Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Catch-All Pro-Wrestling Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I'm billed at 5'9, but I have lifts inside AND outside my boots so I get almost an extra two inches.
    I woudl imagine it might be a bit awkward wrestling with lifts.
    Last edited by Mark M; July 26, 2021 at 10:16am.

Heroic Warrior
    Exactly. Don't do things half way.

Don't say "yah. I remember and love those old LJN's had a bunch of them as a kid. So, yah, I'd love to have one of me as as one". Then turn around and not pay complete homage to something you was just gushing over.

So that's why:
    1. I like what zombie sailor and chella toys are doing. mattel stopped making them so they started up. no skimping there.
    2. I'm not the biggest fan of those mortal combat, dc primal, horror icons that have that buck similar to vintage masters. Now that I think about it, it looks like a vintage MOTU buck was left in the dryer to long. Got shrunk down.
    3. There for a brief moment everything was M.U.S.C.L.E. ized. Just bring back that line. Stop teasing me. Not funny.

While at the same time I justify it by saying well, Cody and Hulk aren't the same size in real life. And makes for an interesting fig fed match.

It's a nice looking and thusly nicely done figure that I can't say no to. Been wanting an LJN comeback for years. Still hoping it hits big box stores.

I will give a little bit of credit to the notion of making it your own.

I like the general idea of stuff being similar to the LJN figures - the Original San Francisco Toymakers WCW line, the Jakks "Classic Superstars" throwback figures, these AEW ones - but the fact that they're not the same size as the LJNs arguably defeats the purpose.

I get that it's probably a lot cheaper to make them if they shave them down by a couple of inches. The LJN figures are almost unreasonably huge and are therefore a real pain in the butt to display. But it's like, c'mon, commit to the bit or don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I woudl imagine it might be a bit awkward wrestling with lifts.
    You'd think, but y'know, it's honestly not that bad. It was definitely an adjustment at first but I got used to it really quickly. More than anything, it's how heavy they are that makes the difference.

I used to wear regular wrestling shoes and kickpads, like a lot of indie guys, but after like a year when I had some money saved I switched to the boots because they fit my gimmick better AND guys just plain show you more respect if you have proper boots. It's sort of accepted if "athletic cruiserweight guy" is your gimmick, but otherwise having boots is considered more of an investment in yourself; you're "taking the business seriously" and not just showing up to wrestle in some gear you got at Foot Locker or whatever.

My work actually got a lot better after I switched, because before I had the common bad habit of moving too fast and shuffling my feet too much. The boots slowed me down to a more manageable speed and made everything I do more measured and impactful. The only real difference is I need to put a little more "oomph" behind some things like throwing dropkicks, since I have to compensate for extra weight. But moving around isn't so much more difficult.

I spend most of my time selling, anyway. I've done my best to avoid running whenever I can, both inside and outside of the ring, and I've developed a style that leans into that. Heavy feet, quick hands. That's the ticket!
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

You'd think, but y'know, it's honestly not that bad. It was definitely an adjustment at first but I got used to it really quickly. More than anything, it's how heavy they are that makes the difference.

I used to wear regular wrestling shoes and kickpads, like a lot of indie guys, but after like a year when I had some money saved I switched to the boots because they fit my gimmick better AND guys just plain show you more respect if you have proper boots. It's sort of accepted if "athletic cruiserweight guy" is your gimmick, but otherwise having boots is considered more of an investment in yourself; you're "taking the business seriously" and not just showing up to wrestle in some gear you got at Foot Locker or whatever.

My work actually got a lot better after I switched, because before I had the common bad habit of moving too fast and shuffling my feet too much. The boots slowed me down to a more manageable speed and made everything I do more measured and impactful. The only real difference is I need to put a little more "oomph" behind some things like throwing dropkicks, since I have to compensate for extra weight. But moving around isn't so much more difficult.

I spend most of my time selling, anyway. I've done my best to avoid running whenever I can, both inside and outside of the ring, and I've developed a style that leans into that. Heavy feet, quick hands. That's the ticket!
    If I had got into wrestling I would have liked to focus on a technical/grappling cruiserweight style. But I would definitely have got the long wrestling boots. Not keen on the kick pad, generic indie look.

