Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no female character for MOTUC 30th????

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Please enough with the female characters already, this line is already plagued with them as is! Bring on the remaining most requested females figures including Illumina, but not more than two a year. IMO, this year we already reached the limit with the inclusion of disfunctional Star-Sister...
    The only thing plaguing the line is quality control issues.

Seriously though, two females per year is FAR too low. If Mattel did that for some reason, we would never see all the characters that originally had figures, make it into MOTUC. Now that Mattel has the rights to Filmation, Jetlag, Ladybird and other UK materials...it really opens the doors wide open. Just from cartoons (off the top of my head), we have:

- Dree-Elle
    - Shokoti
    - Madam Razz
    - Scorpia
    - Octavia
    - Spiritina (of the Twiggets)
    - Huntara
    - Hawke
    - Delora
    - Melog (she has 3 different forms: Golem, mud woman, human warrior)
    - Enchantress
    - Queen Andreenos
    - Queen Balina
    - Celice
    - Mara (2 different versions)
    - Crita (2 different versions)
    - Drissi
    - Aquatica (Hydron's sister)
    - NA Teela
    - NA Sorceress
    - La-See (Loo-Kee's girlfriend)
    - Mortella
    - Teela-Na (Filmation and MYP's versions)
    - Veena
    - Battle Armour Queen Marlena
    - MYP Queen Marlena
    - MYP's young Teela
    - MYP's young Evil-Lyn

That's just a sample of the characters that are only from the CARTOONS! There's still the comics, mini-comics and the PoP characters that have not been made in MOTUC yet:

- Queen Angella
    - Glimmer
    - Castaspella (Filmation, reversed colours = her evil cousin Allepsatsac and Toy versions)
    - Sweet Bee
    - Peekablue
    - Flutterina
    - Perfuma
    - Mermista
    - Netossa
    - Spinnerella
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Toy She-Ra
    - Entrapta
    - Scratch N' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra
    - Toy Catra

That's 16 PoP characters alone (14 if you don't include the completely different toy design Catra and She-Ra figures). It's 18 if you include the two other versions of Castaspella. 14, 16 or 18 + all the other ladies from the MOTU media will never even come CLOSE to happening at 2 per year. NA and female figures need to get more spots per year, in my opinion. 2012 looks good so far because we have 5 female figures as of February and Frosta is coming. That's pretty decent. NA needs to see more than just Slush Head this year!

EDIT: That doesn't even include the female "beasts." Clawdeen, Pink Swiftwind (female) and I know some of the other horses are female...but I just can't remember at the moment which ones are. We do not have a female beast yet. They are all male...unless the Griffon is female. Not sure how to check.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 24, 2012 at 02:34am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Two females per year?

2009:
    Teela, Goddess

2010:
    Adora, Evil-Lyn, She-Ra

2011:
    Catra, Battle Ground Teela, Queen Marlena (One could argue Captain Glenn as well), Bubble Power She-Ra, Battle Ground Evil-Lyn

2012:
    Starla, Jewelstar, Tallstar, Sorcerees, Shadow Weaver, TOD Sorceress, Frosta, plus maybe more

Could there be more? Certainly. But it's not just two.
    Aaron’s Top 10 (In Order):
    Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy, The Twiggets, Stridor, Catra’s Cat Form, Kay-La, Skeleteen, Mini Comics Garn, Spinwit, FILMation King Miro

Girls are icky.

A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

What I meant by the term "plagued", is the line already female heavy based on the already released figures and the expected ones we ought to see made in the future, and by the inclusion of POP and Filmation, we already know that there are a lot more coming. So by asking for more female characters into the 30th sub, is like an overkill IMO.

