Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TG Blog # 15: Scareglow - Ghost with the most

Well albeit the slight tweaks and modifications of the bio; I always loved Scare Glow and the threat he could pose to ALL factions of the MOT-Universe. A being who can make people freeze in fear or exploit those fears, is a pretty A-list character quality that could be exposed by Skeletor , yet not totally in his control. Maybe Scare Glow serves Skeletor momentarily due to his release from his imprisonment but eventually comes to the realization that he doesn't need to serve anyone and become a loose canon among the land.

What I would like for Toyguru to consider is maybe we can get a Karak figure and see what he was BEFORE Scare Glow and maybe a little more on the bio? (Such as maybe he did learn a secret in which his transformation became a curse for discovering such...) I mean he seems to be a rare character who actually had brains enough to try and discover the secrets of Grayskull, what was his reasons for doing so and he must've had resources or have been made of some quality traits to undertake such a task....
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    duplicate post.
    Last edited by phantom1592; May 16, 2012 at 11:15pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I never liked him being 'dead skeletor'. I think that's lame...

1) He would inherently be older, wiser and more experienced than regular skeletor and would never 'obey' him...

2) It means skeletor died...

3) It means after he dies... he serves his younger version... very humilating.

I'm not a fan of any story that tells you how it ends... And that' really my biggest issue with the bios. Knowing MAA's Fate, or Hordak's or Randor's... is almost as bad as overexplaining what Castle Grayskull is, and who built it... they both equally annoy me.

As for the Reliqueary...

I love the CONCEPT of it... and I loved the grayskull sculpt... very old-school after being bombarded with the 200x travesty. However, having grown up with the 'key' being the power sword... both in pre-filmation AND Filmation (By the power of Grayskull... i command the jaw bridge... OPEEEEEEN!!!!) Seeing that little skeleton key was VERY underwhelming... I like the idea and the chains... but... the key?! ehhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Well...Skeletor created a ghost that looked like him to scare people. In MOTUC, he was some guy that tried to break into Castle Grayskull and eventually dies.

I don't see much difference really... Skeletor didn't 'create' a ghost. He 'conjured' one.... And in the Search for Keldor, actually showed him 'summoning' it... The licensing thing and the Bio don't really disagree on anything... other than 'why' he may be a 'skeleton'.

I explained in detail to the execs that while “Scareglow” was a quick fix to getting more product out in 1986/1987, now-a-days he was actually one of the most demanded collector figures (mostly due to not being in the 2002 line, but also because he is just so cool looking.

I was given a “well, if you say so” nod (which really does show the trust that upper management has put in me personally for this line) but I still stand by my choice that Scareglow was 100% the right figure to release early in the line.
    I appreciate the back story on the production of the figures. Although I think it would best for Scott to avoid statements such as the one above that could potentially be construed in a negative light. I'm not saying Scott doesn't deserve credit but the comments like the assertion in parenthesis isn't conducive to positive fan relations. When praise is due, it is better to let other people pat you on the back instead of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    I appreciate the back story on the production of the figures. Although I think it would best for Scott to avoid statements such as the one above that could potentially be construed in a negative light. I'm not saying Scott doesn't deserve credit but the comments like the assertion in parenthesis isn't conducive to positive fan relations. When praise is due, it is better to let other people pat you on the back instead of yourself.
    Well you may be right but since these are kind of like a Director's Cut, I think that's why it was mentioned. You get the true, real behind the scene and state of mind during figure process and I'm sure he wanted to convey how hard it was to get the line going and hurdles he had to endure to make sure it was all or nothing, #leavenocharacterbehind

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Very interesting article--... sorry, "director's commentary".

Although not one of my "must haves" for the line, especially so very early on, Scare Glow is nonetheless a really good figure.

I never took to his bio though; I felt there was so much more they could have done with such a mysterious character (both in terms of being a ghost, and in terms with his possible connections to Skeletor). Like Jukka, I don't know why they didn't go more in the vein of the 1987 Style Guide bio, brief as it is. Although not "the ghost of Skeletor", a definite connection, of Skeletor creating Scare Glow in his own image. (The whole day / nighttime thing also has scope).

Also, I wonder why, going by the Classics bio, Scare Glow is the one to be cursed and tormented for his attempt on merely "breaking in" to Grayskull? Over the years and franchises, we've seen countless villains, from both Skeletor to the Evil Warriors, other fractions, and numerous "one shot" villains (especially in the Filmation days) try just as much, if not worse, so what'd old Scare Glow do to get such a curse?!

