Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vac Metal on MOTUC Figures Discussion!

Vac Metal on MOTUC Figures Discussion!

Okay...an hour or so ago I just said to another person that I was going to wait and see what Hurricane Hordak was like before making up my mind on vac metal in MOTUC.

Well...I just ran to the computer to start up this thread because of what I discovered, which horrified me!

I've been doing to extensive cleaning up and came across my 8 inch Dragon Shiryu armour from Knights of the Zodiac. ALL his armour is vac metal and was in perfect shape, no flaking. I put it on him and took it off maybe 3-5 times and I have never touched it since.

Well...his armour looked all scratched to hell and I thought "what happened to him?" then, I touched it to pick it up...and it was like it was snowing! The "scratches" are fine cracks...everywhere!

Bandai made him with the correct rock-hard plastic and this was only made 7 years ago! I really don't think vac metal can hold up any longer for whatever the reason. The 80's vac metal figures are still kicking and doing well...but the newer stuff isn't.

I LOVE the look of vac metal and always have. With a very heavy heart, I have to join the "NO vac metal in MOTUC" camp. After what I just discovered...I couldn't even IMAGINE what I would do if I can across MOTUC Entrapta in this condition. It's so depressing.

I will try to take pictures of my figure on Monday, when I should have some free time.

This is the figure from 2004, I'm talking about though:

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

If all the Vac Metal will be like HH, I sadly have to be in the no more vac metal in MOTUC camp. but if they can get it right, which I know Mattel can(after seeing some of their Batman figures with good vac metal), I want it.

So its simple do it right or dont do it.

HH looks great from a few feet away, but if you play or move him, I pity you.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I don't know why these toy companies can't get it right anymore, the chrome from the 80's took so much abuse and never flaked, it may have worn out over time, but never flaked, Even Hasbro can't get it right on Transformers anymore.

Maybe it's just me, but even though they had limited articulation and some were just plain goofy looking, the toys from the 80's had better playability, QC work, and some had better durability, I mean to be played with as kids do, and still last 20 - 30 years. Granted love Transformers as much as I do, but a few of the original Takara boys were very brittle..Mirage, the Prowl triplets, Megatron, but that was because of how tiny their plastic waist pins were, but other than that the chrome was flawless and only wore off after time, and most of them had better tighter joints than today's equivalents, and I couldn't break a vintage MOTU figure, other than their softer fingers.

But today we pay more for these things, with better technology & materials to design and make them with, better articulated and bigger or not, get crappier QC work, so how is that even logical? Hasbro has better QC on a mass retail line, than Mattel has on a limited run collectors line, and that is seriously sad.

Sometimes it's like these companies just went into business and have no idea what they are doing.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 22, 2011 at 04:56pm.

Wait a second!? Bandai's Saint Seiya toys losing their Vac Metal!? DAMN!

Welcome to the club...
    I suspected that Mattel would screw it up... but if Bandai (I tend to get VAC METAL RIGHT) can screw up with Vac Metal, I pity da foo who thought that Mattel could do it right.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I don't know why these toy companies can't get it right anymore, the chrome from the 80's took so much abuse and never flaked, it may have worn out over time, but never flaked, Even Hasbro can't get it right on Transformers anymore.
    Tell that to my silver hawks figures. Those things flaked, chipped and wore badly a month out of the package.

They should do Entrapta in die-cast metal.

Heroic Warrior
    If they can`t do it right, they better shouldn`t do it anymore...

Sorry guys, I don't want to be one to toot my own horn, but this will be a case of 'I told you so'.

Vac should never have been used in MOTUC. This stuff has a good track record of chipping, scratching and just plain falling off due to entropy (even MOC).

They should have hust used the same texture as He-ro on HH.

I think pretty much everyone was fearful of the vac metal. But some were willing to give it a chance. It's a tricky thing to get right.

Even though I'm glad they gave it a chance with Hurrican Hordak - and I like the figure overall - I wouldn't be that sad if they dropped it. But, at this point there's only a few more figures that would really even need it going off the vintage lines. Maybe they pack in alternate versions without the vac from now on? And maybe a future weapon's pack could have the Hordak armor painted gold like He-Ro?

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I've actually spent the last few days trying to think of what the last Vac Metal items Ive seen Mattel do, and then I realised they were staring me in the face! Right from my own display case!!

The shoes on the 'Dawn of The Dance' series from 'Monster High' are all Vac Metal'd and are all on the traditional hard Non porus Plastic and are all superb!

