Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Top 5 Threats to Killing the Line...

Quote Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
    In my eyes those are massive hiccups, like i said a lot of people see past it in the whole excitement of the line, and toyguru/mattel rub their hands together lol.

But this is whats driven most people to drop subs, turn into cherry pickers ect, such a shame because some of the figures are awesome, and as for me i cant wait to get mantenna, so i will buy him but there is definitely no more sub or dos for me, i wait for reviews ect before i buy, when db skele turned up and his joints were all flaked off i was so angry, paying for the figure, shipping and customs to get a cheap flakey pos figure.
    OK, so out of the 100+ figures in the line, you receive one figure with flaky paint, and all of a sudden the line is dying, Mattel/ToyGuru are the devil, etc? What about all the other figures that came in with no issues? What about the awesome sculpts, the great accessories, the fact that people are even so passionate about MOTU to make such a line happen? Those FAR outweigh a little bit of flaky paint.

Not to say you shouldn't be upset about a figure with flaky paint, and you should get a replacement BUT when all that fans do is OBSESS over little stuff like that, it's BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Car manufacturer answer: Recall the defective item to ensure customer satisfaction & line survival.

Mattel's answer: If you don't like it, just cancel.
    Car manufacturer's answer. How likely will this kill someone vs the cost of fixing it? The only other option is, will this completely shut down the vehicle from operating normally. If it won't kill someone and won't shut the vehicle completely down they don't even issue a recall or fix. And on minors ones it can be paid for by the consumer to fix it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    Interesting...I would say the #1 thing killing the line is the exact opposite of this. I say it's fans who are so content to "just be happy we're getting anything" that are slowly ruining the line. Giving Mattel free passes on all their screw ups and back pedalling just enables them to do it again. Grayskull is a prime example. We were promised the world with this thing (giant size, molded interior walls, accessories, etc.) and then they reveal something that in no way lived up to the hype (other than its beautiful sculpt). Instead of being upset, the majority seem to be just like "Oh well, I don't care, I'm just glad to get anything!" But in the REAL world most customers see things like this and are more apt to say "...Um, yeah, thanks for the offer, but I'm not doing business with you." The more free passes Mattel is given on things like this, the more they keep doing it. And slowly people are dropping out of the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of the picky/spoiled/entitled attitude that is not going to do anything positive for the line.
    I don't think that's picky at all.

If we are paying for a $300 with shipping Castle Grayskull, you can bet fans are going to be upset if Mattel screws up the dimensions and takes away the accessories that were advertised! People ordered that product based on information. Alter that information and you change the number of people who ordered the thing.

We SHOULD question Mattel whenever they do weird **** like Stinkor's arms, Clawful's Mace, Snake Man-At-Arms or Mattel will think that they can do whatever they like when it comes to the production of these figures.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    OK, so out of the 100+ figures in the line, you receive one figure with flaky paint, and all of a sudden the line is dying, Mattel/ToyGuru are the devil, etc? What about all the other figures that came in with no issues? What about the awesome sculpts, the great accessories, the fact that people are even so passionate about MOTU to make such a line happen? Those FAR outweigh a little bit of flaky paint.

Not to say you shouldn't be upset about a figure with flaky paint, and you should get a replacement BUT when all that fans do is OBSESS over little stuff like that, it's BAD.
    Eh? thats just one example, and why should i have a flakey [email protected] figure thats cost me $60? ive got a stinkor who looks stupid, roboto with a cracked torso, snout spout with split trunk ect ect.

im not saying the line is dying, its fading thats all, i still look forward to the new figure announcements but i wont invest or support the line with a sub, not a chance.

we are talking about a MULTI MILLION dollar company not a corner shop, if you get a dud production figure you should just go "oh well i dont mind wasting $30-$50" screw ups if the next one is good.

dont get me wrong i love the line, but we put up with far too many failures and broken promises, i feel mattel are feeding on this and they love it.

It would have been nitpicky if they were more upfront about Greyskull with saying. This is what we would like to do, how big etc but we really need to make sure on pricing before we are able to do all that. it was some small blurb that we should all be used to from watching 80s toy commercials (ring airplanes are attached and don't rely fly it's all trick photography in barely legible type set).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I have to say this about the price increase. The theory is that the raise in price is to maintain the current level of product quality. In actuality, costs were raised while we received black plastic figures with chipping paint. I understand that costs need to go up to maintain quality, but I do NOT understand the concept of paying more and getting less.