I had some cowboy boots a few years back and one day at work I was wearing them and had to climb a ladder and it was awkward getting balanced. I know Shawn Michaels climbed a ladder with cowboy boots, but he just had climb it and jump off of it...he didn't have to balance and attempt to hang up students work.

If I had got into wrestling I would have liked to focus on a technical/grappling cruiserweight style.
    We ALL say that. I thought I wanted to do that, at first, until it turned out I'm just plain not very good at that. To make that style your gimmick, you need to be GREAT at it or it won't get over. Sometimes it doesn't get over regardless, it all depends.

It gets tricky because that style is a perpetual game of one-upsmanship, with younger, faster guys constantly inventing new moves and spots, which makes it very hard to keep up, but also, as injuries pile up your actual athleticism is the very first thing to deteriorate. It can be very hard to work that style at a high level for a very long period of time. Most of the guys I trained with who ended up doing that gimmick - guys much younger than me - already retired due to injuries, which is a real bummer because they were way better than I ever was.

Also, one thing guys rarely consider before they get into it is, that "gimmick" doesn't sell much merch, which on the indies is THE biggest thing. If you ever want to make more than your gas money back, you need 8x10s and shirts to sell. The "technical cruiserweight" guys often have the best match on the show but they don't get paid extra for that, nor do they always clean up at intermission. So it helps to have a little something extra.

One of my favorite guys on the scene around here right now works under his real name AND under a mask, doing one or the other depending on what company he's at on any given day. Two different characters, two totally different ring styles. Under his real name, he does the "technical Cruiserweight" style and he's great at it; under the mask, he does a lot more "basic" stuff and brawling.

He plays both roles to perfection. But point of fact, the masked gimmick gets much bigger crowd pops, and makes him a LOT more money, than when he does his real name gimmick. Coming up with the second character was a smart move on his part, because not only does it get over more, but he'll still be able to work that character at a high level in 5 or 6 years when he's my age, while maintaining the "super athlete shooter" gimmick would be a lot harder by then due to age and injuries.

Bottom line, it pays to have an extra angle in this business. When I was training, as guys would start getting ready for their debut, the booker would ask them what they wanted their gimmick to be (you better pick something, or they'll give you something stupid just to rib you). At least half the guys would say, "I'm just gonna be a shooter." The guy would just roll his eyes and be like "Oh, yeah, that's gonna make you money. Give me something I can put on a poster and sell, for crying out loud!"

It takes all kinds. But one thing's for sure, "I'm just a really great athlete" is by far THE toughest mountain you can give yourself to climb. It's hard to get that good and it's even harder to stay that good long enough to start making money with it.

My gimmick has a built-in excuse to forever keep it simple. I'm a Cruiserweight by definition, but I can't fly very well and I'm not very well-versed in technical stuff, but I'm a degenerate rock star so if anything too fancy comes up it's just "My character wouldn't do that." "How about we do this 20-step technical sequence?" OR... how about we get through the first few steps of that whole NASA blueprint, and then I just get mad and punch you in the mouth, since that fits my character better?

These are the things that start to sink in after a while and you start to notice that it all pays the same on a base level.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

We ALL say that. I thought I wanted to do that, at first, until it turned out I'm just plain not very good at that. To make that style your gimmick, you need to be GREAT at it or it won't get over. Sometimes it doesn't get over regardless, it all depends...
    When i say technical I mean more like Flair or 90s Stunning Steve Austin. I wouldn't be into doing all that dives and flips associated with cruiserweights.

I can total believe a lot of people retiring due to injury from the crazy style people do now with all the needless dives and flips.

When i say technical I mean more like Flair or 90s Stunning Steve Austin. I wouldn't be into doing all that dives and flips associated with cruiserweights.

I can total believe a lot of people retiring due to injury from the crazy style people do now with all the needless dives and flips.
    Those guys knew how to work it.

I was always much more a Stunning Steve fan than a Stone Cold fan, but I give Austin credit for being able to revamp his entire style once he hurt his neck and still maintain a high level of performance. Not everybody can do that.

It's a shame a guy with such terrible-looking punches had to rely on nothing but punching to get him through the last few years of his career, but hey, he made a ton of money with it so in the end it didn't matter.