Also, I'm not against female characters per-se, as I said before bring on the most wanted female characters including their variants, however, turning this line into a 'girly' line wasn't what I really subscribed for to be honest with you! Many of the female characters mentioned above are somehow obscure to the casual collector like me. Remember that most of us out there aren't really hard core POP fans (that's the reality of things, whether you like or not), and the original toy MOTU including 200X weren't exactly very female heavy oriented.
    Maybe what I said; 2 females per year (not including variants) is a bit a of low number for many of you, but also I don't wanna keep waiting forever to get the major characters I always wanted. I'm already collecting pretty much everything Mattel is releasing, but also I don't wanna keep paying for more characters I never heard of or don't mean much to me before reaching for the ones we most want!
    And siding the beast/animal figures to the male list characters to justify releasing more female figures isn't a fair cause IMO.
    And yes, I look forward to see Evil-Lyn 3.0, Sorceress 2.0, Hawke, or some of the MYP female variants being made, but not on the expense of the other exciting characters like Two-Bad, Mekaneck, Mosquitor, Ram-Man, Snake-Face, Ninjor and so on... Let's keep things in perspective, shall we?
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Remember that most of us out there aren't really hard core POP fans (that's the reality of things, whether you like or not), and the original toy MOTU including 200X weren't exactly very female heavy oriented.
    The mission statement for MOTUC was to include characters from all the worlds of MOTU and POP. That's the reality of things, whether you like it or not.
    Last edited by Killian; February 24, 2012 at 05:26am. Reason: keep reading the bios
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    There aren't enough ladies to go around. I'd love for a female in the 30th line. That's why three of my four designs were female.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

Did you by any chance get her from Power-Con, her name is like virala or something hab=ving to do with disease right? Like Infecta or something? She's Bad a$$ how much did those guys charge for her if you don't mind me asking?
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

And yes, I look forward to see Evil-Lyn 3.0, Sorceress 2.0, Hawke, or some of the MYP female variants being made, but not on the expense of the other exciting characters like Two-Bad, Mekaneck, Mosquitor, Ram-Man, Snake-Face, Ninjor and so on... Let's keep things in perspective, shall we?
    Which perspective would that be? Yours?

From my perspective Scorpia, Castaspella, Mara, Critta, Mermista, Huntara, Madame Razz, and Sweet Bee are all WAY more exciting than Snake Face, Ninjor, Mekaneck, and Two Bad (I left out Ram Man and Mosquitor because they are AS exciting, to me).

I definitely want all of the male figures you mentioned, but the ladies have either NEVER been made in action figure form, or didn't receive a 200X action figure... So to me, from my perspective, they are more exciting.

You're not really a casual collector. There is nothing casual about your taste as you explain it. You have very specific taste. That's fine. It seems that you have no interest in any females beyond the vintage MOTU characters. I'm guessing that's because you have no nostalgia for the POP cartoon or toys. Understandable, but why not try to open your mind to what you may not have had in the past?

I just don't get this mentality. I have a vintage Two-Bad and a 200X Two-Bad. Of course I want a MOTUC Two-Bad, but if given the choice, NO WAY am I going to pick MOTUC Two-Bad over a MOTUC Scorpia, for example.

And it is TOTALLY fair to include the beasts and larger scale items in the count... THEY ARE ALL MALE. Why can't there be a female beast? Is that somehow a bad idea?

You're talking about perspective and assuming that the female MOTUC releases are somehow disdained by the general population of collectors. I don't buy that. All female figures have sold out quickly save for BG Teela (heck, even the Star Sisters sold out more quickly than she did). Of course we don't really know if any figure has truly sold out... it seems Mattel likes to pull them all. But sometimes you can tell when the demand is actually great because a figure becomes "sold out" more quickly than 2 days.

If you don't want to buy female figures, maybe you shouldn't subscribe? It would be the best way to avoid buying something you don't want.

I wish you could enjoy them. I will never understand men who have such a problem with female characters in fantasy toy lines. I will just have to accept that I don't understand it, and hope that people give these characters a chance based on their sculpts, their decos, and their accessories, rather than their gender.

Who cares what gender a figure is? All that matters is the cool factor.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I wish you could enjoy them. I will never understand men who have such a problem with female characters in fantasy toy lines. I will just have to accept that I don't understand it, and hope that people give these characters a chance based on their sculpts, their decos, and their accessories, rather than their gender.
    You too, huh?

