

The chain will only be a little shorter, and you will now have the ability to retract the chain where the shackles are only visible when there are no prisoners on that ledge. I think it adds more playability and it looks neat. Finding intact chains is difficult and they don't come cheap that's why I like this solution a lot
    MOTU CLASSICS WANTS: Songster, Kittrina, Illumina, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Drissi, Caz Spritina, Sprag, Sprocker, Hunga the Harpy, Green Reptile Mask of Power Demon, Purple Wolf Mask of Power Demon, Lizorr, Hoove, Butthead, Staghorn, Colonel Blast, Monster Riders of Morc
    FILMATION: Battle Cat, Ram Man, Stratos Whiplash
    =>MOTU-Classics-Checklist

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    im in the same boat . a year later and im still looking for ways to fix it . the plastic is very brittle theirs noting you can do to fix it , you just need to replace it with something smiler

Heroic Warrior
    JB weld may work. I don't know how it would react to the plastic, but I think it should be fine, just test it first. It dries as hard as cement. Seriously, it's amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    JB weld may work. I don't know how it would react to the plastic, but I think it should be fine, just test it first. It dries as hard as cement. Seriously, it's amazing!
    I have some JBweld on my glasses right now.. I may give that a shot!

Try pinning it, then gluing it.

Fixing Snake Mountain plastic pieces

So, I purchased a Snake Mountain recently (my first) without really taking a close look at it. I got a bag full of parts, but it looks like the plastic on a lot of them is broken. The ladder is in 3 pieces, the shackles are broken off the posts, etc.

Does anyone know of a good way to fix these pieces, or am I pretty much stuck trying to find replacements?

- - - Updated - - -

Found this old thread, but no one has ant concrete answers, if you know a better way please let me know: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?203642-Snake-Mountain-repairs

I haven't fixed anything like this specifically, but I've had success with Krazy glue. It works well on plastic, and if you get the one with the pen tip it's more precise for those tiny pieces. Good luck!

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    The best glue I've found is JB Weld. You gotta mix it, and it comes out grey, but it really is the best thing I've used on MOTU pieces.

Just a quick update: I did some Googling for plastic repair, and found this stuff on Amazon. It's called "SureHold Plastic Surgery Super Gel." It's the best blue for PVC type plastics I've ever worked with. Regular super glue doesn't hold PVC type plastic together, but this does. I haven't play tested the pieces yet, so I can't speak for durability, but it seems to be pretty good so far.

Widget

Silicone tubing

Hi all,
    it's an old thread but I just finished a restoration of a Snake Mountain and used a silicone tube + glue (inside the tube) for the shackles. In this case there is a much larger surface for the glue.
    Pictures:
    https://imgur.com/XU3NBIZ
    https://imgur.com/VN3puyL

Heroic Warrior
    Barbarossa Customs has the shackles/chains on eBay recast in a durable, bendy rubber similar to vintage TMNT accessories. He does a lot of customs in that type of material.

Iím expecting some rubbery 3D printed replacement chains in the mail today from an Etsy seller. These chains have links and are long enough to have some slack and the bands are rubbery to allow for bigger figures.

I have a fully intact bridge but if mine ever breaks, I plan to 3D model the bridge as fewer pieces and see if someone will cast it.

Toy Polloi on YouTube has a great fix for those wrist restraints; you can see it here. However, it is more of a modification than a fix. Basically, you purchase two LEGO chains like these. They have the nice round piece at the end of the chains which you can easily fix on to the ends of your broken restraints. In the video, Toy Polloi made his own wrist restraint by modifying a toy ring, but because my original restraints were broken, I am using both ends of those. I started the little project today:

IMG_5527.jpg

I used a strong adhesive that immediately holds the two together. Then, I carefully dribbled in some regular super-glue that is runnier, into the hole of the LEGO chain end piece, filling the cavity up. Because I am not a rough-handed kid anymore and will not be rough-housing with it, I am sure it will hold it like a rock.

You can get those LEGO chains in various lengths and colours. You can get them in grey, but the shade is a little lighter than the original. Though, a quick spray-paint can fix that if it is of concern. I know purists may not like this being non-original pieces and for display purposes, fixing the original is more desirable. I wanted something that looks good but is also usable, so I was happy to try this. Just thought I would share in case others were looking for a potential solution to this common problem and had not stumbled across Toy Polloi's video, so I am not taking credit for this idea.

If you go to Toy Polloi's YouTube channel and search his videos, he covers this type of repair in the Snake Mountain Resto series. I forget which part he does it but he repairs the original chains, not the one where he replaces them with loose chain.

As per my previous post, I made my own custom wrist-restraints, which I love. However, I found a seller on Etsy who makes the wrist-restraints in the same casting, colour and everything like the originals except they are moulded with a curve:

wrist-restraints.jpg

I think these are the perfect compromise between the original article, practicality and durability. Thought I would share in case they tickle someone else's fancy as they did and do mine, capiche?!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Obbie View Post
    both shackles are snapped off at the base.. I still have the original pegs.. superglue doesn't seem to work very well.. any ideas?

a peg on the female bridge piece snapped off and I can't find it.. any suggestions other than the obvious of buying a whole new piece?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=11965
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=11966
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=11967

thanks
    to sculpt a new peg use Greenstuff. It is a two part plastic resin that slowly hardens when mixed. Tabletop gamers use it to customize D&D miniatures or sculpt their own. Find it online or in game stores that sell D&D or Warhammer. You can create and carve like clay then it hardens and is ready for paint. I used it to sculpt a whole new foot and beak tip on a Big Jim Bald Eagle (same mold as screech and zoar) and once painted very hard to tell it was even repaired. Anything you want to play with and not just look at use Greenstuff.For display only pieces JB weld is good glue for thin plastic like armor, weapons, and accessories.

That said, If the parts are relatively cheap I usually just buy the part rather than attempt time consuming repairs. I prefer original toys rather than rebuilt, but sometimes you have no choice but to repair.