As someone who hasn't watched Raw or Smackdown (beyond occasionally checking out the youtube highlights) in over a decade, the whole thing with Keith Lee right now is the kind of stuff that makes me not watch their shows.

I think OK this Keith Lee guy is pretty cool, he's a big chunky fella who posses shocking speed, agility and overall aphetic ability for a man of his size and build. And I think this guy could bring the kind of spectacle that could actualy make me want to watch wrestling.

So naturally when I see him on the Raw youtube clips, he does none of things that make him worth watching, he dosn't even do any of his impressive power moves. He's just a generic fat guy now.

And yes I understand that a fair amount of people (probably including Vince) don't think big guys should do the high flying stuff. But if that's the case then, you really shouldn't have someone like Keith on your roster period, if you aren't going to have him actualy do any of the things that make people watch him in the first place.

And all that's without even getting into how they bring him back after months, only to use him as a jobber.

I'm sure Vince thinks he's teaching his audience a lesson with this kind of thing. But the only thing he's teaching me is that I was right to stop watching his shows and I'm sure many people are in the same boat if WWE's ratings are anything to go by.
    Last edited by A Dalek; July 27, 2021 at 07:41pm.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    As someone who hasn't watched Raw or Smackdown (beyond occasionally checking out the youtube highlights) in over a decade, the whole thing with Keith Lee right now is the kind of stuff that makes me not watch their shows.

I think OK this Keith Lee guy is pretty cool, he's a big chunky fella who posses shocking peed, agility and overall aphetic ability for a man of his size and build. And I think this guy could bring the kind of spectacle that could actualy make me want to watch wrestling.

So naturally when I see him on the Raw youtube clips, he does none of things that make him worth watching, he dosn't even do any of his impressive power moves. He's just a generic fat guy now.

And yes I understand that a fair amount of people (probably including Vince) don't think big guys should do the high flying stuff. But if that's the case then, you really shouldn't have someone like Keith on your roster period, if you aren't going to have him actualy do any of the things that make people watch him in the first place.

And all that's without even getting into how they bring him back after months, only to use him as a jobber.

I'm sure Vince thinks he's teaching his audience a lesson with this kind of thing. But the only thing he's teaching me is that I was right to stop watching his shows and I'm sure many people are in the same boat if WWE's ratings are anything to go by.
    Yeah it looked like was getting a push then was off TV for months then they bring him back and have him do job matches. They really are wasting a lot of talents potential. I think they are mostly employing people to stop them going elsewhere.

Heroic Warrior

size compare part 2--link

Heroic Warrior
    Bray Wyatt has been released from WWE

https://www.wwe.com/article/bray-wyatt-released

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post

Personally, if my dad and brother worked for the same company and were released, I would've walked the day my dad got sacked. At the very least, when my brother got sacked. That's just me.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Can't say I have ever been a fan of Bray, but he was a good worker, although I absolutely hated The Fiend gimmick. As much as I hated the gimmick it was pretty over with fans....then they jobbed him out to Goldberg.
    I think he will do better else where like AEW or NJPW.

Hey, it's Night Stalker! Hope you're doing good.

I honestly always though the Fiend stuff was dumb but there's no doubt they did Bray dirty with how this all went down. Especially just up and giving the gimmick to Alexa right before they got rid of him.

To be fair to WWE (ugh), Alexa is way more popular than he'll ever be for "obvious reasons". So if you can only keep one, then I agree, you keep her. Still, the way they handled it was shady as hell. "Let's take your gimmick, give it to someone else, then let YOU go and keep them." Ouch.

I know they just announced it today, but as soon as he was off TV after WrestleMania, I legit said out loud, "He's gone, Alexa is the new 'Fiend' and they're gonna let him go." Lo and behold, right as always.

He'll be fine, AEW will pay him a ton of money to not do anything, like they do with all the ex-WWE guys.

Well that was stupid......

Hey, it's Night Stalker! Hope you're doing good.

I honestly always though the Fiend stuff was dumb but there's no doubt they did Bray dirty with how this all went down. Especially just up and giving the gimmick to Alexa right before they got rid of him.