Who cares what gender a figure is? All that matters is the cool factor.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Who is in the 30th is of no consequence to me personally as after Photog, I'm not interested in any more 30th figures. But I certainly don't object to more females figures.

This year will bring us more female figures than any previous year with Tallstar, Jewelstar, Starla, Sorceress, Sorceress (variant), Shadow Weaver, and Frosta.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Since Terry's is reportedly male, I really hope the fan-winner's character is female. 1/6 isn't too much to ask for, in my opinion.
    If Terry's figure ends up being a male, I think it could potentially create an awkward situation if a female character wins the Create-A-Character contest. That might come off planned to some folks, like Mattel felt obligated to pick a female and weren't even considering the male entries. But then if a male character won, other folks would be aggravated that there's no females.

It would have been smart to already have a female.

Which perspective would that be? Yours?
    Not just me, I believe the majority of fans who came back to this line aren't really hard core POP fans like you are, and that's just an observation I've acquired over the time I've been around. Of course you have the right to disagree...

From my perspective Scorpia, Castaspella, Mara, Critta, Mermista, Huntara, Madame Razz, and Sweet Bee are all WAY more exciting than Snake Face, Ninjor, Mekaneck, and Two Bad (I left out Ram Man and Mosquitor because they are AS exciting, to me).

I definitely want all of the male figures you mentioned, but the ladies have either NEVER been made in action figure form, or didn't receive a 200X action figure... So to me, from my perspective, they are more exciting.
    Fine, I'm not against what you wish for, I'm just saying that I and many others around want to see more of the figures that we're familiar with more often, especially if this line don't make it to the end as feared.

You're not really a casual collector. There is nothing casual about your taste as you explain it. You have very specific taste. That's fine. It seems that you have no interest in any females beyond the vintage MOTU characters. I'm guessing that's because you have no nostalgia for the POP cartoon or toys. Understandable, but why not try to open your mind to what you may not have had in the past?
    Really? If I don't like to be bombarded with obscure and unknown POP characters that means I'm not a casual collector! Since when being a completest or collecting blindly is considered causal? I thought casual means the common, and last time I checked most people here aren't really digging the obscure POP characters like the Star-Sisters (According to the latest Poll). That being said, I'm very open minded person who loves to have what looks good within the MOTU universe, but let's be frank here, many of the POP aren't really boys marketed toys, and a lot of them look kind of silly. Again, people like me aren't against 'girly' toys per-se, but given the nature of decline in the subs and Mattel's uncertainty with their shady business, I/we'd rather see more of the MOTU core characters made before it's too late...

I just don't get this mentality. I have a vintage Two-Bad and a 200X Two-Bad. Of course I want a MOTUC Two-Bad, but if given the choice, NO WAY am I going to pick MOTUC Two-Bad over a MOTUC Scorpia, for example.
    Again, speak for yourself! If you'd like to see what you want, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that most of us here have what you have, and need what you need... That's why I said keep things in perspective.

And it is TOTALLY fair to include the beasts and larger scale items in the count... THEY ARE ALL MALE. Why can't there be a female beast? Is that somehow a bad idea?
    HUH! Next you gonna tell me that the Windraider is also a male character!!!

You're talking about perspective and assuming that the female MOTUC releases are somehow disdained by the general population of collectors. I don't buy that. All female figures have sold out quickly save for BG Teela (heck, even the Star Sisters sold out more quickly than she did). Of course we don't really know if any figure has truly sold out... it seems Mattel likes to pull them all. But sometimes you can tell when the demand is actually great because a figure becomes "sold out" more quickly than 2 days.

