Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I seriously think Matty raised their shipping prices on purpose!!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when

I seriously think Matty raised their shipping prices on purpose!!

Yeah, this is sort of a conspiracy theory, but I seriously think Matty decided to raise our shipping charges this month just because they are supposedly going to start combining shipping with the next time Voltron and 30th subs ship. I got charged $15 in shipping for my MOTUC sub, $16 for my Voltron sub, and $15 for my 30th sub. WHAT THE FLYING HECK!!?? I can understand the cost of the MOTUC sub because there are 6 figures in that box, but the 30th sub is the same price and is only has two figures in there, while the Voltron sub is also just a lion and a pilot. THAT IS INSANE!!! I just paid $46 in shipping. I want my money back!!!!!!
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gotta dig Nutnog's style. audman's Avatar
    Yeah it is looking like they are forcing us to buy stuff in bulk so maybe we should just pool our funds locally and buy 10 or whatever we are limited to save on shipping and/or become scalpers so we can afford to justify 15 bucks shipping yuck.
    Highly Recommended for Fantastic Trades/sales: cayman shen, ElkThunder, Geek-man,

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Lando-hd.jpg
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

I agree the shipping prices are odd but a shipping increase did happen across the board at USPS and some other agencies a few weeks back. With rising gas costs (how do you think items get from Point A to Point B) and fuel costs shipping is going to keep going up.

Now with that said, I do think its ridiculous that Photog cost $13 but the MOTUC sub that has 3x more items (or in my case 6x since I have 2 subs) costs "normal" levels. The Voltron one is understandable to an extent because its a larger box, size of box changes price of shipping

Photog is the only WTH one of the bunch though
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by GozzoMan View Post

Lando-hd.jpg
    LOL Perfect

Dr Kain, dont have a heart attack, but I agree with most of what you said. These shipping charges are crazy! i wish they i could just use my UPS shipper number, it would cost me less lol.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I agree the shipping prices are odd but a shipping increase did happen across the board at USPS and some other agencies a few weeks back. With rising gas costs (how do you think items get from Point A to Point B) and fuel costs shipping is going to keep going up.

Now with that said, I do think its ridiculous that Photog cost $13 but the MOTUC sub that has 3x more items (or in my case 6x since I have 2 subs) costs "normal" levels. The Voltron one is understandable to an extent because its a larger box, size of box changes price of shipping

well if my email is correct they only charged me $7.15 for my voltorn shipping lol go figure
    Last edited by fireball13z; February 16, 2012 at 11:30am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    LOL Perfect

Dr Kain, dont have a heart attack, but I agree with most of what you said. These shipping charges are crazy! i wish they i could just use my UPS shipper number, it would cost me less lol.

well if im email is correct they only charged me $7.15 for my voltorn shipping lol go figure
    Seriously, if I could pop in my UPS or FEDEX Account Number and just have them drop off the box I would save a ton of money
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Seriously, if I could pop in my UPS or FEDEX Account Number and just have them drop off the box I would save a ton of money
    Curious, how do you get a number from UPS and what is the advantage to it?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by audman View Post
    Yeah it is looking like they are forcing us to buy stuff in bulk so maybe we should just pool our funds locally and buy 10 or whatever we are limited to save on shipping and/or become scalpers so we can afford to justify 15 bucks shipping yuck.
    I do this with other collectors. The shipping on our 4 subscriptions for 30th Anniversary figures was ~$14.65 (they didn't break out the tax and shipping so that's a quick estimate). The shipping on 4 subs for February was $17.95. That's $3 more for 3x as many figures. It is well worth it to pool subscriptions.

I was charged $14.95 in tax and shipping for 2 Photogs, that does seem a bit excessive. Tax is about $3.50, so $11.45 to ship from CA to WA. That does seem extremely expensive for a cheap shipping company. I am glad they will all be combined next time, supposedly. OK, now I am getting curious about this amount of shipping too.

AMEN! Yes, shipping rates when up with everyone, and when they did, we had a lot of customers complaints into our customer service office. It is SOOO enjoyable to be charged for a large box with one small box packed inside. What is likely happening in some cases is that items shipped are priced on three things: weight, dimensions, and destination (along with distance, some destinations cost more just because they may not be high traffic areas for the shipping carrier). I don't agree with the charges; just trying to find something to explain them. I suspect that we might be getting the wool pulled over somewhere.

So far my shipping total for this month is $31.00
    Last edited by Southzen; February 16, 2012 at 12:07pm.

Heroic Warrior

But if you got to UPS or USPS websites and mock up the different shipments, the price doesn't quadruple, triple or even really double when you compare a package the size and weight of one figure to a package the size and weight of 3-6 figures. There is a flat rate and then additional pounds and inches in dimensions only cause a very minor incremental increase in price, increasing only about 50-60% for 6 figures compared to 1 figure.

Also, don't forget, Mattel, like most companies, isn't billing us for the actual shipping amount, but rather shipping and handling... that handling puts the price over whatever it might cost any of us to ship the same package, because we don't calculate the cost to pack something up and get it ready to go out the door (whether that be stacking at the dock for pickup or driving to a UPS location or whatever the case may be for each of us).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Well I have one from the buisness I run, and we have our own contract worked out, so I get volume discount on my shipping. Which Im DR does, but sadly DR and other companys use shipping as "free" money sometimes.

Say they get charged $8 and they charge us $14, they just keep the extra $6 to pay for other expenses. To point I dont have an issue with this practice, but some companys like DR take too much advantage with the shipping charges
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

It Looks Like We ARE Getting Combined Shipping on Subs Ordered Together Afterall!

My shipping charges have been pretty reasonable, but I picked the USPS option for my subs. My current Fisto, Sorceress and Shadow Weaver shipment is $11.75 in shipping. I believe I was charged around $8.70 for Photog's shipping. I take it those of you getting these higher charges picked UPS?

Also, I just did a bunch of headache enducing figuring and cross referencing between my orders on Matty, confirmation emails, some calculating, and some packaging tracking... and I just realized that in a round-about way, I actually did get a "combined" shipping charge for my MOTUC and Voltron subs. In fact, I actually got a discount thanks to the screw up with the canceled Ghostbusters Sub.

When I originally placed my sub orders, I had ordered the 3 subs... MOTUC, Voltron, and Ghostbusters (the 30th sub wasn't available at the time and I ordered it separately later).

Even though I only got charged at the time of sign up for the sign up fees (and later got reimbursed the $20 from the GB sub), the total dollar amount shown as the total when signing up includes the charge for the first figure in each sub, and a combined total tax charge (where applicable... which it is applicable in my case), and a total shipping charge.

In my case, the shipping total from that initial order for all 3 subs was $12.15 (remember that number, this will be important in a bit). Also of note is that the tax rate that I get charged in IL is 6.25%.

I think the real reason (as others have mentioned) that the Star Sisters were broken up into 2 payments wasn't so much for the convenience to the fans who weren't planning to have the funds available for them up front (though it worked out in helping those people), but rather because originally the Sorceress was the only planned January figure. So what I (and likely everyone else) was charged for that initial 'Star Sisters' payment was the $20 for what would have been a single figure, the tax on that, and the portion of the shipping proportionally allocated to that part of the order.

In other words, my total for the first "installment" was $24.35. $20 was the initial portion of the cost of the figures, $1.25 was the 6.25% tax on that, and the shipping is $3.10. My second later installment was for $42.50, which was just the $40 balance on the Star Sisters and $2.50 for tax (no additional shipping was added on).

I just got my confrimation email for the Voltron Red Lion/Lance today, the total on which was $59.08. And I figured out the breakdown... $50 for the items, $3.13 in tax, and $5.95 in shipping.

So if we add the total shipping from the first "Star Sisters" $20 shipment (which was originally meant to be the Sorceress), and the shipping from the Voltron items, it comes out to $9.05..... which is exactly $3.10 short of the original $12.15 shipping total on my original sub order... which would have been the portion that would have been charged with the first Ghostbusters figure had that sub still gone through.

And note how the $3.10 that would have gone towards the first $20 GB figure is the exact same amount as was allocated to the initial $20 MOTUC figure for shipping (which originally was going to be the Sorceress)

So, it breaks down as follows:

$12.15 in combined total shipping for the initial shipments of all 3 subs breaks down as:

$5.95 in shipping allocated to the $50 Voltron item (approximately 49% of the total $12.15 shipping charge)
    $3.10 in shipping allocated to the originally planned $20 initial MOTUC figure (approximately 25.5% of the total $12.15 shipping charge)
    $3.10 in shpping allocated to the originally planned initial GB sub figure that was canceled that therefore was never charged (also approximately $25.5% of the total $12.15 shipping charge).

