Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if MOTUC Came Out in Waves?

What if MOTUC Came Out in Waves?

Update: Thought I'd resurrect this in light of recent events. Would people be more willing to go this sort of route?

How would you guys feel about 3 waves of 4 figures each? You pre-order them in waves like you would from BBTS or something. The waves are developed and budgeted as a unit. It's a mix of different characters. You have to buy all or none. I think it's something a lot of us are used to. You could also save on shipping that way.

IF the sub really isn't working (I'm giving it a few more weeks before I declare it isn't myself), maybe it's the format that's the problem now and not so much the figure line itself?

______

Old Message:

So... I've been thinking about this for a while.

Rising production costs (materials, labor) and rising shipping costs are a reality. I know none of us like them, but they are happening across every industry and there really is no way to fight that tide. So, it means that MOTUC is probably going to have to change. It seemed like one route Mattel might take from recent Q&A answers is to reduce the SKU count next year. That means less figures.

I worry about this a bit because I'd rather have more figures now at a lower price. But, of course, part of the problem with so many SKUs is that not everyone can afford them. Part of the issue is that most of us are paying at least $10 extra per figure for shipping.

What if, instead of a monthly figure, MOTUC was released in quarterly waves of 5 figures each? We'd miss the fun of a monthly figure, but Mattel could get some cost savings by combining shipping from Asia to the US. WE would get some cost savings by combining shipping to us. If everyone got figures in quarterly bundles, then there would be no feeling of being left out if you didn't get a figure a month (versus offering to just ship the figures quarterly and leaving the monthly option open to some.)

Thoughts?
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

YES! This would save me sooo much money in shipping costs, I might actually be able to buy a house some day... LOL! I doubt this would ever happen, but if it did I wouldn't say no to getting a shipment 4 times a year of 3 or 4 figures per shipment.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure about this. I like getting monthly figures.

I'd rather pay more to get my monthly fix.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    It seemed like one route Mattel might take from recent Q&A answers is to reduce the SKU count next year. That means less figures.
    I would not like to see them coming in waves.

Less figures might only mean "less figures than 2012", which is logical because the anniversary is over. I'm totally fine with only one figure a month.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I like the idea of waves!
    Johan Eggink aka Eterniandreams

johaneggink@gmail.com

I would be ok with this IF we got 6-8 items a quarter. I mean it would be very similar to a wave of figures at retail. Also, this would make CAC figures more feasible and they could cut some larger sku's if they distributed them as build-a-figures.

NO. Keep it monthly.

I'ld be down if it saved me money...means I can purchase more. As far as monthly fix goes...I'm playing catch up as it is so the marketplace has me covered there!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Nah! I like something every month
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Keep it monthly.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) Azdar Belzar Chazdar 200X Evil-Lyn 200X Teenage Prince Adam 200X Teenage Teela 200X Sorceress General Rattlor (MYP) 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena Ice Armor He-Man WMD Roboto

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Ideally, I'd like it to stay monthly. But there are two factors - Rising production costs, and Matty already swamping us with multiple items each month. I'd rather they cut back on these extra items and at least concentrate on one "main" item each month. Less production cost for them, and more flexible on the collector's wallet. Might even give them more time to check all their QC problems, too
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

No thanks.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2019!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

I like the idea of getting a figure every month.

Didn't Mattel try something similar to this when the first introduced the subscription back in 2009 where people could elect to get their figures all at once at the end of the year to save on shipping? I seem to remember TG saying that this option wasn't too popular.

I kind of like this idea. But...

I would be more for an idea like if there was only one figure that month being released then they could hold on to that figure for the next sale. If done correctly that would only mean only 4 months we would not get figures. 12 regular figs, 4 beasts/oversized, 4 variants. One of the months could be December because even if you order them in mid December you normally don't get them by Christmas anyways. Another could be July. And maybe there are only 2 because of the con exclusive and a vehicle too.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    What if MOTUC Came Out in Quarterly Waves?
    I'd wait until they were available individually so I don't have to buy figures I don't want in each particular wave. I do the same thing with each Marvel Universe figure wave release.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Save the Waves for retail....it may save money, but so will reducing the amount of Skus, less figures to import, the sub will cost less, or less than it would otherwise.....if the sub figures stayed the same from this year, eveyone will be looking at at sub of at least $650 or more, reduce the skus, keep the price at $500 or so like 2012, and the price increase is offset for fans by having to buy less figures....

Besides I have a hard enough time waiting a month when there are actually figures I do want....harder when I have to skip a month or 2 because of no figures I want....waiting 4 to 6 months for a figure....no thanks, it's bad enough when I do it occassionally at BBTS, and I wait until I fill up the POL to save mad on shipping....but it's usually figures I missed or can actually wait for....

It's bad enough waiting all those months when Sorceress & Thunder Punch He-Man were revealed, then still having to wait another month because her production slipped, now the seemingly long wait for Mekaneck....October is so far away.....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 2, 2012 at 05:11pm.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Beast Man & Evil Seed
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    No thanks. Monthly.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Definitely a good idea to save good money on shipping.

But...Monthly fix/excitement > Quarterly.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'd wait until they were available individually so I don't have to buy figures I don't want in each particular wave. I do the same thing with each Marvel Universe figure wave release.
    I think the thread starter meant that they would hold figures for a bigger sale. Like the first sale of the year being in April and that sale would have 5 figures and one beast. You could choose which ones you wanted unless you had the sub.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Heroic Warrior
    I'd prefer it to continue monthly.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Well, I'm not SUPER shocked that this idea isn't that popular.

In the here and now, I'd agree with a lot of you. Even if next year the figures go up a few more dollars. But I was thinking more long term. Maybe I can break it down for you a little bit. I didn't want my first post to be huge so I held back some of what I've been thinking here.

First off, using current sub prices, let's look at what we paid approximately for figures last year (and no, I'm not using actual release times... some figures were delayed, quarterly figures came out at different times, etc. Also, I'm using my shipping costs):

Jan - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    Feb - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    March - Month Figure, Quarterly Figure, Beast/2-pack + Shipping = $95
    April - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    May - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    June - Month Figure, Quarterly Figure, Beast/2-pack + Shipping = $85
    July - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    Aug - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    Sept - Month Figure, Quarterly Figure, Beast/2-pack + Shipping = $85
    Oct - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    Nov - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    Dec - Month Figure, Quarterly Figure, Beast/2-pack + Shipping = $85

So, offered as subs, we got 16 figures and 4 Beast/2-pack slots for a total of $590
    $140 of that was in shipping.

This year, this is THEORETICALLY what we would have paid if the schedule hadn't gotten all wonky. (Again, I'm sort of ignoring actual release dates and just going with theoretical quarterly releases and quarterly beast/multi-pack releases here):

Jan - Monthly Figure, 30th Figure + Shipping = $52
    Feb - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    March - Monthly Figure, Quarterly Figure, 30th Figure, Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $135
    Apr - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    May - Monthly Figure, 30th Figure + Shipping = $52
    June - Monthly Figure, Quarterly Figure, Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $85
    Jul - Monthly Figure, 30th Figure + Shipping = $52
    Aug - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    Sept - Monthly Figure, Quarterly Figure, 30th Figure, Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $105
    Oct - Monthly Figure + Shipping = $30
    Nov - Monthly Figure, 30th Figure + Shipping = $52
    Dec - Monthly Figure, Quarterly Figure, Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $95

So, offered as subs, we got 22 figures and 4 Beast/multi-pack slots for a total of $748
    $148 of that was in shipping.

Under what I'm proposing, this is what it'd look like (I'm just using current prices for comparison's sake. We know they are going up.):

March - 5 figures, 1 Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $180
    June - 5 figures, 1 Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $150
    Sept - 5 figures, 1 Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $150
    Dec - 5 figures, 1 Beast/Multi-pack + Shipping = $160

So, offered as subs, we'd get 20 figures and 4 Beast/multi-pack slots for a total of $640
    $80 of that would be in shipping.

As you can see, it means we'd only get 2 figures less than we did this year, for a savings of $108!

So... does that change anyone's mind?
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

It is somewhat easier to come up with an average of $45-$55 a month than it is to come up with $180 in one hit. Most people are not just paying for MOTUC they also have bills and their general costs of living.

Plus explaining to your partner that this week you are paying $180 for toys, even though you won't be doing it again for a couple more months, can be pretty hard to do

A lot of it is psychological but I would rather pay an average of $45-$55 a month than $180 every few months.

I could imagine this making Day of sales more crazy assuming they would be quarterly as well. There would probably be faster sellouts and more WSOD.

I think they thought about this in the beginning and the overall response was "no, keep it monthly".