Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Official Catch-All Pro-Wrestling Thread.

They cover some people's medical, others pay out of pocket, it's a very weird system.

Never worked there, never will. Just worked and spoken with many, many... many people who've been there, some of them multiple times over. Guys who were there in the 80s, the 90s, the 00s, and the '10s, and so on. You tend to hear a lot of things repeated, to the point where you can kinda/sorta fill in the blanks of what goes on without actually being there.

Like they famously never used to pay ANYONE'S health care. But then more and more news outlets started making noise about that in recent years, to the point where they had to do SOMEthing about the bad press. So now they DO pay medical for some people, but not everyone. It's very arbitrary, and seems to mostly depend on how big a "star" you are.

But yeah, some guys do get health care with WWE and it's pretty much the only reason they stay. Everyone working there is completely miserable. Pretty sure I'm not spilling any tea with that "scoop".
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Some of the releases were a real surprise...others not so much. Personally I think some of them would be better in other promotions as WWE only hired them to deprive other companies of actually using them.
    A bigger surprise is some of the people they haven't released.

Gallows recently said in an interview what most people suspected for years: At some point several years ago, WWE was actively trying to kill off the indies by hoarding as much talent as they could afford whether they could use them or not. The point was, "We have our own feeder system in NXT, all the independents do is dilute the product", and if you buy up all the talent and stick them on a shelf, the indies would (in theory) die off.

The complete opposite is what actually happened, and as a result WWE ended up with at least three times as many performers as they could ever use, and that definitely couldn't last forever. There's other stuff at play too but that's all part of it.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Gallows recently said in an interview what most people suspected for years: At some point several years ago, WWE was actively trying to kill off the indies by hoarding as much talent as they could afford whether they could use them or not. The point was, "We have our own feeder system in NXT, all the independents do is dilute the product", and if you buy up all the talent and stick them on a shelf, the indies would (in theory) die off.

The complete opposite is what actually happened, and as a result WWE ended up with at least three times as many performers as they could ever use, and that definitely couldn't last forever. There's other stuff at play too but that's all part of it.
    There is so many talents there that could easily leave WWE and do a lot better in other promotions and on the indies.

In theory.

Too many guys are marks for the business and buy into the whole "Your entire career is a waste if you're not getting a big WWE run" thing. So even while a lot of guys do well on the indies, in the back of their minds they still feel like "failures" even though they're not.

Pro wrestling is the exact opposite of a meritocracy and other people are in complete control of your success (or lack thereof) no matter what you do. So from where I stand, it seems silly to get emotionally attached to a "goal" you might never reach simply because someone in charge of decisions decided you were too short, too fat, too old, too blonde, too anything, and decided you were no longer worth their time.

But yeah, lots of guys will hit the indies and do just fine. It just sucks because a LOT of them are going to feel a lot of insecurity and nagging doubt about no longer being part of "the REAL show", and that's too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

SO, we met DDP on Saturday at Pandora's Box Toys & Collectibles!

Also, the next two weekends are gonna be extremely busy for me. On the 13th I'm wrestling for SuperKrazee Pro Wrestling in the afternoon before heading over to make my debut for IWA-Vintage Pro Wrestling on their evening show. THEN next weekend on the 20th, Pandora's Box is having Sid Vicious do a signing, after which we're gonna be heading down to the Monster Factory where I'll be competing in the annual Turkey Slam Battle Royal!

Not a bad way to finish of the year. I gotta get someone to rattle the cages over at cagematch.net and get 'em to update my bio... for a guy who "retired in 2015" I've been rather busy lately. I'll have wrestled for five different companies this year and I think that's some kind of personal record for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Did my usual pop-in on the Diving Cutter Podcast. We talked about some of the recent WWE releases, the ROH shutdown, and made our AEW Full Gear predictions. Lotta fun, as usual. Check it out!

Part 1 of 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ds6cl4KiUo

Part 2 of 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLCF3ao7BMg

Warning for the fact that we curse a LOT, and also I'm pretty vicious towards Nia Jax early on. "WE'RE SHOOTIN', PAL!"

As a bonus, here's a little side rant where we went on about whether MMA and pro wrestling work well when mixed, and how Japanese and American attitudes towards pro wrestling are so drastically different:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wE_qmxheQ

I had a great time tonight at the World-Famous Monster Factory for the annual Turkey Slam Battle Royal! Always one of my favorite shows of the year! Got to catch up with some old friends, AND make some new ones like the man himself Homicide!

Had a great time in the Battle Royal, even though I stiffed the living hell out of everyone. I was in the back watching the matches on the monitor and I'm like, "oh, man, that camera's in really tight... I better not whiff anything." So I went too far the other way and accidentally clobbered every single guy I hit. Ah well, we all came out in one piece.

AND I'll be back on December 18th! I thought I was done for the year but I guess we got one more to go!

Heroic Warrior
    Johnny Gargano's contract will expire before War Games and he hasn't renewed. He has however inked a deal that will take him through the WG event on December 5th.

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/th...atus-with-wwe/

It has been confirmed that Seth Rollins will be taking on both Kevin Owens and WWE champion Big E in a Triple Threat match for the WWE Championship at Day 1 on New Year's Day.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

So I've heard about the whole situation with the fan attacking Seth and more specificly older wrestlers saying Seth should have protected his image by taking some shots at the guy, after the refs had neutralised him. With one of their main arguments being that the lawsuits wouldn't matter because the company would cover it, but I don't think it's about that and frankly I disagree with them for two reason.

1: I don't see taking pot shots at a guy who's being restrained by a bunch of refs, as a tough guy thing to do, nor do I see it as something that would protect ones image as a tough guy. In Fact I kind of see it as the opposite.