The biggest threat killing the line? I used to think it was the fans being fickle, but I don't think this any longer. More than once in 2012/13 the remaining fans have proven that, although we lack numbers, we share a mutual passion to see MOTU continue, survive, and even thrive. No, the real threat is the drop off in collectors who have now realized that MOTUC isn't going to be the cash cow they once thought. This and the natural onset of ennui which results from sameness, poor character selection, and the natural desire to seek out other more fascinating and 'new' properties to follow. For these folks the bloom is off the rose and boredom and disinterest have set in followed by them leaving the property.

I really do think the majority reason subs dropped so intensely from 2012 to 2013 is the sheer volume of people who vacated the property because they aren't seeing a voluminous return on their investment. And why is this? I think it really comes down to character selection and the lack of passion on the secondary market in support of each and every figure Mattel produces in the MOTUC line. These would be collectors who had 5+ subs selling on the secondary market. Yes, some of these fans may have also been dyed in the wool and merely lost that passionate fire in collecting due to poor character selection, but I'd see a heavier split weighted towards those leaving due to poor investment opportunity than loss of interest is the reality. But, neither of these can be ignored as majority contributing factors.

So, how to fix this going forward? I think Mattel is doing its best by beefing up the character selection in 2013 and (as hinted) 2014 as well. Unfortunately much of the damage is already done; therefore, halting the hemorrhaging of fans leaving the property may be impossible to reverse, but at least Mattel sees the problems and are seeking to fix them. And who can discount that there must be some deep and passionate support somewhere out there, as Grayskull sold in numbers that really put a twinkle in Scott's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamblo View Post
    1) Sub system
    2) Design Issue and Q/C
    3) Shipping costs
    Realistically speaking- and with zero disrespect Mamblo- these seem more like annoyances than killers. And they are all factors we deal with in some manner or another on a monthly basis and yet fans still sub. Kind of like going to the same mechanic even though their customer service sucks and yet they do great mechanical work and keep your car running. You keep going because of the end result, not the service. I see Matty Collector in much the same way. It's not a perfect beast, but their 'issues' aren't deal breakers, at least for me.
    Last edited by Stygian360; March 21, 2013 at 01:41pm.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    The biggest threat killing the line? I used to think it was the fans being fickle, but I don't think this any longer. More than once in 2012/13 the remaining fans have proven that, although we lack numbers, we share a mutual passion to see MOTU continue, survive, and even thrive. No, the real threat is the drop off in collectors who have now realized that MOTUC isn't going to be the cash cow they once thought. This and the natural onset of ennui which results from sameness, poor character selection, and the natural desire to seek out other more fascinating and 'new' properties to follow. For these folks the bloom is off the rose and boredom and disinterest have set in followed by them leaving the property.

I really do think the majority reason subs dropped so intensely from 2012 to 2013 is the sheer volume of people who vacated the property because they aren't seeing a voluminous return on their investment. And why is this? I think it really comes down to character selection and the lack of passion on the secondary market in support of each and every figure Mattel produces in the MOTUC line. These would be collectors who had 5+ subs selling on the secondary market. Yes, some of these fans may have also been dyed in the wool and merely lost that passionate fire in collecting due to poor character selection, but I'd see a heavier split weighted towards those leaving due to poor investment opportunity than loss of interest is the reality. But, neither of these can be ignored as majority contributing factors.

So, how to fix this going forward? I think Mattel is doing its best by beefing up the character selection in 2013 and (as hinted) 2014 as well. Unfortunately much of the damage is already done; therefore, halting the hemorrhaging of fans leaving the property may be impossible to reverse, but at least Mattel sees the problems and are seeking to fix them. And who can discount that there must be some deep and passionate support somewhere out there, as Grayskull sold in numbers that really put a twinkle in Scott's eye.

Realistically speaking- and with zero disrespect Mamblo- these seem more like annoyances than killers. And they are all factors we deal with in some manner or another on a monthly basis and yet fans still sub. Kind of like going to the same mechanic even though their customer service sucks and yet they do great mechanical work and keep your car running. You keep going because of the end result, not the service. I see Matty Collector in much the same way. It's not a perfect beast, but their 'issues' aren't deal breakers, at least for me.
    Ya, the dwindling character selection is really going to be something that can very realistically kill the line. Most of the heavy hitters are already gone. When one of the most requested characters left is called "Madame Razz with Broom," that's the sound of the bottom of the barrel being hit .

