Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 086 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 086 Discussion!

Episode 086 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss
    Pixel-Dan.com,
    snow bombing,
    portuguese comedy troupe,
    new He-Man comic from DC,
    morals in cartoons,
    Avengers movie,
    Hulk vs Superman vs He-Man,
    core elements of a story,
    sales of the comic,
    Power-Con/ThunderCon guests,
    Director Commentaries,
    He-Man.org SDCC Power Party,
    SDCC hotel situation,
    video reviews,
    interviews by Tallstar,
    Mosquitor
    and more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    none

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    none

Intro/Outro info:
    (none)

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 38 minutes, 49 seconds

Direct link for Episode 086

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Bring on the Gooble buffet, Val! Enjoyed 85 today, and I'm looking forward to the rest.

YES!
    I love the wallpaper by the way!!
    That would make a great T-shirt

Already had 3 comments at work:
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; July 5, 2012 at 03:34am.
    Johan Eggink aka Eterniandreams

[email protected]

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    Genau! You have to beat your meat!

I love how GrEyskull Tales still pops up to gives us all a laugh.

I'm with Eamon - bring on John Parr "Man in Motion" (and Tears for Fears! )

Val, I totally forgot about when we stumbled without knowing in to that 70s cover band presentation

Heroic Warrior
    No way in hell He-Man Filmation is better animation than the 1987 G.I. Joe Moving opening sequence. That was mind-blowing when I saw it as a kid, and is definitely better than the He-Man Filmation series.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    No way in hell He-Man Filmation is better animation than the 1987 G.I. Joe Moving opening sequence. That was mind-blowing when I saw it as a kid, and is definitely better than the He-Man Filmation series.
    Well, that goes without saying because the movie opening had a bigger animation budget, RockHard. But I would say that the regular G.I. Joe TV series had better animation than Filmation He-Man. The 3rd season of G.I. Joe does push that assessment though...
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; July 5, 2012 at 12:21pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I agree 100%.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Yes, the Filmation cartoon boosted Masters' numbers tremendously, but not because it was any good!

It was campy, goofy & (even as a 9-year-old) I hated being talked down to. While my friends were lapping it up, I was happily engrossed in the first 2-3 series of mini-comics!

Kind of reminds me of today...as others take whatever they're given, I happily re-read my MVC comics!

Great podcast guys...anxiously awaiting more Gooble!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I'm always surprised at people who don't like the Filmation cartoons. I guess it is hard for me to switch my brain over to that when they were both such a huge and magical part of my childhood.

I always thought Filmation animation looked better than most all 80s cartoons I watched as a kid. Today we throw out terms like "stock footage" but to me everything looked so beautiful, especially the transformation sequences. As an adult today, I also really admire how Lou Scheimer kept everything in the US and saved so many jobs at the time.

great show guys! thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I'm with Eamon - bring on John Parr "Man in Motion"
    love that song! ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Heroic Warrior
    Keep pumping these out, Val! Bring on #'s 87-90!

I agree with Eamon. even as a kid I found some of the action scenes in the Filmation cartoon rather goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    YES!
    I love the wallpaper by the way!!
    That would make a great T-shirt

Already had 3 comments at work:
    http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/r...k/ef7b903f.jpg
    I might have missed it, but where can I download that image? it's awesome!

AH!!!! Just finished it! Loved it!

Ok...

[holds out Roast Gooble bowl]... can I have some more please?

...lol

I've gone on a bit of a bit of an up and down roller coaster ride with Filmation.

I got into He-man when I was around 5 years old. I think that's a perfect age to start watching that cartoon. I thought it was the best thing ever, frankly.

Then, by the time I was 8 I had moved on from He-man and was more into watching Transformers, Thundercats and Silverhawks. Shortly followed by more live action sci-fi like Doctor Who and Star Trek: TNG and the like. I watched a little of She-Ra at the start but pretty much after the first of 87 I guess I had moved on from He-man. Filmation just didn't hold my interest any more at that age.

And honestly, there was this HUGE gap where I found Filmation plodding and entirely laughable besides a few shows here and there. That was pretty much my teens (where I didn't think much about He-man at all) and a lot of my 20s.

When 2002 came out, I viewed a few episodes with nostalgic eyes and smiled. But I can't say I was a fan of Filmation again.

It's really only in the last 3-4 years that I've gone back and can really admire the artistry at work. I think when you compare things like the MYP transformation sequence and the Filmation sequence you realize how brilliant the latter was. Or look at the beautiful realization of Eternia in Filmation. It's really spectacular and far more interesting a vision than we've gotten since. I do laugh at some Filmation stuff now, but I can look at the audience it was intended for (the age I was at when I first started watching!) and realize that actually it's quite a thoughtful show for that age group.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

I'm gonna have to agree with Mr. Staples in his assesment of 80's cartoons, they were all cheesy to some degree. The cartoon with the best animation was Duck Tales because Disney put so much into it. It had a bigger budget.

Shows like G.I.Joe, Transformers and Thundercats had episodes were the animation was a higher quality like Arise, Serpentor, Arise or the first mini-series for Thundercats and Transformers. As compared to the openings for Thundercats, Transformers and G.I.Joe they all had great animation and He-Man's was pretty boring. New Adventures had a better opening than He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Well, at least there was more action.

I find them all hard to watch these days especially with shows like Young Justice and DVDs of Batman the Animated Series readily available. I tell you I can still watch the first 2 G.I.Joe movies the MASS Device from 1983 and The Revenge of Cobra from 1984. Since they were mini-series the animation was pretty good. I can stand to watch more She-Ra than He-Man these days. Maybe it's because the animation is better or I find watching beautiful women fight monsters on another plant with the occasional He-Man guest star spot more appealing.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Nice Gooble episode guys, thanks.
    Although for me Filmation never represented how I looked at MOTU (I always thought the comics did that task greatly, especially through Alcala's art), I always loved the colors and the background designs, and I still do til this day, and I'm very thankful for that.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashWatchman View Post
    I might have missed it, but where can I download that image? it's awesome!
    You can get them if you have the app.
    They are now created by created by Matt Tyree, and before him by the RAW.
    Johan Eggink aka Eterniandreams

[email protected]

Yes I do agree all 80's cartoons all have a certain amount of cheese to some degree but I do think Filmation's MOTU had more then most.
    If I compare what I would consider to be the 'Big Four' toy based cartoons of the 80's, MOTU, Thundercats, Transformers and GI Joe/Action Force, then even though MOTU is by far my favourite property (I don't even follow Transformers and GI Joe/Action Force) I have to disagree with you guys and say I think Filmation's MOTU has aged the worst out of all of them. Don't get me wrong I do like the Filmation cartoon but I think the other three are much more watchable as an adult.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

I agree with Eamon in almost everything he said in this episode!
    It is true that filmation masters was intended for kids, but there are a lot of things that make it goofy in the story or may be dialogs, sometimes there are some characters that are goofy. On the other hand while watching it again the animation and the locations is full of magic, IMO that is something that no other cartoon has acomplished. I love MYP but only in the story and that it puts the characters in different situations, but it doesn't transport me to Eternia like filmation does. May be that's the same with the new comics those forest seems like ordinary forest not some Eternia location.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Yes I do agree all 80's cartoons all have a certain amount of cheese to some degree but I do think Filmation's MOTU had more then most.
    If I compare what I would consider to be the 'Big Four' toy based cartoons of the 80's, MOTU, Thundercats, Transformers and GI Joe/Action Force, then even though MOTU is by far my favourite property (I don't even follow Transformers and GI Joe/Action Force) I have to disagree with you guys and say I think Filmation's MOTU has aged the worst out of all of them. Don't get me wrong I do like the Filmation cartoon but I think the other three are much more watchable as an adult.
    I've watched all of the above again as they'd been released on DVD, and I differ with your opinion; ALL had some major weaknesses, but MOTU still comes out on top.

GI Joe - So many characters, it was hard to really develop anyone, and too often they painted the characters with too broad a stroke, making them almost a caricature rather than a character. The Cobra schemes were often ridiculous and the Commander was a bungler. The multi-part stories, while often having good parts in them, became majorly formulaic. And the animation was often sketchy and jerky, although there were moments (the hilarious animated expression on Duke's face in the very first episode as he meets the disguised Baroness as an obnoxious military liaison is still one of the best face shots in all of animation) Despite the weaknesses, though, the interplay between the characters could, in the best episodes, be a joy to watch, and the acting was pretty good.

Thundercats - A good premise and lots of colorful characters, but stiff acting brought many stories down. Also, many of the scripts were stiff, as well (way too many by Bob Haney, one of the corniest comic book writers of all time). On the good side, while the mutants were bunglers, Mumm-Ra was actually a credible threat, and the story, unlike most cartoons at the time, actually progressed, with major changes that didn't involve just adding toys to the toy line.

Transformers - Most of the same strengths and weaknesses as GI Joe (not surprising as they were both done by Sunbow/Marvel animation), plus a mythos that contradicts itself all over the place. first Autobots can fly, then later they can't. Robots are created and sentient on Earth, but then we find only Vector Sigma can give a robot sentience. There's no coherent mythos here, it's all over the place, and that really hurts the toon as whole.

MOTU - Again, there are weaknesses; the use of stock footage is very noticable, and the occasional reversal of character's parts harkens back to the Hanna Barbera Superfriends where we often saw Supes or Robin's symbol backwards or miscolored. And Skeletor and his henchmen were as bumbling in many episodes as any other cartoon characters at the time. And there were stories that got downright silly. But MOTU shone in a few areas compared to other toons of the time. Many of the best stories broke the formulas so common in the 80's; episodes like "Into the Abyss" stood almost alone, with no other series I recall at the time having an episode almost completely devoted to the characters rather than a battle. And issues that often didn't get raised elsewhere, like the consequences of battle when it's real, got some non-preachy showcasing. The animation, though re-used, tended to be smoother, and no cartoon had such distinct character designs, right down to the facial features. With the exception of our beloved Lou Scheimer as Randor, the acting was fluid and believable, and only a few scripts like "She-Demon of Phantos" had stiff, cringe-worthy dialogue. The characters were more real and alive than in a lot of live-action shows I've seen, and that's what always managed to draw me in and overcome any of the story weaknesses.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I've watched all of the above again as they'd been released on DVD, and I differ with your opinion; ALL had some major weaknesses, but MOTU still comes out on top.
    I also think She-Ra holds up a bit better than He-Man in regards to the Filmation toons.

I was never a Transformers, ThunderCats, or GI Joe fan as a kid. So even in the 80s I couldn't stomach them. I did give ThunderCats a second shot when it use to air on Toonami on CN and still didn't like it. I did like the new series that just aired, though.

I really don't think I am blinded by nostalgia either with Filmation, which is a common counter-argument. I was also a HUGE Inspector Gadget fan and that toon definitely hasn't held up for me after re-watching it today.

Heroic Warrior
    I think, most Filmation episodes had horrible stories and there were no presence of continuity.

Also I was very annoyed by the ever-appearing goofy Teela & Orko. Characters I had as figures were rarly or never portrayed and I also get the impression that even for children, the plot was not well executed.

BUT:

The Filmation cartoon got the best capture of Eternia as a different planet, Grayskull was never shown so mystical as in this cartoon. Also the landscapes are, what Eternia is all about for me, personally. The 200x cartoon never reached the quality of the background drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    You can get them if you have the app.
    They are now created by created by Matt Tyree, and before him by the RAW.
    bummer.... dont have the app