The softer Plastic seems to be a major reason for the Flaking and 'Cheapness' of HH's Vac Metal!

ka

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHall666 View Post
    Sorry guys, I don't want to be one to toot my own horn, but this will be a case of 'I told you so'.

Vac should never have been used in MOTUC. This stuff has a good track record of chipping, scratching and just plain falling off due to entropy (even MOC).

They should have just used the same texture as He-ro on HH.
    Exactly!
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; September 22, 2011 at 08:52pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

I must be in the minority, but the vac metal on my Hurricane Hordak is perfect.
    I took his armor off a couple times already, and no flaking at all, but I didn't bend it either.
    I just unlatched it and slipped it off.
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm more upset that when they paint over the vac metal, the paint chips so easily. The dial on my HH is already flaking.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I haven't opened mine yet; my wife always does and we've been in the hospital (for her) the past few days. We are headed home tomorrow though, so this weekend I'll see how mine is. I'll be treating him with kids gloves, I think, just in case.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by imperialmyrth View Post
    Tell that to my silver hawks figures. Those things flaked, chipped and wore badly a month out of the package.
    Yeah kenners toys were kinda cheaply made. Most my super power figures paint is worn. And most my Batman from the 90s. Kenner did make nice vehicles though. I was glad when mattel got Batman.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Most of my Silverhawks and oddly that you mention my Knights of the Zodiac are completely jacked, yet my vintage HH and Flying Fists He-Man & Skeletor are flawless.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    vac metal is very cool, but yes it chips & fades easily.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialmyrth View Post
    Really? I had mine forever, and played with them like crazy...never happened to mine...as of 10 years ago when all my old stuff, except for my G1 Transformers vanished from my Dad's house, they were still nice and shiny, worn in places, but still shiny. But too didn't Bandai make Silverhawks too...hmmm, maybe it's them?

Also how does a company that makes chrome plated Hot Wheels, all the time, screw up chrome on Masters? But then again, sometimes the colored chrome on the wheels flakes off, but I have never had any of the chassis (silver) chrome do that. My son bangs them all over the place and drops them all out of the bucket he has them in, and still no flaking, only where the plastic actually gets chipped up, but that's not the chrome flaking off.

Want to remove vac chrome though?, I made custom Hot Wheels before, Oven Cleaner eats it right off, and doesn't damage plastic.....

And like I said, none of my Transformers ever suffered from flaking, wearing, but not flaking, or any of my model cars I used to build....one bad thing though about vac chrome, is that sometimes if it's thinner plated, the acid from your fingers etches it, and leaves your fingerprints permanently visible.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 23, 2011 at 12:44am.

A Defender of Grayskull
    You are all scaring me now. What should we do? Spray HH with some hair spray to hold the vac metal together? Hum, I wonder... nooo that won't work.

I've always been in the camp of no vac metal. I never believed it would come out functional on Hurricane Hordak.

I love how it looks, but it gave me a Hordak that I can't really mess with now.

Absolutely NO more vac metal. I was always fine with He-Ro's gold painted armor and I love the metallic painted look that BA Skelly has as well.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolapex View Post
    You are all scaring me now. What should we do? Spray HH with some hair spray to hold the vac metal together? Hum, I wonder... nooo that won't work.
    No! I wouldnt risk that, the Chemicals in the spray could do more damage than good tothe Armor!
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Want to remove vac chrome though?, I made custom Hot Wheels before, Oven Cleaner eats it right off, and doesn't damage plastic.....
    the mild stuff or the extra strength stuff? cause I might have to do that to my HH and want to make sure I don't screw it up!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    No! I wouldnt risk that, the Chemicals in the spray could do more damage than good tothe Armor!
    Exactly, plus I think hair spray might dull the finish/sheen.

My Hurricane Hordak looks fine, but with so many others experiencing problems, I'm fine if they never use vac metal again. That settles it - Filmation look for Entrapta for me!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

HH turned out terrible, and I love He-Ro without it. I'm firmly in the no more VAC metal camp.

A Defender of Grayskull
    Haha I was kidding about the hair spray guys but I'm serious about the following: Do you think a mild car polish would protect it or simply peel the vac right off? My theory is to keep the vac metal moist so it won't start cracking right off. I'm too scared to try it myself. What do you guys think? I think in the end it's just best to pose HH and let him be. I love the look of the vac metal but if it's going to be a problem in about 7 month then Mattel should go the He-Ro route.