Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ted Mayer Tomarts Concept Witch for MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Sure, why not? As long as she's a giant and married to Megator...
    Hmm... that's not a terrible idea... NOT the married-to-Megator part, that's awful , but the giant part is interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think it'd be cool if they combined the concept characters into a subset of the Horde.

Here's my idea:

The Horde is losing it's grip on Etheria. Desperate to maintain control, Hordak journey's deep into the bowels of the Fright Zone to recover the Darkthrall Box, an artifact of such immense power and evil that even he was wary of using it. Hordak opens the box and unleashes it's awful power - it reaches out into the minds of the populace of Etheria and makes their worst nightmares come true! Thus is born the Fright Force! Grotescary! Wrap Trap! Sultress! Horrorsaur! Beings who are made of the stuff of nightmares. They join Hordak in his cause... but only as a means to an end. Their true loyalties lie elsewhere...
    I like this - and I like the four characters you chose... I just think that maybe they'd be better as "The Fighting Foe Men."

Toyguru has hinted a few times, when asked about the FFM, that they could be coming... he also mentioned that putting the FFM into the bios was his "clever" way of getting the "fans" to demand new characters.

Though, they did say "no new characters," the CONCEPT characters are obviously ok.

I would not be surprised if a bunch of the concept characters were being developed for a "Fighting Foe Men" multi-pack for the 30th Anniversary.

THOUGH, Penny, you, and the rest of us that want her, are going to have to clamor LOUDLY for her to be included. TG planned out that Legion of Superheroes 12-pack for DCUC and even though there are MANY awesome LOSH females, only ONE made it into the 12-pack.

And, I'll say it again, she HAS to come with some sort of witch-hat.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

I am adding my voice to the call for the Sultress (with her witches hat) to made for MOTUC. She along with Hera (brunette Bkini She-Ra), King Hiss's Slave Girl and the Wizardess would all make fantastic figures. I really like the idea of the Sultress being one of the Fighting Foe men.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

The image on the right might fit, but green skinned large hatted version is just too closely from Wizard of Oz and doesn't really feel like part of Masters of the Universe to me. Then again what has been made as part of the Masters of the Universe in the past isn't entirely consistent in style...

Personally green skinned version is an easy pass.

I'd be down for the 4H's interpretation of The Sultress. I'm sure they could do wonders with her to make her fit into MOTUC.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Hmm... that's not a terrible idea... NOT the married-to-Megator part, that's awful , but the giant part is interesting...
    Come on, Dukester. The married part is a stroke of genius (because I am a genius). She's married to Megator, he gets killed then she joins her magic with Hordak's, who promises to bring back her husband, and BLAMMO! Instant zombie husband complete with receding hairline and ale-chugging action (to replace his kicking action)!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar

I like this - and I like the four characters you chose... I just think that maybe they'd be better as "The Fighting Foe Men."

Toyguru has hinted a few times, when asked about the FFM, that they could be coming... he also mentioned that putting the FFM
    into the bios was his "clever" way of getting the "fans" to demand new characters.

Though, they did say "no new characters," the CONCEPT characters are obviously ok.

well, i think there are 'nuff concept characters for 2 evil groups:

the "fighting foe man" led by demo man;

the "legion of horror" (or "fright force") led by sultress (with her hat,
    of course, as a symbol of command! ), and could be formed by
    "horde" concept characters, as someone already suggested.

I would not be surprised if a bunch of the concept characters were being developed for a "Fighting Foe Men" multi-pack for the
    30th Anniversary.
    this would be awesome!

I don't really care for the female heroes, I think they're pretty lame. but I do however enjoy the female villains. I would def buy that character is she ever came out.
    bnl4life

Just my .02

Wow, so many opinions and creative discussion! There seems to be a lot of interest in the concept of having more magical characters incorporated into the MOTU mythos. I love it!

This type of character is near and dear to my heart as well! Those who have read through some of my posts are aware that I was not allowed MOTU anything in my home as a child. I had to walk over to my next-door neighbor's house to watch Filmation's He-Man and play with the original toys. It wasn't because my parents couldn't afford the toys -they simply refused to buy them for me or allow them in the house. Their extreme version of Christian teaching couldn’t allow a show with overt references to demons, conjuring spells, and characters with names like, the "Sorceress". Bet you can guess who my favorite character is.

The point is, it was their ignorance that drove me to find out why they thought magic, witches and spells were so wrong. Though I'm agnostic, I have strong sympathies for the Pagan/Wicca community. Over the years they have been lovely enough to welcome me to countless rituals and events. They are a wonderful group of peaceful, earth-loving people who are often misrepresented and wrongly stereotyped by both the media (because it sells) and the ignorant of society.

For this reason, I’m not sure I can stomach another, "naughty witch with green skin" celebrated as "evil".
    With characters like Castaspella and the Sorceress, I had hoped MOTU fans would be more enlightened than most. Don’t like the good concept? Fine, make her neutral.

For all who love Halloween, I give you a gift. A dear friend of mine sends this to me every October.

