Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the new movie be as good as the old?

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar

Could the new movie be as good as the old?

I think this is a valid question. I own a comic store, and I have a tv within that I play comic-related movies on, and one of the ones that I play on a consistent basis is the '87 Masters of the Universe movie; on top of that, I also sell the movie, as a friend of mine keeps on giving me copies. I've gone through 3 of the movies now, as when people see it, they seem to stand and watch for at least 15 minutes, and then sometimes even buy. This is a really good movie, it has all the elements of a wonderful adventure, despite being under-budget. The characters, especially He-Man are well respected (though I would change Sorceress), and even though it was shot primarily on Earth, it was still vastly entertaining.

My question is, can a new MOTU movie be as good?
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

Priest to Divine Teela'na Necrono's Avatar
    I think it can be, but worried that it won't be.

Just last night I saw my first preview for "John Carter", have been coming across quite a few more Conan trailers, was astonished by how bad (and how similar to the '87 He-man movie) THOR was, and am wondering can a He-man movie even compete, or will it look like just another weapon wielding muscle guy fighting fantasy monsters with bad make-up?

2 years ago, I would have settled for a bad movie, butchered like so many other corporate controlled products. The whole time, however, and especially now, I believe the only way to make a good MOTU movie is to create an emotionally touching script that balances out low and high energy points, and cuts the dizzy camera work and matrix moves.

We need Mattel to approve a script that respects the literature. Only then will their be a demand for their toys with future generations (and if every generation wants the same product, then you've hit gold!)

-Necrono

as good? yikes. let's aim a little higher, shall we?

if they put some effort behind it (like marvel has), it could actually be good or even great. motu characters, settings, and themes are still great and with the right script, fx, acting, and directing, it could be something special.

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    as good? yikes. let's aim a little higher, shall we?

if they put some effort behind it (like marvel has), it could actually be good or even great. motu characters, settings, and themes are still great and with the right script, fx, acting, and directing, it could be something special.
    Of course it could be good, but it could just as easily be something terrible, especially if they put He-Man in armor, and have Skeletor be some guy with a mask that hates magic and has a techno-army, as was in a now discarded (thank the gods) script, that somehow also has to do with an Earth soldier in Iraq. If they find someone to write it that loves the subject matter, then it will be great. But if they find someone (which is all too likely these days) that thinks he can do so much better than the subject matter, we could well have the MOTU equivalent of the G.I.Joe movie on our hands.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

I am also a big fan of the original movie. I agree that the film-makers got a LOT of the MotU characters and concepts correct and it is a good movie. It just suffers from a small budget.

I have many fears about a new movie. Like B. Morningway, I think Hollywood would end up butchering MotU to some *******ized version. I cite the last Transformers movie as an example.

But, then, a new, great MotU movie would combine production elements of Avatar, Lord of the Rings, and Thor. So, it could be done. But I'm not going to hold my breath.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

It's possible for it to be as good or even better(but as a fan of the first movie, I'm not even dying for a new one), but I doubt it will be as faithful. Other than changing the costume designs and leaving out some characters due to time constraints & a lack of a budget, nothing in the 1987 movie really deviated from the popular MOTU canon. Now just because a movie is faithful doesn't guarantee that it will be a great movie just like it isn't guaranteed that a movie that strays from the source material will be awful, but I think most fans would want a movie that is based on what they know & like. Most movies that are based on toylines, comics, & TV shows seem to have no problem altering the tone, characters, and/or storyline of what they are adapting.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    If its anything like the first movie.. I will officially hand in my MOTU Fan resignation. I was born in 1980.. which means I grew up in the MOTU Hay Day.... Without question the original MOTU Movie was the biggest disappointment of my childhood life.

In order for MOTU to be successful this time around it MUST be based in Eternia with Characters from the Toy line as well as the Cartoon... Lord of the Rings esq. The fact that the original movie only had a handful of the actual characters and then they threw in some new ones along with some stupid cosmic key.. really ****** me off and I was only 5 at the time!!

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
    If its anything like the first movie.. I will officially hand in my MOTU Fan resignation. I was born in 1980.. which means I grew up in the MOTU Hay Day.... Without question the original MOTU Movie was the biggest disappointment of my childhood life.

In order for MOTU to be successful this time around it MUST be based in Eternia with Characters from the Toy line as well as the Cartoon... Lord of the Rings esq. The fact that the original movie only had a handful of the actual characters and then they threw in some new ones along with some stupid cosmic key.. really ****** me off and I was only 5 at the time!!
    I got to say, Eesh, I feel the same. Seeing the movie back then was disappointing (where were all the cool guys from the cartoons, toys and comics?) eventhough I was thrilled to see a 'real' He-Man and Skeletor (yeah, I know, cut me some slack, I was five). Yet, I was upset... confused actually... I definitely did not like the Earth-thing for a bit.

Although I sometimes watch the first movie with a feeling of nostalgia, I can not help but think that the new movie has to go higher than this and absolutely more true to the stories and the literature.

