Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The MotUC He-Man face (not the blushing issue!)

The new head is all good and dandy, but I just wonder, if there was a reason why they didn't make it look like the original toy?

I hope my poor photoshop doesn't ruin the case for a new sculpt! (hope you don't mind that I borrowed your pics!)

That old headsculpt is great. The expression and level of detail are great. Count me in for a new MOTUC headsculpt!

THAT is He-Man. Nice job.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Very cool, I must agree!

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I like the MOTUC He-Man head but I do think it could have been better. I made a Photoshop mock-up using the same head but just tweaking a few things. After making this mock-up, the original face almost looks like the 200X face to me.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--...252520Head.jpg

I agree completely.
    Nothing against your photoshop skills, but I definitelly prefer the version the 4H have given us now!

Quote Originally Posted by Xetheus View Post
    Nothing against your photoshop skills, but I definitelly prefer the version the 4H have given us now!
    Haha! Maybe it is indeed in the eye of the beholder, then?

But at least we might all agree on how the two heads look like night and day? Which was my original point, though: hasn't the whole MotUC-line tried to get the attention of the original toy-fans, and a big chunk of it tries to mimic the originals? Or is it more like 're-envision' the whole original line, for an audience of...who, then?
    Last edited by PaavoGold; September 28, 2011 at 05:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by PaavoGold View Post
    hasn't the whole MotUC-line tried to get the attention of the original toy-fans, and a big chunk of it tries to mimic the originals? Or is it more like 're-envision' the whole original line, for an audience of...who, then?
    It's both.

E.g. With Clawful you see a (disasterous IMO) mimic of the original head.

E.g. With Whiplash there was a very well done re-envision which still kept the original "feel" (subjective term, of course!). Teela, He-Man & even Skeletor are further examples of subtle(ish) re-envisioning.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Yes, you are probably right, it just felt strange why they would 're-envision' the main character of the whole series, when e.g. the face of the main villain (=the other main character) resembles the old toy to a larger degree (imo), and how a large portion of the Classics line tries to get the attention of the vintage toy fans.

Both faces of He-Man are nice, but different. The detail in the old one is still pretty darned awesome, considering it's a toy for kids, and not a premium collector's item, wouldn't everybody agree? And I still think the vintage one is more detailed, but that's just me!

Heroic Warrior
    I LOVE the vintage face/head He-Man had!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shantustarsun View Post
    I hope my poor photoshop doesn't ruin the case for a new sculpt! (hope you don't mind that I borrowed your pics!)

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...ntage_head.jpg
    WOOOW

I really like the current one, but I wouldn't mind them popping this head on one of the future variants.

Still, my ultimate He-Man head would be the Alcala one, with the long flowing hair:

"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Vintage He-man Head is one thing really missing from this line. The only detail to add maybe some eye color.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Still, my ultimate He-Man head would be the Alcala one, with the long flowing hair:
    Yes!!!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    WOOOW

I really like the current one, but I wouldn't mind them popping this head on one of the future variants.

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...y/153_full.jpg
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...y/115_full.jpg
    I'm hoping the Alcala designed "He-Man" will be Oo-Larr…bare feet and bare chested!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I remember reading somewhere Toyguru was answering a question about a "Screaming" He-Man head; Sorta like a sword thrusting-Sword Slashing-He-man expression. It's odd that although He-Man did not get new "heads" until latter in the line the 87 Laser figure was radically different, that we should wait until 2013 or 2014 for a new He-Man head sculpt; Considering the new figure reveals, late 2012 would be the earliest for a new head, my thought process is that the tooling for a new head would be have to wait until a NEW He-Man variant comes out like the mini-comic version Oo-Lar or Filmation varaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    That picture isn't a true comparison. The "vintage" figure there is actually the 2000 commemorative re-release, which had a significantly different face than the 80s original.
    this, and the vintage is way better than the reissue.

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I like the MOTUC He-Man head but I do think it could have been better. I made a Photoshop mock-up using the same head but just tweaking a few things. After making this mock-up, the original face almost looks like the 200X face to me.

Edit: I reworked the hair too.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z...252520Head.jpg

I agree completely.
    That looks really cool!

I think Vikors Face has some vintage He-Man facial feeatures.
    I so want a more vintage or Alcala He-Man head!

I guess Im in a minority (which I dont mind) but I like the new MOTUC He-Man head over the vintage. If they were to make an 80's esque He-Man head, I'd prefer it on Oo-Larr. Though I actually want an Alcala designed He-Man first

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    this, and the vintage is way better than the reissue.
    the commemorative face is ugly! Why couldn't they go for the original one in 2000? I like the beautiful motuc face a lot! but the vintage he man is sthing special.
    A new Motu line, again at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan81 View Post
    the commemorative face is ugly! Why couldn't they go for the original one in 2000?
    I think it had something to do with the fact that Mattel didn't have the original molds. They made new molds from the original toys. So the 2000 reissue head was like a copy of a copy.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    IDk maybe im the minority but i think the classics ver is 100000000 better than the vintage....
    I'm right there in that minority with you.

Quote Originally Posted by PaavoGold View Post
    Hmmm...really, you think so? ...-_-;;;;...Did you possibly only have the hard-head (read:sucky) He-Man fig from the eighties? Since I just took a snapshot of my vintage figure, and I think he actually looks sexier than the commemorative re-release He-Man!

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/s...AoP9280003.jpg
    Not at all, in fact the He-Man I got as a kid was an 8 back, as early as you can get! I also have about 6-7 original soft-headed He-Men in my collection at the moment.

Re-read my post. What I said (and what a ton of people agreed with me with) was that the VINTAGE face is MUCH BETTER than the 2000 re-issue's which was posing to be the same thing, and most certainly wasn't.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    It's interesting that while MOTUC Teela is clearly more mature than her babyfaced vintage counterpart, He-Man has become considerably more androgynous and younger in the face. If you know what to look for, you can see vintage He-Man had much higher testosterone levels (or would have had, were he a living person ). I wonder if that reflects the fact that originally He-Man was designed as a hardy barbarian warrior, but over the year he has become a young/youthful prince transformed by a magic sword?
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

I personally think the MOTUC He-Man head is fantastic, but I've always thought it'd be great to get a pure vintage-inspired version for a con exclusive or something.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    I think Vikors Face has some vintage He-Man facial feeatures.
    He really does. I did a photoshop face transplant to test this, and the end result is closer to the vintage look than the MOTUC face sculpt, even though the mouth is closed.

A truly vintage-accurate He-Man face would need a wider nose, thicker eyebrows and a longer upper lip than the standard MOTUC sculpt.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/