Thread: Problems vs Fun

Problems vs Fun

SO here we are again, another month, another QC alarm raised. We didn't all order Photog and they haven't all been delivered, so the anxiety over receiving a broken one is now pretty high. (understandably). Now there are times when it feels like the QC issues are rampant and it plagues this toyline. I'm not jumping on that soapbox, and I'm not making an 'apologists' plea either. I'm just going to weigh in on something.

Now maybe it's the springlike weather we are currently enjoying in Toronto, but from this morning's drive into work I've been feeling kind of young. the smell in the air and the slight warmth in the breeze has me feeling nostalgic. So I log onto the org and I start reading different threads. I don't know about the rest of you but when I think of MOTU from ths perspective, there are several great sensations i experience. there are smells I can smell, tastes I can taste and feelings that just well up inside of me. I love those feelings. The first MOTU figure I ever got was Man-At-Arms. WAY back in 1982. his right leg was shorter than his left. So my first MOTU figure ever had a QC issue, but I loved it like crazy. As a kid I didn't care too much about such things, but I'm an adult now and display is more important than play regarding my toys.

I've been thinking about all the QC issues in this line, also I've been looking at the funny pictures and spymonkey threads, I've realized these toys are (for me) WAY more fun than the QC issues it struggles with. Now that's not an excuse for Mattel to keep up the bad work regarding Quality control, but I still enjoy these toys despite the issues that have constantly popped up.

You may hear me complain about stuff, you may hear me rant and rave about bad decisions, bad QC or Mattel not pushing the line as they should (reading the latest commentary on stratos made me cringe even though it confirms lot of what I think about mattel's upper management) but at the end of the day this line is still a lot of fun for me and I'm glad that I can still enjoy my figures (except Goddess, I don't touch her at all!)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    I remember as a kid hunting for a star wars snow trooper. It was crazy because GI joe was starting to take over that aisle and it became
    almost impossible to find star wars figures anywhere!! Finally one day at toys r us i walked past an end cap that had star wars figures!!!
    There it was, the imperial snow trooper, I snatched it so fast and begged my mother to buy it. Finally, when I got outside, I ripped open the package only to find the right foot was warped real bad. It looked like a potato attached to his leg. I was upset but it was the only left, so I kept it. But honestly I could never get past the foot and yet at the same time it was my favorite figure.
    Last edited by Romadon; February 22, 2012 at 04:20pm.

I must be really lucky as I haven't had many problems at all with DR or QC even though my figures come all the way to the UK. This line hasn't really caused me any stress at all thank goodness. I've had the odd thing here and there I haven't liked but no more than any other line I have brought over 100 products from.

Well I stick to the line despite qc's and answers from the brand manager.

When I hold a MOTUC fig I'm always surprised at how awesome they are, they make me happy.

But to be honest I separate the forum from the figs, in fact I try to look at the forums with the tabs not loading images, that way when I think of SS, I may think of him decorating the Tree in the Christmas Special (like in the back-cover of the dvd), and not "oh-oh qc, it's not widespread so risk it to see if you get a replacement, or a refund with a 9$ loss".

You may think it's crazy, and you're right, but it works for me.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

I don't have many problems, I guess, so it doesn't ruin my fun. Backwards shoulders don't hinder my figures, Roboto is uncracked, I saw Snout Spout's trunk as a bad move in plastic choice so I didn't pose it in such a way that it worried me, and I saw Jewelstar's hair was cracking so I store her in such a way that it won't break. My Goddess broke finally, but she mostly stands anyway, so I glued her up and stood her back in her position. That's a couple out of a LOT of toys. I'm still having a good time. Heck, this ain't Toybiz, folks.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I never have problems other than Shadow Weaver's missing flight stand this month, which I am waiting to be resolved. It's fun 99% of the time.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    The first MOTU figure I ever got was Man-At-Arms. WAY back in 1982. his right leg was shorter than his left. So my first MOTU figure ever had a QC issue, but I loved it like crazy. As a kid I didn't care too much about such things, but I'm an adult now and display is more important than play regarding my toys.
    Well, I think that has to do with getting your toys for "free" as a kid versus having to actually pay for them out of your own pocket now, k-man. When you get something for free, what the hell? It was free. But when you pay for something, you want your money's worth. At least, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Romadon View Post
    I remember as a kid hunting for a star wars snow trooper.
    I was going to agree with you...

There it was, the Hoth rebel trooper,...
    Then you said this. I love the Imperial Snowtrooper. Bar none, my favorite figure from the vintage Star Wars toy series.

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well, I think that has to do with getting your toys for "free" as a kid versus having to actually pay for them out of your own pocket now, k-man. When you get something for free, what the hell? It was free. But when you pay for something, you want your money's worth. At least, I do.
    Possibly, but I bought most of my figures out of allowance and such. I think I bought 3 he-man figures (original) because I'd wear out the twist waist feature, I wasn't annoyed that they broke though and my battle bones had some clips break off but my Grandfather fixed it better than it was. My first customizing job was Saurod, I painted parts of his face so he looked more movie accurate. now I'm just rambling, going abe simpson on yo ass!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I never have problems other than Shadow Weaver's missing flight stand this month, which I am waiting to be resolved. It's fun 99% of the time.
    This is the same for me, I know MANY don't feel the same way (or a few are very vocal about it) but I just am not upset. I buy for lots and lots of orgers and have since the line started in 2009. The amount of QC issues that have caused my grief is about 3 (Mostly related to The Goddess)

My subs work, my figures come in decent shape, and I am generally happy.

