Thread: Will Mattel Be As "Faithful" With A New MOTU Movie As They Were In The 1980's?

Will Mattel Be As "Faithful" With A New MOTU Movie As They Were In The 1980's?

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of the 1987 Masters Of The Universe movie. It's not my favorite movie ever nor is it everything I wanted from a MOTU movie(I really wish Battle Cat was in it), but I still love it. It was fun, Frank Langella's Skeletor is probably tied with Terence Stamp's General Zod for my favorite live action "comic book villain", and the score is one of my favorites not made by John Williams.

As much of a bad rap as it gets from both MOTU fans & non-fans, it stayed pretty true to Masters Of The Universe. Sure, the costumes were changed & characters were left out, but nothing in it really contradicts any of MOTU's traditional canon or characterizations. Mattel even made sure that not only did He-Man not kill anyone, none of the franchise's characters died(which is why we got Saurod & Skeletor's stormtroopers). When you compare it to most of the movies spawned from toys & comic books, the movie looks even more faithful. After the various leaks & rumors that have come out during MOTU's long journey to possibly returning to the big screen, it scares me that the people in charge at Mattel today might not care as much about remaining true to MOTU as those who worked for the company seemed to in the 80's. While there is always the excuse that some things in a comic may not translate well to live action, I feel that, besides the fact that MOTU takes place on another planet, it is a lot farther from our reality than most super hero movies. I really don't think a lot of changes are necessary.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

There will have to be changes, simply because He-Man's iconography, barbarian fantasy, is dead. I don't see anyone talking about the new Conan movie, and he's much bigger than He-Man.
    Also Eternia is filled with people running around with swords, axes, spears, guns... If no one gets hurt, if no one dies, I can't see the audiences taking the movie seriously.

Personally I think modeling the MOTU movie on the LOTR trilogy is the way to go.
    The 4 original mini-comics, the DC Comics mini series and the toy package paintings should be used as the primary source material.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Avatar was unbelievable and believable at the same time. Go figure. Give MOTU the same treatment. Go with the wild character designs and all, present it to the audience that way right the off the bat. That way they know it’s a fantasy. Then give your characters some sort of depth. Layers if you will? I’m so sick of the "It's got to be real”treatment. Why would I spend $30 dollars (2 tickets 1 Med. popcorn and a box of chocolate covered raisins. Oh …and a partridge in a pear tree.) at a theater for "Real" when I could look out of a bedroom window for free? Give me all the zany and over the top MOTU I can get. Trust me I’ve got enough "Real" world issues as it is. "Winning. Duh"
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    I’m so sick of the "It's got to be real”treatment.
    You & me both!!!

I don't know if society has changed that much or if it's just due to the typical Hollywood producers who feel they know better than anyone on how to "fix" any popular franchise and what is "best" for the "stupid" people who go to the movies. I miss the sense of fun that seemed to permeate most entertainment in the 80's. Everything now needs to be made "edgy" & "realistic" and anything fantastic either needs to be explained or dulled down.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    You & me both!!!

I don't know if society has changed that much or if it's just due to the typical Hollywood producers who feel they know better than anyone on how to "fix" any popular franchise and what is "best" for the "stupid" people who go to the movies. I miss the sense of fun that seemed to permeate most entertainment in the 80's. Everything now needs to be made "edgy" & "realistic" and anything fantastic either needs to be explained or dulled down.
    Avatar as fantastical as it was, had a real world message at the heart of the movie.
    It was about how, through out history, "civilized men" came and stole and took advantage the land of "barbarians". For all the bright colors and fantasy, there was a political commentary in there.
    Lord Of The Rings had The One Ring, which was a commentary on how absolute power corrupts, and how even the most innocent of souls falls to the temptation of absolute power.
    The X-Men are a commentary on minorities and their villains aren't mere stereotypical evil villains.

That's what audiences want today. They want, no they HAVE to see real world problems. Due to the constant world problems and twisting of ideals, it has become impossible for audiences to blindly accept a fairy tale world of noble heroes and vile villains, where good always triumphs over evil.
    They want to see stories where the line between heroes and villains is blurred, where heroes aren't inherently heroic and villains aren't inherently evil.
    Times change, and tastes change along with them.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    Avatar as fantastical as it was, had a real world message at the heart of the movie.
    It was about how, through out history, "civilized men" came and stole and took advantage the land of "barbarians". For all the bright colors and fantasy, there was a political commentary in there.
    Lord Of The Rings had The One Ring, which was a commentary on how absolute power corrupts, and how even the most innocent of souls falls to the temptation of absolute power.
    The X-Men are a commentary on minorities and their villains aren't mere stereotypical evil villains.

That's what audiences want today. They want, no they HAVE to see real world problems. Due to the constant world problems and twisting of ideals, it has become impossible for audiences to blindly accept a fairy tale world of noble heroes and vile villains, where good always triumphs over evil.
    They want to see stories where the line between heroes and villains is blurred, where heroes aren't inherently heroic and villains aren't inherently evil.
    Times change, and tastes change along with them.
    I think you are reaching with those examples. 2 of them are based on stories from the 50's & 60's and the other was popular due to the cgi. Transformers 2 was extremely popular and I doubt it had anything to do with the plight of the minority in America. You may be right that tastes have changed but I don't think any of those examples were screaming "real world issues" to the average movie viewer. Also, every single movie about the war in Iraq or 9-11 has bombed at the box office(at least in America).