I know there's only so much can be done in just a few lines, but Scare Glow always felt to be one of the missed opportunities of the Classics bios. Although never quite an A-lister, they could've tied him into the thick of things much more than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I wonder why they couldn't use material from Mattel's 1987 Style Guide that has a bio for Scare Glow?
    (albeit a *very short* bio, LOL)

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._glow_m416.gif
    Last edited by Spacedust; May 16, 2012 at 07:15pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Also, I wonder why, going by the Classics bio, Scare Glow is the one to be cursed and tormented for his attempt on merely "breaking in" to Grayskull? Over the years and franchises, we've seen countless villains, from both Skeletor to the Evil Warriors, other fractions, and numerous "one shot" villains (especially in the Filmation days) try just as much, if not worse, so what'd old Scare Glow do to get such a curse?!
    Well... we never saw any of the filmation people DIE yet

But again... I agree with this. It goes back to 'telling us how the story ends'... If the villains are cursed for this... Does grayskull really NEED a champion? Sounds like it all works out in the end...

Maybe if they mentioned that some earlier sorceress placed the curse... as she died.... then that would be SOMETHING.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    I liked this BIO, the Karak Kul name, the new accessory and all. Scareglow is GREAT!!!
    Me too. Scare Glow's bio was actually one of my favorite ones!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Hey I'm still kinda new to the forums in regards to posting a poll but can someone maybe post a "DO WE WANT A KARAK NUL FIGURE"? I proposed a good reason as to why maybe we would want one in a previous post...

Scareglow is a perfect example of everything in MOTUC working together in one package. It is an awesome repaint/buck reuse, it has a fantastic newly created accessory in the Reliquary, it has a a great improvement on an existing piece in the fading cape, a (pretty much) universally liked real name and a highly acceptable bio.

There are not many figures in the line that can cross off all of those items

Heroic Warrior
    Kind of wish I'd picked a second one up the last time they had him listed for sale, but oh well. One day a spare Scareglow and Grizzlor shall grace my bookshelf!!!

And yes. As soon as I got him, I charge him up under a light to check out his glowing effect.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Scareglow is a perfect example of everything in MOTUC working together in one package. It is an awesome repaint/buck reuse, it has a fantastic newly created accessory in the Reliquary, it has a a great improvement on an existing piece in the fading cape, a (pretty much) universally liked real name and a highly acceptable bio.

One of the best critiques I've heard and very well put Fallen!

Couldn't agree more with this! Scareglow is a BIG favorite and it was awesome to get him to soon. Even though he didn't make it for October (my birth month) I still consider the fact that they tried to get him there! Great idea and awesome friggin' figure. The only one that has had a permanent place on my nightstand.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Still remember the surprise that we were getting Scareglow early on in the line. Great figure all round.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*200X ~ WMD Roboto/Sorceress *Filmation ~ Teela' Na/Hawke *Play-Sets ~ Eternia/Crystal Castle *Vehicles ~ Land Shark/Roton *Beasts ~ Stridor/Dragoon

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post

I agree! One of the very few bios I actually like.. also isn't his vintage and Classics weapon technically a Halberd... not a Scythe (or a sickle TG)
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    I agree! One of the very few bios I actually like.. also isn't his vintage and Classics weapon technically a Halberd... not a Scythe (or a sickle TG)
    yeah, calling his weapon a scythe or a sickle always bothered me. every time TG called faker an evil roboto, it both annoyed and amused me.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I think seeing Scare Glow, King Randor, and Adora in the pics for that year's SDCC lineup, plus getting He-Ro as an exclusive that year, got me to seriously start thinking about collecting MOTUC. Honestly, after feeling burned with the end of 200X and the death of the stactions, I figured Classics wasn't going to last very long. I loved them, but they were quite expensive and I figured they'd only do a handful of the main characters then call it quits. Wow, was I wrong about THAT! When I saw where this line was going with characters like Scare Glow (who, along with Shokoti, brings some of the "horror" component to the MOTU blend), I was convinced things were really going somewhere.

Scott, FYI Scare Glow appeared in the very cool 200X Dream Halloween comic "The Power of Fear." If you haven't read it, definitely check it out. Totally worth reading. I remember freaking out when I saw Scare Glow in that comic!!

http://he-man.org/assets/images/coll...nt_06_full.jpg
    That is exactly my question, the weapon he originally came with and currently comes with, is a halberd, not a Scythe. The scythe component was added to his weapon in the 2002 "power of fear" comic, where it combines both the halberd on one side, and the scythe blade on the other side. The one complaint that I have for this figure, is that Mattel failed to use the existing media,to give us the the best possible choice for an accessory, This one being pretty easy to do. Now not to say they haven't done it in the past( Shadow Weaver is a great example of them doing their research to give us the best possible accessories), But I think that the accessoires included with figures are definitly just as important as design choices for each figure, and that in regard, proper research should be done into all existing media, to extract all possibilities for accessories, before something is created from scratch. An excellent source for this material is the index included in the MOTUC section, alot of good material is on their, and their is a page dedicated to all important pertaining characters.

But getting back to the subject, Toy Guru, if you could answer, why was that scythe blade not included on the other side of the Halberd, was that a design coice by mattel or was that choice made by the 4H? I love the direction that this line is going, but to improve it further, attention to details like that will greatly improve fan reactions to characters.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Another good entry - scareglow is another of my faves
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    That is exactly my question, the weapon he originally came with and currently comes with, is a halberd, not a Scythe.
    Yes, but the packaging on the 1987 figure referred to it as the "scythe of doom".

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I think seeing Scare Glow, King Randor, and Adora in the pics for that year's SDCC lineup, plus getting He-Ro as an exclusive that year, got me to seriously start thinking about collecting MOTUC. Honestly, after feeling burned with the end of 200X and the death of the stactions, I figured Classics wasn't going to last very long. I loved them, but they were quite expensive and I figured they'd only do a handful of the main characters then call it quits. Wow, was I wrong about THAT! When I saw where this line was going with characters like Scare Glow (who, along with Shokoti, brings some of the "horror" component to the MOTU blend), I was convinced things were really going somewhere.

Scott, FYI Scare Glow appeared in the very cool 200X Dream Halloween comic "The Power of Fear." If you haven't read it, definitely check it out. Totally worth reading. I remember freaking out when I saw Scare Glow in that comic!!

http://he-man.org/assets/images/coll...nt_06_full.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Yes, but the packaging on the 1987 figure referred to it as the "scythe of doom".
    Thats fine , the power of fear comic corrected the mistake and made it into an awesome hybrid of the original weapon/ scythe. The fact of the matter is that what they are presenting to us is not a scythe, so even though it was called the scythe of doom, either present us with what is being mentioned or call it something different. In the license kit it was called the spirit staff. And if MOTUC is supposed to be combining all media forms of a character, and mix and match the best parts of each, well they should given us the power of fear weapon, which looks way cooler and still gives us the vintage, upgraded!

Heroic Warrior
    People seem to forget that for them to change the design to it's proper POF appearance they would have to acknowledge MVC- something I think we can all agree is far from the execs desires at the present point and time. (why else would they have previously been so against Illumina for instance?).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    People seem to forget that for them to change the design to it's proper POF appearance they would have to acknowledge MVC- something I think we can all agree is far from the execs desires at the present point and time. (why else would they have previously been so against Illumina for instance?).
    I don't think the executives were "against" Illumina - I doubt Scott has ever even mentioned her to them, as they only seem to (unfortunately) know what Scott tells them. He very well may, but I doubt there is some vast Mattel conspiracy over it.

The fact is, like her or not, she was shown on one page of a comic book, and from my understanding, not even part of the story proper. That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a figure, but when we have dozens of actually released, fleshed out characters to go, I can see why she wasn't a #1 priority.

What's funny about her in particular, is that I can call it now - let's say she does get a figure. The bellyaching will be enormous when she doesn't look exactly how people imagine her - once she is "classicized". I can so see it now.
    Last edited by EtherianChronicles; May 18, 2012 at 04:43am.

Heroic Warrior
    (why else would they have previously been so against Illumina for instance?).
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    The fact is, like her or not, she was shown on one page of a comic book, and from my understanding, not even part of the story proper. That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a figure, but when we have dozens of actually released, fleshed out characters to go, I can see why she wasn't a #1 priority.
    That's why.

She pretty much falls straight into the 'concept/undeveloped' character slot same as Vykron, Demoman, and the Star Sisters... but without the 'cool...ish' 30 year old sitting in the vault feel that the old concepts have...

And there has been a LOT of backlash about the all the concept figures while the established guys like Ram man and the whole herd of NA and PoP figures are waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I wonder why they couldn't use material from Mattel's 1987 Style Guide that has a bio for Scare Glow?
    (albeit a *very short* bio, LOL)

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._glow_m416.gif
    When I was reading this I though 'I'm sure Scare Glow had a Style Guide page, oh well must be imaging it' and I even had that picture of him from it my mind, so glad to see I wasn't imaging it

Still an enjoyable blog

200x Scare Glow rocked, wish we had gotten a staction of him. Always liked Scare Glow and Ninjor as they had a good origin story in the UK comic but I never had either figures as a kid
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    In Matty's defense, they did use a reworked version of MVCreations' published Faceless One origin and even gave him the havoc staff like he had in the comic. Part of Trap-Jaw's origin comes from the MVC 'Icons of Evil' story. That said, it'd be fun to see them draw on other MVC stuff such as the shard of darkness, etc.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com