Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could the new movie be as good as the old?

Heroic Warrior
    Aside from Frank Langella and Billy Barton's performances, the acting in the movie was terrible. The woman who played Teela couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and forget Dolph. MAN is his acting bad. He looked like he was reading his lines off of cards.

That said, I like the movie for what it is. I saw it when it came out and like a lot of kids my age, my interest in MOTU was on the decline as it and the movie was like the final nail in He-Man's coffin.

Being older now, I can appreciate it and understand why they went in the direction they did. I love MOTU, but let's face it: it began life as a toyline (a product), so it's not like we're dealing with a well thought out, genuine artistic vision. It works great in comic book and cartoon form, but it's hard to pull off as a live action film. Which is why I doubt a new film will ever come out and if it did, more than half of the people who want to see it will be letdown and major changes are bound to take place.

The best thing about the film were the new characters like Gwildor, Saurod and Blade. If a new movie was to happened, I'd have them included.

Another Masters of The Universe 1987 movie thread. Oh it was horrible. It destroyed my childhood. It was a Star Wars rip off. It was absolutely nothing like Filmation MOTU.

If you wanted happy comets, talking goofy dragons, goofy wizards, widgets, Trollans, and forgettable 1 time use characters, and magical sing alongs, then yes, it was nothing like your Filmation MOTU.

The 1987 movie was a great little sci-fi flick that did more for transitioning its campy cartoon roots to the screen than many other more successful films. It was faithful without being ridiculous, and while the budget was limited, they did alot with a little. Sure there were some flat actors, and perhaps it did steer away from the direction of some fans expectations, however it is still an enjoyable movie made with heart. $100 million does not make for a good film. Thor was lousy. Conan was awful. Have you seen Ghost Rider?
    Dear Lord... there is a sequel coming...

I will never understand the hate that this movie has going for it from this fanbase. I too have been curious about this John Carter of Mars movie. I'm hoping it will give MOTU a chance, but with the hate the original movie got for taking chances, the biggest enemies of the new MOTU movie, will be the 'fanboys'.

Heroic Warrior
    If the new movie is as good as the old to me that would be saying the new movie is awful. I don't want it as good as that horrendous piece of trash I want it to be better

Heroic Warrior

Tired of waiting for Hollywood.

The new movies can be very awesome.
    You would need to get Arnold Schwarzenegger to play King Randor.
    There wouldnt need to be many famous actors in it.

I storyboarded these movies with music, so I know.

It would be He-Man and She-Ra, Peace and Havok.

Let's really hope that a new movie will be "as good as' the old one, because if it's any worse, then it would be the absolute worst movie ever made.

That movie disappointed me so badly as a child that I still have recurring nightmares. As an adult, it's so laughably bad that I can now extract some sort of pleasure out of watching it so long as I'm in a cheesy movie mood. Same goes for the Filmation series.

The source material (the toys) are still here, waiting to be done justice on film. Get Don Glut to write the treatment and then have the folks that did the Solomon Kane movie produce it. Keep the comedy to a bare minimum and have He-Man portrayed like the original wandering barbarian of the minicomics. Get someone who can actually act to portray He-Man and jettison all of the goofy kids stuff like Orko and Prince Adam and make He-Man a violent, crusading badass that tells Skeletor that he's going to bury his battleaxe ‘twixt his eyes’ and then actually do it.

I think that's the biggest problem with MOTU as a franchise- it's rarely ever been treated seriously and shown from an adult point of view. That's why I recommend the Solomon Kane team for the project, because they were able to weave a believable fantasy tale that remained faithful to the source material while still delivering plenty of action and entertainment.

Of course, none of this will probably happen. Someone at Mattel will probably say "Gee, the Transformers and GI Joe movies made a lot of money... let's do the same thing!"
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Let's really hope that a new movie will be "as good as' the old one, because if it's any worse, then it would be the absolute worst movie ever made.

That movie disappointed me so badly as a child that I still have recurring nightmares. As an adult, it's so laughably bad that I can now extract some sort of pleasure out of watching it so long as I'm in a cheesy movie mood. Same goes for the Filmation series.

The source material (the toys) are still here, waiting to be done justice on film. Get Don Glut to write the treatment and then have the folks that did the Solomon Kane movie produce it. Keep the comedy to a bare minimum and have He-Man portrayed like the original wandering barbarian of the minicomics. Get someone who can actually act to portray He-Man and jettison all of the goofy kids stuff like Orko and Prince Adam and make He-Man a violent, crusading badass that tells Skeletor that he's going to bury his battleaxe ‘twixt his eyes’ and then actually do it.

I think that's the biggest problem with MOTU as a franchise- it's rarely ever been treated seriously and shown from an adult point of view. That's why I recommend the Solomon Kane team for the project, because they were able to weave a believable fantasy tale that remained faithful to the source material while still delivering plenty of action and entertainment.

Of course, none of this will probably happen. Someone at Mattel will probably say "Gee, the Transformers and GI Joe movies made a lot of money... let's do the same thing!"

The '87 movie was made by people who create animation, from 4000miles away from the animation shop, they were probably used to giving a short/simple idea to the key animators and watching the results a year later.
    Its a wonder the movie made any sence at all.
    ..oh and Man-At-Arms talking to that cow.. Brilliant.

In my movies, that I storyboarded with music and everything it would be epicly cool and classic.

..There is nothing cheese-like about Orko the Great and Magnificent.
    He is the answer to Hordak..
    ..both are from another world, but only one is humble.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    The '87 movie was made by people who create animation, from 4000miles away from the animation shop, they were probably used to giving a short/simple idea to the key animators and watching the results a year later.
    Its a wonder the movie made any sence at all.
    ..oh and Man-At-Arms talking to that cow.. Brilliant.
    My friend, I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. The movie was not created by a group of people who worked exclusively in animation. If you want to learn more about the actual making of the 1987 movie, go check out www.motumovie.com.

Oh, and it wasn't Man-at-Arms who talked to the cow - it was Gwildor
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 5, 2011 at 02:43pm.

Heroic Warrior

I beleive you. (I think I was trying to express my own confusion)

I think they could have done so much better with a He-Man movie even then.
    Maybe they just need more money and time.

I remember waiting for them to explain why the He-Man sword had a motherboard on it and why it plugged in to that throne, and many other unanswered questions.

..anyway my movie storyboards are perfect.

The movie isn't that bad, but they could make the new one epic! I would love it to be in 300 style or something like that.

lol

lol yeah! I would kind of like to see a balls to the wall He man movie, with heads and arms flying, very serious in tone and epic, but then again I would take a kid friendly one as well. I always wondered why He man just didn't tear through the bad guys. In one scene Whiplash goes to whip he man with his tail and he man pulls it off and whips him with his own tail lol, or Mekaneck gets his neck chopped in half by skeletor while extended! But I don't think we will see that!

I think it could only be better.
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

-Chancellor Palpatine

Heroic Warrior

.. "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
    Schwarzenegger.