JOIN THE GROUP...

I think you are reaching with those examples. 2 of them are based on stories from the 50's & 60's and the other was popular due to the cgi. Transformers 2 was extremely popular and I doubt it had anything to do with the plight of the minority in America. You may be right that tastes have changed but I don't think any of those examples were screaming "real world issues" to the average movie viewer. Also, every single movie about the war in Iraq or 9-11 has bombed at the box office(at least in America).
    Damn Skippy. When and if they make a MOTU movie I hope they throw all caution to the wind. Since Eternia is Unreal, than take that approach. I go to the movies for an escape, adventure. If Mattel is looking to promote toys, who better to appreciate the unreal aspect of Eternia? Umm let think. Kids? I want the Good vs. Evil story. Make it look cool and LEAVE IT ALONE. Bring life to the character and let grow from there.If you start making sense out of non sense you’re doomed.Do you know why I never asked why Skeletor's skin is blue? Because I DIDNT CARE. IT WAS COOL !.Leave it alone. It's not by chance that Motu has the following that it does (big or small). Its because there is something that has stuck with us for 20,25 soon to be 30 yrs. Life can be a drag, So give me a movie that’s the most unrealistic movie possible. I promise I won't act out in "REAL" life.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    In my honest opinion, I'd rather a new live action MOTU film NOT happen. I've tooted that horn for all of these years because I have the worst feeling that today's morons and dinks who write in hollywood today have thus far had the uncanny ability to butcher all sorts of character properties and soap them up for today's audience of twilight induced saps.

Why else does it sound like Mattel keeps putting the script through constant re-writes??
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    There will have to be changes, simply because He-Man's iconography, barbarian fantasy, is dead. I don't see anyone talking about the new Conan movie, and he's much bigger than He-Man.
    Also Eternia is filled with people running around with swords, axes, spears, guns... If no one gets hurt, if no one dies, I can't see the audiences taking the movie seriously.

Personally I think modeling the MOTU movie on the LOTR trilogy is the way to go.
    The 4 original mini-comics, the DC Comics mini series and the toy package paintings should be used as the primary source material.
    Medieval Fantasy was pretty much dead in film when Lord of the Rings came out, it's called bringing it back to life. In fact there wasn't a big explosion of Medieval 'high' fantasy movies that came out after Lord of the Rings.

I look at Hercules the Legendary Journeys and Xena (I have been rewatching both lately) and I see a decent model of He-man that still retains the goofiness. But even at the time other shows like Sinbad, Conan, and many others tried to start up and failed fairly quickly most not even making it to a second season.

Point is just copying Lord of the Rings is going to guarantee success, making it all serious isn't going to guarantee success. Heck the fact that we all can point out the flaws in the Transformers films shows that even a less than perfect movie can live up to it's hype (which granted most of that was OMG BIG ROBOTS MAKE BOOOOOOOOM).

Also with Conan, I just found out it was supposed to come out this year. I haven't seen any TV spots from it so that might not be a fan issue it might be more of a production company issue. In fact the only thing I find on youtube is a slideshow of released pictures from set and the movie comes out in August.

----
    About faithful
    As you said the first movie was faithful, but faithful is one of those terms I tend to not like when it's thrown around in this context. I think as has been pointed out many times, there is a lot to be faithful about with He-man that some quite bluntly contradicts other stuff.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

i want a LOTR style, I see the images of this comic and I say yeeees I want that to motu, simply epic

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Also with Conan, I just found out it was supposed to come out this year. I haven't seen any TV spots from it so that might not be a fan issue it might be more of a production company issue. In fact the only thing I find on youtube is a slideshow of released pictures from set and the movie comes out in August.
    This sort of "teaser" trailer for Conan has been released:

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/88...-the-new-conan

I have seen it from the post in the general forums, thanks .
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Hate the original Masters of the Universe movie to no end..sorry, but if the new movie goes in that direction im going to vomit..

Budget and limits in technology were the major obstacles in the 80s. It could have been done then, but it would have been very expensive and risky. Now, though, technology is at a stage when a MOTU film entirely set on Eternia with other creatures and vehicles and so forth is no longer an issue, even on a moderate budget.

Mattel will be "faithful" to whatever they believe will make the most money, while being "clean" enough not to violate their "corporate values" (re: Barbie).
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

You & me both!!!

And I agree with both of you! MOTU is first and foremost FANTASY. I don't NEED every little thing to make sense. This is a world with Skull faced bodybuilders, barbarians, fish men and bee people, castles and spaceships, wizards and laser guns. Make it big, colorful, and EPIC. The problem with so many movies today, they try to cater to fans, instead of being original and CREATING fans.
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mikieson View Post
    Hate the original Masters of the Universe movie to no end..sorry, but if the new movie goes in that direction im going to vomit..
    I TOTALLY AGREE. The original Masters of the Universe Movie was the biggest dissapointment of my childhood life. If its anything like the first one I won't even go. They need to right a wrong and make this an epic movie with all the characters!!

Count me as one of those who were not quite satisfied with the 1987 movie. After seeing the Starlog magazine that had all of the concept images I was a really hyped to see the movie. I just hope they can have a nice mix of Narnia and LOTR with a Conan-esque blonde man swinging, and using, a sword and I'll be happy.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…