The Halloween Witch

Each year they parade her about, the traditional Halloween witch. Misshapen green face, stingy scraps of hair, a toothless mouth beneath her deformed nose. Gnarled, knobby fingers twisted into a claw protracting from a bent and twisted torso that lurches about on wobbly legs.

Most think this abject image to be the creation of a prejudiced mind or merely a Halloween caricature. I disagree, for I believe this is how witches were really seen.

Consider most witches, who were women, were abducted in the night and smuggled into dungeons or prisons under the secrecy of darkness only to be presented by the light of day as a confessed witch.

Few, if any, saw a frightened, normal looking woman being dragged into a secret room filled with instruments of torture, to be questioned until she confessed to anything suggested to her and to give names of fellow witches. Anything to stop the questions. Crowds saw the aberration denounced to the world as a self proclaimed witch.

As the witch was paraded through town en route to be burned, hanged, drowned, stoned or disposed of in various other forms of Christian love, all created to free and save her soul from her depraved body. The jeering crowds viewed the results of hours of torture.

The face bruised and broken by countless blows bore a hue of sickly green. The once warm and loving smile gone, replaced by a grimace of broken teeth and torn gums that now leers from beneath a battered, disfigured nose. The disheveled hair conceals bleeding gaps of torn scalp from whence cruel hands had torn away the lovely tresses. Broken, twisted hands clutched the wagon for support, fractured fingers with nails torn away, locked like groping claws to steady her broken body.

All semblance of humanity gone, this was truly a demon, a bride of Satan, a witch.

I revere this Halloween Crone and hold her sacred above all. I honor her courage and listen to her warning of the dark side of man. Each year I shed tears of respect when the mundane exhibit their symbol of Christian love.

Good luck with the concept presentation at SDCC! Please keep us updated on the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    For this reason, I’m not sure I can stomach another, "naughty witch with green skin" celebrated as "evil".
    With characters like Castaspella and the Sorceress, I had hoped MOTU fans would be more enlightened than most. Don’t like the good concept? Fine, make her neutral.
    Gracie, stuff about wicca and stereotypes may belong in the Tar Swamp. But as for the appropriateness of her being evil, there are tons of good sorceresses in MOTU and PoP. There should be no pressure then to not add another evil one.

I would love this character. A straight up MOTUC witch would be awesome. I'll buy two of her in heartbeat!
    END OF LINE

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Since shadow weaver had green skin, maybe this could be her before some spell went wrong, burning her horribly. Hence y she covers all her body in a red cloak
    I like your idea here, but every time I see a picture of this green witch I think of "Wizard of Oz."

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    THOUGH, Penny, you, and the rest of us that want her, are going to have to clamor LOUDLY for her to be included.
    I made sure to announce it in the podcast this morning! The green concept witch will rise, much like the witch Princess Asa did in the film Black Sunday! Matty, listen closely if you do not wish to suffer a gruesome fate at the hands of the LEGION OF HORROR!!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I made sure to announce it in the podcast this morning! The green concept witch will rise, much like the witch Princess Asa did in the film Black Sunday! Matty, listen closely if you do not wish to suffer a gruesome fate at the hands of the LEGION OF HORROR!!
    I love Black Sunday.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    [QUOTE=

...As a 1st-degree initiated Wiccan practicioner, I honestly find no offense in this at all! I can certainly appreciate the sensitivity & defensiveness of the concept, but it's really just a fantasy-concept, based on another world to boot! I'd buy it for sure!

I suppose it was inevitable that I would post this sooner or later.

Remember Tomarts #89 had a couple of Ted Mayer illustrations for a concept witch in the vintage MOTU (see my avatar)? Methinks one of the versions of her would be cool in MOTUC!

Yeah I know we have Evil-Lyn, but maybe this could be one of her old "coven" members!

Imagine a MOTU 'Legion of Horror' with the concept witch, the Horde mummy, Scare Glow and zombie Megator?! You know you want it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...-5_smaller.jpg

I must say, that after reviewing the pics... I really love the second concept drawing better than the Halloween witch.

Lots of potential here!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Hmmm, I don't know about this one. Looks too much like one of those crappy 5 dollar made-in-China Halloween costumes you'd see at Walmart or something. I think it would take the 4H's full abilities to inject this design with the "cool" that it needs, but hey, if they pull it off, I'm in

Hi Gracie! I respect everyone's beliefs as long as they are not hurting anyone or being hateful to others, and I have many great Wiccan/pagan friends to (pointy) boot. However, the witch as a folkloric figure is just as much an archetype in horror and fantasy as the vampire, the werewolf and the zombie. The malevolent witch is one of the big players in the terror and fantasy pantheon. No offense to anyone. I am not referring to Wicca at all with the above. Plus, there aren't enough girl monsters so the witch and the Bride of Frankie are where it's at!

