Thread: TRI-KLOPS in the 1987 Film

TRI-KLOPS in the 1987 Film

As much as I enjoy the 1987 film, it irritates me how easy it would've been for them to make that okay film into a great one. And I'm not talking about the kind of changes that would make it better for fans while alienating the casual viewer or anything like that.

Here's my latest example. With some minor adjustments to the incredibly cool, yet unfamiliar character, BLADE's costume, we could've had a character that was every bit as cool, but also already popular with fans, TRI-KLOPS. Anthony De Longis wouldn't have even needed to change anything about his performance, his behavior fit TRI-KLOPS just fine.

So all I did was add the visor that I was commissioned to build, changed the color of his Pauldrons to green, his bracers to copper, and his pants to gray, and he looks pretty much like the 200X repaint of TRI-KLOPS. What do you think?

Put Jason Statham in this costume and he would BE TRI-KLOPS.
    Last edited by Vahn; May 10, 2011 at 05:37am.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Totally not a fan of the 1987 movie, but I might have liked the movie better if they had included more real chacters instead of making up new ones. Tri-Klops is one of my favorite MOTU characters and would have been a definite bonus. Great job!
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

I was a fan of the movie.. Still am.. This Triklops element would have been great...

Off point comment**:
    Masters of the universe the movie was far superior to the horrid trainwreck of the super mario bros movie... The are both visually as lame, but I think motu could have been far worse.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'm glad we got Blade tbh, a master swordsman - Tri-Klops is different - and now I prefer him as a bounty hunter/scientest

I think Blade was meant to be Tri-Klops, I have always thought that. Just as that Gwilder was really Orko.

Court Magician
    That looks awesome! The movie definitely would have benefitted from having more real MOTU characters...

BUT THEN WE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD BLADE!!! ...

just kidding - obviously i'm a huge blade fan and a huge movie fan ...

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I think Blade was meant to be Tri-Klops, I have always thought that. Just as that Gwilder was really Orko.
    based on that - do you think that, due to the simple hooked-hand feature, that karg was loosely based on trap-jaw? ... i use the term loosely with emphasis! ... i guess it's a definite similarity, and could have crossed the writers minds ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

KARG being based on TRAPJAW is something that's been brought up by fans here, and I think it may have been that way, although I've never heard it confirmed by any official sources.

It wouldn't surprise me if during development, the designers took some of the characters from the toyline and altered them (we saw how drastic some of the changes were even with the ones that kept the same names), and kept redesigning them until they decided that it would just be better to make them into new characters.

That said I also would've preferred an altered TRAPJAW to that lame weirdo KARG. They could've just painted KARG's mask green, given him the familiar red helmet (getting rid of that awful hair-band wig) and added some red accents to the costume (like the Filmation TRAPJAW), a green pirate weightlifting belt, and some plates on the arm to make it look robotic. none of this would've cost any more than the costume they gave him.

I may have to do a Photoshop of this idea, but I'll have to make a better version of the helmet and arm that I have first.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!

Macduff, Scotland. United Kingdom of Eternia.
    I've thought that too, Blade is a cracking character, but would have preferred Tri-Klops.

Gary Goddard says in the commentary that Orko would have been in had the technology been available at the time.

I get a bit of a chuckle looking at this picture. I interviewed Anthony DeLongis a few months ago for He-Man.org and www.motumovie.com. When asked, DeLongis said that he would love to be in the new MOTU movie, either as Blade or as a different character like Tri-Klops.

Here is an excerpt from interview:

DeLongis: "...In a heartbeat. I've got 38 years as a working professional on both sides of the camera to bring to the new project. I'd love to contribute to the success of a new MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE film as an actor, fight director, action choreographer or voice over artist. I'd be most appreciative if you fans wanted to spear head a write in campaign to have me return. I'd love to play a part like Tri-Klops..."
    For a character like Tri-Klops who has to wear head gear that could be prohibitive for an actor, you would definitley want someone in the costume who could handle a sword. Anthony would definitely be a good choice for the role.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; May 9, 2011 at 09:32am.

That's a great interview, Captain! Thanks for bringing it up. I love that Mr. De Longis seems pretty excited about the new movie and wants to work on it. I'm glad someone let him know that his character was the most popular new one in the film.

As far as him playing TRI-KLOPS, I think he'd be great, but for me, Jason Statham just IS TRI-KLOPS. And at 61, I think Mr. De Longis would be much better playing a more grizzled BLADE; maybe BLADE could be the sword master that trained TRI-KLOPS (or even SKELETOR, since he's the only other dual-wielding character). I loved BLADE, and if we saw a return of any of the film-original characters, it should be him, and I don't want to see anyone else play him!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I get a bit of a chuckle looking at this picture. I interviewed Anthony DeLongis a few months ago for He-Man.org and www.motumovie.com. When asked, DeLongis said that he would love to be in the new MOTU movie, either as Blade or as a different character like Tri-Klops ... For a character like Tri-Klops who has to wear head gear that could be prohibitive for an actor, you would definitley want someone in the costume who could handle a sword. Anthony would definitely be a good choice for the role.
    on a side note - that interview was awesome! ...

agreeably, if any of the 'original' characters (i.e. created for the movie) were to come back for the new movie - blade would seem the most logical and certainly my top-pick ... he could fit into any story-line easily ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by Vahn View Post
    That's a great interview, Captain! Thanks for bringing it up. I love that Mr. De Longis seems pretty excited about the new movie and wants to work on it. I'm glad someone let him know that his character was the most popular new one in the film.