If you don't want to buy female figures, maybe you shouldn't subscribe? It would be the best way to avoid buying something you don't want.
    Most of us who subscribed, did it because we're somehow forced to (majorly to avoid WSOD, and to guarantee some of the characters we're after), however that doesn't mean we suppose to be happy and love everything Mattel throws at us blindly! So telling me I shouldn't be subscribing just to avoid female characters coming my way is somehow ludicrous, simply because it's like asking people to be either black or white, and confirming to Mattel either all or nothing!
    Well, if Mattel keeps ******* people off with their business model we've been witnessing for the past three years, I guarantee you many of us will eventually end up not subscribing and asking for a quicker death call... And that's what we all are trying to avoid here...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Meh, we've already got 7 female figures so far this year. Not that important to get another one int he 30th sub.

It's about getting a new female, not meeting or stopping at a quota or something.

Honestly, I don't think we'll see a female character in the 30th. I figured if we did, it would be one of the Mattel offerings and they're looking to all be males. If a substantial number of the submissions are female characters for CaC I will be surprised (and impressed). But my feeling is that for a lot of fans (too many?), new female characters are at best an afterthought and if they had their chance to design a MOTU character it wasn't going to be an afterthought. Another reason, one that'll probably sit better with many fans, is that there is currently very little variety in parts for the female characters. If I sent in a cyborg or reptile female character design, she'll need a lot more new parts than if I designed the character using the parts from male characters. That alone will encourage more fans to design male characters. Sure Mattel could pick one of the female characters submitted--and I know some were submitted -- but I have a feeling it'll be a male character that wins.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not against the idea of a 30th anniversary female figure. A snake woman would be particularly cool, in my opinion.

But given female figures have been plagued with design and/or QC issues from the start (She-Ra 1.0 body, explosive Green Goddess, Catra's squishy hand, Sorceress's wings and drums...), I'm a bit weary...

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    I am always a bit worried when people start arguing over the "gender" of plastic figures.
    They´re just that, figures.
    As such, they are utterly sexless.
    Now, i dont really think a female would be a good addition to the good guys on Eternia, and, if we really want "female" (but still genderless, mind you!) figures in the line i´d really recommend Shokoti (spelling?).
    Now that Filmation rights are on the table, that´s a figure i´d like to see, a proper 30th anniversary celebration for me.
    Could also do with the queen from the "she-demon of phatos" episode, maybe with alternate "cursed" head...that´s if they give us Strongarm first!
    Otherwise, i´d really like either the slave girl we see beside King Hsss in one of the old minicomics (that´s if they give us Lodar first!) or a "new" snake woman.
    But no female heroic warriors, please.
    Could i change it to "no heroic warriors at all, please?"
    Cheers all (yes, regardless of "gender")

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Remember that most of us out there aren't really hard core POP fans (that's the reality of things, whether you like or not)
    Rampant generalization, or is that actually based on something? In case you hadn't noticed, most of the POP figures have sold out faster than many "hard core" MOTU figures like Man-E, who is at least as popular as everyone you named short of Rammy. Sales talk louder than baseless assumptions....
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Um. . . Female action figures don't sell!

You do realize this was said as far as RETAIL female figures right? They have the data, retailers probably request less or shortpacked females because they sell poorly.

People do realize there are at least 7 female figures going to be released this year in the MOTUC line, right?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    ***** about to get real son! :P

Look when it comes down to it you have to remembert hat regardless how much female characters are loved MotU was/is at it's core male driven... Original 8-back... 7 guys 1 lady...
    I think that still resonates today
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

If it looks good it will sell.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    In a land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Look when it comes down to it you have to remembert hat regardless how much female characters are loved MotU was/is at it's core male driven... Original 8-back... 7 guys 1 lady...
    I think that still resonates today
    Again, sales don't support that. When most of the ladies sell faster than much requested guys like Man-E or Hiss (and we've been told many times the sub figures are produced in comparable numbers month to month), there's really no quantitative basis for saying the guys are preferable to the gals. Folks can "observe" all they want, but the bottom line is what sells. And for MOTU, female figures DO sell.

And as someone who, over the years, has become sick of seeing things like "The Fantastic Three" in figure form (with Sue always being hard to find or non-existent), I can do without Entrenched Toy Industry Dogma invading collectors lines where it obviously doesn't apply.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

There won't be a female in the 30th line. I'm pretty sure of it.