Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Light Hope MOTUC Thread

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Ah, here's the Light Hope thread.

Well, I see I'm in lonely company with thinking Light Hope was one character that didn't need to fit the standard (or any) buck.

I thought he was God Skele, because of the awful gold, then I was like, oh man, I don't remember GS very well, this looks ~off~. I squinted to look for the skull, then saw the castle parts, and finally it hit me.

Then, I was like, oh coo!!!l, freakin' Light Hope!!!!, that's a character I really dig!!!!

Then, I though about it more. I should have stopped at the above.

Visually, that gold doesn't match anything else, and I'd rather the gold be more like Hero with some rubs for aging. I really wish they were consistent with the gold they use. Like the weapons pack weapons, pft. I can't get over the bootleggedness or custom feel of this. Looks like a fan on deviant art that knocks back figure designs one after another has this template they work from, and they jammed Light Hope into that template. Like a forum drawing everybody thought was awesome but that's just because the art is awesome, not really because it'd make the best representation of this character.

This is Crystal Castle Man. People wanted Snake Mountain Man, instead you got Crystal Castle Man. Light Hope as a character has such untapped potential. Now he's just an over embellished figure.

So far I can almost convince myself that this is the original version of him, before he became one with the universe (or whatever) and now he projects himself via light. In fact, I like to think he didn't have the name Light Hope in this form, as this is a very ancient form, before he became more powerful and no longer needed such a vessel. Now he travels the multiverse via thought and light.

I know the 4H can make some fantastic figures. And this almost reminds me of Scarabus and such. They do a lot of figures that are just odd things as humanoids and they're good at it.

I feel Light Hope got the factory line make-something-into-an-articulated-figure-treatment. When MOTU seems like it can step out of that and widen it's scope. Again, the 4H can make any figure look cool, but sometimes, it just doesn't need to be a "figure" in every single sense of the word.

You are in very lonely territory, my friend.

I love the gold. I love how bright it is. It matches the color scheme perfectly, and I hope it doesn't get dulled down in production. All golds don't match in the world, nor should they match in these figures. The brighter gold seems more god-like and magical to me. Like he's from a different plane of existence where things are perhaps a bit more vibrant.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

Is it just me, or does the handle from his staff sort of refer to the "column of light" appearance from the cartoon?

The "Gold" NEVER comes out as bright and shiny on the finished product.

In fact, most of the shiny paint apps usually don't translate to the finished product. Even She-Ra came out really bronze and dull in the translation.

I imagine Light Hope's finished production figure will be really a dull gold paint, bronzed just like She-Ra. So he could still look a bit dark and 'chipped up' like the Spawn figures most people here seem to want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post

Well, I see I'm in lonely company with thinking Light Hope was one character that didn't need to fit the standard (or any) buck.

I thought he was God Skele, because of the awful gold, then I was like, oh man, I don't remember GS very well, this looks ~off~. I squinted to look for the skull, then saw the castle parts, and finally it hit me.

Then, I was like, oh coo!!!l, freakin' Light Hope!!!!, that's a character I really dig!!!!

Then, I though about it more. I should have stopped at the above.

Visually, that gold doesn't match anything else, and I'd rather the gold be more like Hero with some rubs for aging. I really wish they were consistent with the gold they use. Like the weapons pack weapons, pft. I can't get over the bootleggedness or custom feel of this. Looks like a fan on deviant art that knocks back figure designs one after another has this template they work from, and they jammed Light Hope into that template. Like a forum drawing everybody thought was awesome but that's just because the art is awesome, not really because it'd make the best representation of this character.

This is Crystal Castle Man. People wanted Snake Mountain Man, instead you got Crystal Castle Man. Light Hope as a character has such untapped potential. Now he's just an over embellished figure.

So far I can almost convince myself that this is the original version of him, before he became one with the universe (or whatever) and now he projects himself via light. In fact, I like to think he didn't have the name Light Hope in this form, as this is a very ancient form, before he became more powerful and no longer needed such a vessel. Now he travels the multiverse via thought and light.

I know the 4H can make some fantastic figures. And this almost reminds me of Scarabus and such. They do a lot of figures that are just odd things as humanoids and they're good at it.

I feel Light Hope got the factory line make-something-into-an-articulated-figure-treatment. When MOTU seems like it can step out of that and widen it's scope. Again, the 4H can make any figure look cool, but sometimes, it just doesn't need to be a "figure" in every single sense of the word.
    I do not like Crystal Castle Man as Light Hope, but cannot comment too much on it for now. (I will rant about him soon...) So, you're not alone. We may be in the minority...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I do not like Crystal Castle Man as Light Hope, but cannot comment too much on it for now. (I will rant about him soon...) So, you're not alone. We may be in the minority...
    Minority? I only count you and that other guy,you sure your not looking for UNO thread?

