Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Masters of the Universe Childhood Memories

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Some nice stories guys.

I was introduced into masters when i was about 5 and went to my parents friends house and there son had several masters toys, all the newbies. It was so much fun playing with these figures i never had played with (as like others my family was poor aswell). I remember xmas 1 year and i got a heap of masters and was such good memories.

Just a question, as a father i buy my girls (even though very young 4, 3 and 0) i buy them a few of the female characters. Did any of your parents collect anything when they were our age. Mine didnt but im glad i do.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

So many to choose from. But, I'll give you guys a taste of one of my Ultimate Battleground fights. I shared a room w/ my older brother. We had bunk beds but were both on the floor adjacent from one another. I would line my Grayskull Warriors on one side & Evil Warriors on the other. Now, bare in mine I'm 5-10 yrs. old. Each Good guy or baddy would call out another person. The rumble would begin. Of course the bad guys would cheat and help their partner w/ a foreign object or cheap shot to the face or whatever. As you can see most of my battle influences came from WWF when I was a kid. Anyway, after awhile it would be a full drawn out Rumble. Figures flying through the air the wounded crying for help on the ground. I can remember my mother telling me it's been long enough that I was playing w/ them. I just couldn't pull myself away. These battles usually happened everyday after school & after the Filmation cartoon was over. I'll have more stories to come. Stay tuned....

Heroic Warrior
    I remember transforming my room into a huge Enternian landscape. I made frame work out of posterboard and covered it with paper grocery bags cut up and turned upside down to make hills and valleys. I filled a tub with water and surronded it with rocks and sand set on plastic so I din't get the carpet dirty. It formed a pretty good lake. I set up Castle Grayskull between 2 of my hill formations and realized it made for a nice inside of the castle from behind. Branches from outside became trees. My description does not do this set up justice especially since it was built in 1983 when I was 9.
    My mother was appaled by what she thought was mess and I got a ," wait till your father gets home." When dad did get home he said ," Nice work. Clean it up when you are done." It stayed put for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by gtitus76 View Post
    and now get to sit on the floor with my son just as my dad did with me and play with the action figures.
    It's awesome to be able to pass something like these on. My 10-year old son has a blast with my old vintage figures, many of which are from my childhood collection. Over the past few years, I have upgraded my personal collection with figures that are in better condition. Then I just give him my old ones. We have even went shopping at some flea markets together. Good times.

I used to wear two belts across my chest (like He-Man's power-harness) under a shirt. Whenever Adam would hold aloft his magic sword and say, "By the power of Grayskull..." I would run out of the room, rip off my shirt and hold aloft my yellow He-Man sword (from a dress-up set), thus turning into He-Man as well. My parents would peak around the corner to watch this, as I was shy. Now, I watch my daughter hold up her sword (unfortunately, just a generic one from Chuck E. Cheese, although it has a round jewel in it) and recite She-Ra's mantra. Tears to my eye...

I remember I drew a picture of Moss Man when I was around 6. It didn't look quite complete, so I went out to the woods behind my house and collected a nice pile of moss. I placed it over my drawing in the spots that needed it. Later on I went back to check on it and it was gone! I asked my mom where it was and she said that she thought it was just a mess on the table!! Mooooom!!!!!!

Okay, one more.... I was around 5-years-old and I got caught by my mom drawing a nude woman. LOL She said that I probably shouldn't do that, for various obvious reasons. So, I decided to draw He-Man instead. I showed it to my mom when I was done and she yelled at me!! "I told you NOT to draw naked women, Jeremy!!" Apparently He-Man's nipples caught her off guard!!! LOL
    Last edited by Chaosblue; July 31, 2011 at 11:11pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    To give a little context to this story, I want to set it up by explaining that we were pretty poor growing up.
    Same here. Growing up, I *NEVER* got anything I asked for simply because it was typically too expensive. Never got Optimus, never got Castle Grayskull. Though, I understood then as I do now that it was because we didn't have enough money. Yet, one Christmas when I was 5, I got He-Man... and I had asked for it! I just couldn't believe it. That was probably the first and only thing I got growing up that I ever asked for, and to this day, that is one of the reason I have such a strong connection with the line.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Warrior
    It just hit me. I remember winning a Masters figure from a Nestle Quick promotion. I had to beg my mom to get the Quick based on trying to win a toy so I was extremely excited (and boastful) when I won one.