Life is what you make of it, some people let problems and drama rule their life and that is their prerogative but for me life is way too short to let it consume me.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    This is the same for me, I know MANY don't feel the same way (or a few are very vocal about it) but I just am not upset. I buy for lots and lots of orgers and have since the line started in 2009. The amount of QC issues that have caused my grief is about 3 (Mostly related to The Goddess)

Life is what you make of it, some people let problems and drama rule their life and that is their prerogative but for me life is way too short to let it consume me.
    I'm generally happy too, my Swiftwind has two right legs and the clip for the wing broke off, but the wing stays on. I may try to fix the clip but it's so small in there. I don't mind much though. the Goddess again I don't touch and snout spout will be treated gently. but overall I'm good.

Fear is faith in failure

Alright! I was thinking about a topic like this as well! I couldn't think of a good title and you nailed it!

I've had my share of problems with this line. Quite a few with DR ( the most recent being they are sending the 2012 sub to my old address that I changed over months ago ) and some quality issues. Sometimes reveals strike me as poor or slapdash. All in all though, I find I enjoy every single one of these figures! I just can't hate on any of them. Every time I get one in hand I am won over if I haven't been already. Every time. Sometimes I'm even surprised by it, like with the bright green on Demo-Man or the Star Sisters. I am kind of impartial to some, like Mo-Larr or the giants, but I am definitely not leaning towards hating them. I could probably done without Icarius tho

I wasn't really into the Star Sisters at first, and I wasn't really feeling Horde Prime at all, but now that I have the Star Sisters I am really looking forward to Horde Prime. The juxtaposition of the colorful sisters of light and the mechanistic lord of darkness is great for 2012! Sure it's the underlying theme of the whole IP, but these new figures are great interpretations of that theme.

I'm not crazy about some of the story direction, but it's a fun little diversion.
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post

I was going to agree with you...

Then you said this. I love the Imperial Snowtrooper. Bar none, my favorite figure from the vintage Star Wars toy series.

http://www.kennercanadatoys.com/gall...the_jedi/8.jpg
    lol no no thats what I meant.....thats what happens when u work third shift and dont sleep for days.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Heck, this ain't Toybiz, folks.
    Too bad. I never had this many problems with the Biz; biggest complaint was some of the paint washes looked like a mudbath (X-Force Cyclops, I'm looking at you!)

As for the main topic here, I've been thinking along these lines for the past couple days, but a slightly sadder perspective. It struck me that rather than talking about Frosta or the other figures revealed barely more than a week ago, the majority of what we're talking about is cancelled subs, QC problems and all the other problems we're facing now. And that's not the fault of the fans, but of Mattel and DR, because their failures have managed to eclipse the good news. I mean, for me, Frosta has been one of my most requested figures; the only person who ever actually scared the daylights out of He-Man in the old series has been long overdue. But even I find myself talking more about the problems than the figures because it is hard not to. The thing is, this should be fun, we should be raving about the Fab Four's work on these figures and having the toys many of us wished they had been back in the day. Heck, my two favorite properties of all time, MOTU and DCU, are both being sculpted by my favorite toy sculptors of all time. I have the closest thing to a perfect Hal Jordan I will ever see in figure form (even the hairstyle is the way I prefer it), and I have a He-Ro figure after near two decades of dreaming of one. I have a big yellow monkey I never even knew existed in the plans of MOTU, and I love him. I should be happy; heck, I should be delirious to the point of someone wanting to give me a breathalyzer test. But how can you just put aside cancelled subs, figures broken straight out of the package, charges for hundreds of dollars of purchases you didn't make, and the knowledge that any problem will likely involve giving up as good portion of your life to solve, if you can solve it at all?

A lot of folks have bemoaned the negativity on the boards, but how else can people react to what's been happening? There is nothing more that I want than to enjoy this new line; there's not a figure I would have passed on even if I hadn't had the subs in the past. I'm not thrilled beyond words with Spector and Laserlot, but I'll still likely get them because I love this line. But I can't simply ignore the disasters Digital river and Mattel serve up on a regular basis no matter how much I love the figures, even with some of their flaws.

MOTU is back, with figures even non-Masters fans have gotten into. I want to feel the fun, the outright joy I should be having right now.