Heroic Warrior
    He looks magnificent! Really imperial!

My brother thinks he should have been packaged with the prism "curtain" surrounding him. It would be a great bonus accessory, especially if it slides into a base. It would have been cool to be surprised, like the UNO...but unlike the UNO.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Scott should take note that THIS is a true loveletter to the fans. Light Hope is something we never expected, he absolutely fits the mold of POP, and is a very visually compelling character....Never in a million years would I imagine this is what Light Hope would look like, but once he was revealed, I can't imagine him looking any other way...and thats what equals a loveletter in my opinion.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

He looks great. Much like with Horde Prime and the Unnamed One, this wasn't a character that I thought we needed to have as a figure--or at least I wouldn't have missed them if they hadn't been made. But unlike those other two, I am really enjoying what this reveal brings to the overall lineup.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    WOW! I still don't have a complete idea of who Light Hope is, but I freaking LOVE IT!! What a fantastic design!
    Light Hope is mentioned in the following four MOTUC bios:

ETHERIA - Beautiful Planet of Despondos: After the Overlords of Trolla harnessed the aura of the Gods, they used this "Power of the Universe" to become immortal and vowed to maintain neutrality in all Five Dimensions. Sensing how dark the Dimension of Desponso was, they used the Power to create a being of formless light and sent him to Despondos to bring hope to those trapped there. It settled on the Planet Etheria, turning the small planet into a lush paradise, standing out in an otherwise dark dimension. Protected by magic, Etheria remained a home for free beings until Hordak discovered it during his banishment. Overthrowing the local monarchs, he declared Etheria his new homeworld and ruled for years as it's tyrannical dictator.

BUBBLE POWER SHE-RA - Most Powerful Woman in the Universe: After crossing over from Etheria to Eternia with the help of Light Hope, She-Ra joined forces with her brother and the Masters of the Universe, who were caught in a four-way war with the Snake Men, Skeletor, and Hordak. She used her cloned sword to harmonize with and channel the Power of Grayskull to form new arms and armor in the midst of battle. Her Bubble Power Armor greatly enhances She-Ra's stamina and allows her to funnel great fumes of energy at her foes. She remained on Eternia to fight off evil until both she and He-Man were called to the stars to fulfill their destiny, traveling to the Tri-Solar System to end the oppression of the Horde Empire.

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE - Heroic and Evil Warriors Wielding Great Power: In ancient times, the Power of the Universe was unleashed across the five dimensions like a great wave. After creating all life, it was captured and contained by the Overlords of Trolla in the Timeless Dimension. After the Unnamed One attempted to steal the Power, it was hidden and contained inside of a great Sword, dubbed "He", the Trollan word for Power. Initially entrusted to a Cosmic Warrior, the Sword was eventually passed down to King Grayskull, and upon his death, bound to his bloodline. The Elders of Eternia removed the Power of the Universe from the sword, combining it with their wisdom to tap into the Star Seed's magic. This new unified force was manifested as an orb now containing both raw power and secret magic. Called the "Power of Grayskull", this new power could be harmonized and channeled by the sword. After the birth of the Twin Warriors, born of Eternian and Earth bloodlines, the Sword was cloned, ensuring - as Light Hope predicted - that both twins would wield a sword of power and use its force to end the threats of the Horde Empire and the Unnamed One forever.

LOO-KEE - Hides and Sees All in Etheria: Loo-Kee is a humorous Etherian cherub imp from deep within Whispering Woods. He travels throughout Etheria and watches out for She-Ra and her friends. He is always on the side of the forces of good yet never never participates in an open conflict. His powers were bestowed to him by Lighthope allowing him to hide out and alert his friends to danger. He enjoys telling stories with morals to ensure a tale's full value and clarity is understood by all. Watch out! You never know where he might be hiding![/I]

Aside from the MOTUC bios, Emiliano once described Light Hope in a way that many of us have come to adopt as our own understanding: as "a Living Spell, created by Eldor using the Book of Living Spells, and entrusted to a delegation from Eternia tasked with finding a new world to replace Infinitia and restore balance to the universe. The First Ones cast (evoked? initiated? activated?) 'Light Hope' upon landing on a barren world, which they named Etheria, thus creating life anew on the planet. 'Light Hope' was also given responsibility for guarding the Crystal Castle."

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Telkan2; February 18, 2014 at 11:10pm.
    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Facebook

To the Powers that Be: Give me a proper King Miro figure, please!!

