View Poll Results: MOTU Origins aimed at kids or adults?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • kids

6 14.29%
  • adults

0 0%
  • both

36 85.71%

Thread: MOTU Origins ... aimed at kids or adults?

MOTU Origins ... aimed at kids or adults?

Who do you think Mattel is aiming for with the Origins product line?

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely both...which is why Mattel dropped Classics, IMHO.

I never bought the argument that Origins was specifically for children and no one else.
    Wanted in MOTUC: 1) Masks of Power Demons 2) Mini-Comics Tri-Klops 3) Hoove 4) Vintage Attack Trak 5) Leech (Club Grayskull)
    Like Shock Rock? Check out my band: www.reverbnation.com/massrejection

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Definitely both...which is why Mattel dropped Classics, IMHO.

I never bought the argument that Origins was specifically for children and no one else.
    Of course it wasn’t.

But if they wanted to reach kids with MOTUC, they could just as well have re-released MOTUC at retail and sold them for the same price as Marvel Legends instead of dreaming up a new line. I guess this way they can get all those who bought MOTUC to buy the same figures they already own all over again.

A little of column A, a little of column B.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    Of course it wasn’t.

But if they wanted to reach kids with MOTUC, they could just as well have re-released MOTUC at retail and sold them for the same price as Marvel Legends instead of dreaming up a new line. I guess this way they can get all those who bought MOTUC to buy the same figures they already own all over again.
    While I don't believe this line is exclusively for kids, I don't feel that's the reason they don't just re-release MOTUC.

I think the big thing here is nostalgia. In fact, I feel that we're the secondary adult audience compared to nostalgic parents who don't know what a 200X or a Classics is. They'll be drawn in by the 5.5 style and nostalgia. I think that's also why they're so cheap, they want them to be impulse buys, at least at the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they'll ignore us (they changed Skeletor's boots, and I can only assume that's because they have someone skimming the forum). But I don't think we're the primary demographic they're going after.

Visually and physically, they really do seem to be aimed squarely at kids. I think that's why a lot of adult collectors have had a problem with them, design-wise, because they look like children's toys, as oppose to looking like "toys" aimed at adults. I put both, though, because Mattel are undoubtedly seeking to capture nostalgic adults along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Visually and physically, they really do seem to be aimed squarely at kids. I think that's why a lot of adult collectors have had a problem with them, design-wise, because they look like children's toys, as oppose to looking like "toys" aimed at adults.
    I agree totally.

Here in the 2000's, we adults are used to being catered to. A heck of a lot of the stuff we loved as children has been remade again and again, and with much more detail. We have gotten used to that. Then Origins comes along, and it's like "What the heck!?? These things just look like toys!!!"
    Odd Man Out

Court Magician
    The appeal of this line is its toyetic look and feel. If it goes into a realm of more sculpting detail and paint apps, it drifts too close to being Classics Lite. As it is, it is very distinctive and hits my nostalgic collecting heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're certainly aiming for nostalgic adults, but the "toyetic" nature of the figures and the fact that there will be two new cartoon series suggests they are hoping kids will take notice, as well.

Heroic Warrior
    I think it aims to adults...

...and their kids.

But mainly to adults.

I voted both. I think they’re trying to hook in kids making them cheaper or near the same price than most Fortnite figures depending on scale. Its really going to probably sell more to adults though. Their ideal scenario is to hook in the adults that grew up on the brand with kids who want them to enjoy He-Man again. You do have a segment of MOTU Classics fans who refuse to buy these going they will go away and then there’s sales to Skal-Pors who already have jumped on these. Time will ultimately tell. Sales are strong so far. A lot of retro toys constantly disappear as the Kenner type Empire figs and Real Ghostbusters don’t last long on the pegs.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Origins SDCC 2019 2 Pack, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Heroic Warrior
    Both. There's no doubt about it.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Mattel won't care who is buying their figures, but it definitely won't be kids as long as there is no new show, video game or movie.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    A little of column A, a little of column B.
    I use that line all the time LoL.

I’d say both.

I can’t imagine that the vintage style packaging is really for today’s kids. It’s not the “IN” look for kids toys. That nostalgia is meant to grab adult collectors.