It is indeed a valid question, B. Morningway: I too do not want techno-vest Skeletors, Teela falling in love with an Earthling, mixing Eternia with non mythological stuff (except for Queen Marlena of course) or whatever.
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

I'm not a fan of the 1987 movie at all. I certainly hope they could do a better job; if not, in this day and age a movie like that would be direct-to-DVD.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eesh View Post

Preaching to the choir.... my thoughts exactly.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

I thought the first movie was horrid. I hope they do a better job. No earth please.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

I disliked the first movie so I'd say we NEED to do better. Much better...

Could the new movie be as good as the old?

Um….yes. Better is more likely.

Heroic Warrior
    I think in some eyes, nothing will compare to the 87 film. Even as I watched it a few months ago, it still had a campy charm to it. Same reason us older fans tend to still enjoy things like the 67 Batman or the old Harryhousen fantasy films, or even the old 80s cartoons of our youth.
    On its own merits, it is a competent and enjoyable film, much like the 95 Power Rangers feature film.

But it doesn't matter what is done with however MOTU ends up on the big screen, you WILL have people harking how "the 87 film was BETTER!". Any MOTU film will have changes, but it still remains to be seen if those changes will be for the better, or for the worse.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Steve View Post

But it doesn't matter what is done with however MOTU ends up on the big screen, you WILL have people harking how "the 87 film was BETTER!". Any MOTU film will have changes, but it still remains to be seen if those changes will be for the better, or for the worse.
    If there are lots of people saying the original MOTU film was Better... then they will have FAILED miserably with the new one. The first movie was TERRIBLE. You could have given it a different title and people couldn't have told you it was MOTU. It was that bad, I was 5 years old.. barely old enough to form an opinion and I remember walking out of the theater feeling like someone just stole my bike. BRUTAL

Nowadays, chances of sucking are extremely high... yet manage to get loads of cash... Hollywood is weird.

Anyway, I'm hoping it'll be waaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the old movie.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

I saw the movie when I was about 6 years old and even though some of my favourite characters weren't in it and they all looked different then I was used to, I loved it right from the start ... probably because of the amazing performances of Dolph Lundgren & Frank Langella and the introduction of Gwildor. At least in my eyes, other actors will have a hard time to rise to their level.

Anyway, I do hope that the new movie steers away from any Earth (or Primus) related content.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

The old movie good jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajjajajajaj ajjajajajajajajajajajajajjajajajajajajajajajajajaa jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajj.....jaja
    Lord Hordak

Heroic Warrior
    Seriously??? That movie is a complete joke, if the next movie is worse than MOTU property is doomed. The 87 movie doesn't even feel like Masters just some sci-fi B film.

Sorry I threw up in my mouth a little when I read you thought the first movie was good

It cant get much worse

I want an EPIC to make up for it I want non fans walking away from the movie going" I want more! And I want it now...."
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    While there's a decent chance that hollywood could very well botch up a new movie, I would say that it still stands a good chance of being better than the '87 movie. It's not exactly like that it a difficult target to hit. That's like asking if it's possible to pour a bottle of water into a glass from 1/2 inch away without spilling is possible. The 1987 movie didn't exactly set the bar particularly high.

I do agree that the ideas being tossed around originally about He-Man being Adam in armor and this whole techno virus thing effecting Skeletor, and the whole magic VS. techology (instead of a balance of both on both sides) was a bad idea. But to my knowledge, that concept was largely scrapped.

My biggest hope for the new movie would be to actually see Adam hold up the sword, say the famous magical words, and transform into He-Man. If it manages to do that, then on at least some level, it will have greatly surpassed the '87 movie, even if they give He-Man some kind of updated looks (it's not exactly like the '87 movie look was accruate anyway).

A Defender of Grayskull
    Of course! It can be much MUCH better. We can remake it, we have the technology. Visually there will be no comparison but it's just the talent that worries me. The script, actors, directors, basically everything worries me. At this point we need a movie made. I still have a page that I cut out from a magazine article announcing the prosibility of a new MOTU movie. I cut that article out 9 years ago!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I liked the characters in the old movie , they were good imo , Gwildor was just as cool as Orko.....also didnt mind Earth scenes even though the music store scene was OTT

I didnt miss alter ego Adam that much but I can understand fans were upset he wasnt in it , kinda like in mini comics where HM came from a tribe.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Oh please...Let a potential new movie be a million times better!
    It was a huge dissapointment in my childhood to!
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

Despite people's criticisms of the 80's film, the acting was very good and the casting for Evil-Lyn and Skeletor was perfect. I can guarantee we will NEVER get a better Evil-Lyn or Skeletor.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE the 80's film. It's one of those rare movies I can watch many times and not be bored. It's engaging the entire episode long.

Also, I would just like to say if this was a Filmation episode most people would love it. It's like the many episodes where He-Man goes through a portal to a different dimension and does stuff, then returns home. The only difference was the other place was "Earth" instead of some weird, messed up place.

I think it will be hard to have the new movie as good as the 80's one, even if it 100% takes place on Eternia.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah