Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Funko MOTU POP! Vinyl and Wacky Wobblers discussion

Heroic Warrior
    If the relationship isn’t over, I want a POP! Town Grayskull and Snake Mountain. POP! Town buildings look to be about 5 inches, which is IMHO better for a toy scale Mega Construx backdrop.

If it is over... eh. Mattel’s being dumb lately. Funko will probably end up buying MOTU at a bankruptcy auction if the movie doesn’t happen or bombs. Mattel is failing to get product out and sitting on IPs rather than producing or licensing out. See: She-Ra.

Their best foothold into boys toys is wrestling and I think they’re probably doing no better, no worse than any other licensee would do. Disney’s supposedly wanted Barbie forever and Mattel will eventually sell to keep the lights on.

Mattel would have been better off to partner with Funko on vintage figures. Super7 is Super7 but Mattel is inching away from retail presence with the licensing deals it does pursue. Super7 probably is more favorable to Mattel than Funko would be but doesn’t get them or their brands visibility.

It’s kind of like how comics skewed to the Direct Market over new stands. Except Funko and Walmart treated Mattel better than news stands treated Marvel or DC and Super7 doesn’t have the retail power of Diamond Distributors.

The comic publishers were printing 2 million copies and having to take 75% back in returns. And retailers offered them niche visibility in every urban and most suburban markets. Marvel buyers would still SEE DC books and vice versa.

By contrast, Funko wasn’t COSTING Mattel money on MOTU product. Hell, Savage World/Primal Age likely BOOSTED MOTU Vintage sales. And going all in on Super7 and Loyal Subjects means MOTU gets zero visibility with anyone for impulse purchases; they’d benefit more from sharing shelf space with competitors than being separate. FYE has a handful of locations if that in many places.

Found this piece on Funko's blog of a MotU picture that was meant to be in the World of Pop! book, but was canned. No new characters, but it's a nice piece.

I just picked up Stinkor and Buzz-Off over the weekend. They cost a bit more than I ever thought I'd pay for a POP! but considering they might be kind of a now or never thing for the MOTU collection I scooped them up.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Spikor and Scareglow have really gone up in price lately. I should have snagged them when they were going for around $75. Now they are going for $150 to $300. Who woulda thunk lol. And then there's She-Ra. Sigh.

Does Funko ever re-release vaulted figures? Really want to get the first He-Man and Skeletor POPs. I might bite the bullet and get them off Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenkdr View Post
    Does Funko ever re-release vaulted figures? Really want to get the first He-Man and Skeletor POPs. I might bite the bullet and get them off Ebay.
    You know that's gonna be around $300 to $400, or you could just get Battle Armor He-Man and Skeletor for about 40 bucks lol.

Heroic Warrior
    No. But they do release figures with new poses of vaulted figures. Assuming they still have the rights they might do basic costume He-Man and Skeletor in action poses or running/leaping/sword aloft/etc.

Or metallic deco or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    You know that's gonna be around $300 to $400, or you could just get Battle Armor He-Man and Skeletor for about 40 bucks lol.
    Yeah, I already got the Battle Armor versions. I avoided MOTU POPs for a long time. But now that I've got a few, the collector in me wants them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    No. But they do release figures with new poses of vaulted figures. Assuming they still have the rights they might do basic costume He-Man and Skeletor in action poses or running/leaping/sword aloft/etc.

Or metallic deco or whatever.
    Cool. Good to know.

Yeah, I already got the Battle Armor versions. I avoided MOTU POPs for a long time. But now that I've got a few, the collector in me wants them all.
    Oh I completely understand lol. I have all of them except for He-Man, Skeletor. She-Ra, Spikor, Scareglow, and Disco Skeletor, and will probably never own any of them lol.

I picked up Buzz-Off last week at a convention for $21, so I think I did well there. But like some (many?) others, there are a few I missed out on that I will likely never own. I remember seeing He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, Hordak, and Spikor at my local comic shop when they first hit, and I didn't have any Pops so I passed. I went back some time later and got He-Man and Hordak, but the others were gone. Oops! I had no idea Pops would get so popular.

If I could only choose one from the figures I don't have, I'd go with Skeletor. He's so classic, and I can't believe I have a regular He-Man with no regular Skeletor. It doesn't seem right. After that, my list goes Stinkor, Disco Skeletor, and Scare Glow. Ram-Man and She-Ra are great, too, but Ram-Man was over $100 at that same convention last week. And I can forget about She-Ra if I can't even afford Ram-Man.

YMMV, but my local FYE has all Funko POP cereal boxes on clearance for $3. I believe the boxes were something like $12 or more full price (outrageous). Anyway, I just picked up the Skeletor cereal with battle armor mini-POP figure for $3. It's worth that price for the figure and box. The cereal itself is crap. It's like sugar-coated styrofoam.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    YMMV, but my local FYE has all Funko POP cereal boxes on clearance for $3. I believe the boxes were something like $12 or more full price (outrageous). Anyway, I just picked up the Skeletor cereal with battle armor mini-POP figure for $3. It's worth that price for the figure and box. The cereal itself is crap. It's like sugar-coated styrofoam.
    Love the Funko Cereal boxes! I flattened and framed mine, looks great. The actual cereal...eh, it's a collectible based product...not really about the eating...

Seems like the relationship for MotU and Funko still is lingering on!

NYCC gave a new Funko series announcement: Funko Soda. It's not a real soda like that weird release was, just seems to be soda cans for the packaging with a different figure design.

Anyways, during the picture taking for news, He-Man and Skeletor each have packages for it. Going by the alternate colors of other figures, there might be alternate variants of them, too.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZootyCutie View Post
    Seems like the relationship for MotU and Funko still is lingering on!

NYCC gave a new Funko series announcement: Funko Soda. It's not a real soda like that weird release was, just seems to be soda cans for the packaging with a different figure design.

Anyways, during the picture taking for news, He-Man and Skeletor each have packages for it. Going by the alternate colors of other figures, there might be alternate variants of them, too.
    I like the look of these, very retro

I hope the Funko agreement is still in place, the Pops were really nicely done as well as the MOTU pint size heroes.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Interesting.

I agree that I hope Mattel and Funko keep their relationship going. Funko has incredible distribution and they can get their product into places Mattel probably never could. Also, there is no way that Mattel could match what Funko does with what they release. Funko has too large of a fanbase and too big of a monopoly on the stylized vinyl products for Mattel to compete with them. Mattel needs to stick to action figures and such and just sit back, leave the "pop culture merchandise" to Funko, and collect the licensing fees.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"