This was a bit of a pain to figure out since the weird way the initial shipments work out (plus the added complications of the GB sub getting canceled and the Star Sisters coming out instead in January and being split into 2 payments) really complicated things, but I used a recent regular, simple order with a clear break down of the figure cost, tax, and shipping to figure out my tax % (dividing the total tax by the base price of the figure), then I used that to determine how much of these totals were tax, and subtracted that and the figure price out to get the shipping costs.

ALSO OF NOTE: I went to my order history on Matty and found my original order in signing up for these subs. Next to the listing for The Red Lion and Lance was a hyperlinked tracking number which took me to the tracking status of the package. It showed up as package 2 in the order, with package 1 having been the Star Sisters which were delivered in late January. (note that I have the USPS cornerstone logistics shipping or whatever it's called).

I don't know for sure if this would work out differently for anyone who picked UPS, but if you ordered multiple subs together, I would go back and find your original order for those subs, see what the total shipping charge was, and then check how much you were charged in shipping for your Star Sisters, Red Lion/Lance from Voltron, and/or any other initial shipments from any subs that were ordered together. Those shipping costs should add up to no more than the total shipping charge shown in that initial order (and maybe less if you had ordered a GB sub which got canceled).
    ***And make sure that you are factoring the tax out of things (i.e. if you get a shipping confirmation for the Voltron shipment with a total like mine of $59.08, with no actual breakdown of what portions are tax and shipping, don't assume that the shipping is $9.08.... because part of that was tax).

Well, here are the prices for International Shipping:

3x MOTUC figures & Map = $15.55
    1x Red Lion and Lance = $9.95

Now, before people jump in and whine about how we're getting it cheaper, bear in mind it took 29 (yes folks, you read that right, 29) days for my Star Sisters to arrive! If I used a faster, tracked service I'd be paying, no word of a lie, $45 shipping for one figure. If they bump up the international shipping rates then that really will be my breaking point.
    Filmation style means Filmation stye!

and we are probably seeing the UPS increase that happened in early 2011 (or was it late 2010), but for 2011, matty said all subbers would get the shipping price they locked in at (rather than increasing it on us).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    You have to register with each company for a shipping account, you can do this either as a business or personal. If you ship a large volume you get discounts, if you ship often you can get discounts.

Wow, I see cheaper shipping to IL from CA than to WA, and I am getting the crappy Cornerstone shipping, so their costs make no logical sense.

My costs from USPS & cornerstone is still the same at it's been for months $8.70 for one basics figure & 10.55 for 2, it has not gone up for me, as far as the USPS ground goes that is.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Beast Man & Evil Seed
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Matty has a deeper plot here. They want the master mold and rights to Plastorr, so they are sending a message to you by raising the price on your shipping

10-15-2011 1:30pm Eastern
    The MOTUC line and all its fans were taken for the ass

Let us never forget.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GozzoMan View Post

Lando-hd.jpg
    Matty- Pray I don't alter it any further.

Gotta dig Nutnog's style. audman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Matty has a deeper plot here. They want the master mold and rights to Plastorr, so they are sending a message to you by raising the price on your shipping

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/263/plastorr.jpg
    How did you get a hold of Sir lazer lot so early.....
    Highly Recommended for Fantastic Trades/sales: cayman shen, ElkThunder, Geek-man,

Heroic Warrior
    The motuc subs and 30th anniversary subs are shipping separately? I thought if you had both they were shipping them together? I just look at my order history. They haven't even sent me anything regarding my fearless photogs.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by greyskull1 View Post
    The motuc subs and 30th anniversary subs are shipping separately? I thought if you had both they were shipping them together? I just look at my order history. They haven't even sent me anything regarding my fearless photogs.
    At best, only shipping together if you ordered them at the same time (which most people didn't do, since we didn't know the 30th sub was coming)... Even then there is some confusion on whether they should ship together as the conversation has been a bit vague. Ideally, if ordered separately, the first shipment from each sub would be shipped separately from any other sub, and then in a month when both/all subs are shipping, they could be combined (by customer choice).

Unedited Director's Cut
    I don't see the problem. $80.25 for 3 whole action figures? Yeah, that sounds about right....
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

The shipping via UPS for Photog is $13+ for me... then add the tax on that shipping charge. It's ridiculous.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot