Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: TOY MASTERS (He-Man documentary) preview

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyLandis View Post
    We are back on track to releasing the film, but I know I've said that before. You are correct about internal politics, but incorrect about "an astonishing level of mismanagement". It was never leaked because we don't have an astonishing level of mismanagement, and the people I've allowed to see it are ethical.
    Thanks for the update!

Any timeline for the release yet?
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Thanks for the update!

Any timeline for the release yet?
    Not a clue and I would hesitate to guess; I've made that mistake before!

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyLandis View Post
    Not a clue and I would hesitate to guess; I've made that mistake before!
    Darn. I was hoping for a date! Even an approximation!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Hopefully a Dvd will somehow be made available with all the extra's you cut like the She-Ra & Powet Tour stuff will be included as bonus content. I'm really excited to hear this is still moving forward.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    Will this be available for downloading on iTunes?
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

So, almost ten years since the start of this thread and two years since the last post in it.

To Corey Landis: What can we, as the MOTU community, do to help you get this released? Many of us have in-roads in the entertainment industry. Do you need legal assistance, cash money, project coordinator, etc? What, specifically, is preventing you from dropping the movie on Youtube as a paid viewing, or any other streaming service? We've variously heard about "legal issues" and "internal politics," so what are these issues specifically that are hindering the release?

We get that this was a passion project and not necessarily a profit-driven endeavor. But you and your partners could have been receiving revenue for the last decade while instead, the completed film sat on a hard drive and turned up in the occasional indie film festival.

The reports that I've received from the few that have seen the film state that it's better than both the Toys That Made Us episode and the Power of Grayskull documentary. Had the film actually been released in 2011 and 2012, we may not have even seen the Power of Grayskull film come to light. Instead, you're now going to have some more crowded waters if you ever plan to widely release the movie.

The average joe will say "Oh, the He-Man documentary? Yeah, I watched it last year. Oh, there's a new one out? What do you mean it's not new? Technically it's older than the first one I watched but it's actually newer? My head hurts."

I just don't understand why there's thousands of people willing to throw money at a project that's already finished but someone is saying "hmm. Not this year. Or possibly, maybe this year. Or not. IDK lol."

Sorry if this came off as harsh, but you've had people following this project for ten years now, and frankly we're just sick of yes/no/maybe so status. If there's no intention on ever releasing it, just tell us.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The reports that I've received from the few that have seen the film state that it's better than both the Toys That Made Us episode and the Power of Grayskull documentary.
    I saw it. It is not.

Court Magician
    Our movie is in possession of a post-production supervisor and co-editor and has been for some time. We cannot release the version of the film that he has worked on without his go-ahead. And he doesn't want to do that. And it's been that way for some time and I don't see it changing. Even if there were a way around it, I do not have the film in any form that would be suitable for distribution; I only have DVD quality. However, I am in possession of an early cut that he had nothing to do with. It's not as good of a film as the final product (which despite what the person above says, *is* better than the two other documentaries), but it's the same story, essentially just minus the bells and whistles and production value. I was thinking about throwing that up for free, but I've decided to see if I can turn it into a podcast. That way the story that Roger Lay and I worked on can still get told, and no one will be distracted by the unfinished nature of the visuals of that early cut. If I am able to accomplish this, I'll let you all know so that you can enjoy and share. This whole experience has been the best and the worst creative experience I have ever had. I appreciate the desire to help, and to see the film. That's positive, and kind. And I thank you for it. But we are not in this position due to lack of money or connections. I will reiterate: if I was in possession of the movie and I was reasonably assured I wasn't going to get sued by one of our team, I could and would put it out. If anyone wants to call me on the phone and talk to me about all this, I'm happy to. You can find me easy...just send me a message and we can chat.

So, almost ten years since the start of this thread and two years since the last post in it.

To Corey Landis: What can we, as the MOTU community, do to help you get this released? Many of us have in-roads in the entertainment industry. Do you need legal assistance, cash money, project coordinator, etc? What, specifically, is preventing you from dropping the movie on Youtube as a paid viewing, or any other streaming service? We've variously heard about "legal issues" and "internal politics," so what are these issues specifically that are hindering the release?

We get that this was a passion project and not necessarily a profit-driven endeavor. But you and your partners could have been receiving revenue for the last decade while instead, the completed film sat on a hard drive and turned up in the occasional indie film festival.

