Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How much is SPACE an issue to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    Wakko your room continues to be the gold standard to me - that's very much how I'd like to display mine, lined up with each having their own space to breathe where you can see each figure clearly. Beautiful.
    I second this. Iíd love to have a space like Wakkoís...I really like how the room is designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space is a huge issue for me, as my apartment is tiny! I thought that after Mattel stopped the line, I would get a break, but man...Super 7 is just sucking me back into getting every piece. Ugh. I may have to get rid of the cat and an armchair.

There's always space issues. My wife let me have the basement for my collection, so I overtook the finished area with Classics and my entire vintage collections. The unfinished basement side has built in shelves that house all vintage boxes. Also took over one of the extra bedrooms with the uss flagg, terrordrome etc. too much stuff!
    Last edited by Spikor1982; April 24, 2018 at 02:56pm.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Space is a killer for me. I basically can't collect anything anymore, I feel like a hoarder with all the boxes full of stuff in my basement. I have three kids so I don't have room to store anything until one of them moves out.

I have a spare bedroom in my house which is my Nerd Room. Itís got my MOTU and my vintage game stuff. With the advent of things like Everdrives and SD card CD Rom drive replacements, I donít really worry about the physical games anymore. To me itís about the hardware and accessories; those are cooler to look at and touch than cartridges.

Oh yeah, MOTU. I posted my collection in the collection thread, but I have a whole wall with shelves nearly ceiling to floor. The wall that my MOTU shelves is on is the same wall the door is on, so I could rearrange the room to move the MOTU stuff to the opposite wall and have another 6X3 cubes. Space isnít that much of a concern yet, but itís damn close!

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    Living in Los Angeles and being a collector who believes in displaying his collection (instead of just storing it) space is by far is the most expensive aspect of collecting for me. In places like L.A., NYC, San Fran, etc. regardless of how rare or expensive the items in your collection are the truth is it will likely never equal the value of the square footage they are actually occupying.

I have a HUGE collection so until recently I had over 3.5 rooms in my place which were filled with just my collectibles. And as crazy as it sounds that still wasn't enough space! For the past 2 years or so things in those 3 rooms were slowly getting over crowded. And in the past year as I kept adding more and more 8 foot tall cabinets to squeeze into those rooms things were getting so packed in you could barely move around in those 3 toy rooms to really enjoy the collection. It had gone from 3 great toy room displays to 3 big messes!

So now, luckily, I'm currently in the middle of a remodel and adding addition rooms that will end up adding an extra 900 square feet with 2 additional rooms (plus some added walkways/closets/etc.) that will be purely additional collection space. This will take my toy/comic/etc. collection space up from being 3.5 rooms to 5.5 rooms plus some additional hallways/walk-ins that will connect the rooms and contain additional parts of my collection.

So I'm lucky that things worked out to where I was able to do that. It's not cheep!--especially in L.A. where square footage is often a premium. But as crazy as it sounds, even with the equivilant of 6 full rooms to display all my stuff I'm still worried that as the collection grows naturally it still may not be enough sooner versus later. Even now as the remodel is progressing and I'm slowly getting all my 8 foot tall display cabinets shifted around (or building new ones) and I'm starting to try to figure out how things are going to be made to fit I still keep finding myself overestimating how much stuff I can fit in each cabinet, on each wall, in each room, etc.

So we'll see. It will be exciting once I get everything set up, and get all the collectibles back on display--I just hope it ends up being enough collection space to last a long while--with L.A. prices I don't see myself adding any additional square footage or getting an additional 7th toy room any time soon. lol
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Malektha/Twiggets/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Vizar/
    Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi/Gleep/UR
    MISC:Delora/MOPDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Damon
    BEASTS:Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/Mantisaur/
    TyrantisaurousRex/Moonbeam/Sundancer

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Four bedrooms, two hallways, living room, dining are. kitchen and two baths, plus a screened in porch. And 55 years of toys. Yup, space is a problem. Seriously considering converting the porch into a larger room down the line. But there are things right now I pass on as much due to space concerns as price point, and I can compete with the Time Lords when it comes to utilizing space...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I have a 8x10 bedroom/office. Probably for the best...
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

http://give.transplants.org/goto/justintrease

Space was certainly a deciding factor in my decision to stop being a completist and sell off. I displayed in my office using deep Ikea bookcases. Now that I have sold most of everything off, I have gone from 18 shelves of figures down to just 2.

Honestly, if Super 7 had kept the quality up and maintained a reliable release schedule, I don't think the space would have bothered me as much. But since they are so slow in releasing product, I've been left to just stare at the collection getting dusty. And with Super 7's focus on Filmation, their avoidance of characters that I desire (like NA) and their shoddy quality, I wasn't really anticipating adding much more to the shelves. So I was effectively done with my collection.

And what really got me excited about MOTUC all these years was adding a new figure to the display every month. Having to rearrange the shelves and constantly rethink my display was fun, instead of simply staring at a static collection.

Now I can get rid of 2 bookcases and really streamline my whole toy collection. I'm really excited about not having a collection that is 75% MOTU. It's more visually appealing to have an even mix of toys.
    Last edited by Uncle Jake; May 17, 2018 at 11:51am.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

What is the best storage method? Plastic bag each figure and then box them away? I was actually thinking a large comic book box for them.
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

Heroic Warrior
    I use these:

https://www.target.com/p/hefty-18-qu...d/-/A-16644158

I stand each figure up with three figures fitting on each row. I like to stand the figures up because piling them up usually means warped plastic after awhile. Anyway, the hi-rise bins i linked are the only ones that I have found that are tall enough for the classics figures. Since space is limited, I keep the majority of figurs stored at each time and I keep a select number out on shelves. The upside to this is that each time I bring a set of figures out, they feel new again as I hadn't seen them for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by zeiss View Post
    I use these:

https://www.target.com/p/hefty-18-qu...d/-/A-16644158

I stand each figure up with three figures fitting on each row. I like to stand the figures up because piling them up usually means warped plastic after awhile. Anyway, the hi-rise bins i linked are the only ones that I have found that are tall enough for the classics figures. Since space is limited, I keep the majority of figurs stored at each time and I keep a select number out on shelves. The upside to this is that each time I bring a set of figures out, they feel new again as I hadn't seen them for awhile.

How many figured fit in each? I am assuming you don't bag them?
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

I haven't really dedicated myself to how I display my figures. Right now my favored MOTUC figures are displayed on this rather small 5 shelf corner piece in the basement and also on top of this lower set pantry that's nearby. I also have some thrown together shelves in my art room that I have some cool but less favorable MOTUC figures, Marvel Legends and DCUC figures. I really wish I could display my collection better but my basement isn't a finished basement and I just can't see investing in better display cases yet.

Court Magician
    I've got half a basement to display my toys. When the shelves are full, I'll have to stop purchasing toys. Until then, I'll build a few more display cases and buy action figures as space and money allow.

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    These days I feel like I have more space between my ears.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    How many figured fit in each? I am assuming you don't bag them?
    24 figures in each bin. I bag them in Gallon size ziplock bags which three figures in each bag standing side by side, along with their accessories.

I did make it work out, that space problem.
    But I have to be creative when wave 3 and ultimates finally arrive here, those are 6 boxes for my already packed space.

(Wave 4 will be the final blow for sure with another 6 boxed figures.)

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I still have a little room for growth left...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4668/...403779e8_h.jpg
    Nice to see some thought put into a display. More often than not most ppl spend a fortune on these things and then cheap out on stuffy old wooden bookcases as an after thought.

Regards the question no, space is no issue. I extended to get a room for my collection that MOTUC is only one corner of. If anything I'd want more space for a pool table, not for figures lol

Space is an issue due to the amount of "stuff". If I got rid of my LEGO, Transformers, some board games, DVDs/Blu-Rays, comics, or art books, space won't be an issue anymore for MOTU stuff, but I kinda like the other stuff I have as well ... so all the MOTU stuff is packed together like passengers during peak hour public transport.

For example, the box that has my Classics Roton also has a heap of Evil Warriors (Skeletor, Tri-Klops, Beastman, etc.) in there. Similarly, my Battle-Ram box has He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Man-E-Faces, etc. as well. And they are just in their boxes, never seeing the light of day except that one time during Christmas. Yeah, I know they deserve better, but ... space is an issue. :0

I just got my Club Grayskull and new Ultimates in last week and I took this vid of my collection in the ol' man cave a week or two before. I just had enough room to add them to my set up. The next couple figs will cause me to put shelving on my last wall! I'm almost out of room!

Last edited by Beerternia; March 25, 2019 at 06:47am.
    Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

How much is SPACE an issue to you?

Finally had to pack away my 200x figure and staction collection to make room for more MOTUC.

Iíll break them out again someday.

IMG_4568.jpg
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Space is rather tight right now even though my apartment is not particularly small. In fact, lack of space is more likely to be the reason I probably won't be getting Snake Mountain than cost. I can certainly afford Snake Mountain with the 6-month payment plan, but I've already run out of display space and storage space. I would have to get rid of a lot of stuff to make enough space for something that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerternia View Post
    I just got my Club Grayskull and new Ultimates in last week and I took this vid of my collection in the ol' man cave a week or two before. I just had enough room to add them to my set up. The next couple figs will cause me to put shelving on my last wall! I'm almost out of room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFKkDRj-gis
    That room is only a dream to most, including me.. thanks for sharing.. Wishing you a BA Faker, it seems that is one of the signifant figure I did not saw there.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; March 31, 2019 at 01:00am.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!