To be fair to WWE (ugh), Alexa is way more popular than he'll ever be for "obvious reasons". So if you can only keep one, then I agree, you keep her. Still, the way they handled it was shady as hell. "Let's take your gimmick, give it to someone else, then let YOU go and keep them." Ouch.

I know they just announced it today, but as soon as he was off TV after WrestleMania, I legit said out loud, "He's gone, Alexa is the new 'Fiend' and they're gonna let him go." Lo and behold, right as always.

He'll be fine, AEW will pay him a ton of money to not do anything, like they do with all the ex-WWE guys.
    From what I saw of Bray, the demented kid show host character seemed way more interesting on it's own than with the Fiend. It had actual nuance to it (or I guess as much nuance as you can have in wrestling) , that his whole kids show act was just an act, to hide how sinister he was beneath the surface. And it had legitimately creepy undertones.

But the Fiend just kind of ruined the whole thing because adding in a more overt horror element took away whatever subtleness the character actual had.

Most of the WWE guys AEW hired with the exception of Jericho and Moxley are basically retired veterans.

I think he will get a great push if he signs with AEW.

Heroic Warrior
    Looks the pre-orders have really kicked in. Don't know if it's due to the Macho Man announcer early bird special or what. I didn't see or really know when it got added. But I have a feeling it gave it a real nice boost.

Or if it was switching the payment to a down payment type. Or what it is or called. I'm drawing a blank.

WWE is making a lot of cuts lately. Although I'm sure Vince has final say, newish WWE executive Nick Kahn has been on a cutting spree both on the behind the scenes and talent level. It does make one wonder if they plan to sell sometime in the future. I don't get the Bray Wyatt cut. He has been pretty popular, but the stop and go pushes have been frustrating to see. I'm not sure why they would have him lose to Randy Orton at Wrestlemania, only for Orton to go into a tag team with Riddle. I also don't see how AEW can keep signing all these former WWE talents to the degree they have been lately and actually make a profit.

I think it's just creative just don't really have a lot for some of the talent.
    Hopefully AEW sign Mercedes Martinez as they really could use more talent for their women's division.

Heroic Warrior
    NXT is said to be going back to 'first principles' and will look to hire bigger men and people younger than 31

NXT is said to be going back to 'first principles' and will look to hire bigger men and people younger than 31
    TBH I kind of think WWE's focus on big men from the 80's onwards kind of hurt the business in a way, because it conditioned it's audience to perceive anyone who isn't over six feet and jacked up as small. The Rock is a huge guy by normal standards, but in WWE land he's slightly larger than average.

And that created an environment were it's impossible anyone who isn't really big to get taken seriously by a decent chunk of the audience, because a lot of wrestling fans live in fantasy world were the average height is over 6ft and any one 6ft and and under is a "manlet".

Allegedly, Nick Khan more or less is looking at WWE like a "real" sports franchise, in which case anyone who gets paid six or seven figures to spend most of their time "on the bench" and only plays three minutes per game simply isn't a good investment.

I personally do believe the rumors that a sale is imminent within the next two or three years and that all of this "Not a single penny's worth of red ink" stuff is in preparation for that. Vince... does not look well. I think he realized at some point that Hunter and Steph aren't actually the right people to own the entire company lock, stock and barrel and is preparing for the future.

As for AEW, Tony Khan is supposedly a lot like Ted Turner, in that he's not overly concerned as to whether or not the company is "profitable", he just wants to throw money at guys and "create a fun working environment". The Khans allegedly make so much money from their other enterprises that they can afford a bloated AEW roster full of people getting paid to do little or nothing.
    -----------

More personal note, had a show on Saturday, won a tag match. We had Impact and AEW guys Moose, Shawn Donovan, and Brian Cage, so that was pretty cool.

While overall I prefer more athletic fast paced technical wrestling matches...some wrestlers really would need to change their look a bit. Some of them are just not believable looking as a wrestlers.

While I hate people getting cut and lose their position? I'm glad it's WWE Empire is crumbling down. Vince is a ruthless entrepreneur that only think of himself and his close clique. I rather not see Triple H tanking the mantle of CEO or President for WWE, feel bad that he's going to steer a sinking ship.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.