I received Mekaneck in the mail 8 short weeks later (which is an eternity as a child). Since I already had him I returned him to a store in exchange for Tw-Bad who I had never seen before.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    I have many great memories of MotU, so I'll be posting here more than once. I particularly remember getting Kobra Khan. One day, my dad didn't come home straight after work (which was only a ten minutes drive). So my mom and I got curious (my mom was in cohoods of course) and after a while we started eating our dinner. My dad must have snuck in really, really quiet. All of the sudden I hear his voice saying: "Hey kid..." So I turn my head a get a splash from Kobra Khan... I will never forget that.

Another one is this: I had a little booklet, in Dutch, in which two stories are displayed by means of pics of MotU and PoP figures. One day, after coming home from school my grandparents played me a musictape: they had recorded the story on tape using their own voices for me to listen to. How great is that? I still have the tape, very nice memory!
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

When I was aound 7 my parents actually went out and bought ~20 figures and had them stored on top of the fridge. Once a week I could pick one to open as my allowance if I did all my chores. They gave me so much joy but now seeing how much they sell for MOC I almost wish I never opened them!
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! https://www.ebluejay.com/store/Beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

Snappy Threader
    My first MOTU memory was getting Man-E-Faces in 1983 for doing well in my swimming lessons. Then my grandma felt sorry for me only having one so she bought me Trap Jaw with the glow in the dark ring, then the next weekend I got He-Man and Skeletor, and the next I got Evil Lyn. Pretty cool memories from all of you.

My Original 8 Figs

Quote Originally Posted by leo_skeletor View Post
    I remember opening my favorite figure by far... man e faces. It was bought by my father and motherīs neighbours for me, they worked in their own toy shop in the 80īs. This is my best memories from my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    When I was around 7 my parents actually went out and bought ~20 figures and had them stored on top of the fridge. Once a week I could pick one to open as my allowance if I did all my chores. They gave me so much joy but now seeing how much they sell for MOC I almost wish I never opened them!
    If you didn't open them, you would not have the feeling that you have today, it would be just about the money...and im sure motu is more than that for everyone here...

My favorite memory: my parents didn't have much money back in the early 80's, but one year they saved up and gave me and my little brother each a castle and 2 figures for Christmas that year. I had Snake Mountain with Skeletor and Beastman and Eric had Castle Grayskull with He-man and Teela...Best X-mas I ever had and best one I will ever have...

Amazing.. how a memory like that can stick in your head for 20+ years, yet I cant even remember what I got last year...I guess that's why it means so much now..

Two memories stick out most vividly for me:

The first is my Grayskull story. I remember hiding in my parents closet when I was very young -- I loved hiding when I was a kid -- and stumbling across a giant box in a bag. No kid could resist looking inside and I was no different. There it was -- Castle Grayskull. Well, we were wrapping presents, my mom and I, later that week for Christmas and I accidently let it slip out, "are we going to wrap my Castle Grayskull next?" My mom looked so disappointed and I felt so terrible. But on Christmas Eve when I opened it and saw it, I was on cloud 9.

Another was when I was very young, I really was fond of Orko. He was my favorite character and all I ever wanted was an Orko figure. I had been collecting and playing with MOTU for some time (it was over a year, which was like an eternity) and I was convinced Orko was a figure that would never be made. I was outside one summer afternoon playing with some friends and my little brother while my mom had been out running errands. When she pulled into the driveway, she politely asked us to move our bikes out of the way. I saw bags in the back, so I knew she had been shopping -- but I had no idea for what. When she opened the car door there were two Toys Plus bags inside, one for me and one for my little brother. The bags were white but you could still sort of see through them, and I saw the red card of MOTU and was about to leap through my skin. When I pulled out the first figure it was Prince Adam and I remember being so excited, running around and shouting, "they finally made a Prince Adam. Now I have a Prince Adam!" Then, as I always did as a kid, I glanced at the cardback to see if there were any new figures. As I was doing that, it occured to me there was another figure in the bag. When I peaked in the bag I remember that I just about exploded. It was Orko.

Widget
    The only childhood memory of he-man was on day I was on Hulu and my dad was with me and he spotted the secret of the sword movie on there and we decided to watch it. We didnít finish we got to part were the great rebellion and he-man are fighting the horde at the village. And I guess I thought he- man was dumb ( even though I like the live action transformers
    Movies and the G1 cartoon) I really only got into he-man in my teenage years when I watched the first two episodes on Netflix and was so bummed out when they got removed so I watched them on the official YouTube channel now.