I think that the best chance for keeping the line alive is by introducing interesting new characters. The Four Horseman have already proven that they're good at coming up with new characters (Draego Man). I'd like to see a "Son of He-Man" line more fully fleshed out, but I don't think we will see that until 2016, if the line is even alive by then.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think there will be a shift from Vintage characters to Filmation characters carrying the line.
    Now fans will want their long-awaited Filmation characters in plastic (characters that "fans should have gotten back in the 80's") after the Vintage fans get their final figure and that era is phased out. Madame Razz being the new "Ram Man" might support this idea.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    1. Cost of making the figure becomes too high.
    2. Cost of shipping figure to customer becomes too high.
    3. Quality of figure becomes too low
    4. Too many unknown or d-list figures being produced
    5. Too many cutbacks or broken promises on future releases

These are the 5 I feel that most fans will cease purchasing the line due to. Sad that some fans are quitting right now due to some of these taking place to them
    While I feel that 4 of your points are valid, the attitudes of fans online will not affect this line. People have been crying, screaming, attacking, insulting and trying to make everyone feel bad about everything that they don't like about this line, and it has not slowed it. Everything else however, valid, however nothing will change. Just enjoy what you can, ignore the people you can't stand anymore, and ride it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Madame Razz being the new "Ram Man" might support this idea.
    Sorry, but to me, if that statement is true, THAT will exemplify the main threat to killing the line, that being dwindling supply of popular characters. For me, Madame Razz is the MOTU equivalent of an Ice Cream Maker Guy or Yarna d'al Gargan (see Star Wars, for those who don't get the reference). No offense to those wanting Madame Razz, I just couldn't care less about her. She's the kind of figure I'd love to see as some sort of exclusive.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I think there will be a shift from Vintage characters to Filmation characters carrying the line.
    Then that truly is the death knell (in the current form) of this line. No way Filmation fans have the numbers to carry the line the way it's been. Maybe the line goes to 6 figures per year or something, but if Filmation is the future, then fans should be ready to go into "JLU Collector" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettX209 View Post
    Sorry, but to me, if that statement is true, THAT will exemplify the main threat to killing the line, that being dwindling supply of popular characters. For me, Madame Razz is the MOTU equivalent of an Ice Cream Maker Guy or Yarna d'al Gargan (see Star Wars, for those who don't get the reference).
    Agreed 100%. And IMO the blame lies solely with Mattel (Toyguru) for blowing through ALL of the A-listers too quickly. Sorry to people with personal faves (I've got 'em too: Gwildor, Extendar, etc) but there are NO, count 'em ZERO, A-listers left.

Heroic Warrior
    NCAA March Madness
    Appointing a new Pope
    the seemingly never ending huge winter storms that swept across the nation

Now fans will want their long-awaited Filmation characters in plastic (characters that "fans should have gotten back in the 80's") after the Vintage fans get their final figure and that era is phased out. Madame Razz being the new "Ram Man" might support this idea.
    I have to agree. After making almost every big-name vintage figure, Mattel will have to move to the next "big" thing: Filmation. I say this because the 80's television series still carries weight all these years later with many, many fans. (It is possible that new collectors might be attracted too.) This includes many of the fan-demanded PoP characters as well. (Where is my GLIMMER dang it!!!)

Mattel could be testing the waters with the Filmation mini-sub. If it sells well, then we may see a shift in focus from vintage design to Filmation design. This doesn't bother me in least - in fact I am excited for it. Plus, with so many of the vintage big names already done, now Mattel can focus more on New Adventures too!!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I think the biggest threat to the line is rising costs. There might come a time when that will impact on the Mattel group and really the option to cut back on paint apps and assessories is not an option. I think we may see figures for $40 max and will probably only get 6 figures per year in that case. I think Mattel needs to really look at playsets like Snake Mountain and Battle Ram sooner than later as rising costs may make these items too expensive to make in the future. We are getting Grayskull now, so while were in luck and its just about affordable , get in Snake Mountain, Fright Zone , Slime Pit and Eternia...heck there were only five playsets in all.

Heroic Warrior
    1) Too many figures in a sub (Make it 12 figures and make the quarterly/large figures their own sub)
    2) Rising product costs (reality to many collectors)
    3) international shipping
    4) digital river and their terrible support/customer service
    5a) Matty ignoring legit problems and focusing on bashing fans that have stupid complaints
    5b) Fans complaining too much. (It's one thing to be constructive in your comments, but another to endlessly complain).

nerdgasms.net