The price is more affordable, for today’s parents and style of the sculpts are not the high end collector level of the anniversary lines of the early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    if they wanted to reach kids with MOTUC, they could just as well have re-released MOTUC at retail and sold them for the same price as Marvel Legends instead of dreaming up a new line. I guess this way they can get all those who bought MOTUC to buy the same figures they already own all over again.
    I don't think Mattel would be able to sell Classics figures (let alone vehicles and playsets) at retail. The Classics versions are just too large and expensive for kids to afford, and would take up too much shelf space for retailers. Mattel are attempting to relaunch the entire brand, and they definitely have big plans for it. They want kids (and adult collectors) to be able to get everything in this line - playsets, beasts, and vehicles - not just the figures. There is no way that massive Classics Castle Grayskull could be sold to children. Heck, I could barely afford it myself. Origins are also smaller, with fewer paint applications, and therefore cheaper to manufacture.

I also seriously doubt they would be able to sell MOTUC at the same price as Marvel Legends. Those Marvel figures are all brand new, and are aimed at both kids and collectors. Most He-Man collectors already have the MOTUC figures, and wouldn't want to re-buy toys they already own. MOTUC retail reissues would have to survive on being supported almost exclusively by children. Unless every kid has some very rich parents, that line would not be a longterm success.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    Pretty sure Mattel won't care who is buying their figures, but it definitely won't be kids as long as there is no new show, video game or movie.
    There are two new cartoons in production right now. The 2D Kevin Smith one, which is aimed at fans, and the cgi Rob David one, which will almost definitely be aimed at children.

Mattel interest and efforts are simply for Origins and soon Masterverse.
    Classics is in the "backburner", behind in any current priorities and plans (i.e. Mattel has no interest for it now, and in the near future but keeping them anyways).
    The best Classics can muster on its best day is a one off here and there at a time from other manufacturer hands if and only if it benefits Mattel.

(Don't dream of exclusives since Mattel will surely make their own Origins and Masterverse exclusives too in the future).

Still wishing a wave or two more to finish some very important characters for CG and Classics.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    (Don't dream of exclusives since Mattel will surely make their own Origins and Masterverse exclusives too in the future).
    Still wishing a wave or two more to finish some very important characters for CG and Classics.
    I know how you feel and that's from your passionate collector point of view but you shall see Origins in a BIGGER PICTURE and consider to support for the importance of the MOTU TOY LEGACY generally speaking;
    Toy production for MOTU is fortunatley not ending with Classics but it's keep going with more lines aimed at different targets. I too would like some Classics from time to time but I'm also very excited for MOTU past, present and beyond!
    it's time to move on and it will be even more exciting!

"The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    I know how you feel and that's from your passionate collector point of view but you shall see Origins in a BIGGER PICTURE and consider to support for the importance of the MOTU TOY LEGACY generally speaking;
    Toy production for MOTU is fortunatley not ending with Classics but it's keep going with more lines aimed at different targets. I too would like some Classics from time to time but I'm also very excited for MOTU past, present and beyond!
    it's time to move on and it will be even more exciting!

I am supportive of Origins and i think I made that clear enough from several post i made from the start Origins was announced. I definitely will buy some of it the moment i see them here locally (to support in words and wallet) this is after all is the MOTU that I love.

I am moving on from Classics, I made it clear I personally believe it's dead, I made a couple of post regarding that. I don't want to waste time hoping too, and prefer more time enjoying my stuff.

I will be very happy if I am wrong though.

Also moving on does not automatically means to collect by jumping into Origins or Masterverse line. Some collectors that moved on to what is happening now will just simply stop the collection on Classics or will just focus more on other toy lines that is not MOTU. But that does not mean they are abandoning MOTU, they will still buy and talk about MOTU but not really collecting.

Last edited by motogp_fanatic; August 28, 2020 at 09:51pm.

Definitively aimed at children. It is readily apparent that there is an eye toward some adult nostalgia but I'd define "aimed at" as the primary target so that is only secondary.

I'm glad that it is so clearly a child's line. I hope children actually buy into this line so it can find an audience and invigorate MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Definitively aimed at children. It is readily apparent that there is an eye toward some adult nostalgia but I'd define "aimed at" as the primary target so that is only secondary.

I'm glad that it is so clearly a child's line. I hope children actually buy into this line so it can find an audience and invigorate MOTU.
    Invigorate... that's the word for it, spot on..

Both.

Mattel isn't stupid. Why cut out an entire demographic of potential sales?

Market to both = make more money.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!