I remember my first MOTU figure was Webstor and my first POP figure was Castaspella. I didn't discover New Adventures Of He-Man until I first came to He-Man.Org, and a friend sent me the episodes on VHS (I now have them on DVD of course), I eventually started collecting the NA figures, starting with Hydron.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by idunno86 View Post
    The only childhood memory of he-man was on day I was on Hulu and my dad was with me and he spotted the secret of the sword movie on there and we decided to watch it. We didnít finish we got to part were the great rebellion and he-man are fighting the horde at the village. And I guess I thought he- man was dumb ( even though I like the live action transformers
    Movies and the G1 cartoon) I really only got into he-man in my teenage years when I watched the first two episodes on Netflix and was so bummed out when they got removed so I watched them on the official YouTube channel now.
    I guess it's good that new kids like yourself are getting into it.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

My older cousin had He-Man figures and I believe the first figure I seen was his Battle Armour Skeletor.
    I am pretty sure my first He-Man figure was Leech. Not many shops here sold MOTU as New Adventures was just getting release at that time.
    My first New Adventures figure was Skeletor I believe followed by NA He-Man.
    There was a cash and Carry in Coleraine we used to go to called Lockharts and every week or two when we were there my Mum and Dad got me some MOTU figures. I mostly good bad guys for some reason. I only had four good guys. Oddly enough I didn't get He-Man in that shop but in a local supermarket. My Dad was in doing the shopping and I was in the car with my Mum and when my Dad came back with the shopping he said there was a surprise in the bag for me and it was He-Man. Ironically with all the play he got he was the only MOTU to have the leg elastic band break.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    I guess it's good that new kids like yourself are getting into it.
    Thanks also when I got the mega contrux 5 pack and man-at-arms I showed them to my friend and he also liked them particularly man-at-arms and we played with transformers but we did this ongoing storyline with our tf toys and he-man and the masters show up. Itís like a multi verse thing. Also we play with motu figures Too as filler for transformers.

Widget
    I never had any posters or other officially-licensed MOTU art when I was growing up. I just had the toys. But there was a picture of He-Man and Teela from an episode of the original series in the local newspaper. My parents cut it out and framed it. I had that thing hanging on my wall forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Godbody View Post
    I never had any posters or other officially-licensed MOTU art when I was growing up. I just had the toys. But there was a picture of He-Man and Teela from an episode of the original series in the local newspaper. My parents cut it out and framed it. I had that thing hanging on my wall forever.
    Your parents are cool.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Widget
    Thanks!
    They definitely tried.

Widget

Masters of the Universe for a 90s kid

When I was growing up my brother who was 8 years older than me( he was born in 1979) he talked about He-Man and the Masters of the Universe all the time. He was one of the lucky kids to have Grayskull Snake Mountain and Eternia. And would tell me stories of how epic Central Tower. He didn't clean up after himself, and for some reason one day my Mother threw out all of his He-Man stuff or at least most of it. The only thing we had leftover was The Slime Pit Tung Lasher Squeeze Hurricane Hordak and a Battle Armor He-Man. I was fascinated by them. I wanted to know all about MOTU.

Problem was it was the 90s. It was really difficult for a kid to find any information on anything toy related. The only thing I had to go off of (besides the figures I had) was the 87 movie that would pop up on Channel 11 once in awhile and the 1983 Kid Stuff album. Side note I'd love that song.

I'm curious, did anybody else had a similar experience? Did anybody else during the 90s grow up fascinated by the Masters of the Universe and didn't know that much about it like I did?

I was 7 when the original He-Man cartoon came out and I immediately fell in love with the series. That year, my parents got me a gaggle of MOTU toys for the holidays and I remember playing with them non stop. I still have some of them to this day but has to recollect a lot of them. I remember getting the Battle Ram and shooting the red projectile over and over again lol. I also got the Dragon Walker and would just stare at it going round and round and round lol. I eventually started putting figures in front it and having it knock them over...good times

Quote Originally Posted by theweaponsrack View Post
    I was 7 when the original He-Man cartoon came out and I immediately fell in love with the series. That year, my parents got me a gaggle of MOTU toys for the holidays and I remember playing with them non stop. I still have some of them to this day but has to recollect a lot of them. I remember getting the Battle Ram and shooting the red projectile over and over again lol. I also got the Dragon Walker and would just stare at it going round and round and round lol. I eventually started putting figures in front it and having it knock them over...good times
    Looks like the kid had a lot of fun with those motu toys... the hours were spent blissfully.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Great idea for a thread however...I have none! Why? Because Im a proof that classic MOTU is not just Nostalgia for you guys. It really IS something special. I only new The new Adventures and saw the original in my late teens in late 90s. I was wowed by the design , by the richness of it, by the mythology and its world. Im a fan because its a stunning fantasy scifi mythology