I understand about the green, cackling crone stereotype/cliche (a big reason I didn't go for that angle in my horror host persona) but I dig this particular Ted Mayer concept a lot. Another evil, powerful witch in MOTU? Yes please! BUT I'm totally fine with it if she's another powerful good witch too. It's just I can picture her being baaaaaad. Maybe not as bad as Evil-Lyn or Shadow Weaver mind you, but still a meanie. Either way - just as long as they eventually make the figure!

PS - I meant to mention this in another post but "MOTU it be" is brilliant!! LOL!

Just a few mockups of the second drawing

Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

Gracie: In fairness, not every modern-day Witch is a "good" Witch like many new-age Wiccans claim. Even though some of its traditions are based on ancient practices, Wicca is all of 60 or so years old. There are some Witches that follow what is known as the "Left Hand Path". If someone is Wiccan, technically they're not even supposed to claim it as a religion according to the laws, however, tons of folks do so and call it 'being eclectic.'

I don't want to get too much into all this stuff but Tally, you are correct. I've been approached by some of the left hand path folks since starting my show and have some viewers in that department as well. Anyway, this is veering into Tar Swamp territory so I suggest we focus on the topic at hand - THE AWESOME CONCEPT WITCH!

Okay guys and gals, so I asked my buddy and talented artiste Frankie B. Washington if he could draw up some sketches. Frankie has worked on the Marvel Upper Deck art cards, the upcoming 'Penny Dreadful's Cauldron of Terror' comic, and many other cool projects. He was kind enough to create and color these great images!

Here are a couple. I'll post the rest in the fan art forum!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    OMG! How cool!!! I just checked out Frankie's site and he has a very Kirby feel to his art. Very nice!
    Last edited by Jon-O; June 20, 2011 at 02:02pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

While I was going to let what was only an opinion remain so, some apparently feel the need to keep it going and call me out. Out of fairness, I must respond or defend my own opinion before some of you decide to throw me in the Tar Swamp with a bag of feathers or label me a petulant child.

The post was entitled my “.02”. Pardon me if it was not clear enough, perhaps I should have added IMOs and smile emoticons after every sentence. Opinions are like noses -everyone has them. Some stand out more than others, but cutting off the nose to spite the face only squelches free speech on the forums. IMO

Danielle, no offense intended. If you felt that the opinion was hurtful, hateful, or directly aimed at you then you certainly have my apologies. That was not the intent, I was merely voicing my opinion. Good for you for finding an idea that you like and running with it. I personally don’t care for the idea, but that is only my opinion.
    The lengths that Val and crew have gone to promote this franchise certainly deserves to have the action figures of your choice made along with personal thank you letters from Mattel.
    And let me repeat from the first post:
    Good luck with the concept presentation at SDCC! Please keep us updated on the outcome. : )

From the additional artwork that you posted it looks like it is starting to come together.

Moving on...
    Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    ...As a 1st-degree initiated Wiccan practicioner, I honestly find no offense in this at all! I can certainly appreciate the sensitivity & defensiveness of the concept, but it's really just a fantasy-concept, based on another world to boot! I'd buy it for sure!
    My High Priestess would agree with you -her home is filled with all things “witchy“
    Again, to each his (or her) own free will and opinion.

…working my way back through the thread…
    Ah, here it is …
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Gracie, stuff about wicca and stereotypes may belong in the Tar Swamp. But as for the appropriateness of her being evil, there are tons of good sorceresses in MOTU and PoP. There should be no pressure then to not add another evil one.
    I’m not sure what you were trying to read into that post but let me assure you: no pressure ever intended. Again, just voicing my opinion.
    Do you really think Danielle is going to stop her campaign or concept pitch to Mattel because others do not share the same opinion? Of course not! I think I can confidently say that no one expects her to either.

I might also add, my opinion is not the only one out there that does not look favorably upon this idea.
    Quite frankly, I thought it would be odd to simply say that I don’t care for the concept without giving my opinion as to why. Though it is only my opinion.

And yes, I’m aware of the other side, thank you Tally, for pointing that out. Regardless, most of the people are decent human beings, not the monsters that they are often portrayed to be. IMO

To quote Eamon from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I think i had best keep my massively offensive opinion to myself from now on.

That group shot of the Legion of Horror kicks ass
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Danielle, no offense intended. If you felt that the opinion was hurtful, hateful, or directly aimed at you then you certainly have my apologies.
    Not at all Gracie. No need to apologize! I just wanted to share my .02 as well.

Good luck with the concept presentation at SDCC! Please keep us updated on the outcome. : )
    Thanks!

Okay guys and gals, so I asked my buddy and talented artiste Frankie B. Washington if he could draw up some sketches. Frankie has worked on the Marvel Upper Deck art cards, the upcoming 'Penny Dreadful's Cauldron of Terror' comic, and many other cool projects. He was kind enough to create and color these great images!

Here are a couple. I'll post the rest in the fan art forum!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...egionWitch.jpg
    I love the addition of the red hair, the slightly curved witch's hat(the concept art was a tad too pointy imo), and the smaller amulet, but I think the simpler design on her clothing and the bright green of her skin was better in the concept art.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!