Heroic Warrior
    What I like is he now looks like that if he ever gets in a battle he can do a world of hurt to the forces of evil!truly the biggest surprise at toyfair, welcome to the line at long last, LIGHT HOPE!

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Light hope looks fantastic. The Horseman again, knock it out of the park. It's going to be a long wait until October!
    Most wanted: Starburst She-ra, Lodar, Vintage Toy Catra, Lady Slither, and the Great Black Wizard!

I love this fig. I am glad they made him. I love new things as long as its look is congruent with the rest of the line.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

I think the stone in the middle of his belt kinda looks like He-Ro's spell stone....
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

Seems I am in the extremely small minority here...

I just don't see in this figure the incarnation of Light Hope I had in mind. Don't get me wrong, the sculpt is great but for me, it's not Light Hope. People called him "badass" and this is exactly what I find wrong. Light Hope is not badass, Light Hope is not a warrior. His is a being of serenity and wisdom. I guess I always imagined his human incarnation as more of a majestic wizard, with a long beard, a robe and a staff, with calm and kind features. Not a muscled warrior with bulky agressive armour.

Just my two cents
    Last edited by Pegasuslb; February 19, 2014 at 01:31pm.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Great to hear he's what everybody expected (or it may seem even better than what they could even dream).

I didn't expect to change people's minds by no means. People like what they like for reasons thier own, and an action figure in an action figure forum has great chances of being well recieved.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I love the gold. I love how bright it is. It matches the color scheme perfectly, and I hope it doesn't get dulled down in production. All golds don't match in the world, nor should they match in these figures. The brighter gold seems more god-like and magical to me. Like he's from a different plane of existence where things are perhaps a bit more vibrant.
    Gold basically is the color scheme, I just don't see Light Hope as somebody that feels the need to dress himself in gold like that. I see a pharo character as a bit selfcentered, and out to impress via his wardrobe. I see Light Hope as an out-of-sight confidant, working with the poor rebellion.

There's a Chinese saying (insult if you will) - tuhao 土豪. Reminds me of this figure.

Some finishes do look cheesy with certain applications while others more appropriate. I'd like an ancient feeling gold for this particular application. I like chrome gold on my Monster Minds though. It's awesome. C3PO is great.

If Sam Kieth did a t-shirt design with Voltron, I'd buy that shirt in a split second. But it wouldn't actually be a good representation. Just cool as hell. Much like the MOTU art show showcased many talented artist take on the property, that's what this feels like. It's doesn't feel authentic, but instead like the 4H put Light Hope through thier make-a-figure process. Or that they had Gothitroplois flashbacks.

I don't collect action figures as much as many people do, but more the properties. So that's just my view point. I'd be happier with Leogs honestly. Zoar and Screeech with a single stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasuslb View Post
    I could tell I was from the start, but it's good the get thoughts out.

--

I'm not hating on the figure. Seriously. I'm just wanting more from Light Hope. Seems like a quick sale for the sub or something. Can't put my finger on it still.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Im very very impressed & very surprised to get a figure of LH
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, King Miro, Melaktha, Crystal-Man, ABC Giants, Stridor, Road Ripper, Land Shark

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I think the stone in the middle of his belt kinda looks like He-Ro's spell stone....
    I think it's just designed to mimic the repeated use of similar stone/gem on the Crystal Castle. But, who knows? They covered that part specifically on the staff and it uses a clear gem, so you could be right. I have a feeling they just felt the need to add some color to the figure and it is meaningless.

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't see in this figure the incarnation of Light Hope I had in mind. Don't get me wrong, the sculpt is great but for me, it's not Light Hope. People called him "badass" and this is exactly what I find wrong. Light Hope is not badass, Light Hope is not a warrior. His is a being of serenity and wisdom. I guess I always imagined his human incarnation as more of a majestic wizard, with a long beard, a robe and a staff, with calm and kind features. Not a muscled warrior with bulky agressive armour.

Just my two cents
    Hmm. I don't see him as "badass", not in a warrior way. He doesn't look like a warrior to me at all. He looks more godlike to me. Like a shining being of light. The staff implies royalty to me, not weaponry. I imagine this guy being powerful, but kind, just like the voice on the cartoon.

Im not disputing your opinion by any means. Just noting how funny it is that different people see completely different things. When I look at this figure, I see EXACTLY the type of person you say you wish he was. Serene, wise, majestic, wizardly, with a staff. He does have a beard, though it is short. No robe, but a cape. Close up view of his face looks kind. I'm seeing precisely what you are wanting to, but aren't. That's too funny.
    Last edited by Kreann'ot; February 19, 2014 at 06:10pm.
    Some remaining WANTS:
    Kittrina (Classics-detailed), Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast, Fright Zone, Slime Pit, and many more.