As far as him playing TRI-KLOPS, I think he'd be great, but for me, Jason Statham just IS TRI-KLOPS. And at 61, I think Mr. De Longis would be much better playing a more grizzled BLADE; maybe BLADE could be the sword master that trained TRI-KLOPS (or even SKELETOR, since he's the only other dual-wielding character). I loved BLADE, and if we saw a return of any of the film-original characters, it should be him, and I don't want to see anyone else play him!
    Anthony is 61, but he is a very young 61 years old. He is in amazingly good shape and is still active in film and television. Depending on how they cast... if Tri-Klops is as old as Randor and Keldor I think the casting would be fine. Depends if they use parts of the MYP storyline at all. No mater who they cast in the role of Tri-Klops, I think it's important that they have some skill with a sword.

As for Jason Stratham, I think he would be great as Tri-Klops, but it will likely never happen. Stratham is one of the biggest action stars on the planet now. His salary demands would be to high and he would expect top billing. Unless they made Tri-Klops one of the lead characters, I can't see it happening. You would have a better chance of Stratham playing Keldor/Skeletor.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; May 10, 2011 at 11:32am.

Honestly I can't imagine TRI-KLOPS not being a lead character. He, SKELETOR and LYN are the main bad guys, not to mention the most developed and interesting with the most story potential.

I'd say the same on the good guys side for ADAM, MAN-AT-ARMS, and TEELA. (I say ADAM not HE-MAN because the pampered Prince who's never seen combat being thrust into the role of defender of the kingdom is a good way to tell his story, with HE-MAN just being an aspect of him, or like a job he has to do)

As long as we're talking about casting, RANDOR must be played by Dolph Lundgren. Have you seen how awesome he looks now that he's more grizzled!? I'm still mad that he didn't play Odin in the Thor movie. Seriously, who could've been more perfect? He's big, intimidating, Swedish, and he looks amazing!

But I digress, no matter what role he plays, I think Anthony De Longis at least has to train whoever plays BEAST MAN with the whip.

Gwildor is clearly an Orko substitute and, along with the presence of the Sorceress, disproves the theory that the movie spent about five years being developed and is therefore an interpretation of the minicomics' early mythos.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

I believe it was said that part of the reason they had some new bad guys was because the filmakers wanted to be able to kill off some characters if they saw fit to. They weren't allowed to do that with the pre-existing characters. Saurod gets killed on screen and there is a decent chance Blade plummeted to his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I believe it was said that part of the reason they had some new bad guys was because the filmakers wanted to be able to kill off some characters if they saw fit to. They weren't allowed to do that with the pre-existing characters. Saurod gets killed on screen and there is a decent chance Blade plummeted to his death.
    As we all saw at the end of the film, Skeletor was alive in well in the watery pool at the bottom of the energy shaft. We never see Blade fall down the shaft, but if he did, there is good chance he would have survived just like Skeletor did. The only character whose death was confirmed by the Director was Saurod.

Honestly I can't imagine TRI-KLOPS not being a lead character. He, SKELETOR and LYN are the main bad guys, not to mention the most developed and interesting with the most story potential.
    But that's just it... Tri-Klops has always been a secondary character in the cartoons. If this were a Star Wars film, he would be Boba Fett. The main bad guys in the cartoon were Skeletor and Evil-Lyn. Tri-Klops would be #3 in the hierarchy of the Evil Warriors, but he still falls in with Beastman, Trap-Jaw, and Mer-Man as the principal secondary characters. So chances are, a film like MOTU would not cast A-List actors in the secondary roles. Of course, they could turn Tri-Klops into a major player in the film, but based on past media, I don't see it happening.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; May 11, 2011 at 03:45pm.

Triklops

I can't imagine Jason Statham playing Triklops, I think the English accent would be all wrong. But the other thing that bothers me about Statham is that he's become very much like Steven Segal, spits out a new B grade movie every week, in which every fight he barely breaks a sweat or gets a hit on him. I find those types of guys in movies tiresome, the ones who take a beating but still win in the end, are much more enjoyable and believable to watch. That being said I agree Statham with training would have the right stature and physique to play Triklops
    End of an era/error.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    As we all saw at the end of the film, Skeletor was alive in wall in the watery pool at the bottom of the energy shaft. We never see Blade fall down the shaft, but if he did, there is good chance he would have survived just like Skeletor did. The only character whose death was confirmed by the Director was Saurod
    the light-burst we see when skeletor falls down the energy shaft at the end of the film (akin to emperor palatines demise in ROTJ) always implied to me that he had perished - the light-burst signifying his end ... so it always confused me when we saw his head pop up from the water pool at the end! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    that's a pretty reasonable theory to have, i guess people wouldn't want to buy the action-figures if they thought the main characters were ''dead'' when they saw the movie ...

i like to think blade survived though ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; May 11, 2011 at 04:58am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

USE YOUR ILLUSION