The reports that I've received from the few that have seen the film state that it's better than both the Toys That Made Us episode and the Power of Grayskull documentary. Had the film actually been released in 2011 and 2012, we may not have even seen the Power of Grayskull film come to light. Instead, you're now going to have some more crowded waters if you ever plan to widely release the movie.

The average joe will say "Oh, the He-Man documentary? Yeah, I watched it last year. Oh, there's a new one out? What do you mean it's not new? Technically it's older than the first one I watched but it's actually newer? My head hurts."

I just don't understand why there's thousands of people willing to throw money at a project that's already finished but someone is saying "hmm. Not this year. Or possibly, maybe this year. Or not. IDK lol."

Sorry if this came off as harsh, but you've had people following this project for ten years now, and frankly we're just sick of yes/no/maybe so status. If there's no intention on ever releasing it, just tell us.
    Last edited by CoreyLandis; February 2, 2020 at 03:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I saw it. It is not.
    You're literally the only person that I've heard say that.

@CoreyLandis: I'm definitely not trying to rub salt in your wounds, or make you feel bad or incompetent. Not my intention at all.

What I assumed was that the film was finished, since a version has made odd, scattered appearances at film festivals. If that's not the case, then I apologize for the assumption. My assumption led me to conclude that since a version was finished, making the indie rounds, then that version could be released online or on DVD. That doesn't appear to be the case from what you've posted today.

You're right, it's none of my business. Internal politics are just that, internal.

What I was asking for is, after ten years, throw the people who have offered their support to you a bone. The 400+ posts in this thread aren't there because we think you're a lousy filmmaker who can't get his stuff together. We honestly care about the project and would appreciate a clear indication as to its future, if indeed it has a future. The gesture of help I offered was sincere and not a "let me kick you while you're down" move.

I'm personally bowing out at this point. I have no interest in hearing a podcast, and you've essentially stated that you have no intention of releasing the version you own in an video format. If by chance I happen to catch the version being shown privately and at festivals, I'll happily plunk down the price of admission and I'm sure I will enjoy it, as would everyone else that followed this from the start. Good luck on your future projects and thank you for clarifying what you've clarified.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Can't really say much about how this one would stack up against Power of Grayskull, but I can say that Power of Geayskull was pretty much a masterpiece in my eyes. It gave a well rounded view of the property in its various incarnations over the years, and it had heart and emotion to it as well. I think it could only have been made better if it had gotten the 1) the attainable: Roger Sweet and Jack Olesker, and 2) the unattainable: Lou Scheimer (due to his death), and John Erwin (due to not wanting to be in the public eye). I don't really know how this documentary could have topped Power of Grayskull, but never having the chance to see it, I can never say for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    You're literally the only person that I've heard say that.
    I am one of a dozen people, half of whom post on this forum, who saw the film one of the only times it was screened, and we all agreed. Whom are these other people with glowing reviews?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    The reports that I've received from the few that have seen the film state that it's better than both the Toys That Made Us episode and the Power of Grayskull documentary.
    Haven't heard those reports. Though I gather it may be from people who were into the aspect of pitting Sweet VS Taylor.

I've also seen "Toy Masters" (with big thanks to Corey) and any comparisons are always subjective, you can't outright say one are better than other. They all approach things from different perspectives.
    I really enjoyed in "Toy Masters" the interviews with many cartoon folk. And as of right now, its the only documentary to have Lou Scheimer before his passing.
    Personally the part of having Sweet and Taylor go back and forth at each other wasn't what I was looking for, but I know folks who were mainly interested in that.
    True its threading similar waters that the other two after it did. But TTMU took wildly comedic approach so in that regard "Power of Grayskull" goes WAY more in-depth as to many aspects about MOTU and POP and really looks into the origins, leaving out any awkward editing of people staring into screen with some funny sound-effects for eyes blinking etc.

Had the film actually been released in 2011 and 2012, we may not have even seen the Power of Grayskull film come to light. Instead, you're now going to have some more crowded waters if you ever plan to widely release the movie.
    Given what I've heard from the people behind the scenes, that wouldn't have affected it. We would still have gotten "The Definitive" documentary. So no worries there.
    Also during same time we got the "Playtime Masters" documentary. So there being other documentaries in the works, during same time or before, did not affect the outcome from all respective people/production studios.
    Last edited by Jukka; February 1, 2020 at 05:55am.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!