2: Yeah the fan is probably just a some drunk idiot, but there's always a decent chance it could be someone with mental problems (that was apparently the case with the fan who attacked Rollins) and I don't see roughing him up as a good thing in that situation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a wrestler shouldn't defend themselves, but if the dude is no longer a threat, I don't really see any justifiable reason to rough them up, once they are already neutralised as a threat.

Kinda six of one, I see it both ways. Like if it were me and I was flying on adrenaline, I know for a fact I would've swung for the fences on that guy after being tackled like that, whether he was restrained or not. Not saying that would be a "good" way of handling it, just saying, I know me and I know how I'd react in such a situation. I'm pretty high strung, especially when I'm about to perform.

That said, it is pretty obvious that this person is mentally handicapped, but nobody had any way of knowing that at the time. I've always lived under the rule of "Don't swing unless you're ready to fight", and therefore if you attack someone you're already inviting physical repercussions. I can't say I ever feel sorry for anyone that happens to. "Disabled" or no, don't swing unless you're ready to take one back.

But no, it wouldn't have made Seth "more of a tough guy". I DO agree, though, with someone (Flair, I think?) saying Seth never should have sold the attack when asked about it. He said it was "terrifying", and maybe it was, but it's the kind of thing that none of the "real stars" ever would have acknowledged. It DOES diminish your aura as any sort of "tough guy" and it's a huge thing that gets brought up whenever any "old-timer" mentions how "soft" the younger guys are now. Pro wrestling IS still predicated to some degree on suspension of disbelief; back in the day, people actually believed that guys like Harley Race and Steve Williams could win a bar fight, and that was a huge part of their appeal. Nowadays, to paraphrase Cornette, you have a bunch of Pilates enthusiasts cosplaying as "tough guys" and nobody buys it because you can just tell that none of them have ever been in a non-scripted confrontation in their lives. On some level, you DO need to think these guys could handle themselves if push came to shove.

But now, even if Seth CAN actually handle himself in a "real" fight, he's on-record saying that getting tackled by a guy he saw coming from 40 yards away and lightly smacked a couple of times was "terrifying", so any mystique he had as being "A Real Man" is completely shot (as if those leaked nudes of his Tic-Tac didn't already ruin his reputation years ago ). Like, now every fan knows they could probably at least get a few decent shots in on a guy like Seth, and that he'd probably be "too terrified" to retaliate.

That's never the image you want one of your "top guys" to have. We at least have to PRETEND they're tough guys or the entire illusion falls apart. Maybe Seth was right to not hit the guy back, but publicly saying it was "terrifying" was the complete WRONG thing to do, even if it was true. You don't SAY that out loud, c'mon man.

But then again, pretty much every single time Seth speaks out loud in public whether it's in an interview or social media, he pretty much comes off like a real idiot. He had a ton more support years ago before he started making noise off of TV. Now everybody thinks he's a toolbox, and it's pretty much all his own fault.

I don't know about that. When it comes to the whole don't start a fight if you aren't ready to get hit thing. I don't think a disabled person could make the choice the same way a neurotypical person would. By all means swing back to defend ones self, but I think it's best to just leave it to the refs/security once they have been neutralised. Obviously there is no way to really tell in that situation, but there's always a decent chance that they will be, not of sound mind.

I don't think anyone ever bought or thought of Flair as a tough guy in his day (not saying he wasn't tough, just that that was just never the image he projected). Same goes for HBK.

Yes someone like Race looked tough (and was actualy tough by most accounts), but even back in his day, most none wrestling fans saw wrestlers as "phony tough guys", so I don't think the illusion was ever quite as strong as some fans thought it was.

I think wrestlers trying to pretend that they are real tough guys IRL (even the ones who actualy are tough guys) would never get taken seriously in this day and age.
    Last edited by A Dalek; December 4, 2021 at 01:19pm.

Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar
    WWE DVD and Blu-Ray releases are coming to an end in the United States and other places soon: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...ing-to-an-end/

Heroic Warrior
    Jeff Hardy has reportedly been pulled from the road

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/r...w-match-361766

Last Monday it has been confirmed on Raw that Bobby Lashley will compete against WWE champion Big E, Owens and Rollins at Day 1 after successfully defeating all 3 of them, making it a Fatal 4-Way for the WWE Championship.

Also at Day 1, Liv Morgan will be facing Becky Lynch for the Raw Women's Championship; Lynch later injured her challenger's arm in a brief altercation outside the ring.
    Last edited by Neophron; December 31, 2021 at 01:45am.

When it comes to Cornette I don't entirely disagree with his criticisms of modern wrestling, but I always found it strange that he used the term cosplay as an insult. The guy spent his entire career cosplaying as an anime character.

Last edited by A Dalek; December 16, 2021 at 12:01pm.

Heroic Warrior
    ^ wow, that's pretty crazy lol

Bryan Danielson vs Adam Page was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Bryan Danielson vs Adam Page was excellent.
    Yes it was, with a great finish to set up a rubber match.

The CM Punk vs MJF feud has the potential to be great as well. I just hope the match lives up to the promo and in-ring banter between them.
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

WWE champion Big E and Lashley successfully defeated both Rollins and Owens in the main event of Raw back on Monday; Lashley was knocked unconscious when his head was stomped on the steel steps by Rollins with Owens' help after the match.

WWE Women's champion Lynch challenged an injured Morgan by throwing a kendo stick to her; earlier before the incident Morgan assaulted a student whom she mistook for Lynch with the same kendo stick at her gym in Iowa.
    Last edited by Neophron; December 22, 2021 at 10:47am.