If only Mattel and DR would let me...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    now I'm just rambling, going abe simpson on yo ass!
    No problem. I tend to get people talking, for better or worse. I'm just like a psychiatrist. The .org's Hannibal Lecter if you will...

lol no no thats what I meant.....thats what happens when u work third shift and dont sleep for days.
    Come on, man! Make that body of yours produce seratonin!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

If I wasn't married or if I wasn't straight I would be in love with you lol

You speak exactly how I feel about this line, issues or no issues, 99% I get nothing but happy when Looking at my 80+ figures!
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Too bad. I never had this many problems with the Biz; biggest complaint was some of the paint washes looked like a mudbath (X-Force Cyclops, I'm looking at you!)
    Perhaps I was just unlucky! Seems some folks around here just get all the bad stuff while I've been doing alright, but when it came to Toybiz I kept having problems; and THOSE problems I could check out beforehand, in the store! Didn't matter, though: I bought, and they broke. Bought 'n broke bought 'n broke. One Spider-Man figure I took back three times and each time it was the same arm that broke off! Other than that it was breaks at the time that I took back but then the figures broke down the line. Heck, I've had some recent breaks that...well, there's nothing I can do about! Time has passed; no taking these figures back now. As for X-Force Cyclops, mine lost his arm! I found another and he's okay for now, but I honestly haven't moved him much over the years.

Like I said, perhaps I was just unlucky...but my experience with Toybiz was the worst experience I've had with a toyline next to some Jazwares items. The MotUC stuff has been coming consistently with very minor problems; my Goddess followed the same fate as others, but otherwise I can't even think of the ones with loose ankles. Couple, I think. Faker, possibly. I don't count the backwards shoulders as QC, honestly, 'cause the figures still work and you can barely tell. Bascially the biggest problem I see is Digital River and things surrounding that, as you mentioned. QC is pretty standard for a toyline, especially since we can't see them in the stores and leave the duds. Duds will happen, and they WILL get in the hands of consumers 'cause we can't leave them in the store. Now...the way they dish out the replacements is another matter; that, and the amazingly ridiculous situation you've explained in your own thread. And the amazingly ridiculous situations that Digital River (or whatever else is involved) has gotten us into altogether through this toyline. That is something else...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Bascially the biggest problem I see is Digital River and things surrounding that, as you mentioned. QC is pretty standard for a toyline, especially since we can't see them in the stores and leave the duds. Duds will happen, and they WILL get in the hands of consumers 'cause we can't leave them in the store. Now...the way they dish out the replacements is another matter; that, and the amazingly ridiculous situation you've explained in your own thread. And the amazingly ridiculous situations that Digital River (or whatever else is involved) has gotten us into altogether through this toyline. That is something else...
    I have to agree with all of that; my QC errors have been small; the mixed up Swiftwind legs and backwards shoulders are just easy to over look because they don't really mess up my experience. My Goddess NEVER gets moved off of her Grayskull stand!!! Not that I have any desire to move her around anyway; the day is soon coming she will see foam wrapping her just before she is placed in storage to make way for figures I like more. I think it is reading about it online that gets me more flustered to tell the truth.

Haven't had a single QC issue with any figure in the line so... definitely fun wins out!

This is the postivity thread for QC issues

I don't want to jinx myself but I have been extremely lucky with QC errors and the ones that I do have, namely paint issues, don't bother me. I even still have an completely intact Goddess.

Not to knock anyone but if you go through the latest QC issue thread for Photog it is a lot of the same people posting over and over again. I am not trying to diminish their concerns but it may not be as widespread as that thread would allow you to believe. It is not the QC issues that hurt my enjoyment of this line, it is the fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Funny you should mention THAT particular figure. Alexx and I had quite a PM conversation regarding that particular figure's problems.

As for X-Force Cyclops, mine lost his arm! I found another and he's okay for now, but I honestly haven't moved him much over the years.
    I took another look at the photo you sent me, and that hole in the shoulder joint looks like it could have been caused by an airbubble that ended up weakening the structural integrity of the whole joint piece. At least I think that's happened since a hollow shoulder joint simply doesn't make sense to me.

As far as MOTUC goes, I enjoy the figures much more than I am annoyed by an occasional hiccup here and there.
    The loose ankles are an easy fix, and I'm not bothered by the few backward shoulders we got.
    I have beef with DR and the Matty site, but as far as the figures themselves are concerned, there's more positives then there are negatives. For me anyway.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Heroic Warrior
    Oh wait, I thought this thread title was in reference to this forum!

Fun..always fun. Why buy them if you're going to continue to scrutinize. Again MOTU will forever be remembered as my childhood. Bring on the NOSTALGIA. I know exactly what you're saying & feeling krosfyah. I simply enjoy...excuse me LOVE these plastic pieces of paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I must be really lucky as I haven't had many problems at all with DR or QC even though my figures come all the way to the UK. This line hasn't really caused me any stress at all thank goodness. I've had the odd thing here and there I haven't liked but no more than any other line I have brought over 100 products from.
    Ditto. No problems at all here.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Like many people on here, I've been pretty lucky as far as QC goes. Minor paint problems on the figures, but nothing too bad.

The vintage line that became so popular had plenty of QC problems with it, and I don't remember really caring that much. It was just plain 'ol fun. Now that MOTU is back, (which I'm VERY happy about) the fun outweighs everything for sure.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon