Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 092 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 092 Discussion!

Episode 092 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss
    Icon Heroes card holder and letter opener,
    Hasbro SDCC exclusives and purchasing,
    Comparison Time t-shirts,
    Griffin and beasts,
    MOTUC: The Lost Knight,
    redesigning characters vs a consistent look,
    time travel trouble,
    story-telling and violence,
    scare glows,
    time travel,
    adding characters to the line,
    new continuities vs existing continuities,
    Four Horsemen and redesigns,
    the importance of He-Man himself
    and more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    none

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    none

Intro/Outro info:
    Song: Happy Aye
    Album: N/A (live recording)
    Band: Brazilliance (w/ forum user RSavage)
    ***Please support these Artists! Many are fans of MOTU and POP, and some are fans here in our community.

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 29 minutes, 48 seconds

Direct link for Episode 092

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Widget
    cool. 93 is far off?

Awesome! Looking for a nighttime podcast and will enjoy some Gooble goodness!

Will need to Skype a question or two sometime.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    As always Val, you are the man!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Sweet, downloading now, thank you Val.

Horde Prime sucks.

Nobody should be above Hordak in the Horde, hell he should be Horde Prime.

Compele disagree with you guys reviewing the comic.

I think your coming at it to serious, This is a side comic, its not part of the main series, If anything it seems its a small prolog before the main series itself.

The redesigns are based on Phillip Tan character sheets, he is the one to critic on those not howard porter ( who also suffered a bad hand injury and is the reason his art is not what it was in his JLA days)

Eamon said the JMS didn't have a redesigned Thor in his run, yeah he did, his thor looked quite different to those that came before and added the chainmail, thor is an example of redesigns when they work.

As for people saying Mattel said we can't have redesigns of the characters they never said that! what scott has said is the don't want multiple looks in the one toyline, the only exception to this is when they have other media behind it, which is exactly what this is "other media"

Spector didn't have a big part in this issue, didn't even have a cameo he was mentioned, Scott and Geoff are friends, it could be simply the writer giving his mates character a nod.

It dosen't follow the classics Bio at all, got read Sir Lazerlots bio and read the mini comic, though there are some beats its is clearly a different story and not the same universe.

I am not trying to have a go at anyone, you guys are passionate and a i love that but i think you guys have come into this small side comic expecting way more then it was ever meant to deliver, It would be like watching "Alien" cause you loved prometheus but being upset because what you really wanted was more space jockey. Its a side story this digital comic line is called "Masters of the universe" its about the characters in the world, The main title is "He-man and the..." and is were you get that stuff.

Now i think there were flaws to the mini comic itself but it think you guys should revisit it with move open mind and less expection. The last two by mike costa were brillent.

As i said not trying to have a go, Love hearing ya's talk and enjoy others opinions just throwing out my own

I'm only about halfway through the show right now, but great job as always, guys. I had to chuckle a bit when you were talking about time travel and how maybe the timeline found a way to correct itself after the events of the 1987 movie. Imagine if at the end of the film, we fade out on Kevin and Julie celebrating in the middle of the street to a title card that says, "Unfortunately, Julie's parents were killed an hour later in a horrible car crash." The End. Thanks to you guys, I'm always going to think of that when I see this movie now.

That said, I completely agree that time travel tends to work best when events simply play out the way they were always meant to. Those of us who are longtime Star Trek fans know how convoluted and confusing time travel can get if it's used too often.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

GREAT SHOW! THANKS VAL, DAN, DANIELLE, EAMON

i agree - nostalgia is the biggest push for MOUTC - if it wasn't for nostalgia i wouldn't collect it ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

These are really interesting to listen to in retrospect. Of course, in 20/20 hindsight some of the worries about the digital comic seems kind of overblown now. Looking forward to what you guys think of the series now that we have a clearer sense of it (and as it seems to be getting better with each issue) and also what you think about the first issue of the actual comic (hopefully the latter is next issue?)

I definitely disagree that new characters should only come in after everything else is explored, though. I think adding in some new characters from the start can bring a freshness to the stories right from the start, especially if they are well woven into mythos and they carve out their own niche. I kind of feel like even SLL's appearance fulfilled that. It was very much a side story. Of course, we only really know the full impact it'd have (not much) now. I do still think it could have been later in the digital series but since it was basically a prequel and set-up to issue #1 it made sense.

Still not in love with the Evil Warrior redesigns. At least some of the more recent stuff (Man-At-Arm, Randor) have been cool.

Also as for Sir Lazerlot not bringing in new readers you missed a really big part of what he brings with him and thats Geoff Johns, It is hard to explain how big Geoff is to non comic book readers but he is a fanboy fav,( I Imagine currently ya Joss whedon and Nolan might be comparable in film terms) Having his name on the book probably brought in more new people then having he-man (who isn't meant to really be a focus in the side series anyway). Not to mention this story takes place before issue 1 as a prolog, having it after loses the effect of the ending of He-man and the... #1

As Jon Wes says hindsight is big factor here too, i look forward to what you think moving forward

Snappy Threader
    Just listened. Excellent once again....

I've listened to the bulk of the episode.

Overall I agree on most of the points regarding the the Sir-Laser-Lot comic.

To spring board off of what Jon Wes said about new characters... I don't entirely think that they have to late until later to bring new characters into the mix, but to start off with the first able (in any form/media) MOTU comic in nearly a decade with a "side story" completely dedicated to a character that most people don't know about or don't care for, it's not the best idea.

I could understand if He-Man or another more well known MOTU character were the focus of the comic with maybe Sir-Laser-Lot having a small role to introduce us to him. I also wouldn't have minded (and would have preferred compared to this) to perhaps have it kick off with a comic where He-Man battles Draego-Man if they were going to even have a 30th anniversary character appear in the first digital comic.... though I understand that with Geoff Johns being involved, he wanted to use the character that he created.

But I do think it was very bad form to start out with the very first issue completely focusing on an unknown character with there being little more than a 'cameo' appearance by some major villains on the last page.

I also agree with some of Mattel's statements being a bit contradictory by saying that the comic will be something all it's own, but then start off with something straight out of (and originated in) MOTUC.

I will, however, say this... while the redesigns largely leave something to be desired, I am actually kind of glad that Mattel has contradicted their "one line, one property, one look" stance on things. It hopefully means that they are "evolving" in at least that respect, and when/if a movie ever gets off the ground, hopefully it will mean that Mattel will still allow other comics, products, etc in other forms with other looks/designs to co-exist with any movie related swag and merchandise. I know the concern of Mattel being stringent about this was brought up on a previous RGB episode.... hopefully that is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie3429 View Post
    Also as for Sir Lazerlot not bringing in new readers you missed a really big part of what he brings with him and thats Geoff Johns, It is hard to explain how big Geoff is to non comic book readers but he is a fanboy fav,( I Imagine currently ya Joss whedon and Nolan might be comparable in film terms) Having his name on the book probably brought in more new people then having he-man
    Really?! According to what I've been reading here and on a myriad of different boards covering film, action figures, comics, etc., Geoff is a very divisive creator. Some love him and follow his work religiously, but most are derisive and flat out unkind to his contributions. Makes me think that perhaps most didn't flock to the MOTU comic so much due to his work, but moreso because they recognize in the comic a little slice of their childhood love for the Masters property.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Just finished listening, about the new GI Joe and Transformers characters. They have introduced new ones, but they don't have the staying power as the originals with very few exceptions. GI Joe introduced Snake Eyes pupil Kamakura and he's become pretty popular. Transformers introduced a samurai kinda guy named Drift and he seems to be pretty popular too.

I think it's hard to add onto a brand that we loved when we were young. That was the first way we saw it and unless new characters popped in while were growing with it, they don't have much of a chance. For instance, the latter part of the original line gave us guys like Rio Blast, Extendar, scareglow an the snake men. To me they still have that, new character feel to them, however the snake men got a boost from the 200X series. Same can be said for the second season of Transformers, after the movie, we got Rodimus, Arcee, Kup, Springer and Ultra Magnus. They were kinda rejected because they weren't the originals we fell in love with and have fallen to cameos and a supporting cast. GI Joe, the same thing, they brought in Falcon, Jinx, Big Lob, Tunnel Rat, Chuckles and Slaughter Marauders, while they were pretty col, nothin beats Duke, Flint, Scarlet, Lady Jay and Snake Eyes.

Now, these characters have been given a boost with the IDW books and Other cartoon series's. Unless a character is introduced and given a HUGE push and GOOD writing, they will find there way into some fans hearts, probably mine, I have all the characters listed before in my collections. But they will always be second or third tier. Why? Because they weren't there in the beginning. This is just my thought and OPINION.

Eamon comments about Castle Grayskull got me wondering who actually deigned the 200x Castle Grayskull? I Don't think it was the 4HM was it? So it must have been Mattel in house or MYP?

Val did you say MVC were planning on doing a Heroic Icons series at one point? If I heard that correct, which characters did you have in mind for this series?

Danielle's comments that Mattel must give DC some kind of source material/information to work from and that its probably the bio's got me thinking she's probably right. What they should have given them is the Bible James Eatock wrote for Mattel and MYP.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie3429 View Post
    As for people saying Mattel said we can't have redesigns of the characters they never said that! what scott has said is the don't want multiple looks in the one toyline, the only exception to this is when they have other media behind it, which is exactly what this is "other media"
    This is true and a good point. Scott even said this on a RGD. In Mattel's eyes redesigns/multiple looks are OK as long as you have current media of some sort to go with them. But I still wish we could get 200x heads.
    Last edited by 13977; August 15, 2012 at 04:52am.
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Really?! According to what I've been reading here and on a myriad of different boards covering film, action figures, comics, etc., Geoff is a very divisive creator. Some love him and follow his work religiously, but most are derisive and flat out unkind to his contributions. Makes me think that perhaps most didn't flock to the MOTU comic so much due to his work, but moreso because they recognize in the comic a little slice of their childhood love for the Masters property.
    If you read alot of he-man posts you'd think most fans hate MOTUC ... but at the end of the day most fans really enjoy them and buy them ... think of geoff like that for comics...

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Eamon comments about Castle Grayskull got me wondering who actually deigned the 200x Castle Grayskull? I Don't think it was the 4HM was it? So it must have been Mattel in house or MYP?
    I'm trying to reach far back into my mind... but I'm 75% sure CG was designed in-house at Mattel.

It was in-house at Mattel from what I recall.

Val did you say MVC were planning on doing a Heroic Icons series at one point? If I heard that correct, which characters did you have in mind for this series?
    Yep!
    A Stratos was planned with Leanne Hannah (that is why issue 7 of Vol 3 was a Stratos one-shot),
    a Man-at-Arms (I don't remember anyone being attached),
    a Mekaneck (written by Ian Richter),
    and I believe that was all that had been planned out. But we never made much progress beyond a rough plot by Ian.

It's getting harder to remember details as the years pass. It's been almost 10 years, after all. Most anything I say these days, I attach the condition "From what I think I can remember"

This is true and a good point. Scott even said this on a RGD. In Mattel's eyes redesigns/multiple looks are OK as long as you have current media of some sort to go with them. But I still wish we could get 200x heads.
    Well...Mattel should go with what 1980's Mattel learned regarding multiple MOTU looks. Mattel tried to sue a company for ripping off MOTU. Mattel LOST the case, because there were multiple looks of characters. Since there was not one specific look for each character, the judge could not rule that "He-Man" was ripped off. So...yeah. Mattel is forgetting costly lessons, I guess.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Now that makes me wonder what a 4HM designed 200x Castle Grayskull would have looked like. I wonder if they ever did a sketch of it like they did with the characters? That would be a cool thing to show at Power Con if they did.

Yep!
    A Stratos was planned with Leanne Hannah (that is why issue 7 of Vol 3 was a Stratos one-shot),
    and I believe that was all that had been planned out. But we never made much progress beyond a rough plot by Ian.

It's getting harder to remember details as the years pass. It's been almost 10 years, after all. Most anything I say these days, I attach the condition "From what I think I can remember"
    Sweet!
    So was issue 7 of Vol 3 the actual issue that was planned for the Heroic Icons series then but it got moved to Vol3 when the Heroic Icons series got cancelled?
    Um, I guessing the Man-at-Arms issue would probably have had Illumina and Dekker in and dealt with them training him and inducting him into the Guardians of Grayskull?
    The Mekaneck issue was going to be written by Ian Richter, nice
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Man I wish we got that Marv Wolfman one with Randor, some of the pages popped up on DA not so long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

Yep!

NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

My take on the comic leading with Sir-Laser-Lot is that DC thinks Geoff Johns can turn any comic into gold. Therefore, the laser knight is promoting the comic instead of the other way around.
    It’s corporate logic at work.
    Completely agree with the time travel element, over played. Other than that, the comic is good. Kind of silly, but it’s fun to have a Master’s comic.

Thanks for the dinner!