Then he wouldn't need an armor. Gods don't need armors (except in Saint Seiya, but their whole concept is based around the "cloth") Clearly there is an Odin influence here. But Odin is a warrior, and Light Hope is not.

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post

I agree totally and I'm relieved to see I'm not alone! Honestly my immediate reaction when I saw the Light Hope reveal was "THAT's Light Hope? That's ****ing ****!" and I was quite amazed to see the reaction from the fans was so positive. I guess I just don't like the idea of Light Hope having a physical form at all, his whole appeal as a character was that he was just a beam of light, a character that never needed to be made as an action figure... I'd say just have a transparent tube within the Crystal Castle playset that illuminates when you flick a light on, and that can be Light Hope... Sure, the physical form he's been given is nowhere near as bad as him being depicted as a generic king in the UK comics, but IMO it's nearly as bad... he's never been a gold-wearing warrior to my mind, and definitely not one that looks like a butch drag queen trying to impersonate She-Ra (yes, I don't even like the design that much as a character in its own right- sorry!). I'm not a fan of the idea of every base having to have an anthropomorphic character based on it as well, a la Castle Grayskullman (who I just see as a big joke).
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Then he wouldn't need an armor. Gods don't need armors (except in Saint Seiya, but their whole concept is based around the "cloth") Clearly there is an Odin influence here. But Odin is a warrior, and Light Hope is not.
    Ok. I wasn't disagreeing with you before, just pointing out how two people can look at one thing and see two different things.

But, for you to say, "Then he wouldn't need armors. Gods don't need armors..." except in some property I'm unfamiliar with (whatever Saint Seya is, it has NOTHING to do with MOTUC or my opinion of what looks "godlike", AND clearly shows you are being influenced by your other interests), well... I'm sorry but, that's presumptuous. Your opinion of what a God looks like isnt necessarily the same as anyone else's. For me to state plainly that I think he looks godlike, and you to tell me gods dont look like that...eh, WHAT?!? Are you the resident expert on godly apparel? That's all opinion based. Met any gods lately? In my OPINION, I think a god can look however a god chooses to. Trying to tell me that my opinion is factually wrong, based on some other cartoon or whatever, is frankly just weird. For the record, I don't see anything warrior-like about his attire. No weapons, most of his flesh is exposed...to me, it looks royal. Again, this is my OPINION. Reread my first post. I never attacked your opinion. Just thought it was funny that we were seeing different things. That's all.

Again, I wasnt disagreeing with you to begin with. Just pointing out something interesting about perception. Not sure why you felt the need to attempt to disprove my OPINION based on another cartoon or whatever Saint Seya is, that has nothing to do with MOTUC. But, hey, go for it.

Normally, I let things like this go and try to maintain a fun, civil personality here, but trying to disprove my OPINION is rude and offensive...and if you are going to try, best use precedent from within the MOTUC property itself. Nothing else applies here...and if you do look at MOTUC, we do have one God already given to us (Standor). Take a look at his outfit for a moment. You are welcome to your opinion and I am welcome to mine, and THAT'S OK! I was ONLY saying how funny it is how we were both looking for the same aspects, and I found them but you didn't. It was all about perception. Nothing for you to try to dismantle. I'm baffled why you felt the need.
    Last edited by Kreann'ot; February 19, 2014 at 10:53pm.
    Some remaining WANTS:
    Kittrina (Classics-detailed), Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast, Fright Zone, Slime Pit, and many more.

The POP sub got me back into collecting classics, however as smart as the Lighthope figure looks I was disappointed he was the sub exclusive and not an official original release character, with only 6 figures in the sub it's a pity a 7th spot is taken up by the four horse men's take on a character.

Heroic Warrior
    its kinda neat, if I don't get this one I will not be losing any sleep!

Heroic Warrior
    Prior to the figure's reveal I'd imagine Light Hope's 'physical form' as an old man with a beard, wearing some kind of crown-like arrangement and holding a staff - that is what I have been presented with only far better than the vague mental image I had, so I am very happy. Plus it means that already Club Etheria is more worth it for me than Club Filmation - I subscribed to the latter just to guarantee myself Shokoti and Sea Hawk, I'm subscribing to the former to grantee myself Razz, Light Hope and Entrapta and the other two final two figures aren't even revealed (if I'm right and one's Perfuma, that'll be 4 'personal essentials' to Filmation's 2!)

Australian MOTU Fanatic! Aussie Stinkor's Avatar
    Fully respect POP but not really a collector of POP but i really love Light Hope...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app