Thread: Christmas Ornament thread

Christmas Ornament thread

I am looking into buying a heirloom type ornament for my family, one for tradtion etc. when I was a kid we had sesame street lights for the tree I loved em! I really like the licensed ornaments but I think my geek side will clash with my gf more traditional wants, so though i can get a geek one, I need to find something else anyway share your fave ornaments here!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    My family and I collect the Disney Ornaments. We have tons of Mickey's and Pixar. We do switch them around each year, but I always put friends together like Buzz and Woody, the Monster Inc guys, and the Genie from Alladin is always up there too.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

sounds awesome! I like that! I need to get started on something. I love Christmas and Christmas stuff!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    My wife and I have various ornaments. Lots of Disney characters one, a few Marvel ones... a Superman one.

But I think the one that I will be getting for Christmas (yes, I already know that I'm getting it) will be this one:

It's a Hallmark Cheers ornament, and there is a button on the side. When you press it, it plays the theme song.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 7, 2011 at 02:03am. Reason: fixed image

Personally I think you should have a geek tree! Why think small

Traditional. Geek.

PPL have multiple trees in their homes now.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

an entire geek tree, I like the sound of that!

Fear is faith in failure

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I admit it, I have the geek tree. My wife and I have collected Hallmark ornaments since we got married and we have quite the collection of Star Wars and Star Trek ornaments. With the odd Pirates, and Indiana Jones ones thrown in LOL I think I posted pics of last year's tree on Facebook LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    My mom has been collecting ornaments for years now, and I've been helping her out with the leg work for the past ten. It used to be that everyday after Christmas we'd go out to Downtown San Francisco to Macy's, I. Magnum, Neiman Marcus, and Sakks Fifth Avenue to find awesome artistic/abstract ones that were really unique and awesome looking. But a lot of stores stopped carrying ornaments altogether, and a big influx of rich a'hole people moved into town over the years that made finding ornaments that much harder. Nowadays they just buy them as soon as XMas departments open up and are put out on shelves, months before December even.

So now I just go to Macy's and Pier 1 and buy whatever's cool that I can, at full price, and gift them to my mom to keep her collection going. I got some neat looking ones in August, but there hasn't been anything great for sale like there used to be in the mid-90's. I might try going into Neiman in the next few days, but it's already December and I doubt they'll have anything left :/

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I have multiple trees in my house...one tree is more traditional with the very sentimental ornaments from family and the other tree has the "kiddy" ornaments.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    A cool ornament I got this year is a replica of the classic 80's Glo-Worm. Takes me back as that was my favorite stuffed animal as a kid.

Hasbro-Glo-Worm-Ornament-With-Light-root-1799QXI3266_QXI3266_1470_3.jpg_Source_Image.jpg

I'm not sure if this counts as an ornament, but ever since seeing both the 1962 and 1993 versions of the musical Gypsy, I always wanted someone to make action figures of The Three Strippers - Mazeppa (Faith Dane - 1962, Linda Hart - 1993), Electra (Roxanne Arlen - 1962, Anna McNeely - 1993), and Tessie Tura (Betty Bruce - 1962, Christine Ebersole - 1993). In my imagination, Mazeppa, the Roman Gladiator action figure would come with a trumpet that actually blows real music, Electra would light up when you flick a switch, and Tessie Tura the Butterfly Ballerina would have a spinning action like Spinnerella. In the 1962 version, also starring Rosalind Russell & Natalie Wood, Electra was a Christmas Tree (fitting in with the theme of this thread), and in the 1993 version, also starring Bette Midler & Cynthia Gibb, Electra was representative of the Milky Way.

Strippers.jpg

gypsygimmick.jpeg.jpg

Strippers 2.jpg

They would make awesome action figures and/or ornaments, especially Electra!

Cheers, Mikey
    Last edited by Mikey; December 23, 2018 at 08:02am.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I think I have a geek tree, and it was unintentional on my part.

About 12 years ago, a friend started a tradition of giving me super hero ornaments every year. Now my tree is decked out with super heroes.

This year, she gave me a Hallmark Superman Crest. It has a button that you can press to make it play the Christopher Reeve's Superman theme.

Other ornaments
    • 1) Superman with a flaring cape
    • 2) Green Lanthern
    • 3) Spider-Man
    • 4) My personal favorite--a replica of the cover of the Hulk comic featuring the debut of Wolverine. The ornament doubles as a min-comic. When you open it, you can read the initial throw-down between the Hulk and Wolverine.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Before I had children I had very beautiful themed trees. After I had kids I embraced the 'geek family' tree. We make a hand made garland (for a few years we had a paper chain made out of geek paper) and decorate with all sorts of fun Hallmark and character ornaments. We even made quilted ornaments in geek themes. Oh and tinsel. I tinsel the heck out of tree.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    In this year of COVID, it's sad that I don't get to have family over, such a nice haul of ornaments this year for the nerdmas tree.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

We have old mercury glass, vintage birds, hand painted German glass, and a few that I embroidered or painted. Here's one:

P1090101.jpg
    P1090102.jpg
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

Mikey, I feel you. There just aren't many good ornaments from musicals. I have a couple but there's plenty of shows that have come and gone that could have made merch...never mind movie musicals.

I'm still waiting for a She-Ra ornament too!

Heroic Warrior
    Wish hallmark made more motu ornaments. Was hoping one a year.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

DSC_0022 (2).JPG

These guys all say I have to use shatterproof ornaments from the dollar store, even though those don't make the same satisfying tinkling sound when knocked off the tree.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Master of New Adventures!
    Our favorites. This is as traditional as it gets. Yes, they're pricey, but so are action figures. If you buy two or three a year then in five or six years you'll have the start of a nice collection. Merry Christmas:

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/search....BoCykgQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I am looking into buying a heirloom type ornament for my family, one for tradtion etc. when I was a kid we had sesame street lights for the tree I loved em! I really like the licensed ornaments but I think my geek side will clash with my gf more traditional wants, so though i can get a geek one, I need to find something else anyway share your fave ornaments here!!