Thread: Glut, Grant, Cohn, Alcala, Texeira and Timm are the real Masters of the Universe

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar

Glut, Grant, Cohn, Alcala, Texeira and Timm are the real Masters of the Universe

The writers of the minicomics Gary Cohn, Steve Grant and Donald F. Glut and the drawing artists Alfredo P. Alcala, Mark Texeira and Bruce Timm are the real Masters of the Universe because they contributed to make some of the best stories ever. King of Castle Grayskull, Terror of Tri-klops, He-man and the Power Sword and The King of the Snakemen are some the stellar line-up minicomics you can read and collect.

Cohn, Glut, Alcala and Texeira made and capture the essence of the primitive, barbaric and violent MOTU world where He-man was just a regular tribe man who saved the Green Goddess skin and receive from her the prize of technology gadgets to beat the bad guys rears. Also Prince Adam(in the first minicomics) and Orko where no where to be found, Randor and Marlena used to be generic nameless royal rulers, Man-At-Arms didn't have a mustache and used to look younger, Teela was just a mere clone of the Goddess of Grayskull(that one later retconned as the ), Trap Jaw was an ultra powerful villain from other planet who nearly destroyed both He-man and Skeletor in his first appearance and Skeletor was a demon from another dimension who was just your regular antisocial villain.

Grant and Timm made some of the best post prehistoric MOTU world stories like the King of the Snakemen and the Search of Keldor where they incorporated core elements of the Eternian history like King Hiss and his Snakemen, the Three Towers of Eternia and the retconned of Skeletor as the lost brother of King Randor.

The stories that got made in between by other artists and writers are average to mediocre at best like Leech the Suction Master and Spikor Strikes. You can see in plain view they just wrote and drew them in the blink of an eye to get quick cash. By contrast the gentlemen I mentioned before showed us their unique and amazing talent and dedication of write and draw stories of high quality that are the most commented and remembered by all of us. It's a shame Mattel didn't kept Cohn, Glut, Alcala and Texeira to make the in-between other stories.

Thank you guys for inspiring our minds with that excellent minicomics. We are going to remember them forever and ever.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis649 View Post
    where He-man was just a regular tribe man who saved the Green Goddess skin
    Well in first mini-comic ever she was Sorceress. Then later in DC comics and wave 2 mini-comics (after He-Man meets Ram-Man) did she become Goddess.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The first minicomics (along with the toys) created a great base from which the rest of MOTU was created. Some of the stuff the follow was good and not so good.
    I like how in a few Texeira minicomics (can't remember which) Randor is an elderly king and looks more fitting IMO, than the recognized Randor.
    Greyskull was mysterious and magic and technology weren't hokey. They were expansive for only having 16 small pages to present.
    For me the original Alcala and Texeira minicomics are the definitive MOTU.

There seemed to be a sense of peril or a possibility that He Man could be bested in these minicomics that was absent in later waves and the cartoon. I had no doubt that He Man would win out in Filmation (that had some charm too- seeing him muster the strength to win).
    The menace in the early stories was real. I was as excited for them(&sometimes more!) as I was for the toys. The same cannot be said for the later minicomics.

I am a fan of R.E. Howard and these minicomics were the closest thing a child could get to that barbaric fantasy world. I found the Conan movies and the better literature by Howard and others because of the early minicomics. My continuing love of fantasy was inspired by them..
    Last edited by mollusc herald; February 18, 2012 at 04:31pm.

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Well in first mini-comic ever she was Sorceress. Then later in DC comics and wave 2 mini-comics (after He-Man meets Ram-Man) did she become Goddess.
    You are right. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by mollusc herald View Post
    I like how in a few Texeira minicomics (can't remember which) Randor is an elderly king and looks more fitting IMO, than the recognized Randor.
    The Ordeal of MEF and the Magic Stealer.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Heroic Warrior
    If they dont get Arnold Schwarzenegger to play king Randor soon, he will look like an elderly man.

This is why I strongly believe that a Masters of the Universe movie would be most successful if based on the early mini-comics world. I loved the barbarian like nature of them. Like you said, it showed He-Man in real peril.

The artwork in the first mini-comics would be a perfect starting point for storyboards for a new movie.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Louis649 View Post
    The writers of the minicomics Gary Cohn, Steve Grant and Donald F. Glut and the drawing artists Alfredo P. Alcala, Mark Texeira and Bruce Timm are the real Masters of the Universe because they contributed to make some of the best stories ever. King of Castle Grayskull, Terror of Tri-klops, He-man and the Power Sword and The King of the Snakemen are some the stellar line-up minicomics you can read and collect.

Cohn, Glut, Alcala and Texeira made and capture the essence of the primitive, barbaric and violent MOTU world where He-man was just a regular tribe man who saved the Green Goddess skin and receive from her the prize of technology gadgets to beat the bad guys rears. Also Prince Adam(in the first minicomics) and Orko where no where to be found, Randor and Marlena used to be generic nameless royal rulers, Man-At-Arms didn't have a mustache and used to look younger, Teela was just a mere clone of the Goddess of Grayskull(that one later retconned as the ), Trap Jaw was an ultra powerful villain from other planet who nearly destroyed both He-man and Skeletor in his first appearance and Skeletor was a demon from another dimension who was just your regular antisocial villain.

Grant and Timm made some of the best post prehistoric MOTU world stories like the King of the Snakemen and the Search of Keldor where they incorporated core elements of the Eternian history like King Hiss and his Snakemen, the Three Towers of Eternia and the retconned of Skeletor as the lost brother of King Randor.

The stories that got made in between by other artists and writers are average to mediocre at best like Leech the Suction Master and Spikor Strikes. You can see in plain view they just wrote and drew them in the blink of an eye to get quick cash. By contrast the gentlemen I mentioned before showed us their unique and amazing talent and dedication of write and draw stories of high quality that are the most commented and remembered by all of us. It's a shame Mattel didn't kept Cohn, Glut, Alcala and Texeira to make the in-between other stories.

Thank you guys for inspiring our minds with that excellent minicomics. We are going to remember them forever and ever.
    Amen to that! Agreed 100%!
    I am the Green Goddess!
    https://amzn.to/2N420aD

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    There is no doubt in my mind that these original mini-comics along with the vintage toys themselves are still the best MOTU has to offer. Mark Taylor needs to be mentioned here too for designing a lot of the characters we know and love.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that these original mini-comics along with the vintage toys themselves are still the best MOTU has to offer. Mark Taylor needs to be mentioned here too for designing a lot of the characters we know and love.
    I agree, Mark Taylor is the original Master of the Universe.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast