Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Official Catch-All Pro-Wrestling Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I really only got into doing independent wrestling kind of by accident, long after I'd given up on it ever happening. Go figure!
    I wish I had more of an effort and got into it after college. But there isn't much of an independent wrestling scene in Ireland.

Yeah, location is everything. If I didn't live in NJ I wouldn't have managed to do half of the stuff I've done. Both because there's a million companies here (TOO many, to be completely honest) but because literally everyone passes through here at some point.

NJ and Florida are like the two hotbeds of indy wrestling in the U.S. There are scattered pockets all over the place but most of the "big stuff" is focused on those two areas.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    Where is Daniel Bryan going to land? https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoe...e-move-to-aew/

I had a match this past Sunday. I was hoping to have a video up by now but my wife's been taking her sweet time with it as usual.

Nothing fancy, a buddy of mine runs a school down near Philly and he asked me to come down and pitch in on a student show. Worked the first singles match on the card, simple stuff, basically just took turns working the arm and then went home in about 6 minutes.

The one funny part was at the beginning, he backed me into a corner out of the lockup and slapped the hell outta me, got me right in the eye. I knew he didn't mean it, but still, you gotta do the thing, so when I got him in the corner for the Macho Man Jabs I laid the first one in HARD, split both his lip AND my knuckle open. He took a powder for a bit to the outside but then we got back on track.

Soon as I got to the back he came at me with a big hug like "DUDE, I totally didn't mean to come in so high on that slap, that's all my fault, man, I'm sorry," and I'm like "Eh, it happens, man." Then he's like, "You give a helluva 'receipt', though," and I'm just like, "Yep." He's like "I thought the rest of them were gonna come in hot, too," and I'm like "Nah, one-for-one is fine, don't gotta get crazy out there."

Good stuff, we might have a rematch in June, we'll see what shakes loose. I also did pretty good on merch considering it was a small crowd. There's a bunch of shows coming up so it was good for shaking the rust off. I'm not gonna be wrestling on all of them but it's better to be ready just in case, anyway. As of right now the plan is for me to do ringside commentary on the shows I'm not booked to wrestle on. Kind of a Roddy Piper deal; keep my character out there, get the angles over, stuff like that. Works for me.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Where is Daniel Bryan going to land? https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoe...e-move-to-aew/
    At this point in his career he would be better off going to AEW or even NJPW.
    He has done pretty much all there is to do in WWE and held all the titles and wrestled almost everyone on the roster.
    If he goes to AEW or NJPW there is a lot more potential for new and exciting matches with lots of talent he has never had the chance to wrestle before.

I suppose Bryan could maybe go to AEW for a year or two. He could do Japan for a few months if he takes his family with him. That might get his exploratory juices flowing without having to sign with a main competitor. He should be able to get a Shawn Michaels type contract from the WWE that will limit his appearances, though. I doubt he'd ever have to do regular house shows again if those ever return. I'm still surprised they put him in the main event of Wrestlemania this year and flipped Edge so soon. They could have easily put him in a match with Rollins and/or Cesaro instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I suppose Bryan could maybe go to AEW for a year or two. He could do Japan for a few months if he takes his family with him. That might get his exploratory juices flowing without having to sign with a main competitor. He should be able to get a Shawn Michaels type contract from the WWE that will limit his appearances, though. I doubt he'd ever have to do regular house shows again if those ever return. I'm still surprised they put him in the main event of Wrestlemania this year and flipped Edge so soon. They could have easily put him in a match with Rollins and/or Cesaro instead.
    I suspect that putting him in the main event was a way to convince him to stay with the company.
    Although even if he leaves it's pretty cool he was in the main event of the biggest wrestling show. Most other stars who are leaving/considering leaving usually get relegated to being jobbed out to other talent or just left off PPV and TV until their contract runs out.

I also think putting Edge in the main event and having him win the Rumble was an odd decission.

Heroic Warrior
    Went to a local indy show last night here in Iowa.

My first local indy show since 2/29/2020 (leap day). And that's how I can remember it. Cause it was on leap day.

In person wrestling as a whole is not back but I suppose it was a first step.

The wrestlers wore masks to the ring and maybe when they were working the floor. Not sure was really paying attention.

Can't really say the company took precautions but then it was an anniversary show.

At a quick and obvious look more didn't have masks on than did have masks on. Guess they got a shot. Who am I to judge or ask? Not interested in going all "kevin" (that's a male "karen" right?) on them.

Now the company has been having matches but no live audiences, minimal crew and on facebook.

I'm debating about going to a Hall of Fame signing with the family in July here in our state. Sgt. Slaughter, Mark Henry, Ken Shamrock, and Trish Stratus are all supposed to be there. It will be interesting to see if all show up. We want to meet Sgt. Slaughter in particular. Even though there is debate about whether he actually was ever in the military, my wife still likes him since her late father was in the military and they look somewhat similar. The kids like him because of G.I. Joe.

Heroic Warrior
    I've never been there. I'm always seeing stuff about it. Especially starting around this time of the year.

I THINK the issue is the mixing of the character/gimmick and the real life person.

Did the real person, Robert Remus, do those things. Sounds like he didn't.

Did the gimmick/character do those things. Yes.

And I think it's there where the fans are just assuming one did the other.

I'm baffled as why as people are surprised? I suppose that's the beauty and to an extent the goal to blur the line. To make the character believable.

I'm debating about going to a Hall of Fame signing with the family in July here in our state. Sgt. Slaughter, Mark Henry, Ken Shamrock, and Trish Stratus are all supposed to be there. It will be interesting to see if all show up. We want to meet Sgt. Slaughter in particular. Even though there is debate about whether he actually was ever in the military, my wife still likes him since her late father was in the military and they look somewhat similar. The kids like him because of G.I. Joe.

Robert Remus never served in the military. As a gimmick/character on TV is one thing just like any actor...but this is not the case with Remus. He has talked numerus times about his military experiece etc, and this was not while he was "in character" on TV or promoting his character or the company.
    For someone who never served in the military to actively try and say they actually served in the military is quite disrespectful. Also it's odd he had that gimmick considering the amount of wrestlers who did actually served in the military.

- - - Updated - - -

WWE Wrestlemania Backlash...

A Zombie Lumberjack match....

Maybe the worst wrestling match ever in the history of wrestling.
    The fact that someone actually thought this was a good idea then approved it to be shown on TV says a lot about the people running WWE. A complete embarassment to the business.

Most of my friends in real life are either complete non-fans, or casual fans at best.

In speaking to them about wrestling over the years, I've discovered that there are two disparate schools of thought on the subject of how "silly" wrestling should be allowed to be.

One school of thought is, "Wrestling is so blatantly fake that I can't watch it. If it at least pretended to be real, I might be able to give it a shot."

The OTHER is, "Since everybody knows it's fake, the more goofy and fake it is, the better. You've got an undead mortician throwing lightning bolts at people for 20 years, for crying out loud. None of this stuff matters. If anything, they need to make it even MORE like a cartoon."

To be clear, I am vehemently, even violently opposed to the second opinion. But, that is indeed a VERY common opinion, and it's entirely why stuff like what happened last night continues to happen. Or the stuff with the Fiend and Alexa Bliss, for another example.

Personally, I think all you need to do is look back and realize that ever since wrestling was openly admitted to be fake, its overall popularity has dropped further by the year, to the point where nobody even watches it at all anymore. To me, that says it all. 40 million people watched Hogan vs. Andre on NBC, a major TV network, the night Andre and DiBiase screwed Hogan out of the WWF Title. Even during the Monday Night War era, wrestling never got close to that kind of audience, and they never will again. Even if people in the 80s were "in on the secret", it's quite obvious, to me, that the presentation of at least PRETENDING to be a "real sport" was a point of appeal for many people. And the further you get from that, to where now you have zombies and guys wrestling the Invisible Man and Kenny Omega has a competitive match with an 11-year old girl in Japan... well, the numbers speak for themselves. Wrestling is more fake now than it's ever been, and what's more it REVELS in its fakery... and the audience is smaller than its been in a hundred years. Wrestling has never been less popular than it is Right Now, not since the carny days when it was literally a sideshow people passed by on their way to see the two-headed man and the guy biting the heads off of chickens.

But some people swear that all this stuff is "The way it SHOULD be," because "Why NOT? It's all fake anyway!"

I don't know, man. All I know is that Roddy Piper's gotta be spinning in his grave like a centrifuge right now.

Personally, I think all you need to do is look back and realize that ever since wrestling was openly admitted to be fake, its overall popularity has dropped further by the year, to the point where nobody even watches it at all anymore. To me, that says it all.
    It's like magic. One you know how to do the trick or the science behind it, it's no longer entertaining. I grew up watching the AWA, WCCW, and GCW...WWF and JCP/WCW later on. All of them were either on local or Cable television in my area back in the day at one time. Once I learned it was just "sports entertainment" it really hurt my perception of the industry. Deep down I kinda knew it was fake but there was that small glimmer of hope that it was real. That kept the shows entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    It's like magic. One you know how to do the trick or the science behind it, it's no longer entertaining. I grew up watching the AWA, WCCW, and GCW...WWF and JCP/WCW later on. All of them were either on local or Cable television in my area back in the day at one time. Once I learned it was just "sports entertainment" it really hurt my perception of the industry. Deep down I kinda knew it was fake but there was that small glimmer of hope that it was real. That kept the shows entertaining.
    This.^

Once the illusion is destroyed it is ruined.

I get people watch wrestling to be entertained, but it still needs to somewhat look real and believable. Between awful gimmick matches and the comedy talent on being used on TV it's just embarassing.

It also doesn't help when you have the talent on YouTube and Twitter/Facebook etc openly talking about all the behind the scenes stuff going on. It is just really destroying wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    This.^

Once the illusion is destroyed it is ruined.

I get people watch wrestling to be entertained, but it still needs to somewhat look real and believable. Between awful gimmick matches and the comedy talent on being used on TV it's just embarassing.

It also doesn't help when you have the talent on YouTube and Twitter/Facebook etc openly talking about all the behind the scenes stuff going on. It is just really destroying wrestling.
    I'm not defending nonsense like the Zombies (or current WWE in general), but in all honesty wrestlers constantly committing pretty serous crimes on national television and suffering no apparent legal consequences, actualy breaks my suspension of disbelief more. As weird as that sounds.

Case in point the famous segment of the Horsemen breaking Dusty Rhodes' arm. They basically filmed themselves committing assault, battery and causing a serous injury to guy and broadcasted it on tv. But they face no actual legal consequences for that or any other time they beat people down, like weren't they sitting in jail for all of that? Obviously the meta reason is that it's not real, but in story wrestlers are just inexplicably above the law with no explanation ever being given.

I don't know maybe it's just me that's that way, but it just takes me out of it way more than the supernatural stuff does.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I'm not defending nonsense like the Zombies (or current WWE in general), but in all honesty wrestlers constantly committing pretty serous crimes on national television and suffering no apparent legal consequences, actualy breaks my suspension of disbelief more. As weird as that sounds.

Case in point the famous segment of the Horsemen breaking Dusty Rhodes' arm. They basically filmed themselves committing assault, battery and causing a serous injury to guy and broadcasted it on tv. But they face no actual legal consequences for that or any other time they beat people down, like weren't they sitting in jail for all of that? Obviously the meta reason is that it's not real, but in story wrestlers are just inexplicably above the law with no explanation ever being given.

I don't know maybe it's just me that's that way, but it just takes me out of it way more than the supernatural stuff does.
    I understand what you saying. At a guess you can kind of look past some of it as just what your allowed to do in wrestling.
    There was some segments when some wrestlers were "arrested" on screen by police for their actions.
    A group of people committing an assault is one thing....a bunch of zombies is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I understand what you saying. At a guess you can kind of look past some of it as just what your allowed to do in wrestling.
    There was some segments when some wrestlers were "arrested" on screen by police for their actions.
    A group of people committing an assault is one thing....a bunch of zombies is just too much.
    I think context is the problem with the zombies stuff. If the whole show was just complete fantastical nonsense, then fine go nuts. But when they try to present the rest of the show a pseudo realistic manner, the Zombie stuff just becomes so out of place.

Basically either the whole show should be that kind of stuff or none of it should.

Anyway I think one big overlooked problem is that wrestling kind of learnt the wrong less learnt the wrong the Stone Cold character. Austin wasn't a hero he wasn't even really an anti hero, he was effectively a villain who's enemies just happened to be other villains. And even then his wrath wasn't limited to the villains as he would often attack and beat up innocent people, with little to no provocation.

Now it worked at the time down to Austin having a special type of charisma were you could root for him, as he did objectively horrible things. But I think the wrestling world (and WWE an particular) missed the part about Austin having a specific kind of charisma that make kind of thing work. Since ever since then wrestling has been full of faces who's characters are pretty terrible people. With what they do to the heels being either completely disproportionate to the heels actions or totally unprovoked.

The only reason we are given to root for the faces is because the narrative says we are meant to. They are clearly doing that because it worked with Austin, but they have no real understanding of why it worked with Austin.

Heroic Warrior

With the Miz really injured and probably out at least 7-9 months, it would be kind of funny if the WWE leaves everyone hanging, so we are supposed to assume that he was eaten alive.

Bang Your Head
    Who cares if he was in the military or not, it doesn't and shouldn't effect anyone's lives. He played a character. Besides, he's getting up there in age and who knows how many more of these he has left in him. I've met him and he is a real sweetheart of a guy. If you don't meet him, I think there is a possibility you'd regret it later on.
    I regret not getting to the mall a few hours early to meet the Rock in 2000, and years later meeting Savage when I was leaving the mall.

Also, Shamrock is another great guy. I ran into him at LAX the weekend of Mania 21. He waited for me while I frantically tried to find someone with a Sharpie...

Heroic Warrior
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...NTo3nxUre8hPbH

10 yrs ago : Macho Man RIP

It kinda felt like I had lost a brother or something when he died
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

The problem with Slaughter's claims is that "stolen valor" is a crime punishable by law. Especially if a person has made a lot of money from it, as Remus certainly has.

I like Sarge. He's a nice guy, and I don't want him thrown in jail or anything. But he shouldn't have done that. Or at least stopped once the internet made such claims super-easy to either verify or debunk.
    ---------

With regard to how wrestlers used to commit felonies on TV and escape prosecution, back in the day the announcers used to at least pay lip service to this by claiming that the wrestlers involved refused to press charges so that they could get payback in the ring personally. So at least it wasn't just handwaved away.

The best was when Hall and Nash flipped the Steiner Bros. car over and videotaped it. That one definitely stretched plausibility past the breaking point, but it was still pretty funny.
    ----------

The Sandman from ECW just sent me FB Friend request. That's kinda cool. We do have a lot of mutual friends (and we're both working the same show this weekend) but I was not expecting that one.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; May 19, 2021 at 11:52pm.

Bang Your Head
    The Sandman from ECW just sent me FB Friend request. That's kinda cool. We do have a lot of mutual friends (and we're both working the same show this weekend) but I was not expecting that one.
    Snadman was pretty cool when I met him. Both him and Balls Mahoney were sunbathing outside of the Target Center before a Smack Down/ECW show...

With regard to how wrestlers used to commit felonies on TV and escape prosecution, back in the day the announcers used to at least pay lip service to this by claiming that the wrestlers involved refused to press charges so that they could get payback in the ring personally. So at least it wasn't just handwaved away.

The best was when Hall and Nash flipped the Steiner Bros. car over and videotaped it. That one definitely stretched plausibility past the breaking point, but it was still pretty funny.
    I enjoyed the time Vince McMahon had all the cops in the ring for protection and was showing a video and bragging about what he did to Steve Austin. Then when Austin came out got McMahon arrested for assault.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...NTo3nxUre8hPbH

10 yrs ago : Macho Man RIP

It kinda felt like I had lost a brother or something when he died
    I watched the recent Macho Man documetry the other day. It was interesting but some of the people interviewed left a lot to be desired. Some people were not at all happy about some of the things they were saying about him. Some like Eric Bischoff have even said he was embarassed and regretted evn being a part of the documentry.

- - - Updated - - -

With the Miz really injured and probably out at least 7-9 months, it would be kind of funny if the WWE leaves everyone hanging, so we are supposed to assume that he was eaten alive.
    Hmmm he tore his ACL. When I read the headline he was injured I thought he just hurt his pride.

Heroic Warrior

Live Events--new links